Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: syndrome metal  (Read 1412 times)

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
syndrome metal
« on: November 28, 2014, 07:31:07 pm »

ok so I want to make a metal that carries a syndrome but there's a catch, I want it to cause the syndrome ONLY when whatever object it is breaks the skin. so I can have a venom blade that ONLY gives the syndrome if it cuts you, or a venom hammer that applies it if it pulps or cleaves asunder.

im a moding noob so you might have t explain things very slowly. ::)
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: syndrome metal
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 07:34:07 pm »

I know you can do this with DFHack, but I don't know how, and I could barely make sense of it when people tried to tell me how. I don't think you can do it with the raws, however.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 07:42:28 pm »

DANG IT!

....maybe it would be possible to make the metal constantly secrete a venom?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 07:47:18 pm »

You may notice that there's no secretion token for material definition.

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 08:12:05 pm »

Isn't "syndrome weapons" something that modders have been trying to do for a very long time, with no result? Not saying you should give up trying, just so you know what sort of wall you're up against. Best of luck, though!

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 08:16:41 pm »

if that big a wall then I have no were close to the expertise to handle it....we should call girlinhat. im not sure if she can mod but her !!SCIENCE!! is insanely dwarven. 

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 08:29:28 pm »

Godspeed, you magnificent bastard. (Or should that be Armokspeed?)

The only inorganic reaction I can think of is when a tile is mined. I believe that's how The Earth Strikes Back mod operates, along with a healthy dose of DFHack.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 08:48:40 pm »

This is only doable through DFHack I believe, but the necessary scripts (specifically modtools/item-trigger and modtools/add-syndrome) are already included with it. You need to create an onLoad.init file in the raw folder with the string

Code: [Select]
modtools/item-trigger -material (your metal) -onStrike -command [ modtools/add-syndrome -syndromeName (your syndrome) -target \\DEFENDER_ID ]
if I recall this correctly. In place of (your metal) would go the material definition token for it, and in place of (your syndrome) is the defined name in quotation marks of the syndrome (like "giant cave spider bite" - so your syndrome must have a defined SYN_NAME). The square-brackets are part of the init call, keep in mind.

You can also limit this to a specific item (like a weapon) with -itemtype (your item here) before the -command call, though as of the last update, putting in too many arguments will crash DF for whatever reason. Don't know, if that has been fixed.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 08:48:55 pm »

Isn't "syndrome weapons" something that modders have been trying to do for a very long time, with no result? Not saying you should give up trying, just so you know what sort of wall you're up against. Best of luck, though!

if that big a wall then I have no were close to the expertise to handle it....we should call girlinhat. im not sure if she can mod but her !!SCIENCE!! is insanely dwarven.

I succeeded over a year ago with DFHack and shared the results, which are now included in the main DFHack repository in modified form as item-trigger (see samanato above). Outside of DFHack, it's flatly impossible.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 09:12:12 pm »

soooo....how does DF hack work? (look im a total moding noob here, most I can do is add pet tags and make a few basic entity files)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 09:31:00 pm »

soooo....how does DF hack work? (look im a total moding noob here, most I can do is add pet tags and make a few basic entity files)

Go to DFHack thread, get it, read the readme, play around with existing functionality, come back with specific questions.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0