Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Simunomics browser business sim - Anyone play this?  (Read 7159 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Simunomics browser business sim - Anyone play this?
« on: December 03, 2014, 02:27:03 am »

Simunomics is a browser based business sim that has apparently been around for at least six years if not longer. Seems to be still actively developed and it has a pretty active userbase. I didn't see a thread for it, but if my search skills have failed me feel free to link me to it.

Disclaimer: It's a freemium game, and the tickets can be sold to players - so you could technically get lots of money by buying tickets and selling to people (like PLEX in EVE and other games) but otherwise can advance just fine without ever buying any and it doesn't have any blatant pay to win content. Plus you can get premium by buying the tickets, but it looks like you would need to advance quite a bit before being able to do that.

Now that that's out of the way, it's a business sim game where you build factories, R&D facilities, raw material extraction places, retail shops, farms, etc. The goal is to make money by working somewhere in the chain of producing goods and selling said goods to the NPC consumers (which are affected by the market conditions, right now people are emigrating out of the biggest city by the millions because the cost of living has gone up so much and the average wages are so low, due to players lol). You can extract raw materials, produce products, or just buy products and sell them (or all of the above).

I've been having fun in it the last few days, but it seems it would benefit from some cooperation - so I figured I would post here and see if anyone wants to play with me. I haven't really found my niche yet, just starting table production and thinking about expanding into producing wood. I could still go pretty much any way though if anyone wanted to team up with me producing something.

A few things I learned as I went that would have been helpful to know at the start:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If anyone wants some help with starter funds it's illegal for me to just outright send funds (we would both be banned), but I could buy products that you buy from Allmart at much higher (like 50x or so) prices (like for instance to donate to charity). In cases where none or few of the producers are selling on the market it's difficult to acquire the donations anyway, so it would help me out too. And if I sold the awards to higher level players I could make a profit too. I'm Kemp Industries ingame, company number 46088, if anyone joins (or already plays) and wants to contact me to collaborate on a project or just get some tips (or get the aforementioned help with funds). I'm new myself, but I have a basic grasp on how things work.

Finally, a link:
http://www.simunomics.com/Login.php?Ref=46088

Yes, it's a referral link. It would give me free tickets if someone who clicks that ever buys premium. If for some reason you hate the idea of even possibly giving me anything at some time in the future, here is a link without it.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 02:30:11 am by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Simunomics browser business sim - Anyone play this?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 02:46:14 am »

Interesting. I'll give this a look-see.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 08:37:58 pm »

lol, I built a bunch of table factories in Abalesk since labor is cheaper there, then I suddenly realized there is no wood resource in Abalesk. So I'm going to have to ship it all in.

Guess it's not that big of a deal, but kind of funny that I picked the one place that you can't harvest wood to build factories that use nothing but wood.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 09:18:06 pm »

If anyone wants some help with starter funds it's illegal for me to just outright send funds (we would both be banned),
Sounds a little uptight :/
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 10:27:15 pm »

Well, I might get away with it, but their rules state that all trades must benefit both parties (which I'd guess is to prevent exploits like multi accounts feeding into one and such). And the only way to transfer money is trades. And there is an automated system monitoring trades apparently too. People can get fined for bad trades, or outright banned if they do it a lot, and it's all automatic - and from what I have heard in chat if it was flagged on a legit trade that actually benefited both parties you can get it reversed pretty quickly.

Or with tickets, you can apparently gift tickets to people and they could sell them. I haven't bought tickets though. Probably will in the future if the game holds my interest, but don't want to spend money on a game I may or may not play longer than a few weeks :)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 12:44:53 am »

It's definitely an anti-multi device. Bay12 has gotten banned from some browser games for "multi-ing" because of working together without discussing things in-game, so be careful with that.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 10:59:37 am »

Not sure if I really like this game or not lol. I really want to like it, but the demand models for retail are just awful. Same issue other online business games seem to suffer from. They make the prices exploitable to the extreme. Looking at the market data in the game, one quickly notices a pattern - products selling for 100 or more times the cost to make them.

The game creators obviously intended to make a balanced system. Looking at the help files, for instance, they expect you to produce video game systems for a few thousand, wholesale them for 5-10 thousand, and retail them for 15-30 thousand. Instead they are produced for a few thousand, wholesale for a million, and retail for 3.5 million.

It looks like one group of players found out you can drive prices up and up and up without hurting demand and everyone started doing it so that it became the go to way to make money. The game's guides (not official ones, but player ones) all suggest priming the markets like this to make a profit. So now the way to make lots of money is to find a product, produce a bunch of it, sell enough to drive the AI company out of the business, then steadily raise prices over time until you're way up hundreds of times above the products initial value. The only roadblock is new players coming along and trying to follow the tutorial, selling tons of product at cheap prices that drives your average back down. So people push new players into setting prices super high to keep the gravy train going.

Instead of the developers fixing a completely broken demand equation, they added additional checks that make those jacked up prices affect the economy. But that doesn't fix the problem, it just hurts the entire market - even players who are selling products for normal prices. So now the game's cities where people are making lots of money are trending way down in population, but prices are still going up because the demand equation is still broken and people are still raising prices because the game still lets them sell stuff. And with enough stores you can sell half a trillion dollars worth of a single product (like video game systems, or tires, or whatever) a day in a city of a million people, because all it takes to go over 100% demand even when your price is 10,000% of the production cost is more stores. Yeah, that makes sense.

It's still kind of enjoyable setting up production lines for products and selling them and stuff, but the only way to compete on a profit basis is to do the same silliness that others are doing.

If things worked IRL the same as in this game, I could open up 1000 convenience stores in a town of 1000 people and make a fortune selling sodas for $50,000 a pop. Everyone could have a job running their own convenience store, and take turns buying soda from each other.  :P

I'll still be playing this one for now if anyone still wants to join me. But does anyone know of a game similar to this one that has a bit more realistic demand model? I like the style of it, and the community is great and active, but the demand just irks me. I played Economies of Scale before but it has rampant cheaters, don't really know of any others. At least this one doesn't have cheaters, just a broken system lol.

But if anyone does want to play, get look through products and find something ridiculously overpriced. It makes getting started way easier and faster. You can make enough off a retail store in an hour to build another retail store.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 11:18:44 am by Paul »

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 11:20:55 am »

I started yesterday and yea it's becoming a lot less attractive to me for the reasons you mention.  It's HARD to make a non-goofy multiplayer economics game, I don't know of any decent ones.

Single player my gotos are still the Capitalism series, and Wall Street Raider (the DF of finance games, heh).  http://www.roninsoft.com/wsraider.htm  'cause I don't see it mentioned much and it deserves it.

BallC420

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 03:15:59 pm »

I played Economies of Scale before but it has rampant cheaters

Not so much anymore ... I think most of the players left after the final round of exploits let you max out your company's net worth to the largest 64bit number possible. And then there wasn't really anything else to do.

8)  :P  :-X

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 01:10:01 am »

I played Economies of Scale before but it has rampant cheaters

Not so much anymore ... I think most of the players left after the final round of exploits let you max out your company's net worth to the largest 64bit number possible. And then there wasn't really anything else to do.

8)  :P  :-X

Sadly last I checked EoS it was a near dead game, I remember even their forums were quite inactive.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 02:15:51 am »

It actually seems quite unreasonable to me. It's not like equations for demand are some esoteric high-order math understood only by aliens... Wouldn't it be reasonable to just tie some utility value to every in-game item that dictates how much the AI consumer can pay for stuff before it becomes too expensive and consumer stops buying? Maybe we will just build B12 economics simulation game? :D
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 02:54:48 am »

Oh yeah I remember economy of scale, it was a fun coffee breaker, and also we had that ginormous coal cartel running :P

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 03:00:36 am »

Maybe we will just build B12 economics simulation game? :D

Lemme know if that ever happens.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 03:02:16 am »

sign me up as well. can heven help here and there as long as it's java (I know a load more languages, but I hate working in all of them)

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 03:08:29 am »

Do you know C#? If not, try it. If yes, I do not understand you. :P It's like much better Java to me...
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: [1] 2