Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31

Author Topic: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles Mission Thread - GAME OVER! See first post.  (Read 48867 times)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Stuck in a door... certainly one of the oddest ways to be in danger. And what do they make these doors out of anyway?

Fire at the blob thing before it gets to the captives. Try to get unstuck... again.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: 24
« Reply #376 on: March 05, 2015, 09:37:29 pm »

((No update, sorry :C))
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 02:04:13 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Wait - that looks like the same turn as the last one.

If he can, Atlos informs the guild of the outbreak on the station, and that they might be able to bring their forces in on pretext of helping deal with it.

"Believe me, an assimilating biomass is the last thing I expected."
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

((I could have sworn I posted. Will write again later.))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait a minute...

Ignore that post. I wrote up a post but it didn't get saved. I have an unfinished version in a file...

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Oh. Derp~

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Moravia Orbital Colony, Ulysses | 237d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Megacity Time: 8:32

Alpha Lobby
Mobs (+1 Stealth)

'Good news; locked out the admin trying to undo what I did.  No telling when he'll call for backup, though.'

[5] No backup arrives, fortunately for you. The AI keeps bugging you, however. You identify the computer from which it is operating from on the network--its privilege is set to that of a lowly janitor, unable to do much but send messages and alert people. Perhaps you should look into silencing it.

You find that you can control the doors as well, discovering a map of the station along with the IP addresses of all the door controllers. Many doors on the outer ring are X'ed out, indicating that they are down for maintenance, perhaps, but those in the HQ are fair game, as are those in the docking bays and maintenance hallways scattered across the outer section.

Headquarters, Floor 3
Professional Atmosphere (+1 Intellect)

If he can, Atlos informs the guild of the outbreak on the station, and that they might be able to bring their forces in on pretext of helping deal with it.

"Believe me, an assimilating biomass is the last thing I expected."

You cannot contact the Guild from your current position. You need a window.

Fortunately, there was a spot on the headquarters where there was in-fact a window. The restaurant! It is suspended inside a glass hemisphere, giving a silent, panoramic view of von Hapsburg and Ulysses as they continue their eternal dance through the heavens. While the vista appears, at first, eerily still, it is known to anyone accquainted with physics that the planet is actually diving at hypersonic speeds through the interplanetary, its magnetosphere disrupting the solar wind like jagged rocks breaking apart an otherwise tranquil river flow.

This restaurant is not directly nearby, but rather lies connected to the lobby, the one infested with bouncing blobs everywhere. The secure region of the headquarters has no such luxuries, as windows are a security threat. A watchful eye, perhaps using a telescope several astronomical distance units away, could not only observe what was happening through a window as if he were over the victim's shoulder, but could also shine a laser through the glass and pick up vibrations in the air. This technique was used to expose the dictator Aleph Marque during the Victorian uprising on the planet of the same name.

The secure region does have a communications suite, however. With the sparse security, you may be able to sneak inside and feed a message into the computer. With no patrols to catch you snooping, all you need to worry about is finding a key to the comms center, which consists of a server farm and several terminals at which messages can be pushed toward major bodies in the system--and sent omnidirectionally as well. The server farm hosts massive computational power, necessary to filter out the noise from literally thousands of incoming messages. Some possible avenues would be raiding offices, ambushing guards, picking the lock, or finding an alternate entrance.

Spoiler: Victorian Uprising (click to show/hide)

Maintenance Shafts
Hidden (+1 Stealth)

Stuck in a door... certainly one of the oddest ways to be in danger. And what do they make these doors out of anyway?

Fire at the blob thing before it gets to the captives. Try to get unstuck... again.

[3] You spend a few microseconds pondering which portions of your arsenal to use on the intruding biomatrix. On one hand, the laser would create a violent shock front as its pulses vaporize layer after layer of matter. The poor thing wouldn't know what hit it. In the other hand, you may not want to fragment the creature, as its components could each individually possess infectious capacity. A burn from your jetpack on full-throttle would spray the target with hot plasma for a couple of instants--nonetheless enough to render a human incapacitated. [Coin toss] You decide to try the latter.

As you fire your jets, your optical sensors register, for the short moments before you are no longer able to, the surface of the biomatrix transforming from a sickly teal to a matte brown, cracking along the surface like the skin of a human when subjected to harmful chemicals.
[1/3] This is, of course, only for the short moment before the door you are attached to comes off its hinges, sending you flying a short distance outward, landing at the feet of a man in a black jacket whose hand appears to be covered in scores of blisters.

Moravia Lab
High Security (-1 Stealth)

"Interesting. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the station in a higher orbit then to save on fuel? Or am I missing something?

"You'd think that, but the goons up at HQ would point out that keeping the station inside Ulysses' gravity well means incoming travelers will have to buy more fuel from us. So yes, it's more expensive to keep the station up, but we also make more fuel sales. It's a win for us. Keeping all our infrastructure low also means that our shipping rockets don't have to be as big. Remember that deltaV is a log function."

Nerin attempts to locate and ping the nobleman of the Conquerer. "Hello. Me and a group of associates require a route offstation. You likely noticed it's falling apart, we would rather not be stuck here during that. We have a ship nearby that can retrieve us after launch, however we cannot signal it through the station walls, a bit of an oversight on our part. We can make it mutually beneficial should you be willing to allow us to use your ship as a departure vessel. We will not tax your lifesupport for long as we will be picked up by a seperate ship shortly after launch."

[5] Opening a private comms channel with the shipmaster, you elicit a response, but not from the nobleman himself. Instead, it's his assistant.
"I believe you are looking for Monseur Corbin, yes? He is not with us right now, although he made it clear he intends to leave the station in short order. While I am unfit to make judgments for his Excellence, I can inform you that he is a kind-hearted man and will gladly help persons in need."

The servant then recites Duke Corbin's local (and temporary) contact address (dcorbinmaj@temp@followr), as well as a series of addresses to the crew of his ship, in case you wish to organize some cargo movement or something. He also notes that the cargo loading facilities were no longer manned by the station's workers, and half of Corbin's crew generously volunteered to operate the cranes and chutes in their absence.

Corbin himself, when contacted, mentions that he is currently in a conference inside the headquarters.
"Well met! I am afraid I cannot set aside much time to speak with you yet, although the conference is dragging on much longer than I'd like. I'll be with you in a few minutes, but first I must convince these buffoons that time is money. Pardon the soapbox, but the way they are handling the situation is reckless and ignorant. They should give the rebels what they want, rather than spread their resources like a mad tyrant scrambling to keep his kingdom together. I've sustained losses much greater than a vow to import a greater variety of meats and luxuries."

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Akatin, I believe it is time to arrange extraction. I don't think we can be of much more help to the people of this station, but we may be able to aid in the primary objective of this venture."

Atlos looks around for possible alternate entrances: the path of least resistance.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Akatin, I believe it is time to arrange extraction. I don't think we can be of much more help to the people of this station, but we may be able to aid in the primary objective of this venture."

Atlos looks around for possible alternate entrances: the path of least resistance.

[5] What better way to find pathways than to look at the emergency evacuation diagrams scattered across the walls! You notice that there are a series of large pipes leading into the comm bank chamber from outside. They curiously disappear from the schematic as they extend further into the station, but you know what they are--water pipes, used for cooling an utterly supercomputer.

Looking around, you find an entrance to a pump station, and find that the pump is offline. Several meter-wide tubes lead into and out of it, and the water pressure differential makes it clear which pipes are the outputs, although you find that there is in-fact a label--scribbled out in industrial marker.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is this water separate from the rest (uncontaminated)?

"Oh... and I may need that suit back."

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Time is also your life Sir Corbin. There appears to be a mass biomatrix outbreak in and around the HQ module of the station. I'm not entirely familiar with baseline, unaugmented biologicals, however based on the numerous deaths and infections I've detected via the station cameras and newsfeeds, you are unlikely to survive should it grow out of hand. By this point. I'm highly recommending bailing from the station. A rebellion mixed with a massive disease outbreak is a recipe for disaster. 'Ol Murfy has certainly taken his toll today. Everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong. I also recommend getting yourself and your crew suited in hazmat suits rated for at least a class three infection. Although the outbreak is a class four infectious agent, it does not appear to have the ability to breach airtight suits."

Nerin then pings the team. "Currently in the process of arranging transport. Notify if you will likely require assistance reaching it when it is available or require assistance reaching the docking ring. Likely ship is the RTS Conquerer. Negotiating with current controller now."

"Ah. It's one of those capitalism things. I am so glad my offshoot doesn't use a capitalistic form of economy. Minimal to no waste results in considerable excess."

"Erm. Doctor Chance, there appears to be a mass outbreak of biomatrix in the Headquarters module. As well as an armed rebellion. Biomatrix outbreak likely originated from contaminated water based off the datafeeds I can see. I have a feeling it would be safer to just evac the station and flood it with acid instead of splitting guards between containing outbreak and suppressing rebellion. Although I do have to wonder how the population got to the point that it would rebel. Can't imagine this kind of thing happening in the Collective. It would just trigger a few minor damage cascades before everyone calmed their crap and sorted it out with sharing thoughts. And it's a stretch to even contemplate it escalating to cascade level. Disputes are usually solved by dumping mindsets and thoughts one another and sorting out what was the miscommunication. This behavior is oddly fascinating to watch.. Undirected rage and violence.."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Better thank a certain bird-man/player character :P))

Is this water separate from the rest (uncontaminated)?

"Oh... and I may need that suit back."

[3] There doesn't seem to be a visual feed, although there is a screen at a monitor station with diagnostic values and properties of the flow such as viscosity and the concentration of contaminants--although the problem is that the pump needs to be running.

Since the pressure is low inside the output, you could simply chop the pipe open and check. You may want to disable the pump as well.

You hear a squeal through the hull of the headquarters, although a lack of noticeable shaking suggests that it was due to a rocket launch, or perhaps something in the air vents.

"Time is also your life Sir Corbin. There appears to be a mass biomatrix outbreak in and around the HQ module of the station. I'm not entirely familiar with baseline, unaugmented biologicals, however based on the numerous deaths and infections I've detected via the station cameras and newsfeeds, you are unlikely to survive should it grow out of hand. By this point. I'm highly recommending bailing from the station. A rebellion mixed with a massive disease outbreak is a recipe for disaster. 'Ol Murfy has certainly taken his toll today. Everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong. I also recommend getting yourself and your crew suited in hazmat suits rated for at least a class three infection. Although the outbreak is a class four infectious agent, it does not appear to have the ability to breach airtight suits."

"Indeed, this conference was held to discuss the postponement of current business contracts and the possibility of mutually beneficial solutions. I'm afraid these people are anything but gentlemen. They want nothing but to pad their wallets while--"

You hear a low-pitched squeal interrupt the radio feed.

"That was strange. Anyway, it is my turn to speak. I will be with you later."

"Erm. Doctor Chance, there appears to be a mass outbreak of biomatrix in the Headquarters module. As well as an armed rebellion. Biomatrix outbreak likely originated from contaminated water based off the datafeeds I can see. I have a feeling it would be safer to just evac the station and flood it with acid instead of splitting guards between containing outbreak and suppressing rebellion. Although I do have to wonder how the population got to the point that it would rebel. Can't imagine this kind of thing happening in the Collective. It would just trigger a few minor damage cascades before everyone calmed their crap and sorted it out with sharing thoughts. And it's a stretch to even contemplate it escalating to cascade level. Disputes are usually solved by dumping mindsets and thoughts one another and sorting out what was the miscommunication. This behavior is oddly fascinating to watch.. Undirected rage and violence.."

"Well... I'm in no position to handle this. My authority is over the lab and its contents. While technically the biomatrix is a content of the labs, its self-replication sort of erodes the claim that I'm still responsible for an outbreak that is mostly attributable to bad timing by the maintenance crews. I need to head to my office, anyhow.

Also, I don't think flooding the station with acid is an option. The whole structure's mostly air and vacuum. It might even float in Ulysses' lower atmosphere, before the pressure gets too great. We'd have to ship the water in from afar..."

Dr. Bradley comments on the ordeal as Chance leaves.

"The rebellion started a few hours ago. I'm not sure how. I've seen that bald demagogue in the news for the past weeks but it seems something came this cycle that just set things off... sociology is not my specialty. But I'll tell you..."
He speaks in a low voice, so as to not be overheard by anyone not directly interested in the conversation. And nobody appears to be.
"...it's not just capitalism, but location. And the three F's, fear, fame, and honor. They are and have always been the root causes of any sort of power struggle. Greed is a feeble substitute, corporate execs already have all the money they need for flash-cloned organs, biological immortality, android companions, private stations... no, the amount of money being thrown around can distract a man until the clouds dry up. What they really want is fame, to have millions look up to them as benefactors. It'll happen regardless of capitalism. And Ulysses is such a valuable spot that the money doesn't matter, only its relative usefulness. It's all about having something that's better than what everyone else has. Having a fancy ship or a private station doesn't accomplish that, but owning a freaking planet does.
Waste means nothing when humanity will only ever harness a fraction of the power in the galaxy.

But I'm just ranting at this point. I suggest you find a way off the station soon if you wish to leave, as there's always a lockdown during blooming events. We can't be held responsible for any miscalculations due to atmospheric friction. We've had complications in the past."

Spoiler: Economics of Ulysses (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:39:46 am by _DivideByZero_ »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

'Extraction, got it.  I found controls for a lot of the doors as well, especially on the HQ ring.  I can lock them down or pop them all open.  Should I go for it?'

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Bump?))

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Sorry. Been moving to Oregon forcthe past few days. Haven't had time. Will post later today.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31