Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 57

Author Topic: Operation Overlord, Day Five: Game Over! Town, Town-Ally, and Survivor Victory!  (Read 110403 times)

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Overlord, Day Five: Everyday Breaches of Military Protocol
« Reply #240 on: December 31, 2014, 02:14:57 pm »

Yeah, I think my vote's going to stay where it is.

I can appreciate a good scum trap, but pretending to daykill someone, and then asking for reads and crap afterwards?

I just...

TolyK did a better job explaining the "change in perception" bit than I could.

Actually, fake dayvigs are a pretty common town tactic. If they hit scum, they can effectively root them out if the town players focus on the reactions and not the fact that a reaction test took place.

It appears that this town does not want to focus on any analysis and instead is more happy to kneejerk lynch. Congrats guys. hopefully you all look at my posts after I flip and use them to scumhunt actual scum instead of getting hung up on me.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Overlord, Day Five: Everyday Breaches of Military Protocol
« Reply #241 on: December 31, 2014, 02:18:58 pm »

Scripten, surely you were expecting this kind of backlash from your actions? You're not a jester, are you?

I expected an amount of backlash, though I was hoping that some players would look at the analysis as well and understand what was accomplished. Town working together to find scum are a lot more effective than town lynching "stupid" town players.

Can you give an example of a reaction test that doesn't revolve around a temporary state of misinformation.
Sure I can.

...okay? Could you please?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Overlord, Day Five: Fakeouts, anyone?
« Reply #242 on: December 31, 2014, 02:25:54 pm »

Scripten, surely you were expecting this kind of backlash from your actions? You're not a jester, are you?

I expected an amount of backlash, though I was hoping that some players would look at the analysis as well and understand what was accomplished. Town working together to find scum are a lot more effective than town lynching "stupid" town players.

Can you give an example of a reaction test that doesn't revolve around a temporary state of misinformation.
Sure I can.

He just did.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 31, 2014, 02:28:07 pm »

Currently I'm hesistant to vote Scripten because I very busy and haven't had time to read through Scripten's posts and his interaction prior to "vigging Caz". Since you guys probably want mor info from me than my previous post.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 31, 2014, 02:29:38 pm »

Also, since today is the New Year and I will be out with friends, here are my list of reads:

Scummiest
Caz
Vivalas
Comrade Shamrock
TolyK
flabort
----------------------------------- Line of lynchability
Deathsword
Persus13
Tiruin
Silthuri
TheDarkStar
Deus Asmoth
mastahcheese
Towniest

PS: Apologies for the massive strings of posts. The day is going by quickly and I will not be able to play come tonight.

Persus13: You mean the post he made? I suppose you could say so about any vote/post, I guess?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 31, 2014, 02:43:58 pm »

Sure I can.

Your reaction indicates disbelief and a preconceived notion about what can and cannot make up a reaction test.

Persus13: You mean the post he made? I suppose you could say so about any vote/post, I guess?
Furthermore it indicates that you think I'm being a jerk.
OK, I'm being a jerk, I admit it.

Actually, fake dayvigs are a pretty common town tactic.
I cannot find any proof of this. Please link me to one or more archived games where this took place.
I will point out that "lynch all liars" does not just apply to where the setups are known (That was only an example given on the mafiascum wiki, not the definition), but really stands for "town has no reason to lie". If someone has a reason to lie, then it stands that they are not town. If you're lying for no reason, then you look like someone who has a reason to lie, and look like someone who is not town and waste the town's time. So I claim that the "lynch all liars" policy still applies.

The only gambits I can think of that you'd be trying to pull are the Slayer's Gambit, which is RiA, and... well, I can't find any documentation anywhere that indicates that claiming dayvig has any history.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 31, 2014, 03:11:49 pm »

The idea that town has no reason to lie seems a bit simplistic to me. If it were true, scum could just ask people what their roles were and they'd get told since the town wouldn't be able to lie.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 31, 2014, 03:15:18 pm »

The idea that town has no reason to lie seems a bit simplistic to me. If it were true, scum could just ask people what their roles were and they'd get told since the town wouldn't be able to lie.
You can just refuse. If you ask me "What is your role?" and I respond "I'm not going to answer that." am I lying? No.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 31, 2014, 03:25:25 pm »

I cannot find any proof of this. Please link me to one or more archived games where this took place.
I will point out that "lynch all liars" does not just apply to where the setups are known (That was only an example given on the mafiascum wiki, not the definition), but really stands for "town has no reason to lie". If someone has a reason to lie, then it stands that they are not town. If you're lying for no reason, then you look like someone who has a reason to lie, and look like someone who is not town and waste the town's time. So I claim that the "lynch all liars" policy still applies.

The only gambits I can think of that you'd be trying to pull are the Slayer's Gambit, which is RiA, and... well, I can't find any documentation anywhere that indicates that claiming dayvig has any history.

On the mafiascum forums, the fake dayvig test was used so much that it's become useless because nobody reacts to it. However, I've found a few examples to share with the class:

Example 1
Example 2 (This an actual dayvig using the fake dayvig)
Example 3
Example 4 (This was a dayvig-heavy setup, but the first dayvig was fake)
Example 5 (This was a little silly, since it was an open setup and people knew what roles there were, tho)
Example 6 (This fake dayvig caught scum, despite the MS.net meta surrounding the test)
Example 7
Example 8
Example 9 (Two in a row here. Didn't work, but they tried)
Example 10

I can provide more examples, of course. Suffice to say that it's not rare. You'll notice that a majority of these tests are pulled off by players who flipped town, as well. Since this is a different site, the reaction test was more useful, garnering actual reactions and giving me useful information that I've compiled. It's up to you to actually look at it and make judgement calls fro man objective standpoint.

Deathsword: Do you seriously play mafia in a fashion that is that deterministic? I'll have to remember this for when I flip scum.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 31, 2014, 03:36:00 pm »

Deathsword: Do you seriously play mafia in a fashion that is that deterministic? I'll have to remember this for when I flip scum.
I'm sorry, but how is that deterministic? I was just explaining to Deus Asmoth the problem in their reasoning.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 31, 2014, 03:41:22 pm »

I'm sorry, but how is that deterministic? I was just explaining to Deus Asmoth the problem in their reasoning.

I'm not sure that using a checkbox-y flowchart is anything more than deterministic. Maybe I'm wrong.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 31, 2014, 07:59:56 pm »

Unfortunate Accident Voting:
mastahcheese(0):
TheDarkStar(0):
Scripten(5): mastahcheese, Caz, Deathsword, flabort, TolyK
Caz(1): Scripten
Deathsword(0):
Persus13(0):
Vivalas(1): Deus Asmoth
Tiruin(0):
Silthuri(0):
flabort(1): Persus13
TolyK(2): TheDarkStar, Vivalas
Comrade Shamrock(0):
Deus Asmoth(0):
No Lynch(0):
Not Voting: Tiruin, Silthuri, Comrade Shamrock

Lookout Voting:
mastahcheese(4): TheDarkStar, Scripten, flabort, Deus Asmoth
TheDarkStar(0):
Scripten(0):
Caz(2): Caz, Comrade Shamrock
Deathsword(0):
Persus13(1): Persus13
Vivalas(0):
Tiruin(0):
Silthuri(0):
flabort(0):
TolyK(0):
Comrade Shamrock(0):
Deus Asmoth(0):
Not Voting: mastahcheese, Deathsword, Vivalas, Tiruin, Silthuri, TolyK

Current Lynch Target: Scripten
Current Lookout Target: mastahcheese

Both votecounts should be correct, although they may not be.  Please inform me of any errors or miscalculations.

Day will end on January 1st at 9 am PST, or approximately 16 hours from now.

An important note for those of you with day actions: My internet will be off, as it always is, from 9:00 pm to 7:00 am.  If you wish for your action to be processed before two hours from day end, the cutoff is 8:30 my time to give me time to process them.  That's 11:30 forum time.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 31, 2014, 08:45:49 pm »

An important note for those of you with day actions: My internet will be off, as it always is, from 9:00 pm to 7:00 am.  If you wish for your action to be processed before two hours from day end, the cutoff is 8:30 my time to give me time to process them.  That's 11:30 forum time.

Ooh, so I could actually be killed? How exciting.

To be honest I don't have any good reads for day 1. I hate day 1. It's all rambling and uselessness and you usually lynch a townie at the end. Also it's Hogmanay and I'm way too hungover/drunk (TIL you can be both) to do the scumhunting thing. Hopefully it all turns out in the end. Scripten is still nuts though.

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Overlord, Day Five: Day One has begun!
« Reply #253 on: December 31, 2014, 11:29:20 pm »

Scripten:
Also why Vivalas? You say he's scummier but you don't say how. Deathsword has a post on why, so what are your reasons?

I already said, but because of him trying to extend RVS, which is a scum-sided action, and due to the way he's playing. It feels scummier than the other players. I'm also giving you a little bit of a benefit of the doubt due to experience with your town playstyle, though this will ebb quickly as the game goes on.
Where exactly have you stated your reasoning on Vivalas? I looked, I couldn't find it perhaps you could point it out. You may not be voting him currently but he's still your no. 2 pick.

Unless you're suggesting you're some sort of day investigator with your first post which I find unlikely since you're voting Caz.

As to my vague answer. We are in the 1st infantry division explain to me why I would need an Anti-Tank gun in a situation where we are hunting spies.

Why are you intentionally drawing attention to the flavor in your role?

Deus asked me a question, Caz has also commented. Do you want me to ignore them? Also this information is readily available in the OP.

Scripten

Comrade Shamrock:
I know you're trying to avoid a no lynch but it just seems odd that you're suggesting go Tolyk or whoever you choose.

Why? Why should I go with someone else's wagon when I'm the only person here I know for sure to be town?
Why should we go with your choices? Town are usually only sure of our own alignments (Masons are an exception). So Tolyk or whoever you wanted was who you said we should lynch just to avoid a tie. No more compelling argument was put forward. You vote Vivalas with no comment on him (that I can find). You say he's scummier than me when Deus questions your vote. But you say you want Caz lynched. But you won't vote Caz at this point or at least make a case because he doesn't have enough votes. You could have left a vote on Vivalas if you so wished and tried to convince others to vote Caz.

Umm.... could you explain the below.
Also, your checkbox usage of scumtells is absolutely suboptimal town play.
Flabort & TheDarkStar: I'm glad you don't want to see a no lynch happen, but I think you should consider that TolyK has dropped towntells more than scumtells, and you're just getting rid of an experienced player because you don't want to kill a newbie on day 1.
Sorry but it seems similar. So you're counting scumtells and towntells and comparing numbers but if someone views lying as a big scumtell it's a problem.

I can provide more examples, of course. Suffice to say that it's not rare. You'll notice that a majority of these tests are pulled off by players who flipped town, as well. Since this is a different site, the reaction test was more useful, garnering actual reactions and giving me useful information that I've compiled. It's up to you to actually look at it and make judgement calls fro man objective standpoint.
Sorry but you're providing the samples to justify your own actions which could lead to bias so I can't really trust them since you brought that fact up.

Also why'd you pick Caz for the fake vigging in the first place?

Scummiest
Caz
Vivalas
Comrade Shamrock
TolyK
flabort
----------------------------------- Line of lynchability
Deathsword
Persus13
Tiruin
Silthuri
TheDarkStar
Deus Asmoth
mastahcheese
Towniest
Is there any reason why you trust who you trust or want to kill the rest? Please it is just important to state why as to state it at all.

Flabort:
What I learned from Scripten's word associations. He wanted to be annoying.

Yours:
Scripten:
Give some words that you associate with town?
While it's not directed to me, I don't see the point of this question?
The point and purpose is to elicit information. Since you interrupted you can answer too. It'll be easier to show when it's answered.
Words I associate with town: City, Doctor, Cop, Vanilla, died last night, clueless, day, question, mislynch, lynch, Vigilante, random, Lacombe, Morningside, Blackfaulds, Sewage, Sylvan Lake, Village, Hamlet, McDonalds, Medium, Home.
I still don't see the point. It's just a question that creates an answer; the answer is not in any way evidence to anything, except that those words can be associated with that word. And that I play a lot of Mafia. And live in Central Alberta. However, saying a random list of those words will not make you town in any way; I don't see how you can use these words as anything as a prosecutor, nor do I see any way these would be useful to the defense team.
You have named 3 (possibly 4) power roles: Cop, Doc and Vig (I'm not sure if med is one) Vig is separate from the others and so is medium. This suggests to me that you were trying to think up enough to put down. You also used "died" when let's face it no one dies by a proper accident at night in mafia. They are actually killed. You are using a less violent term. Could mean nothing though, just your choice of words perhaps. You also use clueless, I haven't seen yourself insulting yourself in the game yet. Are you the kind that does that I wonder. Maybe you're bragging early. Mislynch comes first while it is a common occurrence in town it could be your order of preference, also it is the more complicated version of the two which seems to be odd. Random could refer to the question itself or applies to a lot of things so irrelevant in my eyes. Then there is your group of placenames which doesn't add much except to lengthen it. Maybe you're testing maybe you just want to add length or you're just doing it to say the question is pointless. While it doesn't add much overall it gives me some perspective. I'm getting slight scum from this.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 31, 2014, 11:59:15 pm »

You can just refuse. If you ask me "What is your role?" and I respond "I'm not going to answer that." Am I lying? No.
You're still omitting the truth for your own gain, and in a situation where town never lied, that answer would make you seem scummy as well.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 57