Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: !!Feng Dwarfy!!  (Read 19782 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: !!Feng Dwarfy!!
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2015, 04:08:56 pm »

what i need is a fake vein generator so I can dig vein-like tunnels and then fill the remaining space with rooms, i think it will look good
3Dveins?

No. At least I don't think it does what I want, maybe I have formulated my question poorly.

What I want is a predesigned vein-like digging designation. Like a vein "brush" for mining.

I think there is an utility which saves digging designation plans for Dwarf Fortress, i do believe it will be useful for me. So I can make my vein brushes. But I don't remember the name... was it Quickfort or something ?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 04:29:17 pm by Naryar »

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2015, 04:40:51 pm »

Quickfort sort of does what you want.  It is basically a much more feature filled version of the in game macro system, that takes input from CSV files so you can download and share plans.  I don't think it includes BMP support, but I think it was Chromafort that can be used to designate in MS Paint or something similar and convert it to Quickfort style CSV.  I don't think Quickfort has enough features and automation for semirandomized veins, but you could design a handful of vein "stencils" and rotate and combine them for a more random look, and then touch it up by hand, but that would honestly be almost as easy to do using the in game macro system.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2015, 05:07:30 pm »

but you could design a handful of vein "stencils" and rotate and combine them for a more random look, and then touch it up by hand

That was what I was planning to do, yes. Anyways i'll go download that, thanks for the help.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2015, 07:30:59 pm »

Epic stuff people! I love your artwork!
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2015, 10:44:12 pm »

PTW
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2015, 03:52:52 am »

I'm rather proud of my most recent bedroom design.  It's based on spiral ("swastika") symmetry, which I've found works well with vertical central staircase oriented designs.  It uses radial offset corridors, with 3x3 bedrooms on one side, and hallways of 3x3 bedrooms on the other.

Here it is with 3 bedroom corridors, for 9 bedrooms to a quadrant and 36 overall, designated but not dug:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here it is expanded out to 5 bedroom corridors, for 20 to a quadrant, and 80 per floor, dug and smoothed:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This design is quite simple to designate, fitting nicely into 11 tile shift movements if you work out your keypress order correctly (which I will leave as an exercise for the reader, as this margin can not contain a full explanation), and it seems to have relatively efficient usage of space for a 3x3 while maintaining completely reasonable walk distances, even for the farthest rooms.  You can find more efficient designs (especially the highly vertical ones, the ones that share door tiles, and especially the ones with shared door tiles that are stairs), but none of them are as attractive or convenient to designate, and even the most efficient isn't honestly that much better.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 04:00:03 am by Sadrice »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2015, 03:56:55 am »

It looks good.

I feel it has a serious lack of up/down stairs, though...

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2015, 04:01:42 am »

There's 4 of them, in the middle.  That's where stairs go! However, the same design could be expanded out to larger stairwell designs.  Or at least 5x5.  It worked well with a 5x5 stairwell.  If you mean it needs more stair shafts than just the central one, well I disagree and think your fort looks weird.  1 central stair shaft is enough for any proper dwarf.  More than one is elf nonsense, inspired by trees that have more than one trunk.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 04:05:28 am by Sadrice »

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2015, 04:25:22 am »

This volcano might inspire me to do something fengdwarvish...

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2015, 06:38:08 am »

There's 4 of them, in the middle.  That's where stairs go! However, the same design could be expanded out to larger stairwell designs.  Or at least 5x5.  It worked well with a 5x5 stairwell.  If you mean it needs more stair shafts than just the central one, well I disagree and think your fort looks weird.  1 central stair shaft is enough for any proper dwarf.  More than one is elf nonsense, inspired by trees that have more than one trunk.

Nah, not more stair shafts, just more single stairs... You could put eight additional stairs, each one in the middle of a corridor. and 5x5 stairwell is excessive.

It'll look nicer and will have more access to the adjacent z-levels, without mentioning the quicker access to rooms.

This volcano might inspire me to do something fengdwarvish...

Build your fort in the volcano's world tile ONLY.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 06:41:42 am by Naryar »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2015, 10:44:45 am »

Nice. PTW

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2015, 02:48:24 pm »

I took the 2x2 bedroom design and made it a bit more decorative by alternating which tile the doorway came out of.  Creates a pattern like so: I T I T I T.

I've wanted to do something artsy for a while now, but I want it to be something I came up with and not somebody else's idea.  I'm usually really creative but this has me stumped.  I guess I could make a mosaic of one of the Phoebus sprites, but that's mostly an exercise in not misplacing stuff. 

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2015, 04:17:46 pm »

Lower floor of the (future) Kindergarten. Lined in the lightest available wood in a friendly color scheme.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2015, 01:12:38 pm »

I'd chose something a little less bright and more calm. Also, I would have changed the bedroom design by putting stairs on the edges of the design. If you build it in squares of that size and design, you won't run into mobility problems.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2015, 08:31:40 pm »

156 (roof)

155 (ground)

150 (workshop)

149 (living area)

big pit, nothing to look
|
|
|
|
|

123 (a mining site)

102 (tree farm #2)

100 (cavern/tree farm #1)

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8