Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Extraterrestrial Defense Department- Nation management during invasion  (Read 5352 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Welcome to the small nation of Plokhoy Ostrov, located mainly on the small Atlantic island of Plokhoy Ostrov. Now, to work: We are in the midst of an attack by extraterrestrial forces. All contact with artificial satellites has ended, and we assume that they where destroyed. In addition, undersea communication lines appear cut. As such the council has ordered the establishment of the Extraterrestrial Defense Department. You have been chosen to advise this body, established to oversee defense of our fine land. We wish you, and all other members of the department, luck.

Why this is: I enjoy weapon design games and alien defense games, and decided to try running a game that combines both in a cold war era setting.

Island back story: The Russian Empire, deciding that they too needed a overseas colony, and found the near-useless island of Plokhoy Ostrov. As nothing really interesting was on the island it was largely ignored, its population (of below 5000) being mostly farmers scraping a living out of the stony soil and fishermen doing similar in the sea. That is, until the October Revolution, when the hard-pressed White Army remembered that they had a population untapped for military service and the locals, along with the 40-odd troops stationed there decided they would rather not go fight, and decided to stage their own revolution. This was more or less uncontested, and the resulting communist nation was largely ignored by the nations of the world, at least until 1946, when gold was discovered in a local quarry.

The year is now 1986, and the nation is very different from how it was when it was formed. The population is now in the hundreds of thousands, highly educated, and the nation is one of the leaders in technology, helping to lead the way in such fields as particle physics and space exploration.
  And now a group of extraterrestrials have rolled in, destroyed most of what humanity has placed into space, and now is threatening Earth itself. Let us hope that humanity survives this trial.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Extraterrestrial Defense Department- Nation management during invasion
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 07:38:07 pm »

Section for designs

Pre-Invasion Designs
Spoiler: FN-FAL (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Model M1986-30 APC (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Model M1952-CAT/C (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Model M1978-F (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Helicopters inuse (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: M1979-MS destroyer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: M1974-GP patrol boat (click to show/hide)
'New' designs
Spoiler: AT rifle (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: PG-17-8 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 01:38:24 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 07:38:24 pm »

The aliens did not come in saucers to land in front of monuments as many thought they would have done. Indeed, for the first days of the invasion the aliens did not even enter the atmosphere at all, preferring to redirect objects passing near the planet to bombard much of the worlds military and civic centers from affair, even as they destroyed all humanity placed above the world with other redirected objects. In space alone nearly two hundred bright minds were snuffed out in moments. The defenses of the worlds nations scrambled to defeat the threat, with some being more successful than others. Few areas were rather unaffected, mostly remote areas, including the small island nation of Plokhoy Ostrov, where due to most of the land being earmarked for agricultural purposes most development occurred underground.

A week has passed since the initial bombardment, and the aliens, or rather their craft, have been spotted for the first time in the skies of Earth. Interceptors scrambled from bases that survived bombardment have met with little success, in the few cases observed over council airspace the single extraterrestrial craft shot down by interceptors resulted in the loss of most of the force scrambled, and then was only able to be taken down with assistance from ground based air defenses, mostly mobile gun beds.
  The resulting operation against the downed craft by nearly a fifth of the military forces on the island nearly ended in failure, as most of the forces deployed came under attack by a number of vaguely reptilian creatures armed with what appeared to be rapidly firing grenade launchers and armored with a substance that proved highly resistant to normal rifle fire. All enemy combatants of this type where killed via fire from the gunships dispatched. There where also a pair of smaller combatants who where found dead on arrival, seemingly from cannon fire during aerial combat.

Asmuch of the craft and all portable artifacts have been sent to the labs. The local military forces have expressed desire to get weapons better suited to defeat these combatants.

Resources under the Departments Command:

Spoiler: Military forces (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Civilian resources (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Captured Resources (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:45:37 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 07:40:54 pm »

PTW
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 07:41:40 pm »

Post-Traumatic Whistling
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 07:43:03 pm »

PTW. Quick question, how sci-fi will the weapons get? Can we build ray guns and particle beams eventually or are we just stuck with conventional weapons and whatever we can reverse engineer from the invaders?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 07:53:27 pm »

PTW
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 07:56:34 pm »

How different is this history from ours? A new player in Space exploration circa 1986 is a notable change, are there others?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 07:59:06 pm »

PTW.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 07:48:07 pm »

So, has the background been sufficiently developed? Should we begin making weapons and whatnot?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 08:02:49 pm »

Looks interesting.

I'll try it.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 08:50:37 pm »

I still have some work I have to do (namely, getting designs for the basic things, shifting some things). other than the island and its fun in space, the only real difference is that the cold war ended in the late 70s, with Germany still separate and the USSR and the US are alot less... antagonistic on the world stage.

As for fancy weapons, as fancy as you can get without breaking physics much. You probably arent going to see any 300ft tall mechs with laser weapons and FTL tho. Lasers, yes. Mechs, possibly. FTL, probably in some form.
Highly Opinionated Fool

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 10:15:45 pm »

Patty's Traditional Waffles

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 11:38:52 am »

Section for designs

Pre-Invasion Designs
Spoiler: FN-FAL (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Model M1986-30 APC (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Model M1952-CAT/C (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Model M1978-F (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Helicopters inuse (click to show/hide)
How come a whole APC costs as much as a truck? or 100 rifles (each of which costs about as much as 2 magazines of ammo for it)
I'm not sure what "body armor" is, but I can't imagine it costing the same as a 30mm autocannon.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 11:52:33 am »

Since the cannon says single, maybe the body armor is multiple units?
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5