Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A strange occurrence in terrifying lands  (Read 1278 times)

ModerationOFrequnecy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A strange occurrence in terrifying lands
« on: November 28, 2014, 09:39:55 pm »

So, I was getting tiered of normal games and long lasting fortresses so I attempted to settle the lands in the terrifying surroundings I have done about 9 rounds of forts and come across a very strange thing. In (Dwarf Fortress 40_15 Starter Pack r2) that I am using because I cant be bothered updating again, in about my 10th try to concur these harsh lands. at the beginning with seven dorfs tunneling into the side of my new mountain home one of my people suddenly claims to be the king and then after taking a quick nap goes back to work..... in the mines.... I still have no idea what to do..
[/url]

[/img]

ModerationOFrequnecy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A strange occurrence in terrifying lands
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 09:44:09 pm »

So, I was getting tiered of normal games and long lasting fortresses so I attempted to settle the lands in the terrifying surroundings I have done about 9 rounds of forts and come across a very strange thing. In (Dwarf Fortress 40_15 Starter Pack r2) that I am using because I cant be bothered updating again, in about my 10th try to concur these harsh lands. at the beginning with seven dorfs tunneling into the side of my new mountain home one of my people suddenly claims to be the king and then after taking a quick nap goes back to work..... in the mines.... I still have no idea what to do..
[/url]

[/img]

It seems I just got a queen as well but as you would probably see I'm almost defiantly to die 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 09:48:39 pm by ModerationOFrequnecy »

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 09:51:52 pm »

If your civilisation falls, you get the king. In recent updates of the game, the nobles work just like everyone else does, but I find they tend to have longer rest breaks (it could be my imagination). It's not at all unusual for a dwarf to get ennobled, then carry on working. Happens all the time. I had a recent fort with no less than two dukes and their consorts, and two duchesses, and their consorts. Basically eight nobles. Other than mandating, demanding, and requiring things, they worked like any other noble.

It's at the bottom of this wikipage.

Check the {n} screen to see if he wants anything made for him.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Numeroid

• Bay Watcher
  • Back after a long hiatus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 09:52:03 pm »

This might be occurring if there are no remaining members of your Civ, but I'm not sure. Anyone else got any idea?

ModerationOFrequnecy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 09:58:23 pm »

If your civilisation falls, you get the king. In recent updates of the game, the nobles work just like everyone else does, but I find they tend to have longer rest breaks (it could be my imagination). It's not at all unusual for a dwarf to get ennobled, then carry on working. Happens all the time. I had a recent fort with no less than two dukes and their consorts, and two duchesses, and their consorts. Basically eight nobles. Other than mandating, demanding, and requiring things, they worked like any other noble.

It's at the bottom of this wikipage.

Check the {n} screen to see if he wants anything made for him.

He requires things that I will not have time to make for a while, just how depressed would he get if I don't make his mandates as well?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 10:16:28 pm »

He won't get depressed, but he will start throwing tantrums. You can set him to work making these things he wants, and perhaps re-purpose some of the rooms you already have in your fort. If you execute him for his angry tantrums, it is very likely that another dwarf will be chosen king, and it will continue.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 04:27:53 am »

I try to get their requirements to yellow soonish. Dig out 4 11x11 rooms and construct the 10 boxes and 5 of everything else. Smoothe the walls and start making some nice statues if you can. Gold works great, green glass is fine if you mass produce them and only use masterwork statues.

The monarchs I got early due to a dead dwarven civ turned out to be rather patient but that was before the emotion rewrite. In 40_15 the stress for not having royal rooms will probably accumulate soon and cause some problems.
Just kids...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)