Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Spatials - colony building and strike team all in one  (Read 3071 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
The Spatials - colony building and strike team all in one
« on: November 22, 2014, 06:15:15 am »

Found this game by chance and enjoying it so far, despite being in alpha founding.

http://thespatials.com/

It's a colony simulator, where you build and trade resources with visitors, but to obtain those resources from planets you first have to clean them with your away team.

Spoiler: my little space hub (click to show/hide)

visitors have their own needs and will look for specific resources, so the economy is a little hard to get going at first, but you can always raise a quick buck fighting so you never really get stalled.

The game it's not yet on steam but you can buy a copy directly from their website
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 04:31:33 am by LoSboccacc »

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
Re: The Spatials - colony building and strike team all in one
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 06:44:32 am »

I personally can never get enough of colony simulation style games so I welcome any new entry in this sub-genre (despite the steady influx of new titles in recent times).

The take on resources hunting and manufacturing seems interesting enough. I wonder if conquered planets can get harassed by pirates or some such. Also, I wonder how complex or at least extensive finished products manufacturing will be. Workshop/kitchen/smelter doesn't sound like much of a choice, but we'll see.

Two things that instantly bothered me (judging by preview video on their homepage) : combat seems a bit of a mess at the moment. Or a click-fest. I got the feeling some sort of active pause is needed there.

Also, the art style in general is just a little too cartoony, goofy for me. But that's just a personal preference.

All in all though, seems interesting enough.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 06:49:56 am »

If you keep the mause down they autoshoot, which reduce a lot the mouse clickfest

You still need to click to move.

What I hated most was the music, and the button to disable it was in a non obvious location (not in setting but on the homepage, on the lower left corner)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 03:08:31 am »

Might want to mention it's not free...

(Why yes, I DO assume that all games are free unless I hear otherwise.  Call me an optimistic cheapskate.)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 03:45:25 am »

I got excited when I saw "download now," only to be brought to payment options.
I feel betrayed.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 04:20:04 am »

To be honest, having a "download now!" that only links to a buy page is really lame. The game looks good, but for the reason said...I won't be buying anything "NOW!"

Too lame. Like a bait and switch. Honestly, I expect to pay for stuff...but small things like that are terrible. I won't be supporting them.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 07:12:07 am »

it looks rather ambitious, reminds me of a certain Doblefine game i would rather have never existed.
is there much to do in the current build? or should i be waiting?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 09:01:25 am »

Wait a minute, you obtain resources from away missions, then sell them to shady people who never return and your primary backup source of money is fighting "pirates"?
No, John. You are the pirates!
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 09:06:33 am »

The game is actually feature complete on iOS, this is a port with extended scope.

With the next version coming out shortly it's worth to wait a little. They have a sort of devlog in form of a public task repository named trello. Current build has most of the construction party fleshed out and most quests stubbed

Spoiler: a rant (click to show/hide)

Edit
You are the pirates

But we are the colorful one  :P

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 07:18:07 pm »

Well, I'm not offended by having to pay for games, I just value them differently.

Can't "impulse download" when I need to pay, right?  And there are enough games where the authors only want our love and not our money, so it is an issue.

LoSboccacc, just add the price to your opening post, and you won't hear from the Cheapskate ChoirTM again.  Probably.  I am quite happy to see that this is an actual game that can be purchased and played, rather than somebody's idea they want to get paid for, so the game really has that in it's favor.  I don't generally do real-time, but maybe I'll look at it when it's on sale. 

Actually, $7.49 isn't a bad price at all.  If I hadn't already bought a game recently, I'd consider buying this.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 07:32:38 pm »

Spoiler: a rant (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Also A Rant I Guess? (click to show/hide)

Edit
You are the pirates

Good guys confirmed.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 05:20:56 pm »

Thank you for sharing this, having fun so far!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 09:18:38 pm »

Edit
You are the pirates

Good guys confirmed.
Everyone thinks they're the good guys, especially horrible monsters.   :P

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 09:21:11 pm »

I gladly pay for games. Its more the false advertising they have going on.

Download now should be buy now. I know its mostly wording, but bad first impressions like that is a rather bad way to do business. I never expect things to be free, but again...its more a bait and switch.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 02:58:39 am »

Contact the author, ask him to change download into buy now -> problem solved. If he responds with snark, then you can write him off as an asshole.
Pages: [1] 2