Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31

Author Topic: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles Mission Thread - GAME OVER! See first post.  (Read 48994 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles Mission Thread - Roll 11
« Reply #120 on: December 24, 2014, 03:21:03 pm »

"Iii've met them before. As has my Paired. Probably should let them know I'm to help them. Are you familiar with how the KX9 mindlink works? I'm a Combatform, few extra implants and some training for retrieval of targets, although for the most part I'm a standard 51, my Paired is a Logiform, technically a Tactilogiform due to specific training and implants he has. He's better suited for location of targets and tracking then I, he is technically built for that, among other things. I recommend having my Paired help."

"Also I respectfully disagree on the mind not being a computer bit. Some of the more advanced KX9 Adminforms are effectively wetware supercomputers. And some of the Shipminds are wetware."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 24, 2014, 04:25:06 pm »

"Only if you take the term computer loosely, but it would be trivial to call it a computer then. A computer is by definition programmable, and it's a little hard to program something that doesn't want to be programmed.

Anyhow, here they are."

The two scientists come closer. One of them has a brown spot on one side of her face. The uninjured one is the first to talk.

"Oh, them."

After some reluctance, the other one informs you.

"So... our rogue employee managed to open the doors to the Specimen's containment unit while the wireless door controllers were being replaced. That means we don't have data as to which doors he opened in the lab. That includes cabinets and vaults--we can lock those down, too, but once again all of the wireless controllers were in the process of being replaced. However, we believe he left the cafeteria about two hours ago at 4:54, then proceeded to head to the aeroponic studies directly. We didn't suspect anything at the time, so we couldn't detain him. After leaving aeroponics, he went to the lab and released the specimen by fooling the CO2 sensor into thinking the environment outside was a permissible one--carbon dioxide damps the Specimen's nervous system and slows its metabolism. We believe he went to Aeroponics specifically to get a tank of liquid CO2.

Anyway, our containment unit was set to automatically perform transfers after the environment is pressurized. The guy managed to rig up a bad such that it would slowly fill with CO2, which put it on a timer. Afterward, he headed back to the cafeteria. We can't track him from there due to the amount of foot traffic."
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 24, 2014, 04:44:19 pm »

Nerin sifts through the data Valrak relays. "What spectrums of camera have recordings? Even a snapshot of the target in a few other spectrums should be be enough to locate the target. My Paired's sensors are sufficient to scan large portions of the station provided he has enough energy. Nerin does have to question why all the controllers were replaced simultaneously though, I would think staggering the replacements would be safer. He also asks if there's any way of checking out the CO2 cans. Also cameras. Are there cameras? If you know when he or she left the cafeteria enroute to atmos and who accessed atmos, should lower the potentials to a small few. And if you have the one identified already, Nerin and I can just scan until we locate him or her."

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 24, 2014, 04:47:55 pm »

((I'm not sure if I remember what Atlos was supposed to be doing, but I think it was something like this.))

It had been wise to make an exit earlier, and there were probably more pressing things to attend to, but Atlos simply could not pass up the opportunity to observe alien civil unrest firsthand.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 24, 2014, 04:49:24 pm »

Organics are always protesting about one thing or another. I can't even fathom how they tolerate it.

Listen in on the protesting humans.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 24, 2014, 04:52:18 pm »

((Nerin and Valrak IC are considerably more interested in learning things then they are at breaking the station, Scoutcore is supposed to find new things, and the Collective comes before the Guild. They'll definitely break stuff when the time comes though~ Just learning is a higher priority~))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll 11
« Reply #126 on: December 24, 2014, 10:08:05 pm »

((Still waiting on Deuce's action. Also, Merry Christmas!))

Moravia Orbital Colony, Ulysses | 237d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Moravia Lobby Alpha, Floor 3
Heated Combat! (All initiative rolls default to a [1])

Megacity Time: 6:50

((I'm not sure if I remember what Atlos was supposed to be doing, but I think it was something like this.))

It had been wise to make an exit earlier, and there were probably more pressing things to attend to, but Atlos simply could not pass up the opportunity to observe alien civil unrest firsthand.

[5] It appears to be a food riot. As it stands, you are not entirely sure what humans like to eat, although you are familiar with the biology, which is rather similar among most oxygen-breathers (in other words, most races, human or alien). The occasional ammonia-based organism will usually have some bizarre anatomy or something, but for the most part simple sugars are pretty universally edible, although the more complex carbohydrates tend to vary.

Anyhow, you've done your research, and it turns out that most human stations use genetically modified strains of Spirulina algae. HUman corporations tend to market their own brands and flavors of the stuff, but they generally resemble the natural stuff although they typically have some means of reducing the amount of nucleic acid contained, and they also come in lots of different flavors including bubble gum, cotton candy, and MSG.

SpaceInc only has this one megacity, and most corporations like to think they can charge SpaceInc extra for being a large corporation. SpaceInc, therefore, is unable to acquire a license at economical rates, so they use a homebrew of Spirulina and another bacteria that eats away the nucleic acid. This stuff is the basis for most of the cheaply available dishes here, with imported foods being highly valued. SpaceInc subsidizes luxury foods, but notably leaves out medium-priced staple foods such as fish and pasta, and thus merchants usually take those goods elsewhere. Most of the local population is unable to afford luxury food, so for the most part they eat Spirulina. Which most humans get bored of after a while it seems.

The riot came from the Alpha Lobby. in the distance you see crowds of protestors, some recently joining the protests, others being handed signs by seasoned protestors who've just retrieved their backlog that they've stored for this day. Someone, it seems, has managed to get across to the public that they are being manipulated. You wonder who this individual is.

In the mall, the protestors mostly walk down the center aisles, clustering around restaurants and food stores in particular.
After several minutes of protest, Riot officers appear, although no looting occurs just yet. The Riot officers are unable to justify use of force in order to end the protest.

While the mob is mostly anonymous and composed of working-class citizens, one human male appears to be making himself known publically. He calls himself the Aggressor, and claims to have a history of fighting for the rights of the disadvantaged on this station. You are not entirely sure why humans are so concerned with such things as to travel around, but it seems that his methods are working, and citizens routinely rally behind his presence. The man was jailed multiple times for speaking out, or so he claims, and has become widely known among the public.

Organics are always protesting about one thing or another. I can't even fathom how they tolerate it.

Listen in on the protesting humans.

There is not much to listen to. All you hear is canned phrases along the lines of "You can't arrest us all" and "We won't support this mess" and other stuff. Profanities are hurled both ways between the populace and Security, the latter of which have their numbers increasing by the minute. Eventually, they bring out the riot robots.

[6/1] One robot, in particular, catches your eye. A sleek, muscular spider-frame wrapped in layers of powerful artificial muscle and impenetrable graphene plate-wrap. You skitter in excitement as you watch to see whether or not this machine will be brought to bear on the rioters.

The robot starts moving into the crowd. Its legs are padded with wrestling mats ductaped on in order to minimize risk of injury. The machine is armed with quite a dazzling arsenal of crowd-dispersion tools, ranging from microwave beams and sonic emitters to streams of glittering confetti and expanding goo blobs. One of the blobs lands on your leg, and expands to form a rigid, but porous ball attached to the surface. Supposedly, a human can still breath through one thanks to the porosity. It does not attach well to metal or glass, so you chip it off and continue watching.

The line of Riot officers assembles into a phalanx, and begins to try and shove the protestors out of the mall, slowly and rather ineffectively.

Moravia Lab
High Security (-1 Stealth)

Nerin sifts through the data Valrak relays. "What spectrums of camera have recordings? Even a snapshot of the target in a few other spectrums should be be enough to locate the target. My Paired's sensors are sufficient to scan large portions of the station provided he has enough energy. Nerin does have to question why all the controllers were replaced simultaneously though, I would think staggering the replacements would be safer. He also asks if there's any way of checking out the CO2 cans. Also cameras. Are there cameras? If you know when he or she left the cafeteria enroute to atmos and who accessed atmos, should lower the potentials to a small few. And if you have the one identified already, Nerin and I can just scan until we locate him or her."

"We do stagger the door controllers, non-sensitive areas first. However, the Specimen is a shapeshifter. By the time we realized the breach it already got out into the unsecured areas like the cafeteria and we couldn't lock those down. By then our perpetrator was long-gone and the slime was on its way out. Kind of sucks to work in a lab where all our maintenance workers are angsty teenagers."
"The business people think it's a good idea to create jobs whenever possible. We think it's ridiculous, but they're our only funding, so we have to deal with it."
"We caught the Specimen, though, with the milliwave scanner at the gate of the store. The AI we use for sensitive body scans is excellent at finding these sorts of things and it's easily programmed, so that's a plus."
"What about the cameras?"
"Yeah... about that..." the scientist seems embarrassed.

[3] "We checked the cameras after we discovered the breach. They were all erased, and disabled. We're not sure if it's the same person, but we've assembled a list of suspects based on questionings of our staff and doctors in the cafeteria. We've no way to find out who it is, though."

A male doctor walks in, the chest of his lab coat stained with grease.
"The Specimen lost some mass"
"Security gave it quite a beating. Ask this guy.", the doctor who spoke to Valrak answers, pointing at Valrak.
"That's not just it. The Specimen is missing half of its mass."
"It was the same size, though!"
"That's the other thing. It's density was halved as well. It split off, somewhere, and it could be anywhere among us. We've observed this behavior before."
"Crap, that's what I was worried about. Well at least it's got the brains not to infect one of our personnel. If there is a serious outbreak we can vent the atmosphere from the lab and store. Gonna have to get out of here though."
"It will be difficult to find. That thing very much scares me with how well it can mimic a human's heat signature."
"You sure it didn't just lose mass because it was doing that? Burning carbs for heat? Just to throw us off?"
"We have ruled that out, it could not have metabolized that much in such a short time."
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 10:14:26 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 24, 2014, 10:19:48 pm »

Deuce looked off into the middle distance.  "Well, I'd be lying if I said I was an excellent motivator, but I can certainly motivate, and find jumping in and lending a hand is one of the best ways to do so.  I'd say I certainly got your attention, did I not?  And yes, I can put together a team for you as well."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 24, 2014, 11:00:14 pm »

Nerin heads into the room with Valrak at Valrak's prompting. "If that thing split off, I'm not risking Nerin being alone. His regen and immunity implants aren't rated for Class Three bioweapons."

"Erased data still exists in the system in some form. May I have permission and the codes required to interface and attempt data retrieval?"

"And can I have permission to work with the AI to relay my sensor suite data to it? Also food since running them at higher settings tends to drain a lot of energy?"

"The blob can't burn carbs for heat, but it could potentially burn carbs using implants found in bodies of prey. Get us checked again just in case, specially Nerin. Also which employees use implants?"

"To rule out potential infected employees."

"Also original recovery team. One was incapacitated. Seems dazed. Checking is recommended. As well as all lab employees."

"Locking down shop and lab recommended. Risk of spread to adjacent modules increases with each passing second."

"Systematically clear all personal and shoppers. Isolate infected. Bathe module innards in acid. Flush vents with acid. Spacing Class Three Infectious Particles not recommended. Avoid venting module. Particles surviving reentry would spell doom for planetary body below."

"Purge Protocol B62 recommended."

"Unlikely to be acceptable to standard humans. They lack Civcore Savepoint Server Implants and local servers. Also lack of genetic or clone backup body. Purgecore cleansing assets not available. Proposition deemed unfeasibl and likely to be denied by local authorities. Also lack of local Savepoint Servers make Protocol B62 proposition autodeny."

"Can we speak with the AI?"
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 11:02:08 pm by Kevak »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 25, 2014, 12:10:44 am »

Deuce looked off into the middle distance.  "Well, I'd be lying if I said I was an excellent motivator, but I can certainly motivate, and find jumping in and lending a hand is one of the best ways to do so.  I'd say I certainly got your attention, did I not?  And yes, I can put together a team for you as well."

"Alright..."

He gets out a set of cards with buttons lining one long edge. He presses one, and some text fades into view on the card. Some sort of visual aid with built-in memory, it seems. He lays them out on a desk.

"Let's see what you know about keeping a station together. Let's say you have the following individuals..."
Each card is a brief resume. Well, not a resume, just a description of a crew member.

Spoiler: The Cards (click to show/hide)

"...only a few. For simplicity's sake. Now let's say they are stranded on this station until help arrives."

He hands you a schematic of a station.

Spoiler: The Station (click to show/hide)

"Tell me how you would deal with this. Don't tell me the specifics, just tell me if you can recognize a problem and how you would deal with it."

Well it seems that the total power supply is 90 kW, and to keep everything running would require... 50+16+30+4+20 = 120 kW of power. Disabling the radar leaves it at 10 over, and the food supply is going to be sparse, so this seems to be a question of how you would deal with the irritable crewman and the fish alien that needs water to breath. And without the radar, you may end up with a station full of starving, cranky crewmen long before someone decides to investigate the station. Such is the unfortunate reality of a place like space, where everyone's lives depend on expensive technology to keep them alive.

"Can we speak with the AI?"

Some of the doctors in the room are taken aback by what Valrak mentioned near the end.

"Uhh, I'm not sure what planet you guys are from, but it's pretty well-established in the literature that clones are separate entities."
"Cynth, these people come from a very different society than ours. Please keep your mouth shut."
"So what then? Are we supposed to let them suggest killing off a bunch of people because they think uploads are a valid means of self-preservation?"
"No, they have zero security clearance. Don't give them permission to do anything that goes against protocol."
"Got it."
The yet-unnamed doctor turns to Nerin and Valrak.
"This AI's not very intelligent. It's a piece of software we use in lieu of a human looking at the scanner feeds, for privacy reasons. It's not equipped for a regular conversation, so be prepared if it doesn't understand what you ask it. It holds memories before it is reset every week."

She whips out a tablet from her coat pocket and logs in to some kind of app. Then, she holds the device up. The app displays a text log and a series of icons representing whether or not the AI is listening. You hear a voice from the speaker.

"Logged in. Awaiting instructions."
"Elevate to level two security."
"Voice cleared. Elevate to level two security?"
"Proceed."
"Permissions granted. Awaiting instructions."
"Listen to these people."

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 25, 2014, 01:18:56 am »

"First, someone take a tissue sample from me and test for infection." While someone is doing that. Nerin addresses the AI. "You identified a shapechanger biomatrix recently. What caused you to notice? Biosignatures or other? Which ones? If you have difficulty relaying data via words, relay directly to implants."

"Don't quiet the curious. Learning is the only way anything ever gets done. To answer your question Cynth. Clones are only seperate entities if they have shaped and active brains. If their brains are inactive and unformed, such as in a fetal state, they are not designated seperate entities. The Savepoint System uses clones with undeveloped brains, unborn infants grown from stored cells. Patterns of saved minds are saturated over clone brain as it develops via a series of implants and occasional meditation sessions in emitter rooms. There's no original mind in the clone to kill from the getgo. If the clone is incompatable with the mindpattern at the start of the process, usually evidenced by genetic deviation from base pattern or inability for pattern to root in fetal brain, the clone is treated as its own entity and parents are found to raise it. A new clone will be grown for the saved mindpattern. The process will repeat until a compatable clone is found. Memories return as clone ages and brain develops. At a certain age, varied heavily based on Geneline, clone is fully saturated and no additional sessions are required. Of course, the resulting mindpattern will always have deviances from the original personality. The main reason for Savepoint is memories. Keeps Ghosts out of our groupmind."

"As for the other bit. Nerin tends to forget humans don't use a Savepoint system. Protocol B62 effectively is 'flood ship or station with acid until biomatrix is dead.' He had a bad experience with a biomatrix outbreak about fifty some years ago and is fairly hasty with that kind of recommendation. Technically he doesn't remember the event consciously, 49's don't remember events outside of a three Terran Year timescale, they remember raw data and the conscious doesn't interpret that well. Subconscious does and it left him fairly traumatized. Sorta what happenes when your amputated arm tries to kill you."

Spoiler: KX9 Ghostpatterns: (click to show/hide)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 26, 2014, 12:29:57 am »

"What did I tell you? Different society with different problems." the doctor says to Cynthia.
She then turns to Nerin.
"I will tell you that the slime does not exhibit signs of intelligence unless it is part of a contiguous chunk about the size of a thumb, or larger. No sampling is needed, but if you are worried you can simply pat yourself down and check for squishy spots imitating your flesh."

The AI responds sharply and seemingly without interest in Nerin's words.
"Memory query. Is the user referring to Case 409?"
The doctor chimes in. "Yes, that's the one."
A few lines of code run down the tablet's screen, matrix style. One wonders if it is only a visual effect.
"Affirmative. Case 409 presented mismatch between internal skeletal structure for observed biology HUMAN and observed skeletal structure. Alarm Setting was ALWAYS_TRIGGER. Alarm was triggered."

There is a slight pause before the screen signals the AI is ready to listen.
"Wireless implants not recognized. Direct communication remains disabled."

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 26, 2014, 01:11:38 am »

"Which wireless protocol are you using AI?"

Nerin begins scanning on full power for humanoids or other biological formats without a normal skeletal structure that matches with local Datanet skeletal blueprints for the related species. He also gets out his laptop and loads a data sifting program onto it. Should one of the scientists be examining the laptop, it lacks a keyboard or a trackpad and Nerin isn't even looking at the screen. It would seem to be operating on its own, various windows and pictures and bits of data are flashing on the screen before vanishing. When in reality, it's directly linked to Nerin's implants and he's using it as a secondary datastorage and processing system. Nerin retrieves a sandwich from his backpack and starts nomming.

"Would it be plausible to get a replacement hoodie? I'm quite able to pay if necessary. Also Nerin's scanning."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 26, 2014, 03:00:41 am »

"Which wireless protocol are you using AI?"

"Using 2377 standard protocol.

"It's not likely to be the wireless protocol, it just doesn't have drivers for your augments."

Nerin begins scanning on full power for humanoids or other biological formats without a normal skeletal structure that matches with local Datanet skeletal blueprints for the related species. He also gets out his laptop and loads a data sifting program onto it. Should one of the scientists be examining the laptop, it lacks a keyboard or a trackpad and Nerin isn't even looking at the screen. It would seem to be operating on its own, various windows and pictures and bits of data are flashing on the screen before vanishing. When in reality, it's directly linked to Nerin's implants and he's using it as a secondary datastorage and processing system. Nerin retrieves a sandwich from his backpack and starts nomming.

"The Specimen doesn't have a skeleton. And we don't host our confidential data on the internet either."

"Would it be plausible to get a replacement hoodie? I'm quite able to pay if necessary. Also Nerin's scanning."

[5] "That should be easy to sort out with the execs. Might take a while, though."

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 03:11:46 am by _DivideByZero_ »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 26, 2014, 03:30:42 am »

((The bolded bit was an action. He's scanning for abnormal skeletal structure via his sensor implants. A lack of a skeletal structure is an abnormal skeletal structure~ Also he isn't searching the internet for anything qualified as confidential. Standard skeletal maps of local species are generally common knowledge~ He isn't looking for the Speciman's skeleton. He's looking for deviations from the normal skeletal structure of humans and aliens in the nearby modules. Unless for whatever reason, SpaceInc doesn't want civvies knowing what their own skeletons look like. Which would be weird. Course he can still scan for deviations from humans, KX9, and a number of other species due to using the computer as a datadump of subconscious raw data. 49's can't normally access raw data without a secondary processor. 49's also tend to have a lot of raw data floating around in their minds.))

"It doesn't need drivers. It isn't running anything in the augments. Just transmitting pure data, which I am capable of deciphering and assembling into useful snippets of data both consciously and subconsciously due to a combination of how my brain works, training, and implants. The signal it outputs is the same regardless of what it's connecting to. Augments weren't searching for the proper protocol output. It varies depending on place in humanspace. Adding local standard protocols to roster to avoid future failures to connect. If you're wondering what the computer is for, it's extra processing power. Nothing more. Look closely and you might see a coherent thought for a second~ Used to fullblown Serverprocesser Aids though. This thing is crap compared to what a Shipmind can bring to bear. Retry connection AI." Nerin adds local frequencies and protocols to his implant uplink roster.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31