Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Self-Imposed Challenges  (Read 7764 times)

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Self-Imposed Challenges
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2014, 12:17:28 am »

I actually tried to be sneaky in an Assassin's Creed game, carefully utilizing the environment, gadgets, henchmen and so on, rather than combo-ing tens of guards in a matter of seconds which is the easier and the faster method. I also tried to limit the number of people I kill and took out the target only if I could.

I also try to limit my savescumming in most games nowadays. I used to quicksave and quickload like crazy in Elder Scrolls games. I pressed the quicksave button like 5 times in a minute. There were times I quickloaded after killing a boss just because I thought I used up too many items for that encounter. Now if I make a mistake, I try to stick with it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 12:19:46 am by Leatra »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2014, 12:26:30 am »

Just came up with one.

Quake
Hack a shambler (large lightning yeti) to death with an axe every encounter you have against them (no quad-damage). More props if you do this in Hard or Nightmare Mode where they come at you all the time since E1M3 and onwards (except the M1s in other episodes). Have fun especially doing this in Ziggurat Vertigo (low-gravity, where you make yourself a clay pidgeon for these things if you're not careful).

Did I forget to mention sometimes a second one comes after the first gets killed?

EDIT:
Go Axedwarf vs swordsman against all knights (regular and heavy). Fight them like a man. No shotty.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 01:24:16 pm by Itnetlolor »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2014, 12:28:35 am »

In AC2 I always try to perform plot assassinations in roundabout ways. I've killed them through guard counters alone, through shoving them off of tall buildings, through poison, and in one instance involving a certain Pope I broke the game by shooting him instead of using the intended aerial assassination.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2014, 02:42:30 am »

I'm kinda a babby at this.  In Hotline Miami I went fists only with none of the fisty masks (Tony, I think?) or any of the masks that help with executions.  I think I managed the first set of missions (sans the boss guy - I'm pretty sure he was immune to not-bullets).  I think I got further after that, but I don't know how much more I managed.

Sometimes I play as infantry in Warband singleplayer also.  As in, no horse.  I also tend to play with full damage for my side, which sucks most of the time.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2014, 02:51:45 am »

I've tried playing Nuzlocke some. Honestly didn't find it very cool. If you don't restrict pokemon centers it doesn't actually make it harder, it just makes it more grindy. And if you do restrict them it becomes really hard. In a way that I didn't find fun at least.
Tiny bit late on this, but IMO Nuzlocke runs are way more fun on an emulator than on an actual system, if only because the ability to speed the game up to 10x speed makes you able to do the required amount of grinding in a sensible amount of time. Being able to get through a battle every 10 seconds instead of a battle every minute is a huge difference in the fun levels.

And personally I prefer to do:
1) First pokemon only regardless of duplicates + any shinies encountered
2) No daycare or trades, but the free egg and given/bought pokemon from NPC's are fine
3) White/Black out is game over, even if you have backups in the box
4) Needing an HM pokemon and not having one is a pseudo game over, unless you enjoy grinding until you find and catch a shiny that can learn it
5) Legendaries are allowed, but in most cases by the time you could catch one without throwing away half your team you don't need them anyways
5) Switch style battles because the extra advantage lets you cut your grinding time by a third, even with the emulator speed up I still have some limits. :P

Sadly my last Emerald Nuzlocke run ended when I ran into Brawly with only pokemon he was super effective against, but this current run I'm already up to the point of needing to Surf around. (And the shiny makuhita and poochyena that I ran into and caught have certainly helped! :) )
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2014, 02:53:19 am »

I think I'd be fine with playing a Pokémon nuzlocke at the intended speed just because I find the game pointlessly simple and easy normally.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2014, 03:02:57 am »

I think I'd be fine with playing a Pokémon nuzlocke at the intended speed just because I find the game pointlessly simple and easy normally.
Feel free, I'd just personally rather spend a couple of hours to do a third of a run rather than spending it all grinding to beat the first gym, but if that's what you enjoy then go for it. (And of course if you are planning on doing it on recent games you don't exactly have a choice there :P). The time thing is more of just a way to actually get to the challenging battles of the game instead of burning myself out on grinding levels before I ever go up against any real battles.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2014, 03:23:17 am »

Feel free, I'd just personally rather spend a couple of hours to do a third of a run rather than spending it all grinding to beat the first gym, but if that's what you enjoy then go for it. (And of course if you are planning on doing it on recent games you don't exactly have a choice there :P). The time thing is more of just a way to actually get to the challenging battles of the game instead of burning myself out on grinding levels before I ever go up against any real battles.
No no I have nothing against speeding things up, I do that and use save states all the time when I'm playing on the emulator. The convenience is really nice. I'm still a good sport about it and I only save when I'm allowed to most of the time, but I've no qualms about dropping a save right before a room in case something unexpected happens, say a surprise boss if I'm playing an RPG.

My point was that playing pokémon the normal way at normal speed is so boring I'd never do it, but that nuzlocke makes things interesting enough that I wouldn't even mind playing it at the intended speed.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2014, 03:35:48 am »

Ah ok, my mistake then.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2014, 03:47:44 am »

A no-shirt, punching (fists and fist weps) only run of DS1. Most enemies were surprisingly easy due to parrying, but oh god the Four Kings.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2014, 08:16:27 am »

Funnily enough, I did play on a sped up emulator. The speed is nice, but it doesn't really change the underlying issue with a 'free center use' nuzlocke game. Grinding just makes the game worse, no matter how you speed it up, and nothing makes it better since any tension and such is pretty much non existent. There's less tension in a free center use nuzlocke game then there is in just a normal game, in my opinion at least honestly.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 08:21:31 am by Criptfeind »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2014, 09:42:42 am »

In AC2 I always try to perform plot assassinations in roundabout ways. I've killed them through guard counters alone, through shoving them off of tall buildings, through poison, and in one instance involving a certain Pope I broke the game by shooting him instead of using the intended aerial assassination.
After unlocking the blowpipe in AC3/4 I just kept using the Bezerker Dart on my target, didn't even need to enter the zone to kill them, kinda ruined it now that I think back...

I actually tried to be sneaky in an Assassin's Creed game, carefully utilizing the environment, gadgets, henchmen and so on, rather than combo-ing tens of guards in a matter of seconds which is the easier and the faster method. I also tried to limit the number of people I kill and took out the target only if I could.

I was thinking about this for Unity, but I swear the AI awareness has been overblown to the max, I can't even WALK past a guard outside the area of conflict and across the road without him drawing his weapon and coming at my throat. I wasn't even going to go through that doorway...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2014, 02:47:37 am »

I like trying to break stealth games when it seems like they really want me to get seen and start playing it like an action game. I remember once getting almost to the very end of Second Sight without a single person knowing I existed; I had to do a lot of possession to move guards into awkward places just long enough to run by. Unfortunately, near the end you're forced to fight some psychic soldiers that can see you when invisible and unlock a door when they die.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2014, 03:04:44 am »

Deus Ex (the original):

I finished the game with a no bullets playthrough, in which I knocked out most enemies with the baton, or the crossbow's tranq dart. I think I used the prod in one place in the entire game (VersaLife, where the MiBs were standing with their backs to the walls). I allowed using explosives on the bots (and only the bots), and carried an assault rifle specifically for the explosive grenade secondary ammo (it's smaller than a GEP gun). It definitely wasn't non-lethal, though: At one point I used a dart to headshot an MJ12 trooper from ~20 feet away so he wouldn't set off an alarm, and once I had the dragon's tooth sword, I used that to defend a certain someone when a horde of troops came for him (and me). I seem to recall being told to run, and pulling out my sword instead.
If that's the rescue i think you're talking about, hiding in the closet was the optimal strategy I believe. Story-critical NPCs aren't killable. The mission entirely goes one way or the other based on which exit you use from the hotel. So you hide and let him take out all the baddies then stroll out the front.

For Deus Ex, I once released Gunther and had him kill everyone on level 1 by cleverly blocking his way / herding him (this took some time, no wish to repeat). I mean he literally killed everyone on the level, he's invincible and has infinite ammo. So that's my contribution for a self-imposed challenge. I would like to do a totally non-lethal completion of the game, I started once but stopped playing somewhere around the Paris catacombs. There's just one character you can't avoid killing in the entire game, though, because you need to take a key from them to open the door to escape.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 03:09:08 am by Reelya »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2014, 03:08:05 am »

I once beat most of the goldeneye campaign on the N64 using nothing but the karate chop, on secret agent difficulty (except of course the mission specific tracker bugs and all that you sometimes have to chuck on things). It was amazing how many dudes you can just strafe walk by and ignore, and some of their shooting animations make it really easy to get behind them. There were a couple missions where it seemed impossible though.

I also did a 100% non-lethal run of the original Deus Ex, which took quite a while to get right. Plastic baton OP. But yeah, the temptation is definitely there for some of the more annoying points to just shoot some asshole in the head and move on.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5