Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Self-Imposed Challenges  (Read 7767 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Self-Imposed Challenges
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2014, 05:30:51 am »

Deus Ex (the original):

I finished the game with a no bullets playthrough, in which I knocked out most enemies with the baton, or the crossbow's tranq dart. I think I used the prod in one place in the entire game (VersaLife, where the MiBs were standing with their backs to the walls). I allowed using explosives on the bots (and only the bots), and carried an assault rifle specifically for the explosive grenade secondary ammo (it's smaller than a GEP gun). It definitely wasn't non-lethal, though: At one point I used a dart to headshot an MJ12 trooper from ~20 feet away so he wouldn't set off an alarm, and once I had the dragon's tooth sword, I used that to defend a certain someone when a horde of troops came for him (and me). I seem to recall being told to run, and pulling out my sword instead.
If that's the rescue i think you're talking about, hiding in the closet was the optimal strategy I believe. Story-critical NPCs aren't killable. The mission entirely goes one way or the other based on which exit you use from the hotel. So you hide and let him take out all the baddies then stroll out the front.
Nah, not that one. You don't have the dragon's tooth sword yet at the point you're referring to (and yeah, I noticed that hiding in the closest worked remarkably well there too... after many playthroughs).

The one I was referring to was:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2014, 11:11:31 am »

Advance Wars 2 S-Rank playthrough is going well.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2014, 12:33:27 pm »

World of Warcraft: The Blackrock Depths Assassination Run

Back in in post-Burning Crusade, Pre-Wrath of the Lich King WoW, I liked to take my 70 Rogue to the old 60 dungeons, and solo my way through them. Despite being OP, dungeon mobs at 60 could flatten you if you pulled enough of them, and bosses would still kill a simple Rogue with no spells or broken special abilities to keep them going. Almost managed to solo the whole thing at one point, sneaking between large spawns of enemies, finding ways around spawns that I couldn't sneak past. Probably some of the most fun I had in WoW while playing alone.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2014, 12:55:30 pm »

I have been playing (way too much) far cry 4 and I feel like a "Projectile Only" challenge would be pretty cool.  Basically only using the bow/crossbow/harpoon the entire game.

Personally I have been having fun trying to use the harpoon gun.  Its so hilarious impractical, but when you do hit a guy they go FLYING.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2014, 01:08:40 pm »

Halo: Combat Evolved.

Passed on legendary difficulty using nothing but Assault Rifle(the original one that needs nearly a full 60-round magazine to kill even a Flood victim), grenades and vehicles(also no exploits or driving vehicles where they "shouldnt" be driven). The most difficult part of the entire game is in the 2nd level, where the player needs to "defend" human survivors as the Covenant drops reinforcements to both sides. Must have taken me good 4 hours to pass that 10 min part.  ::) I think I ran out of both ammo and grenades a couple of times and had to resort to using other weapons briefly, but I guess it still counts.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2014, 01:42:51 pm »

My self imposed challenge is:

Playing a game for around4~8 hours and never finishing it before starting to play another game.

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2014, 03:39:01 pm »

Passed on legendary difficulty using nothing but Assault Rifle(the original one that needs nearly a full 60-round magazine to kill even a Flood victim), grenades and vehicles(also no exploits or driving vehicles where they "shouldnt" be driven). The most difficult part of the entire game is in the 2nd level, where the player needs to "defend" human survivors as the Covenant drops reinforcements to both sides. Must have taken me good 4 hours to pass that 10 min part.  ::) I think I ran out of both ammo and grenades a couple of times and had to resort to using other weapons briefly, but I guess it still counts.

I did play the 1st (and 2nd) halo a lot, both solo and coop. I must say that you could do both with melee and grenades alone maybe not in part in the second on a moving platform vs snipers.
A real challenge is grenadeless IMHO.
Still I had some fun in coop since you coulnd't save and my friend's parents were VERY strict on game-time. That must've been my 1st real speedrun ever.

Edit:  A fun challenge, not from me, but a Korean Starcraft pro-player beating up a Diamond Kr (very good) player, but using chop-sticks to control the keyboard. Hilarious.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 03:54:55 pm by varsovie »

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2014, 03:57:45 pm »

I did play the 1st (and 2nd) halo a lot, both solo and coop. I must say that you could do both with melee and grenades alone maybe not in part in the second on a moving platform vs snipers.
A real challenge is grenadeless IMHO.
Still I had some fun in coop since you coulnd't save and my friend's parents were VERY strict on game-time. That must've been my 1st real speedrun ever.

True, grenades are very powerful in the Halo 1. I've tried a long way without them but there are some parts where there are just too many enemies and no chance to avoid getting hit so that first grenade throw or two are more or less vital. In the 2nd to last level (The Captain) where Master Sergeant meets about half a company's worth of black-uniform Covenant SF troops(or something) while escaping the cruiser The Truth and Reconciliation theres no chance of winning without grenades and there are no rocket launchers available. Even their Grunts are very dangerous and kill the player in less than 3 seconds if theres no hard cover(their aim is perfect and they have very good reflexes, plus they throw nades of their own).

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2014, 12:57:45 am »

I like trying to break stealth games when it seems like they really want me to get seen and start playing it like an action game. I remember once getting almost to the very end of Second Sight without a single person knowing I existed; I had to do a lot of possession to move guards into awkward places just long enough to run by. Unfortunately, near the end you're forced to fight some psychic soldiers that can see you when invisible and unlock a door when they die.
Telekinesis in that game was so much fun, I decided to stop using firearms and other psychic powers during a few levels and smash bad guys into each other.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2014, 11:21:08 pm »

One handed Pyro ][ (pyro II/pyro 2) run on World Terrorism, no lvl1 backdoor, standard controls. The controls are simple, UDLR/enter/lshift/space/tab/x(?), but it's absurdly random for a game, so it took me a very long time to do it. Didn't 100% it, but managed to unlock Secret Agent on the run (300,000+ points), so I was actually playing, not just wick-lengthening. Damn that was a weird SIC.

It took so many runs I'm kind of embarrassed that I did it.

Linkys for obscurity of game. It's awesome and addictive, if slightly worryingly so. If you DosBox it, turn screen fading off. It's a command line option (-f?).

www.mobygames.com/game/dos/pyro-ii

www.hotud.org/component/content/article?id=20550
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:45:40 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2014, 11:57:11 pm »

Ps. If there was ever a basically addictive game that is dying for a mobile remake, it's Pyro 2. Basic "console emulator" controls, 5 buttons, make your fortune.

It might not be politically correct in today's world, but between GTA et all, I think it'd be fine. ASCII graphics and all.
It's a game. Have fun.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2014, 11:58:42 pm »

If anything, the "controversial" element would make it sell better.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2014, 03:18:50 am »

I usually play SWAT 4 as pacifist. Only tasers, stun grenades, the pepper ball gun, and lots of intimidating shouts. It's easier than most of the challenges on here I guess, but lots of fun. Rules are simple really, if anyone - swat, suspect, or civilian - gets wounded, the mission fails.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2014, 09:15:26 am »

Tried a no-death run of New Vegas. Killed by a young Cazador at level 10. On my next play I died at level 15 and gave up on the idea though.

Also have tried no-death runs with Misery (STALKER CoP).
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2014, 11:48:28 am »

I usually play SWAT 4 as pacifist. Only tasers, stun grenades, the pepper ball gun, and lots of intimidating shouts. It's easier than most of the challenges on here I guess, but lots of fun. Rules are simple really, if anyone - swat, suspect, or civilian - gets wounded, the mission fails.
Playing SWAT 4 on Professional, that's the only way to win and progress to the next level. You have to do everything perfect. If you do everything else exactly the way you're supposed to you can afford to let two of your squaddies die (which is inevitable) if you haven't been wounded.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5