Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is your Game of The Year?  (Read 1375 times)

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
  • Making a big thing this time
    • View Profile
What is your Game of The Year?
« on: November 22, 2014, 08:31:37 pm »

Mine's Shadow of Mordor. Because the gameplay is very fun, constantly cutting uruk heads off never gets boring. And out of most games this year, it innovated the most with the Nemesis system, even if the system itself is a bit simple. The very idea of it is amazing and I would love to see it in a lot of other games. The story was a bit underwhelming, but they obviously wanted you to focus on the uruks. I also liked Wolfenstein: The New Order, because it was the first fps that actually made me care about the characters, and it also had a pretty good story to boot, albeit a little cheesy, it also was just fun to dual wield assault rifles like a total badass :D

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: What is your Game of The Year?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 08:36:33 pm »

I... haven't played any games released this year  :o
Well shit.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 09:18:45 pm »

At this rate, based on hour's played, I'd have to say Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. Though that's more my fanboy opinion than my well-reasoned one. Still, I can't remember the last time I put 80 hours into a game within two weeks of its release.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 09:32:30 pm »

At this current time, 'Yakuza 4' because of timing, prices and this game needing a award for the enjoyment I got from beating a person up with bike then smashing said bike wheel into that person best friend and the people I meet during story being alway being more then just plot and complex to even some of the villains...

ALSO TOWER BATTLE!

Might change it when I play 'Far cry 4' or bunch of other game by the end of the year

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 09:34:03 pm »

At this rate, based on hour's played, I'd have to say Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. Though that's more my fanboy opinion than my well-reasoned one. Still, I can't remember the last time I put 80 hours into a game within two weeks of its release.
I can't wait till I get some more steam money so I can play that! and how is it compared to the original BoI?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 10:19:30 pm »

Right now it's edging towards Wolfenstein: The new order for me. As for one I love FPS games, and two, well.... It's just a great example of the benefits of new and old FPS design mixed into one. The fact that the story is well done enough to enjoy following is just a bonus.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 12:44:45 am »

Singleplayer: I'd have to say the Play Your Music (Audiosurf 2, Beat Hazard, and Sounddodger+) games in my collection, as I expand my collection of music. Followed by inMomentum (Honorable mention goes to NFS: Hot Pursuit and Burnout Paradise). Primarily because I like being a lightning-fast ninja, and the overall aesthetic of the game's also relaxing after most of the stress dealt with during the year. With NFS and Burnout, since I've been downgraded to a moped, this makes up for that lacking speed; plus, I can galavant without consequence, and break some traffic laws while at it too while going at skin-rending speeds.

Multiplayer: Speedrunners. Mayhem that's perfect for playing against my siblings with. Unfortunately, I think I'm getting too good at it to the point the game's about the be forbidden from play because I kinda outclass them (almost an Advanced Level by about 100 more ranked points). Fortunately, I'm still on pretty much equal-level against one of them, even in rank; so I'm still challenged a bit. Don't deny the Chicken-Man.

Classic: Unreal Tournament. Against my custom godlikes on godlike difficulty, much ‼fun‼ is always had. Keeps my FPS skills in check, even though I'm almost always last place against them. Only a few times have I mid-ranked against them (out of 9 players, including myself). Starcon: Ur-Quan Masters is a close second, since I'm continuing it at present, and I forget how good it was.

Of course, I'm a tad biased by having a backlog this year, so I have some catching up to do overall.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 12:59:38 am by Itnetlolor »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 01:11:05 am »

This is going to sound weird, given where I work, but I didn't play a lot of games that came out this year. Can I put in for Rocksmith 2014 even though it was October of last year?

Also: Obligatory DF2014.

Aside from those two, Shadow of Mordor gets it for me. I actually played all the way through the story and damn near maxed a character.

Honorable mention: Watch Dogs, and yes, I'm serious. I didn't come upon any serious bugs or glitches (except that one time I phased through the highway on a motorcycle, which I could not replicate,) it ran consistently well on my PC, and it got me to feel very angry at one of the circumstances in the game, goading me into a roaring rampage of revenge. So, it was successful in making me do the feelings thing, which doesn't happen often. Yeah, the ending of the game kind of sucked and was a completely obvious sequel hook, and the main character is pants-on-head-retarded throughout most of the game, but it was still quite a lot of fun.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 02:52:40 am »

I can't wait till I get some more steam money so I can play that! and how is it compared to the original BoI?

It's the same game, just bigger and better. Somewhat easier to get to the end of the original game, with the extra getting beaten about as often as I used to beat the former end of the game. Lots of fun new items, more broken combos, more Use items with straight up broken effects. Better graphics (mostly). More more more.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 01:02:11 pm »

*Checks his "Finished 2014" list*

Some of my favourites I played this year are:
- Smash Bros
- Assassins Creed 2
- Borderlands the Pre-Sequel
- Dark Souls 2
- Far Cry 3, Blood Dragon.
- Long Live the Queen
- Shadowrun: Dragonfall
- Tower of Guns
- The Walking dead Season 1 & 2
- Thomas was Alone
- Spelunky

Not sure which one I liked best though.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 01:06:24 pm »

Mount and Blade: Warband is still my favorite game. Shadows of Mordor was probably the best I played that came out this year (out of like 2 other games so...) even though the Tolkien's lore was shat upon repeatedly. I certainly didn't like the story but it had good gameplay.
I like sushi.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 01:24:59 pm »

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 11:06:54 am by penguinofhonor »

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 01:26:40 pm »

For me it's a tossup between Age of Wonders 3, Divinity: Original Sin, and Wasteland 2.  Of the 3, I guess Divinity is the most polished and lacking in issues, while in hours played I've spent a lot more time on AoW3 than the other two, but I enjoyed them all enough that I'd not really want to pick a favourite.  I'm just glad games like them are being made again (above zero-budget levels), and doing well enough to hopefully encourage more.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 01:28:20 pm »

Out of all games, Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal is my all-time favorite. It's hard to describe how amazing it is. It's simply perfect.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 01:44:19 pm »

If I made the thread about favorite games ever, mine would be Minecraft, to me nothing gets better than having a lightsaber and portal gun whilst using the tardis, in a suit of daedric armor with a brotherhood of steel helmet on, all of this taking place in the land of middle-earth  ;D
Pages: [1] 2