Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: !!Feng Dwarfy!!  (Read 19805 times)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: !!Feng Dwarfy!!
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2014, 06:42:43 pm »

I like symmetry but my fortresses aways end up growing organically, it's nice to appreciate some nice designs from others, maybe someday I may get inspired a strange mood...
Also, welcome to the forums "aban shake handles", may your sanity last longer than the last newcomer one did.
In a time before time, I had a name.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2014, 07:49:04 pm »

I had made a "Vault" style fortress once, inspired by the Fallout games.  This was back before emotions were fixed.

It ended pretty much exactly how you'd expect.

It looked really cool, too.  Blood splattered up the walls, dead bodies piled up in random rooms, the hallways choked with miasmic rot, the fort flooding as the river slowly poured in through the top, leaving little pockets of air and slowly starving dwarves locked behind sealed doors....

Too bad that was before I saw this thread, it'd would have been some pretty cool screen caps.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 08:07:15 pm by evictedSaint »

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2014, 07:54:40 pm »

I had made a "Vault" style fortress once, inspired by the Fallout games.  This was back before emotions were fixed.

It looked really cool, too.  Blood splattered up the walls, dead bodies piled up in random rooms, the hallways choked with miasmic rot, the fort flooding as the river slowly poured in through the top, leaving little pockets of air and slowly starving dwarves locked behind sealed doors....

Ah! Post magma-apocalyptic life :D

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2014, 01:48:13 am »

IT WORKS, STONESENSE FINALLY, BAHWAHLKJHSDLKFJSDFKJSDFLKj
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yay!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 03:26:48 am by Max™ »

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2014, 02:46:17 am »

Technically made this in a community game and it was quite a long time ago, but still posting this here for fun.

Oh and btw this is NOT supposed to be pleasant architecture.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2014, 03:21:33 am »

Which game was that from, I could swear I remember seeing it.

Also, I just noticed that stonesense can tell when a tile has been flattened with tiletypes, that's why the bedroom picture has that weird layout of engravings on the floor:
I made the rooms by digging them out and engraving and such and later read about how simply having a massive room even if it overlaps will give better results, so I used tiletypes to convert all of the walls into floors, hence the weird gaps. The entire floor is engraved, but stonesense uses something to determine how it should represent the tiles which tiletypes won't fool apparently.

In fact, this is one of the earliest shots from that fort, I noticed how cute it was that the dorfs were leaving their old shoes at the entrance of their rooms:
That's the same staircase as in the stonesense shot above, but I've since flattened the walls with tiletypes to preserve the engravings.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 03:31:15 am by Max™ »

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2014, 05:21:25 am »

This was from Death Gate:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84451.0

All hail Darkwing, the Netherfowl! We had a duck that killed clowns from the deep, grew plump helmets in the circus, had a legendary, crutchwalking child (that was eaten by a clown during my reign... oops, I killed Timmy)...
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2014, 05:36:51 am »

Oh yeah, I got linked back to that after following your sig and hopping through the murdermachines thread I think.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2014, 09:00:58 am »

Too bad that was before I saw this thread, it'd would have been some pretty cool screen caps.
Reminds me of how I killed one of my first forts, I built a well in the middle of the dining room. Without pressure control.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2014, 12:14:42 pm »

No flood gate control? Nothing to seal the entrance with?

Were you courting disaster in your early days? :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

AbanShakehandles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • microscopes are fun
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2014, 12:42:08 pm »

My latest dining room is still on the way.

But I went digging in my v34.xx folder and found this little gem, Rogathtarem:
The embark landed on top a small foothill at the southeast tail of a mountain range.
A mountain stream flows in from the mountains to the northwest, before plunging down a natural 6 z-level (60ft?) waterfall
into a secluded pond, surrounded by cliffs on all sides, with 3 streams leading out of it.

At the base:
So I built a small bridge at the base of the waterfall.
It functions as a fishing zone, and alternative access to the food/drink stocks and the residential area.

Royal Quarters:
Our queen resides 2 z-levels above the bridge, in this beautiful cliffside dwelling.
The outer wall of the dining room is composed of clear glass windows, so that she may take in the
spectacular view while sitting in the highest quality wooden chairs eating off masterfully decorated electrum tables.
Ultimately, all the outer walls were going to be clear glass windows, and I was going to build a small balcony off her quarters.

Royal Baths:
So there's a little blood in the royal baths...
The electrum doors hung on wood posts on the right lead up to the royal quarters.
There is a statue of sperm whales, and one of a mermaid. The others are dorfs.
To the left of the actual bath, the well is composed of clear glass blocks. The golden bucket is suspended from an artifact wool rope.
The area behind the well are floored with clear glass blocks so that the machination which fills the baths can be seen.
(I did later find out dorfs can't see through clear glass block floors, but whatever.)

Royal Pumps:
These workings are what was intended to be able to be seen through the floor from above.
The royal baths are filled from a central pump, made of clear glass and silver. The walls surrounding the outflow are made of silver, and there is a silver fortification where the water enters the baths. My dorfs are aware of the anti-bacterial properties of sivler apparently.
The central pump is powered by 2 dwarven water reacters so that the royal baths are never empty.
It's like we're looking
down on Wayne's basement, only
that's not Wayne's basement.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2014, 02:37:09 pm »

I built the fort I posted above with a particular goal, after I discovered the hill to the east of the wagon had a column of stone running down the middle I left the column intact and engraved it, then put staircases inside of it, and later decided to remove them and used dfhack to fill it with magma, but the lack of symmetry bugged me, so I whipped up another column with a layer of soil all around it and used the external soil layer to engrave it before up-ramp removing the soil scaffolds.

Edit: in the ss below you can also see the reason I filled the columns with magma, I forgot you can't pressurize magma, and initially had them linked up with the hopes that opening the floodgates would have the magma rush out onto the surface, but sadly that was not to be. I did achieve this effect later with two MASSIVE pistons which actually made enough of a mess to overtop part of the fortifications and allowed some magma to leak down the stairs and take out a single gear... disabling my ability to shut off the monster until I could get a dorf to disassemble part of it...

The natural column extended down quite a bit below the ground layer so I kept digging down and engraving the area around it, did the same with the manufactured tower and filled it with magma:
The box to the north of the main fort is an enclosed pasture accessible while the pumpstacks are active, with another open air cistern on top of it that dumps through bridges at the north end, since the magma flow wasn't reaching that part of the map fast enough.

Later I created the open air magma cisterns with fortifications around the rims to keep dorfs from wandering into them.

I linked the above ground cisterns to the below ground cistern I built and filled the hard way from the volcano. Then I designated a pumpstack and suspended it all, unsuspending from the top down so the magma flies straight up to the top when active. Linked them to a four wheel reactor I nicknamed the monster, because there was no way to stop it originally. Later I added doors in the chamber under the reactor WHICH STILL DIDN'T WORK, so I included a couple of rooms full of braking gears which link to the shut-off hatch for the monster.

When I first embarked I had a ton of olivine blocks which I used to make the first enclosure around the wagon and entryways, and later incorporated it into the design of the rest of the fort along with the dorfwash:

The area where the military trains had the area under it excavated, floors were put in place as needed, and fortifications around the edges, so I can keep them away from the ground level if they're training whenever I pull the lever and flood the world:
You can also see the engraved vomit stockpile/party room, I had a lot of annoyance from undead keas and eagles so I put a column of obsidian over the party room with soil in the middle, smoothed the column and removed the soil down to the surface, then put the statues in and made it the meeting hall. Later I learned you can just use tiletypes l 1 st 0 sv 1 to get it lit/above ground/outside...

The farm area was more than sufficient because I started the fort with a hard cap of 20 until I got it set up to my liking:
Part of the pumpstacks are visible there, as well as some of my original plan to build steel surrounds for the magma around the columns, didn't have enough steel ready so I went ahead with obsidian instead.

Oh, and the bedroom/throne room/dining room for Urist McLegendary, who arrived at the fort with maxed out stats and skills, was then wrongfully accused of being a vampire, and later made a Duke as retribution. You can also see the monster reactor there, adjacent his room, as it was where I first placed him to keep him away from the populace until he started showing signs of hunger and thirst:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 02:48:30 pm by Max™ »

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2014, 03:06:15 pm »

I want to add a link to an old thread on design and symmetry: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=123792.0

I agree with most being said about constraints, but there is no reason in particular for this constraint to be rigid symmetry. No digging, no unnecessary digging (i.e. trying to use what you would dig out anyway aka mineral veins), following given lines (cavern pillars and carving fortress into cavern walls, using a cliff wall, settle around an empty vulcano tube), maximum visibility aka vampire crime prevention layout or even symmetrical designs working with rival lines/points of symmetry are all possible constraints to organise a fortress around.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2014, 03:34:55 pm »

Empty volcano tube?

The southwest rim was around 100 z higher than the northeast rim, so I dfhacked a riversource up on top and tweaked it so it flows down around the rim and produces a sheet waterfall around the entire tube.
The dining rooms/offices are accessed by stairs leading up from the bedrooms at the south/meeting hall at the north, and the fortifications mean everyone is getting misted and happy thoughts all the time.

Though, since they all carry crossbows, anything that tries to fly up the tube turns into a pincushion rapidly.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2014, 05:33:31 pm »

This thread is designed to be a kind of art gallery! Stop the spoilers! Just paste the images! But from what I've seen this is amazing stuff!

The outer wall of the dining room is composed of clear glass windows, so that she may take in the
spectacular view while sitting in the highest quality wooden chairs eating off masterfully decorated electrum tables.

That's a place I'd rather be :D

And Max™, want to post a save file?! I'd love to look at what you did in more detail that looks incredible!

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8