Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31

Author Topic: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles Mission Thread - GAME OVER! See first post.  (Read 48967 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles Mission Thread - Roll 11
« Reply #135 on: December 26, 2014, 04:26:57 am »

((Oh I see, you're trying to peek through people's skin to see if they have skeletons or not, while using the internet to fact-check yourself. That's an action, so I'll do that later in the next roll (or when I have time). My apologies!

Also, bump.))

"It doesn't need drivers. It isn't running anything in the augments. Just transmitting pure data, which I am capable of deciphering and assembling into useful snippets of data both consciously and subconsciously due to a combination of how my brain works, training, and implants. The signal it outputs is the same regardless of what it's connecting to. Augments weren't searching for the proper protocol output. It varies depending on place in humanspace. Adding local standard protocols to roster to avoid future failures to connect. If you're wondering what the computer is for, it's extra processing power. Nothing more. Look closely and you might see a coherent thought for a second~ Used to fullblown Serverprocesser Aids though. This thing is crap compared to what a Shipmind can bring to bear. Retry connection AI." Nerin adds local frequencies and protocols to his implant uplink roster.

"The AI isn't intelligent, you gotta remember that. Anyhow, it won't be able to 'connect' to your implants until you specify what that means. It doesn't exactly think like a human."
"Wireless connection detected. Begin streaming neural net simulation."
"Wha--"

The AI downloads a map of its simulated brain structure into your laptop's flash memory. While you aren't able to interpret the raw data directly, it's organized as an executable which, based on a quick decompilation, will assemble the data into the native data structures the computer uses--and your brain, taking augments into account. What this eventually results in is a quick and intuitive visualization of a basic AI brain, which can be programmed to stimulate identical brain regions of your own. In other words, you can experience what the AI is trying to say, although it won't be exact.

It might be a bit of a security breach if you do this.

((I'm assuming Nerin is able to 'see' memory, as in, understand a memory map in some intuitive way. Correct me if I am wrong.))
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 26, 2014, 05:54:50 am »

((His eyes are only part of his sensor suite and are meant for regular use. On Denworlds, a large number of signs use colors outside of the normal visual spectrum. Most KX9 have multispectrum implants or can flat out see in multispectrum biologically, this pretty much results in things being made with whatever colors or 'colors' are onhand. Or even just labeled in the digital realm and bypassing the physical entirely. Although implants are more common then biological systems since they can be switched off easier, bioaugs that can be swapped between states are being worked on. He's using a dedicated sensor suite located throughout his upper thorax to See everything in a fairly large radius around him, said radius is a large section of the station and scanning with those implants uses a large amount of both focus and energy as well as raises internal temp rapidly. Nerin will start panting to vent heat within a minute or two of starting a scan reflexively.))

((Effectively. Not as well as a Mindcore Geneline with visualization training would be able to, but more then enough for a basic or even advanced AI. 49's specifically end up with a crapton of raw data floating around in their head due to how their brains work. Some events or stimuli can trigger memories in the form of raw data, which is why a number of the older ones have skills that they forget how to use until they suddenly remember they have them from some form of stimuli and why a number of them have occasional emotional overloads from stimuli triggering not so pleasant memories from Prerevolt times, it's also why most of the fourth generation and onwards 49ers have opted to get secondary processing units implanted so they can bypass the need for an external computer or datapad to remind themselves of such. Nerin being first (arguably second) generation is a liiil old fashioned and lacks a secondary processor implant. Although he'll probably get one next time he's at a Denworld or a Warren with the implant available due to the convenience of being able to recall skills and memories on command rather then needing to set up a secondary processor to do so. Technically Nerin has a number of codes for computer programs stored in his mind as raw data, he can't run them in his mind since he needs a secondary processor to do that, but he does have the codes, among other things.))

"I don't think like a human either." Nerin has the computer continue displaying random packets of data on the display that would be indecipherable to anyone who isn't mentally hooked up to the computer as he begins running the simulation to see what the AI is trying to show him.

"That's good. Never fun to go on a trip and lose a shirt. You'd be surprised how often lost shirts happen. One time, we were exploring an old abandoned mining installation on an astroid in the Ventis system, one of the machines randomly activated, Nerin shut it off fairly fast, but the machine thought we were Rockhounds, and seconds before he could shut it off, the machine slammed one of its mining implements through my side to try harvesting what it thought were minerals. Ruined the shirt and took a few hours to repair internal damages. Really hard to get blood out of a shirt."

Spoiler: Rockhounds: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 02:42:07 pm by Kevak »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 26, 2014, 09:19:43 pm »

Deuce looked at the information a moment.  "Well... we won't have enough power to run that radar at all times.  So once, maybe twice a day, we turn down the heat and dim the gro-lamp to scan for nearby ships.  Won't be long enough to frost everyone, but finding help that much sooner is good.  Mr. Kirk here should be left to tend to the food needs; that'll keep him busy and away from the others so he's not getting grouchy and causing trouble.  The fellow who breathes water's a challenge; if he doesn't have his own suit, he'll need to stay inside one of the spacesuits.  If supplies get low, draw straws to see who gets shot out an escape capsule to increase the odds of  finding help."

He looked at it again, then nodded.  "Anything else?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

Action: Go check out this Aeonia Zeal person...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Purrhaps pm the people who are missing?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((I will contact HEN. Hugo is probably waiting for him, I would guess. I'll contact him if he doesn't post when HEN posts.))

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

WARDEN recalls the employees he had spied upon before, and speaks to Atlos over the comms. "The individuals we previously noticed mentioned an elevator to the Space Inc headquarters. If I follow them, I could find out where it is, which would provide the group with an entrance."

Sneak away from the crowd and tail the Space Inc. employees while staying hidden.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 28, 2014, 08:04:31 pm »

Moravia Orbital Colony, Ulysses | 237d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Deuce looked at the information a moment.  "Well... we won't have enough power to run that radar at all times.  So once, maybe twice a day, we turn down the heat and dim the gro-lamp to scan for nearby ships.  Won't be long enough to frost everyone, but finding help that much sooner is good.  Mr. Kirk here should be left to tend to the food needs; that'll keep him busy and away from the others so he's not getting grouchy and causing trouble.  The fellow who breathes water's a challenge; if he doesn't have his own suit, he'll need to stay inside one of the spacesuits.  If supplies get low, draw straws to see who gets shot out an escape capsule to increase the odds of  finding help."

He looked at it again, then nodded.  "Anything else?"

[3] "I see. You know, most of the teenagers we get are into this utilitarian nonsense where they 'sacrifice one for the good of many' or something like that. I've seen it happen, and it's failed every time. Drawing straws is the good ol' way to do it, since its fair to everyone, and your idea of using one of the escape pods is nifty. I'll give you the offer. Where do you want to start, Mr...?"

You have the option of working with life support and oxygenation, atmosphere control and heating, water and sanitation, or electronics and machinery.

Moravia Lobby Alpha, Floor 3
Heated Combat! (All initiative rolls default to a [1])

Megacity Time: 6:50

Action: Go check out this Aeonia Zeal person...

You take the elevator/tram/thingies down to the ground level from which you came. Here you find the fruit of your labor: riots in the streets, demonstrating and stopping trams and taxis. And all without a trace of your name being mentioned. All according to plan.

You flip our your spacephone and start browsing local records for information on the Aeonia lady. Travelling around the galaxy sprinkling gold on promising enterprises... that sounds like quite the entrepreneurial spirit! Of course, it is quite a shame this investment of hers won't happen to return.

As previously learned, Aeonia is most likely on the Georgium Sidis. There is a full-scale rebellion on George's moons, and both sides are looking for all the funding you can get. Aeonia is quite open in her support of the monarchists, citing the economic successes of many functional monarchies across the sector, while denouncing the harm that republican rebellions have left over the centuries on many worlds. Of course, her position is a controversial one, not popular in republican establishments such as this one.

Aeonia's investments mostly consist of donations and shares into agencies that specialize in various forms of augmentation and electronic integration. Augments have never really taken off as a species-wide thing, and for various reasons; augments can only be taken during adulthood, as children will soon outgrow theirs and they will have to be replaced. Augments require constant, surgically applied upgrades and replacements, which many cannot afford and even fewer want to suffer through. The majority of humans in existence, thus far, are genuine humans, albeit with several common genetic modifications that have integrated themselves into the gene pool.
The corporations Zeal funds don't seek to change that. Instead, they design high-end instruments for rich folk and military contractors.

WARDEN recalls the employees he had spied upon before, and speaks to Atlos over the comms. "The individuals we previously noticed mentioned an elevator to the Space Inc headquarters. If I follow them, I could find out where it is, which would provide the group with an entrance."

Sneak away from the crowd and tail the Space Inc. employees while staying hidden.

[6/5] "T-minus... now."

You use your jets to fly among the ceiling piping and light fixtures, taking residence near an air filter. The device is a "Scramtech Emergency Filter," apparently not in use.

It appears that the police have noticed your ascent, [3] but your black color scheme and boxy nature blends in perfectly with the surroundings. You crawl your way over the strangers and monitor them for additional dialogue.

Stranger: Hm, was that a police robot?
Employee 1: Doesn't look like it.
Employee 2: I'm not sure what to make of it. A robodog, perhaps?
Stranger: Oh God...
Employee 1: Hmm?
Stranger: They've evolved...
Employee 1: Quick, get to the elevator!

It seems they are running. You won't be able to remain camouflaged while chasing after them. However, on the ceiling you locate a hatch to the upper crawlspace of the mall. You'll have to break your way through, since it is locked.

Moravia Lab
High Security (-1 Stealth)

Quote from: Kevak
"I don't think like a human either." Nerin has the computer continue displaying random packets of data on the display that would be indecipherable to anyone who isn't mentally hooked up to the computer as he begins running the simulation to see what the AI is trying to show him.

You sense a number of three-dimensional maps of a blob masquerading to be a human. The data indicates that the blob's internals are stratified into layers, the outer layers serving as camouflage while the middle layers produce motion and the inner sections buzz with infra-red emissions and heat. That must be where the blob digests its food. There is a small data upload as you browse the simulation.

You look around, and find that there are no anomalous heat signatures, although the blob's aforementioned capability to mimic human heat signatures is noted. You aren't able to see into people's skin and skeletal structures without a source of microwaves, though. Simply opening a microwave oven in the room should do the trick, though.

Quote from: Kevak
"That's good. Never fun to go on a trip and lose a shirt. You'd be surprised how often lost shirts happen. One time, we were exploring an old abandoned mining installation on an astroid in the Ventis system, one of the machines randomly activated, Nerin shut it off fairly fast, but the machine thought we were Rockhounds, and seconds before he could shut it off, the machine slammed one of its mining implements through my side to try harvesting what it thought were minerals. Ruined the shirt and took a few hours to repair internal damages. Really hard to get blood out of a shirt."

"I am sorry for your loss."
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 09:29:56 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Is the sensing bit from running the simulation? Or from Nerin's sensors searching for blobs?))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((From the simulation, I will edit that last action in xD))

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Leeet me know when you make the edit~

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Whoops, I got carried away with CKII :D

What are the capabilities of your sensors again? I don't think your body would be capable of producing enough microwaves to use those for sensing, though you can definitely see them. Ditto for radio waves. How much energy does it take to produce x-rays?))
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 09:33:35 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Well, technically there are internal batteries that are charged over time for active scans of the more energetic spectrums and for some of the more power hungry implants like the hacking suite. Nerin's sensor suite specifically could likely scan a significant portion of the station (if not all) in low to mid energy wavelengths and a smaller portion in high energy such as gamma and xray. He can easily see already existing light in all spectrums to make up for the lower output of gamma/xray/UV, and his suite is designed to incorporate data taken from ambient light passing through things))

((Radio is actually a fairly low energy form of light, high energy are lower on the spectrum. Gamma is by far the highest energy. Radio is super low energy. Microwave just can be absorbed by a lot of stuff and it shifts into infrared when doing so, which is why it's so dangerous.))

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Nerin wants to know if we can open a microwave oven in the room so he has more spectrums to scan on. He would rather not drain his internal batteries producing microwaves. He knows what to look for and currently there aren't any bright enough skin permeating sources of light on the station. He says a standard microwave should work for fixing that. Juuuust stand away from it while it's on."

"Also, tis just a shirt."

Nerin takes a look at the small data upload while he scans.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

((Is he asking my "name" again?  If not, ignore the first line.))

Deuce smiled.  "Dooby Greene, with an E on the end.  Gotta be right for the ID, right?"

He rubbed his chin.  Hmm... where could he cause the most havok?  Probably not enough water around to flood the station, and not enough... waste to cause a real poopocalypse.  Life support and oxygen is probably less damage and more death; not what the bosses wanted.  It might be guarded more, but better stick with... 

"I think I can best serve the station in electronics and machinery.  Got to make sure that's working so everything else can run right.  I can start right now."

Send a message back to the Guild- quitting that job and taking up residence here to pursue my lifelong dream of middle management
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31