Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf dying of thirst when tons of booze is there  (Read 2086 times)

JDRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf dying of thirst when tons of booze is there
« on: November 25, 2014, 05:12:20 pm »

I have had this problem in several of my games since the new updates in the last few weeks.
I got tons of booze, often still unloading wagon or they refuse to unload wagon where the booze is.
Any way they keep doing this and dying of thirst.
Is there a mod that doesn't seem to be doing this. I think its the update but I got no clue.
Any one able to offer assistants?
I haven't been able to do a well either even when I have rope.
They say are starving to death even though there is seeds and food in pots.

LordUbik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf dying of thirst when tons of booze is there
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 05:43:24 pm »

Never happened to me. Let's check usual things.

1- there is a direct and free path to food and drinks?

2- are you sure nothing is Forbidden/set to dump?

3- there is perhaps some burrow that doesn't include your stockpile?

4- is there really enough drinks and food for everyone?

JDRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 07:00:21 pm »

Well its items in the embark wagon my dwarves have unloaded.
I bought tons of drinks, seeds, plants for embark.
I haven't forbid anything so how can it be forbidden?
Why would all the items just vanish?
In most recent case its was in Masterworks I had over 500,000 embark credits. I bought tons of stuff. I only been at spot within dwarf time a few moments the site was calm, nothing should have went wrong.
I had tons of animals though that refuse to go to pasture or any where else which is has been happening to me also.
I just bought over 400 drinks.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 07:05:01 pm by JDRX »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 07:12:52 pm »

Also check:

1. Did you use an old save? For example, copy a 40.13 save to 40.18.
2. What if you remove the wagon (q - x)  and build a food stockpile?
3. Check your z menu, see how many food you actually have.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

JDRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 07:18:17 pm »

What bothered me for weeks is things literally have gotten lost in stockpiles to the dwarves. I see item its in stock, its in trade but dwarves say there is no food, drink or seed.
I don't know why or what's going wrong.
But I got no clue.
I posted about recent situation I had in Masterworks forum with same issue. One person told me its not possible to happen because if it was bug it would been reported.
The game mods have their own folders  I assume they don't cross interact with any folder except the folder its unzipped in but I could be wrong I am not modder or programmer.
I just want to build forts and not have my dwarf die on me during embark.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 07:24:27 pm »

Ah, so you are playing a mod?
Then I'm not quite sure since I only play vanilla.

One more thing, vermins can eat your food so bring some cats. BUT, I don't think it is the cause in your case. You said you brought tons of food, it's hardly possible they ate them all.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

JDRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 08:57:10 pm »

This pretty much has happen in LNP and Masterworks mod.
Fantastic death by thirst happen but for some other reason. I think the dwarf got sick but I couldn't get the "chain" or something together to make a well.
In fact the Fantastic version is only game I seem to lasted and actually been able to figure out trades,etc.

Dracko81

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 09:02:09 pm »

I was going to ask if you had a bucket and access to a water source.

LordUbik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 09:18:55 pm »

Reeeeally strange... at this point the only thing i csn suggedt you is to download everything again and start over with a fresh install. This could be a Masterwork bug, so you should try with vanilla and see what happens.

one more thing i did not understood... the problrm happened only one time or you tryed multiple embarks?

JDRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 11:58:06 pm »

I can try again but this happen at my first embark in Masterworks that first time in a week. I have been playing other versions LNP I finally figured out how to stop my antivirus program thinking that starter pack launcher was a virus.
It was some annoying issue with SONAR that was blocking it because it wasn't a familar well known program.
But every game I have played this week in LNP has ended with death by thirst.
And every game/embark I played the week prior in Masterworks has been due to death by thirst.
I figured in Masterworks is there is water requirement in Dwarves
 And I figured in that case it was had to do with where I embarked the water froze over and there was huge awful melt down by some dwarf that was behaving beserk but wasn't really on the civillian list it was just simply bizarre.
The whole drink and water thing has been thorn in my side for over week in numerous mods and its not that I am not trying something literally weird is happening like I got tons of seeds and things that should be making drinks, I got tons of stuff that should be drinks but the Dwarves simply don't recognize that they can drink something or something is off.
The dwarves in question that died of thirst weren't ill or nothing said they were ill.
I have got some bizarre surprise deaths and there is no way for me personally to figure out why they are occurring but main one is thirst.
Which is weird in itself because healthy dwarves don't normally require water especially if there is booze. And I have no clue why if there is tons of booze they don't seem to have access to it.
I haven't gotten to point I can figure out how to set up a military yet.
They don't die from invaders they die of thirst or another unhappy dwarf because all dwarves are refusing to do stuff to get stuff done.
I figure in this last two weeks that a embark a day cause most of my embarks don't last more than five hours of game play. 7 of those were Masterwork, maybe 10 in LNP and 1 in Fantastic because I lasted a year before they died of lack of water.
But this is first time they died in Masterworks in first few moments of play after embark.
Maybe it was that they couldn't get down because I channel when up and downstairs from the outside didn't work.
I simply don't know that why I am posting this. I don't know how how to fix this.
I don't know what to do and whenever  I have tried to create a water supply something goes wrong,
Just like my animals refusing to go to zones I set for them.
I wish I knew what is going wrong,
I have watched lot of tutorials and read whatever I could and there just something missing.
This really making the game very unfun for me.
I want to build forts and maybe use the cool parts of Masterworks but I haven't even been able to get to advance parts where I can use the library that is the problem.
I just wish there was a way I could show what steps I took and things that occurred in embarks I have played so someone with more experience could tell me what I did wrong or if its glitch.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 12:27:00 am by JDRX »

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 03:14:17 am »

Was it the miner who died of thirst?

It's not uncommon to accidentally trap your miner somewhere off in the ground by having him remove the exit path. Ramps are particularly well-suited for accidents of that kind.

Constructing walls and stairs can also trap your masons/carpenters somewhere.

Then there's the trap of workshops having impassable tiles. You can accidentally wall in your cook in the kitchen if you place other workshops right next to the kitchen. To see which tiles of a workshop are impassable, try placing one somewhere. The dark green Xs are impassable.

But yes, it would help to narrow down the problem if you told us more about what you did when you started that fortress.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

WDDworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 08:06:29 am »

I am still not sure wether all your thirst problems are in combination with those mods.
I have never touched a mod for Dwarf Fortress and personally don't have a reason to start using them. (find it particular that certain new players start off with Masterwork or whatever; just start in vanilla and sing a song about how you miss a girl)

Seeing as he is describing multiple deaths by thirst, I would suspect it's not a lonely miner, who dug himself inside a hole.

I can only say this:

- Either you do something wrong, each and every embark.
   - Locking in your dwarves after building workshops
   - Forbade all booze (how many different features do the mods have for booze?)
   - Burrows
   - Maybe linked a stockpile incorrectly (no idea wether this stops Dwarves from using said stockpile for their own needs)

- It's a mod issue

I am very sure it is not a native vanilla bug or anything like that.

If you just embark with atleast some booze and do absolutely nothing.. Do they still die of thirst?

I never actually have any problems with Dwarves dying from thirst.. Not in earlier versions and not in the newer versions. (I played the last few new 2014 versions, since it has had a lot of speedy patches)
The only single event for me.. was having Dwarves not being able to find (fresh) water to give to an animal / Dwarf.
I think I managed to capture a troglodyte and I only had a huge salt ocean, so that job cancellation made perfect sense. (it stopped after I was able to make a fresh water chism with a well)

I somehow suspect one of the mods having changed the raws of the liquids or something similar to that.. So that the Dwarves do not recognize said booze.

I don't think it's possible for an external program, like anti-virus, to cause these problems. (ie. it will either work or not work at all)
Maybe dfhack / dwarf therapist, if you are using those. (with all those fast updates, I actually managed to play a game with 150 dwarves without Therapist/Dfhack.. first time for me)
Only have to wait for dfhack in order to clean up liquids and such, if it becomes necessary.

JDRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 09:43:17 am »

I am still not sure wether all your thirst problems are in combination with those mods.
I have never touched a mod for Dwarf Fortress and personally don't have a reason to start using them. (find it particular that certain new players start off with Masterwork or whatever; just start in vanilla and sing a song about how you miss a girl)

Seeing as he is describing multiple deaths by thirst, I would suspect it's not a lonely miner, who dug himself inside a hole.

I can only say this:

- Either you do something wrong, each and every embark.
   - Locking in your dwarves after building workshops
   - Forbade all booze (how many different features do the mods have for booze?)
   - Burrows
   - Maybe linked a stockpile incorrectly (no idea wether this stops Dwarves from using said stockpile for their own needs)

- It's a mod issue

If you just embark with atleast some booze and do absolutely nothing.. Do they still die of thirst?

I never actually have any problems with Dwarves dying from thirst.. Not in earlier versions and not in the newer versions. (I played the last few new 2014 versions, since it has had a lot of speedy patches)
The only single event for me.. was having Dwarves not being able to find (fresh) water to give to an animal / Dwarf.
I think I managed to capture a troglodyte and I only had a huge salt ocean, so that job cancellation made perfect sense. (it stopped after I was able to make a fresh water chism with a well)

I somehow suspect one of the mods having changed the raws of the liquids or something similar to that.. So that the Dwarves do not recognize said booze.

I don't think it's possible for an external program, like anti-virus, to cause these problems. (ie. it will either work or not work at all)
Maybe dfhack / dwarf therapist, if you are using those. (with all those fast updates, I actually managed to play a game with 150 dwarves without Therapist/Dfhack.. first time for me)
Only have to wait for dfhack in order to clean up liquids and such, if it becomes necessary.

My antivirus program literally removed or quaranteed apart of the starter pack. It took me a while to figure out how to get it to not remove the launcher for newest version of LNP due to it not recognizing it.
I remove all the mods and just reinstalled the newest starter packs. I haven't uploaded any other mods.
I brought drinks, few seeds and plants, and usual basics rope, thread, etc. and so far I lasted since autumn but the dwarves really don't have any food.
When I butcher, by the time cook gets to its rotten.
No death by thirst so far.
No clue why it was happening.
I haven't figured out how to do burrows, wells or military yet though.
I do know how to claim and forbid though.
And there this thing with white gem looking things I think called silk spider man. monkeys and hippos near by that I am bit nervous about but luckily they haven't killed a dwarf yet..
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 09:46:17 am by JDRX »

LordUbik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 09:58:37 am »

So, for the antivirus thing, yeah it's a pain, but it's simply because the AV doesn't know the file itself. Simply exclude it from the sonar and everything will be fine (i usually exclude the whole folder).

So, talking about the problem itself...
it seems to me that you are doing something wrong.

1- Seeds can't be used to make drinks, the have to be planted by your farmers in farm plots. This will give you food. In addition, you can pick up plants from the ground by enabling the Plants Gathering job on one or more of your dwarves, then highlining a nice chunk of earth with the [d]-[p] command.

2- If your food is rotting, that means that it is not stored in a food stockpile. Simply make a stockpile for food [p]-[f]-[enter] to define the area then-[enter] again to finish defining. After this you need to have enough barrels, built by a carpenter, to store every single piece of food. The cook will then take it to make meals.

3- Cooking right at the start is not a good idea, in my opinion. You nedd the seeds that are destroied by cooking, and to have good ingredients (flour, meat etc...) you need a pretty advanced industry. I usually start cooking food only during the second year. Again, this is only my opinion.

4- You mean spider man silk? Never saw that! By the way, monkey and hippos are not too much aggressive (well, some kind of monkey it is, but not everyone), simply avoid to give orders that would bring your dwarves too close to them.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 10:00:24 am by LordUbik »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 10:08:45 am »

There is one that could do that, but only if you're using burrows.
()==[:::::::::::::>
Pages: [1] 2