Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Video game genres, which are your favorites?  (Read 2511 times)

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
  • Making a big thing this time
    • View Profile
Video game genres, which are your favorites?
« on: November 23, 2014, 02:47:37 pm »

Sandbox and RPG for me, I've always loved to have freedom in what I do in games, and from GTA to Fallout. They're never short on awesome stuff to goof round and have fun with at your own pace, they are absolutely the most enjoyable games in my opinion :D Strategy is also a really great genre, not my favorite but still really fun to play, especially the Civilization games, always challenging your brain to think up new tactics to thwart your enemies is extremely gratifying and cool to me ;D

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Video game genres, which are your favorites?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 02:51:28 pm »

Roguelikes and strategy games. RTS is nice, turn-based is nice. FPS are fun too. And the occasional MMORPG. or just plain RPG. and maybe a platformer once in awhile. or a puzzle game. heck, I like them all.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 02:53:20 pm »

FPS and grand strategy for me.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 02:57:04 pm »

Roguelikes and strategy games. RTS is nice, turn-based is nice. FPS are fun too. And the occasional MMORPG. or just plain RPG. and maybe a platformer once in awhile. or a puzzle game. heck, I like them all.

As do I, I just like these genres above all others, I have more fun with them, not that other games aren't fun in their own right. Heck, Wolfenstein: TNO almost took the cake this year for me over Shadow of Mordor, but it's always LoTR > Everything in my opinion.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 03:00:04 pm »

Real-time strategy is probably my favourite, followed by management games.

I can't do the million steps ahead planning needed to be good at turn-based games, but reactions, control and general on-the-fly adjustments to a grand strategy are things I'm good at.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 03:26:36 pm »

FPS games, RPG games, dungeon crawling monster killing looting Diablo-like games, roguelikes, and the occasional indie platformer or indie sandbox game.

Borderlands games are currently all I play when I'm home from college, due to the mix of FPS, RPG, and shittons of looting. I also play Dwarf Fort or Brutal Doom on my laptop while at college.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 03:35:55 pm »

I've had a lot of time to think about this question lately. The funny thing is I've learned I don't have a preference. I just like Video games in general.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 03:45:06 pm »

I came in here to say pretty much the same thing. My tastes are too eclectic to really classify; depending on how I'm feeling I might play anything from Far Cry to Europa Universalis to DF to a dating sim to LoL... &c.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 03:51:09 pm »

Real-time strategy is probably my favourite, followed by management games.

I can't do the million steps ahead planning needed to be good at turn-based games, but reactions, control and general on-the-fly adjustments to a grand strategy are things I'm good at.

You know, I just realized this, Fallout 1/2 are technically Strategy/RPGs, because you kind of have to plan out how to attack your enemy, and with what weapons to do the most damage, guess you learn new things everyday :D

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 12:26:21 am »

Asymmetrical Sand Timer Negotiation

(Actually, while I cut my teeth on RPGs, I find they're frequently intolerable because the writing is too poor quality and far too verbose. I'd say FPS with loads of features like commander positions, classes and loadouts, vehicles, environmental interaction, crafting using found resources, control points, and EXP granting bonuses within that match. I actually really enjoyed Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. I also liked Planetside. Also very enjoyable were Ultima Underworld and System Shock. So one could argue that I want well-written games that are as in-depth as an RPG but have the fluidity of movement and pacing of an FPS.

I also have played quite a few platformers and am basically done with them. Jumping puzzles are no fun anymore.

Flight sims are great, but please tell me why you want me to play a flight sim that doesn't allow me to jump out of the plane, parachute onto a tank, haul the driver out, and go on a tank rampage behind enemy lines. And if I can do that, you pretty much just made the FPSRPG I described above.

But the primary thing is that I don't want to grind. Give me so many fun things to do that I can't possibly do them all, rather than forcing me to repeatedly slog through stuff that isn't fun.)
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 12:45:37 am »

I Like:
*Turn-based strategy,
*RPG (preferably turn-based, and preferably with tactical combat rather than one-dimensional jrpg combat), and
*variable-person shooters (stuff like Fallout: New Vegas, and Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain, where there's first-person and third-person aspects) and shooter hybrids,
*tower defense,
*city builders,
*anything where you play as a villain (provided that it doesn't completely suck like Overlord: Dark Legend or the last two levels of Destroy All Humans II)
and
*some of the less crappy platformers (none of the ones where you have to replay nearly all of a long ass level every time you die, thus making it a waste of time [even by the standards of videogames] to even bither trying to get past anything you can't get past in two or three tries)

I Do Not Like:
*point-and-click adventures(unless it's both exceptionally well made, unusually open ended, and hilariously funny)
*MMORPGs (or anything else that requires a subscription and/or is dependent on an external server that could be capriciously shut down by the developer at any time)
*anything with any of the more obnoxious forms of DRM
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 01:13:26 am »

RTS's, particularly older-style ones. Not really into the grand strategies, or the squad based strategies.
FPS's, particularly older-style ones. One-hit-killing someone who is travelling ultra quickly through the air with a raycast gun is super satisfying.
Roguelikes, mostly because of the intricacy of some of the games.
Platformers. Usually need some sort of novelty to differentiate them from a generic mario-esque game, or they need to be exceptionally good. If they fulfill one or both of those I can enjoy them plenty.
Construction/sandbox games with a focus on interesting interactions over 3d pixel art (or anything really that lets be build intricate contraptions).

I (generally) dont like:

RPG's, particularly JRPG's. Mostly long lengths of unintersting, overly abstract, minimally-skill based gameplay with some sometimes-good-sometimes-bad dialogue. JRPG's in particular basically "Lethargy: The Game". I think there are plenty of RPG's that would be more fun if the gameplay was just stripped entirely and just the story remained.
MMORPG's. Basically an RPG, but with all the parts I dislike stretched out even longer.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 05:31:44 am »

In general sorta-descending order:
Genres that I love:
Turn-based Strategies (Fire Emblem all the way!)
RPG's or JRPG's (if they have a good story, else wise no thanks)
Rougelikes (Generally I like Rouge-likes more than actual Rouge games)
Management/Building games/Sandbox (DF right here, as well as Minecraft)
Puzzle-y games like SpaceChem or Portal
Action-Adventury Legend of Zelda stuff
4X games
Diablo-clones

I've also dipped into both the VN-like and Bullet Hell genres and rather enjoyed them, but personally I like Bullet Hell games more as a test of reflexes and quick thinking than the memorization games most hardcore players play them as, and there are way more bad VN-type games out there than good ones so I'm being cautious there.

Genres that I like but don't love:
Single-player FPS's, ala Metroid Prime or Team Fortress
RTS games, though I like playing the computer more than other people

Games I especially hate:
Any games with Monthly fees
Any games with microtransactions
Any games where your wallet can buy you a large advantage or is basically required to proceed (which with monthly fees and microtransactions takes out practically every MMORPG)
Many flash games
Point-and-click adventures (Probably my least liked genre, period. "Click on random things to see if they do shit is not my idea of fun").

Obviously not a comprehensive list, but it covers the basics.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 05:34:17 am »

Rougelikes (Generally I like Rouge-likes more than actual Rouge games)

Yeah, I got really bored playing Make-up Simulator 9000. Cheek Duster: Advanced was much better. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 06:56:03 am »

RTS (ala warcraft 3 (I'm still playing this game regularly)), TBS (Heroes 3.5, not very often sadly), and RPG (Might and Magic series and Wizardry 8, finished M&M6 half a year ago).
._.
Pages: [1] 2 3