Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Awful Game for a Gag Gift  (Read 7136 times)

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
Re: Awful Game for a Gag Gift
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2014, 01:06:03 pm »

All three of those are good, though. I mean, Gone Home and Depression Quest aren't really games in the strictest sense, and I have no interest in all three, but they're all quality, non-gag stuff. And Stanley Parable is hilarious from what I've seen of it.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2014, 01:31:23 pm »

Yeah, those are too high quality and people actually enjoy them. Try arty games on Newgrounds, those are always good for a laugh.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2014, 01:40:27 pm »

Depression Quest is a really bland text based depiction of depression though, I've seen flash games do a better job portraying depressing then that thing. Also, I'm one of the people who found the stanley parable to a pointless and boring mishmash of pseudo choices and forced jokes. They would make good gag gifts because either of them takes itself very seriously, which only makes it even more hilarious.

Another gag gift would be Dear Esther, another artsy game for sale in steam with absolutely nothing but an environment to walk in and audio logs to collect.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2014, 01:42:07 pm »

Depression Quest is shite, yes. I think Stanley is funny and Gone Home is just.... Okay. I mean, they put a lot of effort in, but I don't see the point.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2014, 01:57:07 pm »

There's a difference between a gag gift and a game that you, personally, just don't happen to like. While everyone is fully entitled to their own opinion, it would be good if everyone could always keep in mind that when you say "X thing is terrible," you're suggesting not only that your personal taste is somehow inherently superior to that of other people, but also that anyone who likes that thing is deserving of ridicule. That's a terribly unfair thing to do and although you may think you sound cool, in actuality it makes you look like a callous jerk. Take five seconds to think about how you would feel if you read a post that said something you like is terrible and people who like it should be mocked. You'd be pretty pissed off, and rightfully so. We can all disagree but still be decent and respectful towards one another.

For example, this is fine: I don't like it / I didn't get anything out of it / It doesn't do anything for me
This is not fine: This game is terrible / If your friend likes this game, you should mock them / What kind of idiot would like this game

I know most people are just sharing their opinions, but I did see some things a few posts back that I was really surprised to see on our lovely forum.

Personally, I found the Stanley Parable to be so hilarious I actually had to stop playing at one moment because I couldn't stop laughing. I get that it's not right for everyone, but still, seriously. There are games which are universally agreed to be B-A-D and games that just don't have universal appeal. If we're trying to find a good gag gift, let's make it one that everyone can agree is terrible, without mocking people who like cult or niche games. I didn't like Dear Esther (it bored me to tears), but I know a lot of people enjoyed it, so I wouldn't recommend using it as a "gag gift."

...I, um. I love you all.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2014, 02:01:00 pm »

Depression Quest is a really bland text based depiction of depression though, I've seen flash games do a better job portraying depressing then that thing.
Would you mind sharing one (or several?) I'm "collecting" them.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2014, 02:04:08 pm »

Echoing Sappho here, those aren't gag games. They're subjective, but not gags. Air Control at least makes me go "what were they thinking" and it doesn't even function as a game.

Speaking of, Maybe Daikatana can work as a gag game? I know the game can't even be completed in co-op without cheats, since some event flags don't even get set off, but you might consider that to be a good thing given the first few levels. It's not terribad, but it does have the distinction of being one of the games that killed a company due to how disappointing it was that it's become almost a byword.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2014, 02:41:05 pm »

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2014, 02:42:05 pm »

Somehow Daikatana made it onto GoG.
People assumed they changed from Good Old Games to GOG because they added newer games, but really it was so they could add Daikatana.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2014, 02:44:14 pm »

It's also on steam. Though Daikatana's been on GoG for quite some time now. As long as I've been using GoG, really.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2014, 04:06:25 pm »

There's a difference between a gag gift and a game that you, personally, just don't happen to like. While everyone is fully entitled to their own opinion, it would be good if everyone could always keep in mind that when you say "X thing is terrible," you're suggesting not only that your personal taste is somehow inherently superior to that of other people, but also that anyone who likes that thing is deserving of ridicule. That's a terribly unfair thing to do and although you may think you sound cool, in actuality it makes you look like a callous jerk. Take five seconds to think about how you would feel if you read a post that said something you like is terrible and people who like it should be mocked. You'd be pretty pissed off, and rightfully so. We can all disagree but still be decent and respectful towards one another.

For example, this is fine: I don't like it / I didn't get anything out of it / It doesn't do anything for me
This is not fine: This game is terrible / If your friend likes this game, you should mock them / What kind of idiot would like this game

I know most people are just sharing their opinions, but I did see some things a few posts back that I was really surprised to see on our lovely forum.

Personally, I found the Stanley Parable to be so hilarious I actually had to stop playing at one moment because I couldn't stop laughing. I get that it's not right for everyone, but still, seriously. There are games which are universally agreed to be B-A-D and games that just don't have universal appeal. If we're trying to find a good gag gift, let's make it one that everyone can agree is terrible, without mocking people who like cult or niche games. I didn't like Dear Esther (it bored me to tears), but I know a lot of people enjoyed it, so I wouldn't recommend using it as a "gag gift."

...I, um. I love you all.

It's all arbitrary, I'm sure someone, somewhere would say bad rats is just a cult or niche game too.

I think it's somewhat hypocritical to say people are bad for making fun of certain games (that you happen to like), then in the next paragraph say we should stick to making fun of slightly less popular games.

Anyway. Lots of the good ones have been mentioned, but not "the graveyard"? It's a little more pricey at $2.50 but it's a pretty good gag gift due to being so wtf pointless. It's also older so he may not have heard about it, plus the forum has a bunch of jokes about the secret zombie mode and such (that don't actually exist) so you might get him thinking there's more to it, which is like bonus points.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2014, 05:37:08 pm »

I'm with Sappho: there is an enormous difference between creative games trying to do something interesting with established forms (e.g. for me Stanley Parable is pretty much top five games ever for intelligent formal approaches).  Similarly both Depression Quest and walk-em-ups like Gone Home, while not the kinds of things I'd load up to play for relaxation are still interesting experiments in gaming that made marks on the whole medium.

Comparing them to say, the Jesus simulator and air control game that this thread brought up is comparing apples and oranges. 

In movie metaphors: Depression Quest and Gone Home are art flicks: maybe slow or not flashy, or troubling, but clearly designed for art's sakes.   The "bad games" genre is more like the terrible cult films that Mystery Science Theater discusses.

You wouldn't sit down and watch something like "Dogville" or "Requiem for a Dream" for a fun movie night, anymore than you would "Depression Quest", but it doesn't put it in the same category as "The Invasion of Giant Space Tomatos" or whatever.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2014, 06:51:21 pm »

Aww its all a mather of taste, I found stanly parable cute (both the first, free mod and then the "real" deal), not really laugh worthy like that, then again I didn't find dark souls to be "insanly hard" like people claim. Stats like to say things like "The average gamer is around 30", but sometimes it just feels like 13 : /

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2014, 07:13:27 pm »

« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 07:16:38 pm by freeformschooler »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2014, 09:39:45 pm »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/45100/

This is my go-to gag gift on Steam. It is exactly what it looks like.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/45100/discussions/0/616189106424649958/

That looks LEGENDARY.  If I was in the mood to grab someone a game gag gift, it would be that.  Then I'd snag a copy for myself, just for the lutz.

Then post pictures on this forum.  Lots of pictures.  Bwah ha ha!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7