Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 31

Author Topic: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles Mission Thread - GAME OVER! See first post.  (Read 48853 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

((Well I'm not sure what Toaster's action is.))
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

((PM him and ask?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Any response from Dwarmin?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Dwarmin dropped out, as did cheesecake.

I kind of lost my progress on the last post due to a browser fail.))

Moravia Orbital Colony, Ulysses | 237d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Megacity Time: 8:40

Alpha Lobby
Mobs (+1 Stealth)

'Team, gonna be tricky getting to the docking ring from where we are, but I can kill the lights to help with that.  Everyone not near docking, who wants to meet up with me before lights out?'

There aren't any other obvious paths, which leaves you stumped for a moment. But you receive message over the comms from a voice you almost forgot about. It's that rat you brought along, the psychotic kleptomaniac who you were sure would cause the mission to fail if he wasn't kept under close watch. And as it turns out, he seems to be in a bit of trouble.

"Hey there, can you guys hear me? Toasty, could you gimme a hand? I'm in the airways below you. They're gonna use the vents to circulate sleep gas and I'd rather not be stuck in one, but it's my only hiding spot. I'm three levels down, you'll have to find a way through the maintenance pathways.

You're not sure who he's referring to by "Toasty."

Headquarters, Floor 3
Professional Atmosphere (+1 Intellect)

Duck into that alcove, then, since there's not really another option (I'll think of something to say in the likely event Atlos gets noticed later)

Akatin leaps into cover before you, showing unnatural flexibility inside the pressure suit.

[1/4] You drive into cover, but it was mostly a pointless endeavor. The two humans comment on the noise they heard from your treads rubbing against the metal floor grate, and call you out as they approach.

Person 1: "Hey, who's in there?"
Person 2: "Don't make any sudden moves..."

Akatin freezes, perhaps in terror. Actually, he's putting on a pretty good impression of an empty suit lying against the wall.

Maintenance Shafts
Hidden (+1 Stealth)

Well, the situation seems to have gotten out of hand.

Observe the surroundings for any potential threats, then try to exit the situation.

You run a full diagnostic regression algorithm to decide on your prorities.
Unconscious suspects, potentially guilty of causing station-wide outbreak: Human concept of "justice" insignificant in relation to other variables. No threat.
Infectious biomatrix: Not a danger to mechanized units. No threat.
Injured human, injury caused by accident: Empathy module suppressed during diagnostic. No threat.
Door stuck to leg: Will inhibit movement. Moderate threat.
Station in danger of escalation into Gamma-class disorder: Will inhibit movement. Cowardice module engaged. Supersede all other objectives.

You walk away from all the pending loose ends, seeing as they won't hurt you in the long term. [6/6] You finally remove your leg from the restroom door, but in the process you put so much stress on it that it fragments into several large, sharp pieces, several of which end up harming civilians nearby. As you try to leave, a mob of humans starts following you around, pointing fingers and staring. The injuries you've caused so far include a burned hand, several small cuts from the smaller fragments, and one person who is promptly picked up by EMT's on a hover-stretcher after receiving a large gash to the abdomen. The EMT's too are heading toward the trams to leave the headquarters, and they are coming up from behind rather quickly with the stretcher.

Moravia Lab
High Security (-1 Stealth)

To the Duke. "You may want to recommend to the others in your meeting that they call a few squads of guards in. The outbreak does appear to be escalating."

"Mmm.. I'm vaguely reminded of the initial stage of the KX9 revolt. A number of the Gentek researchers became KX9 29's a little bit before the First Cascade happened and several heavily populated worlds were razed during the rampage. I don't think it was originally intended to raze the worlds. We didn't have any 63's or 62's back then to stabilize the population, so the Cascade synced everyone in the groupmind with the strongest emotion present. Cold Seething Rage from two sources. One was the researchers when they first accessed the groupmind and saw all the unpleasant shared recorded memories of the abuse suffered by some strains of KX9 and other was from several heavily sedated KX9 waking up with blood on their minds from what had happened to them prior to sedation. Funny thing is, most of the linked researchers had literally no idea what was going on actually was happening until they linked to the groupmind, and those that did know didn't grasp the extent. They were just making new species and creatures. Occasional mandates from their superiors as well. Pretty sure they're all still alive. Most of them changed their Genelines to Researchform strains if I recall. Probably just going to do science until they run out of things to science or the universe ends. And even after that, there miiiight be a way to avoid that. KX9 don't have a definite lifespan. It's estimated in the ten or so millennia range, but since nobody's lived that long, we have no idea. Very possibly could be longer, and easy enough to extend. Specially since by that time we'll have gone Singularity at least a few more times. Cuuuuurently at S3? Pretty sure a few Shipminds are S3 and most Researchforms are S1 and one Adminform is S2. Next TactiLogiform strain is planned to be an S1. Although metabolism issues are plentiful in the current S1 formats. S1 brains take a lot of energy." "Nerin. Stop rambling out loud."

"Sorry, he tends to ramble when he gets stressed. Most of his Geneline does that, they normally only remember things based on specific mental cues past a certain span of time. A bred in coping mechanism for what they were originally intended for. I'm a touch worried about the triggers he's getting though from the revolt onstation. A number of the things that happened during the First Cascade were... Unpleasant."

"They have guards here. Quite a few outside the door. All of the execs are in here."

The nobleman refuses further contact for a number of minutes as you simply hang out.

[2] "Crap, they're going to lock down the headquarters. There's an infiltrator inside." You hear murmuring inside the conference room.
[6/2] "My friends, I give you full permission to ride one of my vessel's shuttles out to the desired pickup range. I will contact my crew to arrange a launch for you. Do you have any cargo you need to transfer? Any other friends you have tagging along? Five or so? *cough*"

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Hello? Who is there?"

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Hello? Who is there?"

Person 2: What the hell are you d--
Person 1: Now hold on...

The first man eases around the corner, wielding what appears to be a taser and pointing it around the corner. When he sees your fishtank, he rushes back and lowers the taser.
Then, he calls out to you from around the corner.
Person 1: Are you with SpaceInc?
Person 2: We're performing maintenance on the server farm, it won't take long.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

Nerin pings the team. "They are locking down the headquarters. All units pull back to docking ring to rendezvous with the Challenger. The ship's current owner has given permission to use one of his ships shuttles as a route to the spotter ship. Should any of you be entangled in an issue, do your best to pull out now. Abandon stealth and hiding, the checkpoints are disabled. Just pull out ASAP. Any tagalongs are to depart with us.

To the Duke. "Five or so. Of various sizes, a couple small enough that they will take up minimal space, one has clunky personal life support due to being aquatic. Maybe one or two more, one of my associates was attempting a recruitment drive. Not sure if they picked up anyone. I do have some cargo however."

"Doctors, we will be taking our leave, they are about to lock down the headquarters and we have a ride arranged. Judging by how the situation is going, you may want to start looking for alternative employment. I'd imagine the Spaceinc PR from this incident would be horrid. Perhaps contact the KX9, there is a nonKX9/KX9 joint research project in the works. Researchers would be able to enjoy the post scarcity economic situation the KX9 enjoy, as well as a number of other benefits so long as they're working on something. You may find it of interest. And I can guarantee it pays more and is less prone to armed revolt then SpaceInc. Bit hard to beat post scarcity paygrades. Tata~"

Nerin waves before he and Valrak proceed to head to the docking ring and the ship. Avoiding major hazards via using the cameras,

« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:15:21 pm by Kevak »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Hello? Who is there?"

The first man eases around the corner, wielding what appears to be a taser and pointing it around the corner. When he sees your fishtank, he rushes back and lowers the taser.
"Not exactly... this just seemed like a secure place to hide from the biohazard. Though perhaps evacuation would be a better course. You do know there's a biohazard running rampant here, right?"

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Hello? Who is there?"

"Not exactly... this just seemed like a secure place to hide from the biohazard. Though perhaps evacuation would be a better course. You do know there's a biohazard running rampant here, right?"

The second guy, taser still drawn (and pointed at the glass of your tank, no less), interjects, "You hid in there! You tried to hide from us! Are you lying?"
The other reaches out and pushes the taser downward and says, "Relax, he can't be an infiltrator. That tank's way too bulky."
(1) "What about that guy over there."
"Looks like just a suit."
"How'd it get there then? Did this guy just haul it along wherever, you know, just in case?"
"Or maybe..."
"Surprise, fellas!" Akatin jolts upright.

The second (former) SpaceInc employee instinctively fires his taser. It bounces harmlessly off the pressure suit, although it does leave a slight chip in the paint.
"Whoops, sorry. Just took a little battle damage."

The first one asks, "What is your level of clearance? A civilian wouldn't just run off into a restricted area. I think you're hiding something."
"Tell 'em to scram."

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(Wait, aren't I in a pump station?)

"If this is secure, where are the guards and locked doors? If I was you, I'd be more concerned about getting off this station than about performing a routine duty. I, for one, am highly concerned about it, though I do not know if it's still possible to leave this ring."

To Atakin he says (in Rtalis) "What are you doing?"

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(Wait, aren't I in a pump station?)

"If this is secure, where are the guards and locked doors? If I was you, I'd be more concerned about getting off this station than about performing a routine duty. I, for one, am highly concerned about it, though I do not know if it's still possible to leave this ring."

To Atakin he says (in Rtalis) "What are you doing?"

(You are onboard the headquarters, inside the more-secure-area and right outside the door to the central Communications and Coordination (C&C) server bank)

Akatin screeches back, not sure if you are scolding him or genuinely curious.
"My cover was blown, I was no longer hidden. Besides, they think we're employees, and they're trying to hijack a private vessel. We need to play nice or they'll try to get rid of us so we don't report them. I don't know if their packing weapons besides those tasers. If they're not, though... do you thing we can take them on?"

Clicks and hisses can convey a surprising amount of information in a short amount of time. He finishes before the strangers have anything to say.

Person 2: Well, we're also tryin' to--
The man receives a jab in the ribs from his partner.
Person 1: We all wish to get off as soon as possible. Which is why we need to fix the computers so that we can contact biohazard services. The guards have their hands full right now. As for locked doors... well... there's one right in front of you.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(I meant this and the turn below: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=145894.msg6082662#msg6082662 Don't seem to have left the pump console room)

(Rtalis) "I'm not packing much either, but I think I have something that could disable them. They might have used deadly weapons on us when you surprised them like that."

(English) "We need to get off the HQ, since any chance of our procuring transport lies in the outer section. In fact, we have a lead on a ship. But we need to hurry. I'm sure the authorities are well aware of the outbreak, and if I were you, I'd head the same way."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

'Who you calling Toasty?'
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

'Who you calling Toasty?'

"You, of course! The first time I saw you was in the Ephemeris lounge getting some buttered toast from the counter. I always assumed you liked toast."

(I meant this and the turn below: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=145894.msg6082662#msg6082662 Don't seem to have left the pump console room)

(Rtalis) "I'm not packing much either, but I think I have something that could disable them. They might have used deadly weapons on us when you surprised them like that."

(English) "We need to get off the HQ, since any chance of our procuring transport lies in the outer section. In fact, we have a lead on a ship. But we need to hurry. I'm sure the authorities are well aware of the outbreak, and if I were you, I'd head the same way."

((Oh whoops, that's my bad... I thought you made an action at some point to "try to get out of here" and that entailed heading to the comms center. Uh, let's say you left the pump station momentarily when you spoke about it being "easier to send a message from the escape craft anyway"))

Akatin remains silence, and awaits your response in English before commenting.

Person 1: A ship that's leaving? From here? How'd you find out?
Person 2: There's a private shuttle, yes, but it belongs to the CEO. Nobody lays a hand on it.
"Is the CEO in a position to protest that right now?"
Person 1: Well... not really. Especially since the C&C requires maintenance.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"We've made contact with a friend who's here with some sort of Duke, who may be willing to let us board his freighter. I'm sorry, but we really need to get going. Perhaps we could bring you along, but it sounds as if you already have plans, in which case, best of luck." Get out of there, bringing Akatin.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 31