Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Empire of Arms: Weapon Design IC  (Read 6116 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Empire of Arms: Weapon Design IC
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2014, 02:51:20 pm »

The Solothurn S-18/100 20 mm Anti-Tank Cannon was a Swiss and German anti-tank rifle used during the Second World War. It had a semi-automatic action in a bullpup configuration.

But yes, it does appear that I was wrong on the most part. Most AT rifles had top-loading, where single shot or had the trigger really far back.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2014, 03:15:32 pm »

The Solothurn S-18/100 20 mm Anti-Tank Cannon was a Swiss and German anti-tank rifle used during the Second World War. It had a semi-automatic action in a bullpup configuration.

But yes, it does appear that I was wrong on the most part. Most AT rifles had top-loading, where single shot or had the trigger really far back.

(Called it.)

Are you sure that is bullpup :-\? From all the pictures I see, it looks like the magazine is almost directly above the trigger, and every other sight I can find on it doesn't mention bullpups. From memory, they (being bullpups) didn't get really popular or effective until after the AUG in the seventies. Looking at the wikipedia page, the source is a book written in Finnish with English summaries, which I can't get a hold of online from here. The German version, at least, doesn't seem to make the claim.

In any case, that was one of the last AT rifles, not the first, so my point still stand :P!
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

cheesemcmuffin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2014, 09:31:15 pm »

Unfortunately with exam this week then an upcoming christmas vacation I will not be able to continue playing in this game I hope this does not inconvenience anyone to much.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2014, 02:51:38 pm »

Given my new found reputation in Gammorah, i will send both Salesmen there and offer to sell them as many Master blasters as they need for the low low price of $600 each.

10 Design Technicians are to work on improving the Master blaster, focus on making it more actuate and reliable.tors
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2014, 04:21:24 pm »

Unless you have a waitlist (in which case, can I get on it?), can I take cheesemcmuffin's slot?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2014, 04:26:45 pm »

Go ahead, I have pretty much just been accepting everyone. I am probably not going to be able to update it until everyone posted, which might take a while. You can make a new one if you want.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2014, 05:28:47 pm »

Spoiler: Saud Kruger (click to show/hide)

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2014, 08:08:11 am »

Well this died fairly quickly. That makes me sad.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2014, 08:19:14 am »

I dont think its dead. Yet.

Ah, Stirk, have you taken into account that Cheesemcmuffin seems to have dropped out?
Highly Opinionated Fool

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2014, 04:45:09 pm »

Orders:
Accept the contract for 100 JR-300s, but only if either the Monarchists want to pay upfront or are willing to accept delayed completion of the contract.
If the contract is accepted make as many JR-300s as possible if the Monarchists pay upfront or up to 30 if they don't.
The designers are to attempt to reduce the cost of the JR-300.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2014, 06:01:32 pm »

We where waiting for him. Ill get the new one up soon.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2014, 07:11:17 pm »

Can I join
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Edited:beacuse if primitive factorys are cheaper they need to be reaserched so therefore I can't have one...yet
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 05:46:19 am by High tyrol »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2014, 09:01:23 pm »

Current Events:

Fighting has broken out between the Monarchists and Rebels in Cirain! The Monarchists realized how much they outgunned the rebels, and hoped to quash the rebellion before it got even further along. No punches are being pulled, the major cities are filled with the sound of artillery fire and explosions. How this will effect current and future deals is unknown.

Kajistan and Gammorah, on the other hand, continue to increase their arms buildup. They hated each other for so long, a bit more time won't kill them. With the obvious hostilities, the treaties holding them back have been nullified. This was also met by a massive increase in the already substantial arms spending. On top of that, both countries are also willing to purchase the designs themselves, for their own production. This will likely show a rather large one-time payment, though it will likely harm any future attempt to sell that model.

A new conflict has shown itself! East and West Port de Lin are, once again, entering skirmishes at the border. The countries broke up a generation or two ago in a bloody civil war. They decided to end it when both sides could not afford to continue, but still shoot at each other in the dense jungle that acts as a border between the two countries when the opportunity presents itself. Reliable infantry weapons and other arms that actually manage to function in their battle field are the name of the game. Several older arms companies report that, in past dealings with them, they do not appreciate arms being delivered to their enemies and turn their skills in guerrilla warfare to any shipments going into the rival country. Dealing with both is not advised at all, even in secret!

Stone Inc:

Unfortunately, despite the design tech's hard work this turn, they make little progress on the weapon. They fixed many of the problems, but feel that they are only 3/4 done from a workable finished project. They promise to have the final version done next turn, of all of their efforts are put onto it.

The workers training and doing actual work are rotated. They take to the training well, and join the rank as somewhat-trained cannon fodder! The results of this are yet to be seen.

Your workers go to the factory, get in line, and prepare to make some more S.P.A.Ms However, at a PPU of $125, you where only capable of making 56 with your current funds. You put these away in storage in your HQ, where they will be well defended. Someone suggests you could get a loan, though they advise against it. They state that if you are to get a loan, another arms company might be willing to get you one on good terms.

The Rebels accept the arms with open arms, and seem to accept them as part of the offer. Contract offer: 100 S.P.A.M (with ammunition) and training for 5 workers, 5 design technicians, and 1 mercenary contract. They are willing to negotiate the details.

The Monarchists accept the arms happily, but inform you that chances of there not being a civil war are now zero. Shots are being fired. As their own sign of good will, they offer to send your salesmen back under heavy guard. Gunfire can be heard even in their meeting rooms.

Your workers inform you that, while you had the 50 S.P.A.Ms ready, you just gave away ~$3125 of your $7000 in gifts. A direct trade is not currently possible.

Strystahl:

The design techs easily make the necessary modifications, significantly reducing the amount of moving parts on the gun. Additionally, with all the extra time they had, they managed to slightly improve the accuracy of the new version! To further increase reliability, they replaced some cheaply made parts with more expensive and reliable versions, but even managed to keep the costs down with the removal of some excess parts. They have high hopes for this weapon!

The construction advances at a decent rate, but they are unable to meat your lofty expectations. Even with an industrious move by their leader, they only manage to make 30 each, for a total of 330 this turn. They hope to be able to finish the work next turn, but shipping is ready for this batch immediately.

One of your expert salesmen is a veteran in the business, and knows a guy in a company that focuses on producing ammunition! The company makes a deal with the rebels, using your own company as a middle man, fulfilling your side of the deal and earning a small ($100) bonus! The company considers you an asset for future deals and hands you a business card directly.

The contracts are signed, and both men seemed to be happy with the results.

Mountman Inc.

The Monarchists are impressed by the demonstration, and in desperate need of arms immediatly. Even after your haggling, they seem in good spirits and go along with it to some extent. Eventually you settle on a good price! Contract offer: 50 for $550

Construction runs into some difficulties, but with the sheer number of workers that you have, you are able to overcome the difficulties. You make 11 Ludwigs before you run out of money for parts.

The initial design phase of the new weapon goes amazingly well. They took your design specifications to make what is essentially a larger SMG, with a much increased rate of fire. Currently, they are about 1/4 of the way done with the design. It looks like it will have an absurd rate of fire, with the ability to sustain that fire. However, it is much heavier than SMGs and doesn't have the piercing or anti-vehicle power of other LMGS, though it is still lighter than them.

Oh and I forgot part of it  :-[. You are advised that making a civilian gun shop is possible, keeping it supplied in a way that brings prophet constantly may be difficult. It would be necessary to have your design techs research a working business plan to be able to make the "Gunshop" building.

Red Omega

The five design techs easily finish the comparatively simple project of designing the 105mm frag shell. The rest of the techs, working on the more difficult project, make some progress. They finish the heavier armored badger, but even without the gun it ends up costing a lot of mobility, and the new model will end up being significantly more expensive. They also finish the initial design of the gun, for the other workers to be able to design the round, but will need more time to make it anywhere near usable. Jenny Jin suggests making an over sized and overpowered engine for the new model, hoping to increase mobility of the heavier armor in return for a greater cost to make and upkeep.

The Monarchists are willing to pay for each unit they receive when they receive it, but are not willing to pay ahead of time. They state that, now that hostilities have opened, there is a chance they will not receive the weapons at all, which would be a waste of an investment.

Production of the 3 badgers goes swimmingly, each are created and armed with the 20mm cannon. They are prepared to ship on your orders.

The Salesman negotiating with Gammorah tries his best, but isn't able to move them very well. They insist that they only wish to use the vehicals as a trial bases, and that they do not want to put more money into it if it isn't going to show results. One of the representatives rolls his eyes, takes out his wallet, and shows a $25 bill. He states that if he gets them in a timely manner, he will mail it personally to the company as a bonus. They most definitely do not want to put in a down payment on a test run.

Lycan:

The design is finished by sheer mass of design techs thrown at the project, finishing the LNAMR-I "Alpha". They report some problems with it, but unfortunately incompetence by one of the workers means that you do not know exactly what these problems are. Low rolls are painful.

Unfortunately, you cannot go into the red, or you would be able to make essentially infinite weapons unless I can come up for a rule for it. 40  LNBR-Ib "Wolf" rifles are made with little issue or fanfare and put in HQ for storage. They are ready to ship at any moment.

Gammorah agrees to pay 1/4 the total price immediately, in return for a $1 discount per gun. They are also willing to pay for each unit as they are received, getting you your money faster. This would change the current contract, but they are willing to change after receiving a shipment of guns.

The Rebels are reluctant to pay more for a gun that doesn't fit their strategy particularity well. They state that they do not have a lot of particularly good shots, and would honestly prefer a higher rate of fire to reliability, though many disagree. After some discussion, they agree to a new deal, offering to buy less guns for a bit more money. Contract offer: 100 for $250.25

Devastator Arms;

Im still going to have to roll and do the math later. I have been writing for like three hours now 0_0.

The design techs work on the weapon in an attempt to make it more accurate and reliable. They focus on making the ammunition more effective, and succeed somewhat on improving the rockets ability and making it a little more reliable. In return, they see the gun being much more dangerous to the user, both from rocket burns and random explosions. The new ammunition is called "Mankiller", as a warning to those who use it.

Your salesman meet in Gammorah for a well-publicized meeting. A high-ranking general, a swarm of reporters, and a group of men called "Devastator Squad" meet in front of the capital. The general, in private, complains about the high price of the weapon and how it doesn't fit in with their tactics. He makes it clear he is only using it to raise moral-the troops will likely never see actual combat. They agree to your absurd price after some grumbling, on the condition they can borrow your current models for a photo opp. "Devastator" squad poses in front of the capitol with the large guns, then in front of a huge Gammorah flag. This is immediately used as a propaganda poster, all over the city, by the end of the week. Contract offer: $600 each for 12 units.

New guys:

Saud Kruger

PPU:$1000
Rolled an accepted.

Jonathan Johnsons infantry supply co.

PPU:$200
Accepted. I can allow primitive factories to be cheaper, but you would have to research them first. Do you want to change this before I roll with this new knowlage?

And the Old Guy I forgot:

FutureTech:

They are unable to pay upfront, unfortunately. They are able to accept a delayed completion, and are willing to pay as each unit is received. The man who purchased them seems rather distraught by this.

The production goes well, you are fully able to make the 30 Mortars without problems.

The mass of designers swarm over the production, successfully finding cheaper parts for almost every part on the mortar. This addition will make the product significantly cheaper (-$200), however it significantly lowers the overall quality of the weapon in every way imaginable. With all the extra time, they are able to make another compromise, finding the parts that made the least difference in quality with the most cost lost. In the end, they come up with another model that is (-$100) cheaper, but with overall quality suffering slightly in ways that have yet to be seen.

A note, mostly to myself. I have been waiting until everyone posts to get my post done, and that seems to take hours 0_0. So from now on, I will have to start keeping these things on a file, updating it in small increments every few days, to avoid a dump like this. It is the only way I can manage so many players at once! As such, if you are going to edit an action or order, could you please do it by posting a new post instead of editing the old one? I might miss it otherwise.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2014, 09:47:59 pm »

Can we getmore details on the Pord de Lin groups, such as which one has more cash, or more brains?
Highly Opinionated Fool

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2014, 10:08:23 pm »

((Wait, 550$ total or each? Just to make sure, of course.))

Spoiler: Trade. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Production. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Salesman action! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Design. (click to show/hide)
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6