Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Killing a forgotten beast  (Read 2473 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Killing a forgotten beast
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 10:04:34 am »

Don't send melee dwarves against poisonous gas unless you don't care about causalities.

You can build a trap corridor between your main area and the cavern area, use a fortification to to block the way and a draw bridge to trap enemies.

cavern===========xx=H==F=======

xx = draw bridge
H = hatch/stair that links to your fort
F = fortification

It is quite simple. When the hatch is open, the FB will find its way into your fort. Lock the hatch. Since it can't attack the hatch from below, it will fall back. Now pull the lever, open/close the hatch to lure it, wait for the bridge to close. Now station your firing squad behind the fortification and have fun.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 10:06:22 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2014, 10:21:10 am »

Trap it. And experiment with its dust. For science!

They are building destroyers but destroying buildings takes long enough for you to pull a lever and close a bridge. You can also make auto-trigger FB traps, with submerged pressure plates and doors that the FB destroys thus triggering the trap.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 04:51:31 pm »

I've been thinking about water, pressure plates, and doors to trigger action against building destroyers. However, I'm somewhat unsure as to what works, and what doesn't (and haven't found much when searching):
1. Single tile room with a pressure plate triggered on e.g. 5/7 water filled with 6/7 water with a juicy door. Will the trigger be activated when the water pours out (as well as when it was poured in)?
2. Can you build a 1/7 water triggered pressure plate and then put a door on top of it, so it triggers when the door is opened/destroyed?
3. If neither of these works, will a 1/7 pressure plate on the tile in front of the door trigger fast enough to catch the vandal when the room is filled to 6/7?
4. Will the effect be significantly improved by a two tile high water chamber?

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2014, 05:37:07 pm »

There is nothing to beat a cave in or magma to defeat a forgotten beast. Or, of course, both. Magma is more dwarven, but a cave in may suffice if magma is not available yet.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 08:33:55 pm »

There is nothing to beat a cave in or magma to defeat a forgotten beast. Or, of course, both. Magma is more dwarven, but a cave in may suffice if magma is not available yet.
Why not a combination of both?

Cause a cave in on top of magma that causes the magma mist to melt the FB!
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2014, 05:34:40 am »

I've been thinking about water, pressure plates, and doors to trigger action against building destroyers. However, I'm somewhat unsure as to what works, and what doesn't (and haven't found much when searching).

Just try it out, auto-trigger is a bonus (take care that your design not only traps the beast but keeps it in even when say remaining fluid evaporates naturally or due to the beast, some designs out there look fishy to me, you can also work with the off signal). Most important part is: destroying buildings takes significant time. So even with only a few doors in a path into your fort you can trap them manually (lever pulling) while they destroy doors.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2014, 10:55:25 am »

Don't send melee dwarves against poisonous gas unless you don't care about causalities.

You can build a trap corridor between your main area and the cavern area, use a fortification to to block the way and a draw bridge to trap enemies.

cavern===========xx=H==F=======

xx = draw bridge
H = hatch/stair that links to your fort
F = fortification

It is quite simple. When the hatch is open, the FB will find its way into your fort. Lock the hatch. Since it can't attack the hatch from below, it will fall back. Now pull the lever, open/close the hatch to lure it, wait for the bridge to close. Now station your firing squad behind the fortification and have fun.
I was actually planning to do something similar. I was planning to make 2 rows of fortifications, with some space in between so that the dust could in no way reach the marksdwarves. That was actually what I meant with "engineering the cavern's layout to my advantage". XD

I've been thinking about water, pressure plates, and doors to trigger action against building destroyers. However, I'm somewhat unsure as to what works, and what doesn't (and haven't found much when searching):
1. Single tile room with a pressure plate triggered on e.g. 5/7 water filled with 6/7 water with a juicy door. Will the trigger be activated when the water pours out (as well as when it was poured in)?
2. Can you build a 1/7 water triggered pressure plate and then put a door on top of it, so it triggers when the door is opened/destroyed?
3. If neither of these works, will a 1/7 pressure plate on the tile in front of the door trigger fast enough to catch the vandal when the room is filled to 6/7?
4. Will the effect be significantly improved by a two tile high water chamber?
Things to do with pumping and offensive engineering were actually in the back of my mind for quite some time, but I haven't actually raised a fortress to the point where I had really no other project to do that since v40 came out. I had a lot of time to do that in a 34.11 fort, but I was too nooby back then. XD

Cause a cave in on top of magma that causes the magma mist to melt the FB!
That sound genius, but I think it would have taken so much time that the FB would probably have been killed by a bunch of gobbos by then.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2014, 04:02:49 am »

Ouch!

The number one rule of dwarf fortress is always find out what the deadly dust does before sending in the troops. Nothing else in the game can even begin to compare to the horror of deadly dust with a little bit of RNG spite thrown into the roll.

It's hilarious when the dust just ends up causing nothing worse than the common cold, but it's not nearly so funny when it causes flesh melting hemorrhagic death, particularly if it has a nice long delay on it so you don't realize your screwed until its been tracked everywhere through the fort.
Pages: 1 [2]