Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Empire of Arms: Weapon Design IC  (Read 6117 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Empire of Arms: Weapon Design IC
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2014, 11:39:40 pm »

Alright. Keep in mind the PPU are pretty much made up on the top of my head, if you think it is too high/low feel free to argue.

Also: There is no way I can get this once every day, sorry, I didn't expect to get this huge a response  :o. I will try for once every two days during the break, though I might have to lower it even more once I get back to school.

Strystahl

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PPU special: $25

The Kajistan representatives are impressed by your salesman's pitch, and intend to use them as a backup for vehicle crews and other low-space users. They complain about the lack of reliability, however, stating the cheap parts and high price act against each other and jam easily, making them reluctant for wider use in special forces. They offer to make a small contract, with the intent of expanding if results are good. Contract offer: 1000 units for 26$ each.

The meeting with the rebels does not go particularly well, but your salesmen are able to save it. The rebel representative is impressed with the high rate of fire, thinking it perfect for their current spraying tactics. However, he points out that they currently lack the ammunition reserves to utilize it fully, and have no way of getting ammunition in bulk. He offers to buy 5000 at 27$ each, on the condition that you either provide enough ammunition to make them usable or hook them up with someone who can.

The modkit is easily constructed, being a relatively simple thing to make. You do, however, either have to construct the parts separately, making it cost significantly more than typical. $5 per unit.

Your workers quickly produce 3 guns, however they outright refuse to train in them. It seems that Mr. Zimmerman (bluntly) stated that he thinks arming the workers is a horrible idea, that they "ain't" being paid for mercenary work, and that if stuff hits the friend they would lose less if they just cut and ran. His men seem to follow him greatly.

Stone Incorporated:

Design PPU:$125

As skilled as your design techs are, they find themselves a little overwhelmed by the project. They are easily capable of removing some features and making the gun much cheaper (they assume that the new version will cost $50 PPU). However, they need more time to make the gun actually useable. They report problems with balance, muzzle climb, among other problems that simply make the gun impossible to produce or sell.

The expert mercenaries take the workers out of the factory and to the range. The mercenaries report some success, though they don't think the workers will be able to beat anything more than a few thugs without better equipment or training. Some of the mercenaries report forming friendships with the workers, though others report resentment.

Kajistan and Gammorah both send representatives to you in order to discuss with your salesman and see demonstrations. Unfortunately, your Salesman believed that getting them together would allow him to put them in a bidding war which would end with him separating them and accepting both higher offers. Instead, they got in a fistfight and verbal combat with each other. After the salesman managed to pull them apart, they left in a huff. Both nations refused to deal with you if you insist on arming the enemy nation, enough not to even make an offer until you promise not to deal with the other country. Their opinion of you is slightly soured.

The rebels are impressed with your offer, and are willing to make permanent contracts with workers within their ranks. They ask for a more exact offer, stating that they are willing to either 50% off one type of worker until the rebellion is over along with cash payments, or willing to directly offer free contracts for the offered goods and services.

The monarchist explain a bunch of boring, political things. Things like a poor economy, allegations of corruption in the ruling family, "selling out to foreign powers", and allegations that the ruling family (of a now-minority race) is oppressing the now-majorities. They also state that the people do not like their perfect monarchy, though what form of government the Rebels will have is yet to be seen they suspect it is anarchy.

Production is underway, you successfully made anywhere between 0 and 100 SPAMS, 25 for each working worker. As you have no outstanding contacts and I had not given the PPU yet, you may decide exactly how much that was.

Devastator Arms:

I will have to fix that later, and roll for your units. Taking too long already now -_-. I should be able to get it before next turn. For now, PPU for the weapon is $500.

Do you want to sell to the Rebels or Monarchists? I will assume Monarchists, as the weapon is something they would want to buy more than the Rebels would.

The Monarchists appreciate you coming to them, and are semi-impressed by the demonstration. They do have several complaints, even with your well-done demonstration. They complain that the accuracy is horrible, the ammunition is strange and untested (and only produced by you...), the danger of putting three dangerous explosive together, the danger of back blast...but in the end, they agree that the psychological effect on the enemy would be worth at least something. They state they would like a free sample to test, as such a strange weapon would not be a wise investment otherwise.

In Kajistan, things don't go exactly as planned. The rumors spread successfully, but instead of drumming up sales, the people there see you as working for the enemy. Your salesmen are assaulted by stones in the street, bricks coming in their hotel windows and bouncing off their cars. Your reputation in Kajistan ends up being hurt pretty badly. On the other hand, this rumor managed to spread to Gammorah, who's media took a hold of the story and turned it into a propaganda piece. The strengths of the weapon are greatly overstated, your reputation in Gammorah is increased, and you will likely be able to sell it there more easily in the future.

The MasterBlaster is slightly improved, that is to say, a little bit lighter. They manage to remove some unnecessary materiel, not enough to lower the price any but enough to make a team of men handle it slightly better. This is capable of being added to the current design without needing a massive change.

PPU for invention:$750

The Monarchist representative is impressed by your mortar, and intends to purchase some immediately. In fact, the representative is completely in love with the idea, liking the fact he can even lift one himself, and is overall impressed with the quality of the product. You suspect at least one will go to his own personal use. Contract offer: 100 JR-300s at $850 each.

The other two nations, however, somehow find out about you sending a representative to the apposing country. They both state they will not even make an offer unless you agree to not sell to their enemies. You may, of course, attempt to do so in secret, though you do manage to get a very unofficial price from each. Both offer around 760$, though your salesmen have not interacted with them yet.

Unfortunately, with the high PPU, constructing so much would put a dent on your finances. Are you sure you want to go through with it? Your men manage to find a few hidden away in the HQ to use for demonstrations, successfully doing so for the incoming Monarchist forces.

Your design techs successfully get to work on the Naval Cannon. They are fairly successful, making some possible blueprints. They suspect they can produce the final product for a minimum of $15,000. Unfortunately, they feel that for such a large product, they will have to have some funds allotted to make a working prototype. On the bright side, this will give you a working (if glitchy) cannon for your HQ if successful! Of course, they think it will take several more turns to perfect it.

Red Omega:

PPU:$2500, including 20mm cannon.

The lab techs under Jenny work very successfully, making an engine that will start first time any time, even in sub-zero weather. Unfortunately, the materials are slightly more expensive. PPU addition: $250

The development of the HMG goes poorly in comparison. In fact, they get almost nowhere, scrapping the initial project as a complete failure. One of the lazy-influenced workers suggests buying someone else's design and adapting it to fit the ATV, maybe just using a public domain version, or even just adding an empty mount to be filled by-customer.

In Cirain, the Monarchists forces are split on the issue. They do appreciate the salesman coming to them, but some do not see the need for a speedy and maneuverable vehicle when they are literally fighting in their own country. Other appreciate this, and point out the necessity of clearing out the boonies. In the end, they decide begrudgingly to offer a contract, stating that they would be willing to purchase more if you could upgrade its fire power. Contract offer: 10 at $2600

Without a salesman, the Gammorahns are not incredibly enthusiastic to purchase these, though they do appreciate you coming to them and find the product suited to the current situation. They do enjoy its speed and modularity, as well as the fire power, but they do have complaints about its lack of armor. They are dissapointed about how they think the anti-armor weapons of the enemy will pierce through them easily. In the end, they agree to buy a few to try out. Contract offer:3 for $2500

Are you sure you would like to go through with your purchase? Your men search the HQ, finding some unused models. Some are sent to both countries for demonstration, and one is left at the base for defense. There is no way you can sell these prototypes, of course, and it might not work in your time of need...

Two workers are trained, though by who is a mystery. They are capable of at least firing the guns in the right direction half-way safely, though even poorly armored mercenary would have no problem bursting past them.

Lycan:

PPU: $250

Gammorah shows great interest in purchasing the rifle in mass, and appreciates the salesman coming to them. They like how it fills the tactical role of urban combat that was rather empty in their old load out, while using standard ammunition. They enjoy the reliability, power, and accuracy, but state that it is not as good as they would like it to be at rapid-fire and is a little expensive for such a standard design. Contract offer: 1000 units at $255 each.

While no salesman was offered to the Cirainians (why not?), they are still somewhat impressed with your rifle. They like its reliability, most rebels seem to not know how to correctly clean their own rifle, but dislike the price. They like how it uses a round they have a lot of already, but would still like some ammunition with the deal. Offer: 2000 at $250 each.

Your workers manage to produce between 0 and 200 rifles, and between 0 and 10,000 rounds (PPU:$1 per 100?). As I have not given the PPU yet, you can choose the exact number.

The weapon development goes relatively poorly, the workers citing the difficulty a unique design. They do question why an anti-materiel rifle needs to be bullpup. They get about halfway done with both the weapon design and the ammunition, but state there may be some negative bonuses to the final product if not given even more time. Current PPU assumption (~$500).

Mountman Inc

Accepted, because why not at this point? PPU: $450

Go ahead and make some actions, sorry for not getting to it.

Ирон Ски машински радови

PPU:$5000 Without additional weapons

Even with limited manpower, the two design techs easily make an improved copy of a WWII era weapon. The accuracy is significantly increased, and the ammunition efficiency is only slightly under the modern standard. PPU:$600

The poor sole designer of the rocket pod actually gets some progress, though he points out this will take a long time for him working by himself. A few more turns will have to go by, but there has not currently been an issue other than lack of manpower.

Both sides accept the training, which ends up going very well for all involved. Your company gets a good reputation with both sides of the conflict, and your own mercenaries end up picking up some techniques from the people they where sent to train. They manage to do this secretly, even. However, the trainers end up forming a bond with both sides, and are unlikely to work against them to their full ability.

Wait, 55 workers? I am going to have to do a price check, that seems like a lot ???. In any case, with that much, you mange to produce between, lets say, 0 and 20 helicopters(!). As I have not given you PPU yet, you may choose exactly how many where made. After I see how much money you have left over, because those things are expensive.

Both nations initially appreciate you coming to them, and seem really interested in your helicopter, even without weapons. Both offer a small contract, (1 for 5500), however each receives a phone call in the middle of the meeting. When they come back, they call off the meeting, politely stating that they do not want to deal with you if you are going to arm their opponents. They turn you back, though your reputation is slightly improved in both nations.

Did I get anyone? That took me forever to write, I am sure I missed something important. Remember, the PPU where pulled out of my ear, if you have an issue with them or someone else's feel free to bring it up. Sorry for putting this off for so long!
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2014, 12:06:33 am »

Actions
Spoiler: Design (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Security (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Production (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Contacts (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: To GSMR (click to show/hide)
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2014, 01:09:43 am »

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2014, 05:04:51 am »

Spoiler: Trade. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Production. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Design. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: To Red Omega. (click to show/hide)

I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2014, 05:45:02 am »

Spoiler: Business (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: To Mountman Inc. (click to show/hide)
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2014, 08:28:34 am »

Spoiler: To Red Omega (click to show/hide)
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2014, 09:30:54 am »

But... that will demolish my finances ;_;

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2014, 10:27:01 am »

I guess no? Gimme a controffer, that armed car would be fabulous.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2014, 10:40:47 am »

We are fine, enough dakka here. :P

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2014, 01:28:13 pm »

There is never enough Dakka.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2014, 08:18:19 am »

Hey, there are bullpup anti-materiel rifles. The M95, for example.

While no salesman was offered to the Cirainians (why not?).
Can I send a single salesman to two different locations?

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2014, 01:36:10 pm »

Can I send a single salesman to two different locations?

So far, I have been going with "sending them" making them physically go to the country, giving all their attention to it and giving them a "home field" bonus. It is easier to have the countries send representatives to you, but your salesman's attention is divided between them and they may find having to go to your country annoying.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2014, 01:54:28 pm »

The first real antimaterial rifles where bullpup.
They where also normally 20mm cannons.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2014, 02:20:46 pm »

The first real antimaterial rifles where bullpup.
They where also normally 20mm cannons.

They where also meant to take down tanks. And they weren't bullpup :-\. I don't know where you heard they where.

The point of making a bullpup anti material rifle would have to do almost completely with wait loss. The shorter barrel, the main "idea" of having a bull pup, doesn't really help them out. That isn't to say there aren't any, and aren't any good ones, there are plenty. It does say that it baffles me why this is so :-\. In the end, it will make the rifle not significantly not insignificantly more expensive (mechanically more complex, always a bad thing in guns), without showing any real advantage in an anti-material rifle, unless you can convince me otherwise.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2014, 02:46:18 pm »

Actually, now that I look into the design reasoning behind bullpup anti-material rifles, I take back my previous criticisms. They do end up being a lot of reasonable reasons to have it like that, though not all of them where obvious to me at first. Bullpup-designs still aren't going to be an automatic "make the gun better" addition, but it will have some real advantages. The engineer also takes back his critisizms. Just shows that I still have a lot to learn  :-\.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6