Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Unusual Habits While Gaming  (Read 14394 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual Habits While Gaming
« Reply #120 on: December 03, 2014, 06:05:47 am »

I game dressed as a giant rubber duck.

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 03, 2014, 06:50:46 am »

I game dressed as a giant rubber duck.

Please oh please start streaming!  :o

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 03, 2014, 10:11:27 am »

If a game allows aiming down the sights, I'll almost always do it. Even if it's a close-quarters firefight and I'm wielding some sort of shotgun, I'll take those extra .5 seconds to bring the sights up and make my shooting more accurate. This has caused many an online death when I should have just sprayed and prayed. :P

I used to do this in games like CoD until I realized just how much it was getting me killed. Playing something like Halo helps, in that most weapons don't have scopes and if they do, they're only for magnification and not for accuracy (obviously useful with sniper rifles or precise aim on distant targets, of course).

For a little while I found it amusing to run around in Modern Warfare 3 on 360 with one of the sniper rifles that instakilled with either a body-shot or head-shot, aiming where I expected people to be when I came around corners, and if I spotted someone there, I quickscoped and fired to avoid aim penalties, killing them. Of course, if they were somewhere else, I got gunned down before I could re-aim because they actually had crosshairs and automatic weapons, whereas I was trying to run and gun with a sniper rifle (I was getting kind of bored of the game by then, to be honest).

I saw most people play through the level cap multiple times. I made it halfway to the level cap, I think, before getting bored with the game.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2014, 10:42:36 am »

I used to play through FPSes with ADS (like CoD) only firing from the hip whenever I could because I like to imagine how absurd that must seem from the enemy's perspective.

I don't remember SWAT *4* having the ability to drop magazines, maybe they dropped that feature.  Or I just never noticed it.  It did track ammo in each magazine, with the reload key just swapping to the next one, which I really liked as a feature.  You could end up swapping back to a partially depleted magazine pretty easily.

Alien Swarm doesn't have a magic bullet-pool either, but sadly you just throw old magazines away instead of storing them.  I think everyone wastes a few nearly-few magazines when new to that game.
I wish there was just one game where you could actually see the guy putting the magazine back in his pocket.

Same here. For example, in Resident Evil 4, I knife everything, hoard ammo, never use any grenades outside of specific places, and never ever ever get a capacity or exclusive upgrade for a gun that still has ammo in it. All because ammo is finite, and despite the fact that there's tons.

Whenever possible, every character in an RPG must have the same level.

Finally, like the OP, I also commentate games in my head.
Habits of someone who's played through on Professional.

I've been reloading more than usual on EO2 since as long as no one faints and I don't switch party members, everyone has exactly the same XP values.

I like imagining my reactions to certain things if I was commentating but then I stop because I feel like an idiot.

I never let battles auto-resolve in strategy games. Even if I outnumber the enemy 10-1 with vastly superior units, I'll personally command every skirmish because I want to minimize my own casualties. Conversely, if I'm badly outmatched and there's basically no hope of victory, I'll stubbornly play through the battle anyway and seek to take out as many of the enemy as I can.
I always resolve never to auto resolve in Total War but eventually I start to get tired of playing through every battle, but as soon as I resort to it I always immediately regret it because ouch 100 casualties instead of 10. :c

I sometimes play videogames with my arms crossed.
How does that work?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2014, 12:16:49 pm »

If I have an almost-empty clip at the end of an encounter in an FPS, I will waste the ammo rather than have an uneven amount.

In games that I play alot, I'll restart if I make even a little mistake. I can't play Perfect Dark anymore because I'll abort the mission if I take any hits at all. Same with Star Fox 64, although I'll usually shove through until I lose a wing.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2014, 04:06:07 pm »

I never let battles auto-resolve in strategy games. Even if I outnumber the enemy 10-1 with vastly superior units, I'll personally command every skirmish because I want to minimize my own casualties. Conversely, if I'm badly outmatched and there's basically no hope of victory, I'll stubbornly play through the battle anyway and seek to take out as many of the enemy as I can.
I always resolve never to auto resolve in Total War but eventually I start to get tired of playing through every battle, but as soon as I resort to it I always immediately regret it because ouch 100 casualties instead of 10. :c

There are SOME events where using auto-resolve means you can achieve better result than you could even have with manual battles. Mostly with city sieges though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 05, 2014, 04:30:52 pm »

City and Castle Sieges being the large one.

Playing them out... if you are on the defense it is always best to play it out yourself. You can destroy the enemy thanks to your superior positioning and depending on your towers even destroy the entire enemy lines without ever harming your own.

If you are on the attack it is always best to simulate them. As there is few ways to defeat the enemy on those maps without creating excessive losses for yourself. There are exceptions (Cities if you have wall breakers CAN be sieged without excessive losses)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 05, 2014, 07:16:02 pm »

In Co-Op games, I try to make things as hard as possible for my partner if we're blowing through the campaign. Melee your ally! Shoulder bump!

"Dang it Birdy! Stop that!"

... Good times! It's all in good fun.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 05, 2014, 08:45:10 pm »

City and Castle Sieges being the large one.

Playing them out... if you are on the defense it is always best to play it out yourself. You can destroy the enemy thanks to your superior positioning and depending on your towers even destroy the entire enemy lines without ever harming your own.

If you are on the attack it is always best to simulate them. As there is few ways to defeat the enemy on those maps without creating excessive losses for yourself. There are exceptions (Cities if you have wall breakers CAN be sieged without excessive losses)

It's mostly the fact that the town square "revives" units forcing you to kill 90% of everything to win, while auto-resolve make you loose few troop, kill 20% of the foe and win. I manually do them mostly if I have an "ally" in battle, or siege artillery plus massive superiority in either ranged (archers pre-napoleon) or cavalry to avoid attrition.   Oh and the fact my bug report on game crashing bug with ladders in Rome:Totalwar hasn't been resobled in 10 years even in some newer games. (spawn ladders full units and try to man them with a unit too weak)

Still addictive as shit with mods. And also the battles in mountains where sometime you can find a very narrow and steep "path" or even simply bridges, and hold it with 1-2 hoplite/heavy unit versus multiple full armies of AI.  :D

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2014, 06:03:36 pm »

I cannot stand loading screens. I instinctively alt tab out of anyone I see and go to internet.

that usually makes the game crash, but I keep doing it anyway even if a crash means more loading. and the cycle repeats

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
  • You're gonna carry that weight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 08, 2014, 04:27:27 am »

I cannot stand loading screens. I instinctively alt tab out of anyone I see and go to internet.

that usually makes the game crash, but I keep doing it anyway even if a crash means more loading. and the cycle repeats
That's why the DBZ Budokai/Tenkaichi games were so clever, putting mini-games in the loading screen is a small but effective time-killer.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 08, 2014, 09:59:35 am »

If I'm losing (and sometimes when I'm not), I go into "make life difficult for everyone" mode. This is mainly for board games, but I'll do it in computer games if I get the chance.

A few examples to show what I'm talking about, both taking place in Smash Up:

One game, I'm playing as dinosaur pirates. Hey, I'm losing and that base has about 20 power points on it. Play a fairly strong unit and then use my action to make him explode, taking out everyone on the base.

Another game, I've got zombie bear cavalry. They're great at making other minions move around the board. I ended up setting up a nigh-unstoppable meat grinder that would obliterate any other minions that move to the base. Many funs were had.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 08, 2014, 10:04:21 am »

If I'm losing (and sometimes when I'm not), I go into "make life difficult for everyone" mode. This is mainly for board games, but I'll do it in computer games if I get the chance.

A few examples to show what I'm talking about, both taking place in Smash Up:

One game, I'm playing as dinosaur pirates. Hey, I'm losing and that base has about 20 power points on it. Play a fairly strong unit and then use my action to make him explode, taking out everyone on the base.

Another game, I've got zombie bear cavalry. They're great at making other minions move around the board. I ended up setting up a nigh-unstoppable meat grinder that would obliterate any other minions that move to the base. Many funs were had.
Perfectly viable tactics. Dragging down opponents scores gives you a better window to catch up in.

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 08, 2014, 04:16:30 pm »

That's why the DBZ Budokai/Tenkaichi games were so clever, putting mini-games in the loading screen is a small but effective time-killer.

Gotta play fast with an SSD.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 08, 2014, 05:34:05 pm »

have mac book pro, ssds don't get any faster :P
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]