Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Unusual Habits While Gaming  (Read 14401 times)

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
  • You're gonna carry that weight.
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual Habits While Gaming
« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2014, 05:28:35 am »

Speaking of guns, on the rare occasion I play an FPS I'll go as far as possible using only the default starting weapon, usually by virtue of scoring headshots against nearly every enemy. The pistol is eventually rendered entirely useless, and only then do I switch to the alternatives.

On the plus side, I have a ton of ammo for those guns by the time I get there.
I have a similar habit but it's more a case of saving more powerful/effective weapons for more difficult enemies/areas, even though half the time I finish the mission and they vanish anyway.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2014, 06:04:40 am »

Speaking of guns, on the rare occasion I play an FPS I'll go as far as possible using only the default starting weapon, usually by virtue of scoring headshots against nearly every enemy. The pistol is eventually rendered entirely useless, and only then do I switch to the alternatives.

On the plus side, I have a ton of ammo for those guns by the time I get there.
I have a similar habit but it's more a case of saving more powerful/effective weapons for more difficult enemies/areas, even though half the time I finish the mission and they vanish anyway.
I have this with almost any consumable that's not easily obtainable. Even in games like the Witcher, where you can brew more, I don't like using oils or potions before a fight just in case I'd need them later. This was terrible in Rage, where I saved every BFG bullet I could find for the final boss fight, only to find that the "boss fight" was way easier than the rest of the game.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2014, 06:08:34 am »

It's a long time ago now but when I played Rainbow Six 3 online I had the habit of reloading my weapon for no reason(you could reload even if you had full clip). Sometimes that got me killed as terrorist appeared and gunned me while I was changing magazine.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2014, 07:53:11 am »

If there is a limited supply of something in a game (usually uses for an ability or something), I am always extremely conservative with using it and usually end up never using it.

E: I also do the jumping thing.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 08:00:44 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2014, 07:55:23 am »

If there is a limited supply of something in a game (usually uses for an ability or something), I am always extremely conservative with using it and usually end up never using it.
This. Temporary buff potions are the worst. I horde them, by the end of the game I'll have mounds of potions of this or that, but I'll MAYBE use one or two all game. Because what if I need them?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2014, 09:18:12 am »

That's not an unusual habit. That's normal.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2014, 09:20:33 am »

It's a long time ago now but when I played Rainbow Six 3 online I had the habit of reloading my weapon for no reason(you could reload even if you had full clip). Sometimes that got me killed as terrorist appeared and gunned me while I was changing magazine.
I blame Call of Duty for that!

I never did it before Modern Warfare, now I reload at every possible moment in arena shooters like Halo and Quake.

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2014, 09:21:48 am »

This. Temporary buff potions are the worst. I horde them, by the end of the game I'll have mounds of potions of this or that, but I'll MAYBE use one or two all game. Because what if I need them?
I'll gladly risk a punishing death rather than waste that valuable Phoenix Down.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2014, 09:28:03 am »

My reloading syndrome is so bad that even when the clip has to be partially empty to reload, I'll purposefully fire one bullet from the full clip just so I can reload again.

How in the hell did I become addicted to reloading?

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2014, 11:01:09 am »

Those nice smooth clicking noise of the release, the satisfying almost crunch noise of the new clip attaching and the bullet chambering. The small number in the corner increasing, the usually detailed, fluid animation. How can you NOT love reloading?

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2014, 11:05:34 am »

I'll gladly risk a punishing death rather than waste that valuable Phoenix Down.
I've never really had this problem, except for when there's only one use. Then you can bet your ass that it won't even see a use against the super-ultra-final-this-time-for-real boss.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2014, 11:39:19 am »

Whenever I'm playing something with platforming in it, I'll move the controller in the way I want the guy to go as if it'll make him go further so that he can reach the mark.

If I'm playing an FPS, I tend to use nothing but explosives. I don't know why, I just do.

4X games, if I go to war, I will not stop until that enemy has been defeated and all of their land is now mine.

In an RTS game, I tend to focus on turtling until I get the max tech so I can go all "I'VE GOT SUPER TECH!"
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2014, 11:40:22 am »

I never had that problem with phoenix downs or potions as long as they can be bought in the shop, since they're always so cheap after the beginning.  Elixirs and other technically-limited items, however, only get used once I get really frustrated with a boss (usually after a few deaths).

In the original Unreal I was very miserly about ammo at first.  Some enemies could be safely taken out with the dispersion pistol and lots of dodging, so I did.  Brutes, Kraal, gasbags, hissticks (as my brother and I called them).  Pretty much everything except Skaarj, who dodged the dispersion blasts and had powerful melee attacks or actual guns.  Also Sliths because screw those guys.

But titans *definitely* qualified for dispersion pistol pacification.  It was tricky sometimes, and took a while, but was so satisfying.

Oh and Sunspire was particularly rough for us.  Pretty much the whole level is pitch dark, and we got lost a lot, so we hated to use up the limited stock of flares.  What if we've already been in this room?  No, instead we used the dispersion pistol as a flashlight.  A desecrated temple illuminated by lightning-like flashes of blue light, infested with pouncing spider-like enemies who strike from the darkness.  And since the gun had regenerating instead of infinite ammo, whenever we finally found the direction of progress we'd generally be nearly out of charge and have to flee down the darkened corridors we'd been lost in.  It was creepy and fun!

We also got used to playing without sound to avoid waking our parents, since we weren't supposed to be playing it at all.  So nowadays I find myself listening to podcasts and movies a lot while I game.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2014, 01:42:57 pm »

I've never really had this problem, except for when there's only one use. Then you can bet your ass that it won't even see a use against the super-ultra-final-this-time-for-real boss.
Does anybody else see or use healing spells and such as offensive ones as well? More often than not, I keep my phoenix downs and such just in case I run into a particularly difficult undead enemy or boss; why? Because you revive the undead boss with a healing/revive item, it kills them on the spot. ...Wait.

Got that habit from Final Fantasy. Undead being a hassle? Heal them, or revive them. So you have 10,000 HP and are an elite badass class enemy. Answer to my phoenix down which only cost me 150GP apiece. :P

Want to really be abusive, run into an all-powerful undead eldritch horror, with many parts, and hit them with a megaelixer. While at it, why were they carrying one? Did they expect to cyanide pill themselves?

Hell, in Magicka against Solifuge one time, he summoned craploads of zombies to go after me, and I kept doing my healing glacier move, and rendered that tactic entirely pointless; killing all the zombies, and maxing out my health every time. BTW, zombies take awhile to summon; healing glacier, really simple and quick.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 01:47:00 pm by Itnetlolor »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2014, 02:04:14 pm »

I tend to stockpile stuff as well, although I do it even more when crafting is involved: By the end of the Witcher 1 my inventory was full of potions, oils, bombs, along with blade enhancers and food. I had 12 Swallow potions alone (and I was chugging those things all the time, although not so much near the end of the game when nothing could touch me).

This is a screenshot showing my inventory: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26452959/witcher_2014_12_02_13_48_55_139.jpg
It doesn't have any spoilers unless you consider the location one, and can recognize it from the background.
My reagents storage isn't full only because I kept selling the more valuable ones.
I also had a bank which is half-full, all with stuff I didn't need but wasn't sure if I might have needed later, or couldn't find anyone to sell it to anymore.

Almost none of this imported into The Witcher 2.  :'(
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 02:06:23 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9