Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Let's Play UFO Afterlight: Recruiting  (Read 9679 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play UFO Afterlight: Recruiting
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 07:09:39 pm »

((Unfortunately, it seems we can't rename people. I'll look into modding it.))

Research has started on Firearms, to be followed up with preliminary drone research.

Note the lies. Their "preliminary research" always shows that the task is very easy, and that the results will be ready soon.
The difficulty indicators on the techs change based on the team's skill and training.

Work was started on some knives to fully outfit the team, and some explosives.

I had to make some choices here on who to send out on the scientific and technical rovers. Every unclaimed soldier/technician other than Pauline was sent out, since she has the best aim, and so only she remains available for claiming.
The scientific rover will be returning to base soon, and everybody inside is still claimable - Technicians have the driving skill, which speeds up rovers. Oddly, only the commander and base steward are scientist/technicians. In order to get the critical speed boost on the scientific rover, one of them needs to spend most of their time out of the base. I sent the base commander to the workshop to get the skills needed to train driving.
Also pictured: The guy in charge of organizing the base storage being sent away for most of the game.

I sent the scientific rover out to claim territory, starting in the south. Hopefully the commander will have finished learning how to drive by the time it gets done.

Here's the preliminary soldier squad. I am temporarily putting both technicians in the squad, since the early missions aren't a threat and we'll need that XP.

Discovering new lands south of us triggers the following:

Reticulan psy-speak always sounds like buzzing. Not English with a buzzing filter, just buzzing.
The commander, Mr. Balding Grey-hair, is once again speaking gibberish: Our only enemies during the first war were these Reticulans and mutant animals. The drones certainly aren't a threat at this point. It's possible to encounter other Mars enemies before them, but unlikely, as the lands between the starting position have pretty nice mines.

Here's their alliance offer. I accepted the generous offer of free explosives.
From now on, we may make a generic offer or request for equipment, resources, or land. I've never seen land work. Trading away resources is a terrible idea, since the only way to get those back is to break the alliance. Equipment trades tend to be a few guns and some ammo for something similar. It's decent for keeping one or two people armed with their gear, but making the guns gets expensive.

After the knives are made, I begin clearing the two nearby robot sites. Everyone had a spare gun, just in case, which went unused.

One mission down. Knifeswarm tactics, ho!

They really didn't like Benant.

Total loot: four crawling drone wrecks. It would have been six, but the UFO was weighed down too much to carry the other two. These drones are very heavy.
RAM/Ute gained no levels. Takudez (who might never even see another mission) and Sonlirain/Benat each gained two. Everyone else gained one. If their owners don't choose level-ups, I'll be putting points into willpower.

Shortly after the battles, we gained a pair of Reticulans. Tabatch't'kvlam is a pure soldier.

Oghla'k'nkmant is a soldier/scientist. Being a telepath, it can initially train two unique scientist traits. (Mind probe helps with interrogation research)

Both Reticulans have less HP (I think it's effectively -2 levels of constitution). Much like how humans can hear, Reticulans have a psychic sense, which can work through walls (And DOES allow targeting, if we want to try long-ranged bombardment). They can use special telekinetic weapons, which we don't have, but which can hit through walls. Reticulan medics get a ranged medical device with unlimited ammo.

We can research something new now!

Firearms have been researched. Just as soon as the technicians build a metal mine, we'll be able to build rifles, pistols, and robot rifles. Oddly, the ammo is different.

We can now study the Reticulan database, disassemble a crawling drone, or figure out how to reestablish communications with Earth. They might have more tech for us, because we obviously don't have enough options yet.

Decisions:
Research. We have a lot to study. We have guns, and have started down the path to drones. Medicine, military training, preliminary suit research, and Earth communications are pretty easy and the former three are pretty useful. If Earth can send us physical help, we'll want to ask when the planets are aligned properly. (I'm fairly confident we have a time limit there, but don't remember what it is. We don't need to drop everything to race for it, but can't really save it for last.)
Reticulan Technologies might be difficult, but we might be able to use the database they freely handed us to manufacture a convoluted casus belli, which would be useful sooner rather than later.

Finally, do we plan to keep our alliance with the Reticulans? There will be an opportunity to get more than two recruits later if we don't. Our Reticulan soldiers will require decent effort on figuring out how to trade for their specialized gear if we keep them. We could delay the decision, but I don't want to actively use extra-vulnerable XP-sinks we plan to get rid of, and things are generally easier if we engage in backstabbery.

Also, they did kinda help with shipping some ten thousand people to Mars, with building our base, and by giving us some free rockets.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2014, 09:29:47 pm »

Eh, I'd say don't worry too much about the renaming thing. Now, I would suggest keeping Tadeusz on the team given that we will need a medic. Now, backstabbing the reticulans is a VERY good idea, given the resources in their territory. I would suggest waiting until our team is more experienced and we've got better gear prior to invading them. Mostly because rocket launchers are a pain :P

There's also no time limit on the help either. Feel free to postpone at as long as you feel like.

Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 01:24:48 am »

Wait, so our first few missions were just swarm-shanking some robots?

*beep?*
"WRONG NEIGHBORHOOD MOTHAFUCKA!"
*tinktinktinktinktinktinktinktink*

Anyway, I say we stay best bros with our alien whatsits. They're here to help, and it'd really help our image if we don't immediately turn on anything near us.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 06:33:31 am »

We don't really have a diplomatic image to maintain (If we did, we'd still ditch them anyway :P )

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 02:55:56 pm »

Cool, a couple of people did worse than me on the second mission! Serves me right for taking the high-level character...

Reticulans have no willpower? I guess that explains why they surrendered when they had already pretty much exterminated all of humanity...

Could we have some spoilers please? The updates can be a little awkward to navigate...

Are these the good Reticulans or the bad Reticulans? (The good reticulans are more X-Files and the bad Reticulans are more War of the Worlds...)
Meh, I don't really care about them either way. If they give us new technicians and scientists than that would be useful, and there should be ways to exploit some completely expendable soldiers. How much dynamite can a reticulan lift?

I would like to open up one of these drones...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 04:49:51 pm »

There's also no time limit on the help either. Feel free to postpone at as long as you feel like.
Convenient.

We don't really have a diplomatic image to maintain (If we did, we'd still ditch them anyway :P )
It'll affect how I write the epilogue, if we even live that long. Backstabbing for the sake of it miiight not result in the best ending.

Could we have some spoilers please? The updates can be a little awkward to navigate...
Future updates will include spoiler tags, then.

Meh, I don't really care about them either way. If they give us new technicians and scientists than that would be useful, and there should be ways to exploit some completely expendable soldiers. How much dynamite can a reticulan lift?
Dynamite only explodes when placed. I've already (accidentally) tested exploding dynamite with other dynamite nearby, with no interesting results.
They only ever send those two soldiers. Once killed, they will not be replaced.

Are these the good Reticulans or the bad Reticulans? (The good reticulans are more X-Files and the bad Reticulans are more War of the Worlds...)
Alright. Spoilers for what they do in the first game. I don't know how much of this the people on Mars know about. We'll learn a bit more about them later in the game.
Spoiler: Spoilers! (click to show/hide)
So they're not really evil, but they did kinda nearly genocide Humanity anyway. I'm pretty sure the Mars leadership still holds a grudge.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 05:06:25 pm »

Well since i have no idea whitch stats are important for technicians in Afterlight i think i'll let you pick what's best for Benat.
Back in aftermath i used to try maximizing characters speed and accuracy but i haave no clue how things look in afterlight.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 11:05:37 pm »

Teehee, Aftermath. I remember rushing for collapsibles and relying heavily on grenades of various sorts in order to survive the first five seconds of the base battles. You would think that thee would have to be a better way than teleporting the team directly onto exposed terrain directly between two ambushes, but I guess must have surprised the enemies. And I am going to have to go with these being the War of the Worlds "bad" Reticulans. I appreciate what they were trying to do, and it is a pretty worthy goal in the scheme of things, but it doesn't really seem like 50 years of providing the resources necessary for humanity to just barely survive is really sufficient for large-sale forgiveness to set in...

Is there an effective way to ally with them but treat them like dirt and make them hate us?
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 01:10:59 am »

Eliminate the xeno scum.

(And I'll claim one of the solider/scientists.)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 01:14:24 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2014, 06:55:56 pm »

I count two people who want us to kill the Reticulans, and two who want to remain allies, at least nominally. If someone else doesn't break the tie, I'll plan on a later alliance breakage.

There wasn't much voting on research, other than drone dissection, so I elected for a spread of useful and relatively fast studies.
Spoiler: Research list (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: That One Mission (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Roster (click to show/hide)

Research on Automatic Defense Systems has been completed. I added research into Battle Drones at the end of the queue, since it's difficult and it will take a few days to outfit the team with normal guns. Drones will take even longer.

The main thing to decide now is how to go about this mission, or if we'll just ignore it. Trying a straight-up firefight would get us killed, even if we had researched armor.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2014, 07:07:43 pm »

Maybe we could mine the place where the enemies spawn with C4 (we do have some sort of mines right?)
If that's not an option i'd suggest using Diego and spending one of two rockets on the first wave to make it safer for him.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2014, 07:43:59 pm »

Maybe we could mine the place where the enemies spawn with C4 (we do have some sort of mines right?)
Our only explosives at the moment is dynamite, which explodes on a set timer I have no control over. I'd probably blow him up if I tried to time it so one exploded after he'd gone by.

If that's not an option i'd suggest using Diego and spending one of two rockets on the first wave to make it safer for him.
That's an option, yes. There's a convenient ledge overlooking the spawn site.

It's also possible to stand on that ledge and try to farm XP for a bit, but we might get hit with knockdown at a bad time and lose someone.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2014, 08:05:36 pm »

I vote to sacrifice a reticulan. But I don't have any opinions that are relevant to the mission.
Read the First Post!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2014, 08:12:58 pm »

The problem is that using the dynamite requires a character to be a technician to set it up, so we don't have a disposable option. On the flip side, it's the mech we have to destroy, not the object it's next to. That gives us a bit of space which to run away back to the ship.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2014, 08:25:01 pm »

The problem is that using the dynamite requires a character to be a technician to set it up, so we don't have a disposable option.
I think that's just landmines. Anyone can set up dynamite.

On the flip side, it's the mech we have to destroy, not the object it's next to. That gives us a bit of space which to run away back to the ship.
I'm glad you said this. I thought for sure it was the device. Testing indicates that you're right.
This does explain a few things :v
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6