Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: War Prisoners  (Read 2645 times)

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
War Prisoners
« on: November 21, 2014, 08:54:20 pm »

If you get invaded and you manage to capture some elf or goblin in a cage trap, they should be able to be sent to your jails as war prisoners. And if you get enough in there, a diplomat comes along your way and is there to bargain for their lives. Plus, you should be able to geld them thanks to the devblog.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: War Prisoners
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 08:59:30 pm »

Yeah, feed the elven POWs forgotten beast intestines.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 05:05:32 am »

We can already abuse prisoners, dumping them in cells with dangerous beasts, drowning them or using them for live training. Goblins would be unlikely to really bargain for any of their lot captured. Elves are different, and could swap prisoners for ransom.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 11:57:15 am »

Gobbos wouldn't ransom, other races would work.  Gelding the prisoners would be hilarious.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 07:42:03 pm »

Maybe you can persuade them to change sides?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 07:56:46 pm »

I think forcing them to fight would be interesting.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 08:58:39 pm »

Gobbos wouldn't ransom, other races would work.  Gelding the prisoners would be hilarious.

It would also be a form of torture, which dwarves are VERY against.

Wait.....you don't......or are you talking about each other.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 09:05:32 pm »

Fighting each other.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

jax3639

• Bay Watcher
  • [DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_BARE_HANDS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 11:47:54 pm »

If you get invaded and you manage to capture some elf or goblin in a cage trap, they should be able to be sent to your jails as war prisoners. And if you get enough in there, a diplomat comes along your way and is there to bargain for their lives. Plus, you should be able to geld them thanks to the devblog.
As soon as I read that Toady added gelding (and a quick google search for the meaning) I got a feeling deep in my gut that some very messed up stories were gonna pop up

Then again this is Dwarf Fortress and if you expect anything less then horribly awesome stories soaked in blood and encircled with bands of kitten leather then you are in the wrong place
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 11:53:48 pm by jax3639 »
The bag weighs twice my dwarf right now, containing nothin but guts, vomit, and a dead kobold.

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 12:21:02 am »

D:

Brutal man.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 12:36:34 am »

I dont think we can get actual prisoners until we can get multi racial fortress. Yea, we can capture invaders in cage traps, but they aren't recognize as prisoners by the game.

As far as the suggestion goes. I would bet it happens without ever being an explicit goal.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 11:55:49 am »

Then again this is Dwarf Fortress and if you expect anything less then horribly awesome stories soaked in blood and encircled with bands of kitten leather then you are in the wrong place

Wait....you mean your counts throne ISN'T a jet throne with hematite spikes, with depictions of the god of death and pestilence?

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 12:49:06 pm »

It would also be a form of torture, which dwarves are VERY against.

Wait.....you don't......or are you talking about each other.

Dwarves against torture? It does not seem that way from most of the games I have seen played. I have seen everything from goblins used for live archery practice to roasting them with magma to restraining them in cages while giant cave spiders pelt them with webs. And, of course, the elves entombed forever in stone. Not forgetting the forgotten beast poison experiments, which are something straight out of Unit 731 (if you have never heard of Unit 731, let your ignorance be blissful). Maybe it is just the perversion of players which makes them behave that way. I remember seeing once on the wiki that "humans oppose the torture of animals", which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever if it is based on humans even today, never mind in years gone by.

While, given the acts of widespread sadism common among dwarves, it is unlikely that they would have any qualms about gelding prisoners, doing so, or otherwise mistreating prisoners, should make enemies very unlikely to surrender and more likely to fight to the death and try to escape, for obvious reasons. They will also desert back to their own side more easily if given the chance. When armed guards are present, they will be compliant and work as ordered, but require constant vigilance and may sabotage building projects if not watched closely enough. Knowing how much dwarves like to go on break, this is a recipe for !!fun!!...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 04:59:17 pm by Urist Uristurister »
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 06:03:58 pm »

Don't get player ethics mixed up with dwarf ethics. Dwarves as a race are a damn sight morally better than when we play them.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 05:50:32 am »

Don't get player ethics mixed up with dwarf ethics. Dwarves as a race are a damn sight morally better than when we play them.

So my possession theory is correct. I likely have my whole view of dwarves distorted by the actions of certain players.

Is the love of burning things and elves in magma a passion of dwarves, players, or both?

For old times' sake.
Pages: [1] 2