Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Streaming and shit  (Read 981 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Streaming and shit
« on: November 23, 2014, 04:05:10 pm »

So yeah, some time ago I used to occasionally stream stuff on livestream back when that was a bit of a fad around here. That was... What, like 3-4 years ago? Anyway...

I've been thinking about doing it again on a sorta small scale since I know some friends of mine used to like watching how I did things in some games. But livestream was... Pretty bad. What exactly are my alternatives and how hard/easy are they to use.

I DO know that Twitch and Hitbox exist, though I don't exactly know how they are to use on the streamers end.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Streaming and shit
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 04:26:11 pm »

Also, are there any that are good for a crappy connection?

Streams kill mine unless they can be relatively low quality.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 03:35:09 am »

I stream on Twitch, it's not that bad for casual streaming (which is what I do, ~2 hours twice a week-ish). I guess the best question to narrow down the options is "what do you want out of your streaming website?"
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 05:09:13 am »

could set up some batshit internet radio setup and broadcast video as super high bitrate mp4 or whatev

i know it's been done, will edit post after i ask around

e: fuck that took a while

basically what you want to do is to update icecast and build the latest stable from source

then you take your recording and slap it with ffmpeg to pipe a copy of the stream into this and that'll push it into icecast

quick note: the above code device works for webm, so glhf?

alt route: build the latest ffmpeg and use libvpx shenanigans involving real time encoding and do a stream copy to throw that into icecast

if all fails, pm me and i'll try to work shit out with you
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 09:14:45 am by LordSlowpoke »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 08:59:49 pm »

As far as I know (which is not much at all, I should fix that), people still use software, for the most part either Xsplit (has a license or something) or OBS (is free, I think), and it somehow connects to twitch or hitbox or whereever you're going. If you have over some amount of viewers on twitch it gives people quality options other than the source quality you're uploading at.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 09:41:21 pm »

I stream Brawl Minus on Twitch on occasion, it works great for me. Pretty straightforward, too. (Downside: no viewer quality settings unless you have a certain number of followers.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 05:53:03 pm »

I suppose I might wanna look into things on hitbox and maybe check out OBS. Since I know shadow would like to see things I stream, but his Internet is pretty crappy.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 09:14:15 pm »

I don't think that hitbox allows users to reduce stream quality unless the streamer is partnered or has over 100 viewers or something like that.

However I thiiiiink that might be possible to do on your end when using OBS. I think reducing your bit rate can help lower the quality of the stream to match viewers with bad internet. (Although someone with more knowledge of this could more firmly confirm or deny that)

Also lowering resolution on your end might help, which OBS does as well I think.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 09:46:23 pm by Criptfeind »