Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cavern plants  (Read 1066 times)

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
Cavern plants
« on: December 02, 2014, 11:07:32 am »

I would like to see variation in cavern plants like different plants for different layers in the same way that there are different trees in different layers. An extractable plant would be cool, or maybe a dye plant. Suggestions appreciated.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Cavern plants
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 12:06:33 pm »

I would like to see variation in cavern plants like different plants for different layers in the same way that there are different trees in different layers. An extractable plant would be cool, or maybe a dye plant. Suggestions appreciated.
This is all achievable with modding the raws.  The cavern layers are declared with the UNDERGROUND_DEPTH tag.  0 is the surface, and 1 to 3 are the cavern layers.  4 and 5 are, um, deeper.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 02:48:53 pm »

This is all achievable with modding the raws.  The cavern layers are declared with the UNDERGROUND_DEPTH tag.  0 is the surface, and 1 to 3 are the cavern layers.  4 and 5 are, um, deeper.
yes but i was thinking more along the lines of more vanilla plants each specific to different layers producing diffeent products increasing in value the deeper the level.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 04:50:17 am »

Yup.  I always found it weird that we had so many above-ground plants compared to underground plants.  This is DWARF fortress with an emphasis on all things dwarfy.  Then DF2014 hit and we gained an EXPLOSION of plants... yet not a single additional subterranean one. 

I'd personally like to see more poisons added to the game.  Not just extractable substances from fire snakes, but blight tubers and goblinbane or some other such that can be found deep in the caverns.  After being extracted to a glass vial, marksdwarves could carry it on them to tip their bolts.  Conversely, we could also grow medicinal herbs/plants "Hearty Moss".  There is already golden salve (I know its technically useless, but it sounds like some type of medicine) on the surface.  A plant that has sap that could double as an adhesive  (to coat traps/through on the floor) could be found on the 2nd layer.  Spices or tobacco-like plants could be grown as either trade goods or to provide happy thoughts.  "Cavern kick" could be inedible by itself, but when milled into a powder could be added to an already prepared meal (like decorations are added to other goods), act like liquids by being unable to serve as a "base" but free to add to another food-stuff, or act as a final "5th" ingredient.  However it is added, it would add a happy thought to the dwarf eating it even if he didn't prefer the meal "had an absolutely delicious meal recently!" The tobacco-like plants "Miner's delight" could make a happy though or just increase a dorf's stress tolerance.  An incredibly fibrous/oily mushroom that could serve as a fuel-substitute... say "fire caps" 5 fire caps could serve as one charcoal/coke.  I'd love to see some type of metal/stone based plant.  It would be a nifty prize to snag out of the third cavern layer.  Steel-stalks or razor bards could be a processed by a strand-extractor and serve as a poor man's candy.  I don't want it overpowered, just as a substitute for a weapons-grade material if you struck out on your embark screen.  I'm envisioning a fractional system like melting items into bars, where every 1 unit of "steel stalk/razor bard" would convert to 1/10 of a steel stalk wafer or something. The idea is to balance the infinite source of it with extra dwarf-power behind it. 

We could just pointless add variety to below ground crops, creating 3-4 (10) virtually identical plants that are completely interchangeable to the point that many even grow within the same biomes (how many -milet plants alone do we have in addition to other flour-only plants?) While variety would be nice, empty variety is still empty.  If nothing else plants of higher values should be lower in the cavern layers.  Sweet pods and Quarry bushes are the two highest value plants in the game but can easily be snagged out of the first cavern layer.  So sweet pods and quarry bushes could be moved to lower levels while more generic/low value crops could take their place alongside plump helmets in the first layer.  Maybe something called "Elf-Necks" (i'm imagining a very daintly/spindly mushroom with a satisfying "snap" as you break it XD)

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 09:11:42 am »

those are some great suggestions but for the weapon grade material producers i believe that they should make copper and tin for near iron grade bronze or iron at the very least but it should not be a got to method only a strike out on embark. Im working on a mod for underground trees to produce fruit. I wanted one to produce bone, i got a suggestion for millable spores in a spore tree.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 06:05:22 pm »

Bronze is only a hair under iron.  I didn't want the plant fibers to actually BE metals, but metal like substances from picking up minerals in the ground.  I wouldn't want a "copper shrub" and an "tin shrub" that we'd have to send 10 of each to the strand extractor to form the bars before sending to the smelter to forge bronze.  No, I wanted it to just be a separate material just under iron/bronze (but better than copper) and only found in the third cavern layer.  That way it can have its own properties and remain a candy-like material (a metallic cloth). 

kEVLAR! BLOODY KEVLAR! Well... "linothorax" really.  It was an ancient kevlar-like material made out of linen that Alexander the Great (along with the Greeks) used in battle.  It was probably made frrom around 10-20 linen sheets glued together, although the "linothorax" worm by Alexander's army was likely reinforced by chain or metal plats over vital areas.  Still, modern tests and what is believed to have made it have shown that it'll stop an arrow fired directly at someone at point blank ranges.  It is also resistant against slashing attacks from swords and axes, but provides little blunt protection. 

So we can have a metal-like thread (tensile strength increased by absorbing metals from the ground or some such) that can be woven into cloth that needs 10 pieces per armor... yet that armor functions almost as good as bronze/iron.  I suppose similar amounts of thread could also be directly used to make weapons where it is melted down and concentrated (maybe requiring even more thread). 

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 08:55:39 pm »

Bronze is only a hair under iron.  I didn't want the plant fibers to actually BE metals, but metal like substances from picking up minerals in the ground.  I wouldn't want a "copper shrub" and an "tin shrub" that we'd have to send 10 of each to the strand extractor to form the bars before sending to the smelter to forge bronze.  No, I wanted it to just be a separate material just under iron/bronze (but better than copper) and only found in the third cavern layer.  That way it can have its own properties and remain a candy-like material (a metallic cloth). 

kEVLAR! BLOODY KEVLAR! Well... "linothorax" really.  It was an ancient kevlar-like material made out of linen that Alexander the Great (along with the Greeks) used in battle.  It was probably made frrom around 10-20 linen sheets glued together, although the "linothorax" worm by Alexander's army was likely reinforced by chain or metal plats over vital areas.  Still, modern tests and what is believed to have made it have shown that it'll stop an arrow fired directly at someone at point blank ranges.  It is also resistant against slashing attacks from swords and axes, but provides little blunt protection. 

So we can have a metal-like thread (tensile strength increased by absorbing metals from the ground or some such) that can be woven into cloth that needs 10 pieces per armor... yet that armor functions almost as good as bronze/iron.  I suppose similar amounts of thread could also be directly used to make weapons where it is melted down and concentrated (maybe requiring even more thread).
This is actually a brilliant idea, I am going to attempt to add fruit to underground trees and was thinking of making some sort of metal bearing fruit for blood thorn because you would need a lot of blood thorns to get a substantial amount of product making ores still a go to metal source, plus it is fixed per tree, not affected by skills or fertilization. I now think that this may be the place for it because kevlar is not  metal but blood thorn is incredibly dense which would make sense if anything. Brilliant

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 08:57:18 pm »

I've never done any hardcore modding just some very very minor changes and its finals week so I probably will not create anything soon plus i have no freakiin clue on where to start.