Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Combining stacks: How hard can it be?  (Read 2639 times)

Nasu Toad Snatcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Combining stacks: How hard can it be?
« on: November 26, 2014, 11:48:02 pm »

Let's say I have an archery range with targets and channels alternating to conserve on ammo. I'd add a 1 wide ammo stockpile at the bottom of the channels on top of the ramps - that way when I reclaim the ammo, it's not necessary to create 1000 extra hauling jobs. However, would it be possible to make a dfhack command that can unify a number of identical objects that are lying on the same tile or in the same container into one stack? Even better, would be possible to pass a command to dwarves to pour a small stack of booze into a container with another small stack of booze to free up an extra pot? These are two chronic problems that I have as a result of stacks. It should at least be possible in adventure mode: make a 'x'/'create' command called 'stack objects' for example, and bring up two consecutive 'a, b, c, d, e' options lists: the first to select a base object in your inventory and the second to select feasible (i.e. identical) objects onto it, plus an option to 'stack all feasible'.

Hey, I'm just a newb who hardly knows how to mod the raws, so I'm hardly one to complain. But if I were to ask Toady or anyone to make an improvement to the game's running, that would be on my list, definitely. (It probably is hardcoded though, so maybe I can't expect that soon, especially since I don't see any other complaints about stacking.)
Nasu bites the Toad in the left upper arm but the attack is deflected by the ☼pig tail fiber RAWS☼!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Combining stacks: How hard can it be?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 11:51:09 pm »

Wrong General Discussion, friendo
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Nasu Toad Snatcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 11:55:17 pm »

Kay, where do I post it then?
Nasu bites the Toad in the left upper arm but the attack is deflected by the ☼pig tail fiber RAWS☼!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 11:57:27 pm »

The above lands, in DF Gameplay Questions
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Nasu Toad Snatcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 12:08:38 am »

Thank you Mr. Virus. I'll see I can delete this one then. Nice, um, avatar thing you have there.

Nasu Toad Snatcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 12:09:47 am »

Fudge, no, it's here to stay, whatever.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 12:14:05 am »

You should be able to move it, but locking this one and making a new one is fine.

Nasu Toad Snatcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 12:31:43 am »

I'm leeernin' guys!

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 12:34:08 am »

I'm leeernin' guys!
You just did something I've seen confuse the hell out of veterans  :D

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 12:47:38 am »

Well if they are training arrows, what if you just design an ammo stockpile over them?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Nasu Toad Snatcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 01:43:43 am »

Elves use arrows. Dwarves use bolts. Get it right  >:( Yeah, I make the whole archery range a stockpile for ammo, no bins, plus the z level below and between the archery targets is a stockpile. That way dwarves don't need to haul them out of the ditch. I just do an area unforbid and I'm good.

I remember that in this month's podcast Toady mentioned something about making dwarves able to haul multiple items as a coming change. He might do this by making a new specialized tool, like a basket, or just by allowing bags to have that function. Maybe a none workshop specific order could be created for those with the 'item hauler' labor. Call the order 'gather stack of ITEM' or just 'gather ITEM'. And all the dwarves will go out with their bags or baskets, just like wheelbarrows, and gather copper bolts until they have a full stack.

Or maybe another mass designation option can be coded, like forbid, melt or dump. And you would just go to the stocks screen and select all your copper bolts or your prickle berries or dwarven ale to all be compiled into the largest possible stack, and the dwarves will act accordingly.

I'm just generating ideas. Do they make sense or sound possible to anyone?

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 04:26:30 pm »

In fortress mode the golden solution would be making a non-hittable (and/or not damageable) live target. You get way more experience per shot, thus less ammo consumption during training + an ammo stockpile in the ditch. Several designs are public.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 04:35:26 pm »

In fortress mode the golden solution would be making a non-hittable (and/or not damageable) live target. You get way more experience per shot, thus less ammo consumption during training + an ammo stockpile in the ditch. Several designs are public.

All that does is place lots and lots of single bolts onto a single tile. There is no way to combine stacks.

The whole hauling system needs a major overhaul.