Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Unusual Habits While Gaming  (Read 14395 times)

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual Habits While Gaming
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2014, 05:35:59 pm »

Anyone else here play shooters and suffer from "fire one bullet - reload" syndrome?

I know I do.

And I hate when game doesn't allow to "chamber" a round. I want my M16 with 31 shot, not 30!!!

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2014, 09:07:16 pm »

I'd like to see a game where alt-fire on a revolver controls the hammer, and you have to cock it every shot. Could also hold down primary fire to simulate holding down the trigger, with alt-fire fanning shots.

If a game allows you to cancel out of reloads, I'll also fire shots randomly just to reload, even if it's a game where I disable viewmodels. Another thing is switching weapons... in basically every game, hitting 3-1-2-1 right when I spawn is automatic for some reason (if there are three weapons, that's usually primary->melee->primary->secondary->primary). If I'm just walking around I'll do other sequences, when I'm not already reloading like a lunatic.

Only game I remember that lets you reload with full ammo was HL1, and god that was great.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2014, 09:11:25 pm »

Wait, reloading when your ammo was already full?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2014, 09:23:04 pm »

Yep. Though it occurs to me that I may be thinking of the original Deus Ex, not HL1... there are probably other old games I've played that allow it too that I can't remember. I'm fairly sure I carried a pistol around in my non-lethal runs in Deus Ex just so I could walk around reloading it.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2014, 09:28:57 pm »

I think "Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth" let you reload while the gun was already loaded, but that's not much of a shooter.

There was a mod for "Unreal Tournament 2004" called "Ballistic Weapons" that I believe allowed cocking of a gun through a separate button.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2014, 10:10:20 pm »

I'd like to see a game where alt-fire on a revolver controls the hammer, and you have to cock it every shot. Could also hold down primary fire to simulate holding down the trigger, with alt-fire fanning shots.

Fistful of Frags had the feature of fanning revolvers.  Hammer action was automatic though.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2014, 10:10:57 pm »

Anyone else here play shooters and suffer from "fire one bullet - reload" syndrome?

I know I do.

And I hate when game doesn't allow to "chamber" a round. I want my M16 with 31 shot, not 30!!!

There was some indy fps game called receiver which allowed you to chamber rounds and other things, like insert/extract rounds from clips
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2014, 11:52:58 pm »

I know I do.

There was some indy fps game called receiver which allowed you to chamber rounds and other things, like insert/extract rounds from clips
Didn't that game basically have you control every aspect of the gun? I remember it being cool, if kinda fidly (Which I thought helped it somewhat, since it is kinda survival horrorish).
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2014, 12:16:47 am »

Yep. Though it occurs to me that I may be thinking of the original Deus Ex, not HL1... there are probably other old games I've played that allow it too that I can't remember. I'm fairly sure I carried a pistol around in my non-lethal runs in Deus Ex just so I could walk around reloading it.
If I remember well SWAT3 permitted you to reload while full (even change ammo type), aand even had 2 kind of reload (more with shotguns). You had fast reload where the guy drops the mag on the ground, slow reload where he put it back in his jacket in case it still has ammo. I think you could hold down "R"eload to switch between during a fight.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2014, 01:52:29 am »

I don't remember SWAT *4* having the ability to drop magazines, maybe they dropped that feature.  Or I just never noticed it.  It did track ammo in each magazine, with the reload key just swapping to the next one, which I really liked as a feature.  You could end up swapping back to a partially depleted magazine pretty easily.

Alien Swarm doesn't have a magic bullet-pool either, but sadly you just throw old magazines away instead of storing them.  I think everyone wastes a few nearly-few magazines when new to that game.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2014, 02:15:21 am »

Yep. Though it occurs to me that I may be thinking of the original Deus Ex, not HL1...

HL1 allowed the pistol to be reloaded with a full magazine. At least at first. I'm not entirely sure if the latest version retained that oddity.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2014, 02:37:38 am »

Here's a classic: In racing games, ever sway with your movements? (like fighting the implied g-forces)

Oddly enough, under the right circumstances, it actually does kind of help. Like going with the banks of the turns. Then again, I still do it today. Now try doing that while drifting around like a rally car or with one.

Funny enough, I still kinda do that with FPS games. I guess it's so I can think my next move, as if I was in it.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 02:47:59 am by Itnetlolor »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2014, 02:39:01 am »

If there is a limited supply of something in a game (usually uses for an ability or something), I am always extremely conservative with using it and usually end up never using it.
Same here. For example, in Resident Evil 4, I knife everything, hoard ammo, never use any grenades outside of specific places, and never ever ever get a capacity or exclusive upgrade for a gun that still has ammo in it. All because ammo is finite, and despite the fact that there's tons.

Whenever possible, every character in an RPG must have the same level.

Finally, like the OP, I also commentate games in my head.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2014, 02:49:25 am »

If a game allows aiming down the sights, I'll almost always do it. Even if it's a close-quarters firefight and I'm wielding some sort of shotgun, I'll take those extra .5 seconds to bring the sights up and make my shooting more accurate. This has caused many an online death when I should have just sprayed and prayed. :P

I have a bad habit of hoarding not only items (one-use buff items especially), but also crafting materials. Even if I'm not sure I'll ever use them. Even if my character has no crafting skills. Because that stuff might come in handy somewhere down the line I guess.

I never let battles auto-resolve in strategy games. Even if I outnumber the enemy 10-1 with vastly superior units, I'll personally command every skirmish because I want to minimize my own casualties. Conversely, if I'm badly outmatched and there's basically no hope of victory, I'll stubbornly play through the battle anyway and seek to take out as many of the enemy as I can.

And yeah, I commentate as well. I want to practice for the day that I start streaming with a headset :v
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
  • You're gonna carry that weight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2014, 05:00:06 am »

Here's a classic: In racing games, ever sway with your movements? (like fighting the implied g-forces)

Oddly enough, under the right circumstances, it actually does kind of help. Like going with the banks of the turns. Then again, I still do it today. Now try doing that while drifting around like a rally car or with one.

Funny enough, I still kinda do that with FPS games. I guess it's so I can think my next move, as if I was in it.
I get that a little bit with racing games but when I'm peering round something in a shooter, I'll almost always move physically as if it'll help me see.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9