Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Extraterrestrial Defense Department- Nation management during invasion  (Read 5350 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Extraterrestrial Defense Department- Nation management during invasion
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2014, 03:35:35 pm »

Spoiler: AT rifle (click to show/hide)
Wait. Which side did we support in WWII? Or are these trophies from getting invaded? Anyway, let's find out if they can penetrate the Battle Armor. If so, we need to start building them and training troops.

Reverse enginering samples of their weaponry (Type Ones and Type Threes) hasnot gone well, and little has been learned except that they appear to be some sort of projectile weapon made out of ferrous alloy, with ceramic bits.
Let's forget the "how" for a moment, and concentrate on the "what". Can we fire these weapons (all types, not just 1 and 3)? What sort of damage can they do? Are our APCs safe from direct hits? (just in case: don't use actual APCs, use armor plate). Can our armored vests stop the fragments? And are there fragments to stop or is the explosion just a side effect? How much ammo do the weapons have on average? Can we identify spare ammo? If we can, and we have it, can you actually replace ammo in a gun? Do other tests- we have 13 Type Ones left, I'd like to keep one 'for the museum' and the rest are released to the science corps to play with as they see fit.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 03:46:37 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2014, 03:50:49 pm »

((We where neutral, and the gun was technally swiss, made by the swiss, who where 'neutral'...))

According to our tests, the weapon is indeed able to penetrate the armor at any location. However, its weight and bulk make it prohibitive as a standard infantry weapon, making field use harder. Examination of the weapons and ammo in storage show that they are unsuitable for combat use.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2014, 06:49:03 pm »

Start testing to see if we could make a 50 cal battle rifle capable of piercing the armor.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2014, 07:10:59 pm »

Gyrojets aren't that impossible...

Also, take a closer look at those crystals. See if we can do chemical analysis on some of them. Examine the engines, if there are engines, as well, and we should definitely do firing tests on the weapons. I want to see what mechanism they use to fire.

But seriously, I want chemical analysis on the ceramics, the crystals, and the ferrous alloys. Test their capacities and qualities; melting points, stress tests, all that. I want to know just what we're dealing with, so we can possibly make it ourselves, or at least figure out how to break it. And with the battle armor: I want to figure out where and how and what our weapons do to it, and what we need to do to get through it. I also want us constructing ballistic gel equivalents for the alien life-forms, to simulate how it will act inside them; we need info above all else right now.

Get our biochemist and doctors working on the alien captured. I know we said to analyze them, but I want them to be goddamn experts on the way their cells work, the way their organs interact, and most of all; I want to know about the immune system. Diseases and poisons are our friends, when used on the enemy.

I forget if electron microscopy is a thing yet, but if it is, do that with some of the crystal and ceramic.

I have a suspicion that those crystals are the computers/flight system, possibly with psionic stuff(because aliens always seem to have it). See if the craft has any weapons, get one of our ballistics engineers working on that, too.

Hmmm...what should we get those production lines working on?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2014, 07:15:29 pm »

I know gyrojets are possible, but they where a bitch to get working.

Hence why the engies threw things.
Highly Opinionated Fool

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2014, 07:24:09 pm »

Gyrojets aren't that impossible.
They are incredibly expensive (you can expect prices in excess of 100PP per kiloround), and we'll need to do a lot of research (relatively speaking) to get them working. On the other hand, we have the enemy weapons- no matter how good you think GJ is , this will be a head and shoulders better. We just need to figure out how to use them.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2014, 08:14:39 pm »

They might be gyrojets for all you know.
Highly Opinionated Fool

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2014, 09:26:21 pm »

They might be gyrojets for all you know.
I'll admit the whole type B and his Type One ceramic rifle firing explosive rounds sounds rather like Space Marines (which have gyrojet weapons), but at least these will be futuristic alien gyrojets (it's like the difference between a Lorenz Rifle and an FN-FAL. Both are files, firing pre-filled percussion cap rounds. But one is just better in every way)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2014, 10:32:30 pm »

Gyrojets aren't that impossible.
They are incredibly expensive (you can expect prices in excess of 100PP per kiloround), and we'll need to do a lot of research (relatively speaking) to get them working. On the other hand, we have the enemy weapons- no matter how good you think GJ is , this will be a head and shoulders better. We just need to figure out how to use them.
Or we combine their weapons and our weapons.

Really, Gyrojets would probably be most useful attached to grenades. But then we're just back to RPGs.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a deep dislike of the natural world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2014, 11:53:12 pm »

Is there anyway we could do to improve our already existing weapons?
Crack-a-lack-a

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2014, 12:00:56 am »

Yep.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2014, 01:18:26 am »

Electro-Thermal-Chemical weapons would be nice.

But, on the other hand, the recoil would need to be handled somehow...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2014, 02:00:04 pm »

so... dead?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2014, 02:34:57 pm »

Waiting for more things, unless you all think its ready for another week.
Highly Opinionated Fool

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2014, 02:35:55 pm »

so... dead?
Bro... It's been two days
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5