Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Self-Imposed Challenges  (Read 7770 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Self-Imposed Challenges
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 07:49:35 pm »

Deus Ex (the original):

I finished the game with a no bullets playthrough, in which I knocked out most enemies with the baton, or the crossbow's tranq dart. I think I used the prod in one place in the entire game (VersaLife, where the MiBs were standing with their backs to the walls). I allowed using explosives on the bots (and only the bots), and carried an assault rifle specifically for the explosive grenade secondary ammo (it's smaller than a GEP gun). It definitely wasn't non-lethal, though: At one point I used a dart to headshot an MJ12 trooper from ~20 feet away so he wouldn't set off an alarm, and once I had the dragon's tooth sword, I used that to defend a certain someone when a horde of troops came for him (and me). I seem to recall being told to run, and pulling out my sword instead.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 08:01:02 pm »

A challenge I've thought about a few times but never did was the X-Com: Apocalypse Renegade Challenge. See, in Apocalpyse if you fuck up the Government enough that they go hostile to you, you stop getting monthly payments but the game actually keeps going. The way to survive would be by the old staple of X-Com: churning out advanced weaponry and selling to the black market. An even harder version would be to make as many factions hostile to X-Com as possible.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2014, 08:46:56 pm »

But as for PC stuff, I've got one for Hitman: Blood Money.
oh my god i remember having soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many of those.

kill everyone on the map using only silent melee weapons with no bodies found - aka impossible

Oh, sure, there's plenty. I just mentioned the one I'm doing :3

Doing a pacifist run (relatively, it's a game called HITMAN) on the steamer with the zombies trick on is fun. Dodging all day erry day.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2014, 09:00:25 pm »

X-Com - Hawaii single base run. Managed to get surprisingly far with this, up to my second alien base assault before it collapsed.
Xanmyral and I did the Super Antarctica Challenge side by side.

Actually I found the Four Kings to be relatively easy. Pyromancy really helps for stacking on damage, and you can usually heal through the damage of one King when you get in close. You just need to make sure you kill one before the next one can start attacking you.
I did as little grinding as possible both times, maybe that had something to do with it.

I did a run of FEAR and its expansions where I never used the slow-mo feature and I never picked up the max health boosters, all on the hardest difficulty. I was a god among men by my own tact and talent alone.
I have a habit of not using the slow-mo in FEAR.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2014, 09:48:55 pm »

This is a cool thread, lots of interesting ideas!

Here are a few of those I've done in the past.

Half-life - Crowbar only.
Similarly for HL2 and the episodes crowbar only except where you are absolutely required to use another weapon.
Sounds intriguing.  I rarely used ammo on headcrabs, zombies, or vortigaunts.  Marines are tricky but usually can be lured around a corner.  The rather open outdoor areas sound ridiculous though, also certain parts of On A Rail.  I imagine Xen consists of a lot of running and dodging thanks to the overlords.
But I DO know that the crowbar can deal the final blow against Nihilanth, heh.  You kinda glitch through his body which is trippy.  Pretty sure the crystals have to be destroyed though, which probably requires a gun.

An interesting "challenge" was the excellent Counter-Life mod.  The Half Life 1 campaign, except with Counterstrike weapons.  Enemies grant money on death, all map pickups are cash bundles.  You have to buy everything from health terminals.  It has the kill-fast-die-fast vibe of Counterstrike, particularly against marines.  Forces tactical play and cover (or excessive sniper rifle use, of course).  I loved getting knife-kills on marines, IE ambushing them.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/counter-life

I don't understand how HL2 can be completed with just the crowbar though.  In particular there's that one part where you have to defend a terminal during the revolt while Alyx hacks it.  There were just so many enemies, and I'm pretty sure they destroy the objective if you aren't fast.  I should look up that gravity gun LP someone did...

Deus Ex - Non lethal completion, prod and tranq-dart takedowns only. Managed to get a fair way through a no weapons/items run at one point(reached versa-life) but lost the save during a computer migration.
I think I managed this, mostly used the stun baton rather than the prod (and all the tranq darts I could get).  It took a long time and lots of reloading, mostly due to the MJ12 troopers.  They have this small baton-vulnerable area on their lower backs, it's weird and not marked.

Pretty sure it's possible to complete the game with absolutely no kills, though I don't remember how you avoid killing Navarra.  May be a glitch.  Gunther you can just run past which I find hilarious, that game sure was open-ended in many ways.

It-He loves to break games.  He knocked the terrorist leader unconscious then carried him through several levels.  He also managed to wipe out the entire hotel ambush through pre-placed LAMs and explosive crates.  I highly recommend his screenshot wrong-plays of Deus Ex, Thief, System Shock 1, and every Ultima
http://www.it-he.org/deus.htm

Skyrim - No merchant run. Only able to use what you can loot/steal. This includes spell-books, you have to find them as loot. Variants of this in the other Elder Scrolls and Fallout 3/NV games, but Skyrim is the only one I've actually completed the main quest and a good portion of the side-quests/major storylines.
This sounds like such a relief, and not that hard.  The only things I buy are crafting materials anyway.  And leveling smithing past like 40 is a waste, since you can max armor protection with fortify smithing potions and leather.  As for spell tomes, magic is kinda weak compared to the almighty stealth archer.

Fallout - New Vegas - Varmint rifle only. That rifle you are given for target practice at the beginning of the game? Your only weapon you are permitted to fire. Can carry other weapons to repair with but not for use. Have fun with deathclaws.
Is the varmint rifle even good enough to hurt a deathclaw *at all*?  I really resent the damage threshold system.  I guess this challenge would involve avoiding deathclaws and running from everything else.

Fallout 3 - Similarly to the above, the BB gun you get during the intro is your only permitted weapon. Spend a lot of time running between merchants trying to find ammo. Excludes points where you lose access to your equipment such as during operation Anchorage.
But...  Even if you beeline the main quest you'll be facing enemies with power armor.  Do you just run past?  And going on sidequests or clearing vaults is just ridiculous, there's so little BB gun ammo and the damage is pitiful.

X-Com - no plasma weapons/alien weapons, no armour above personal, no psionics. Actually managed to complete this one after many attempts with the alien brain shot down with a pistol.
X-Com - Hawaii single base run. Managed to get surprisingly far with this, up to my second alien base assault before it collapsed.
If this allows laser weapons, not all that hard.  But I suspect you mean no laser weapons.  Interesting challenge, congrats on the execution.
That single base run sounds hard or impossible, yeah.

Bloodbowl - Orc, all lineman team. Managed to make it through to win the cup, but so many deaths of rookie linemen. Attempted this with a halfling team once. Much squishing.
Haven't tried this game yet, sounds fun though.

A challenge I've thought about a few times but never did was the X-Com: Apocalypse Renegade Challenge. See, in Apocalpyse if you fuck up the Government enough that they go hostile to you, you stop getting monthly payments but the game actually keeps going. The way to survive would be by the old staple of X-Com: churning out advanced weaponry and selling to the black market. An even harder version would be to make as many factions hostile to X-Com as possible.

This doesn't seem so bad (even though this game introduces diminishing price on things you sell a lot) but I only got to the introduction of energy shields before I had to put my playthrough on hold.  Most of my money was definitely coming from manufacturing and selling equipment though.  And I don't think the government has anything to harass your craft with (unlike Megapol or the gangs).

Hotline Miami
Milo the Drill: You can only kill enemies with the drill. Believe it or not, I got through most of the game in this run. Granted, I didn't do Assault or Chapter Five because A. that is insane and B. I got A+ on those levels anyway and that was the main point of the run. Still intense.
The worst thing about that drill is the high-pitched grinding sound it makes.  Even in such an ultra-violent game those executions felt sick somehow.  Also its tiny swing that - wait, does it work on dogs at all?  I couldn't get it to.  It's a pretty helpful weapon for getting A+ though, since it's not much worse than punching and it gives a ton of score (though I think that was nerfed in a patch?  I don't have the Steam version).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2014, 10:06:43 pm »

Oldcom superhuman single base run isn't so bad, you just have to use different sorts of tactics on the geoscape, using all your craft to patrol and whatnot, and you actually build up a lot of cash.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2014, 10:10:34 pm »

This doesn't seem so bad (even though this game introduces diminishing price on things you sell a lot) but I only got to the introduction of energy shields before I had to put my playthrough on hold.  Most of my money was definitely coming from manufacturing and selling equipment though.  And I don't think the government has anything to harass your craft with (unlike Megapol or the gangs).
It's actually much harder than I've portrayed it here, but I'm dredging the concept up from a five-year old message I sent that is long gone from this net. I'm pretty sure there was something about being unable to pay factions to improve their opinions of you and pissing off the majority of the city's factions.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2014, 10:21:02 pm »

Not a SIC, but RE4 on Professional was hard as fuck. I was extremely proud of myself when I finally made it through.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2014, 10:23:52 pm »

Deus Ex - Non lethal completion, prod and tranq-dart takedowns only. Managed to get a fair way through a no weapons/items run at one point(reached versa-life) but lost the save during a computer migration.
I think I managed this, mostly used the stun baton rather than the prod (and all the tranq darts I could get).  It took a long time and lots of reloading, mostly due to the MJ12 troopers.  They have this small baton-vulnerable area on their lower backs, it's weird and not marked.
Yeah, the lower back area seems to be the most vulnerable spot on everyone (everyone human, anyway). Aiming for the butt seems to work just as well, as far as I could tell, but I usually put points into the skill to make it more reliable (and to make it work on the tougher enemies).

Pretty sure it's possible to complete the game with absolutely no kills, though I don't remember how you avoid killing Navarra.  May be a glitch.  Gunther you can just run past which I find hilarious, that game sure was open-ended in many ways.
Tricking her into opening the locked door for you. I never managed to get her to do it, but I only tried it in one playthrough (out of something like a dozen started and four or five finished).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2014, 10:38:23 pm »

Doing a nuzlocke run of a Pokémon game is fun.

You catch one poké per route and when it faints, it's dead.
It's the only way to get some challenge from the kid-oriented games without playing some badly level-curved hack. (There's some exceptions.)
It's made me the saddest I've ever been over a handheld game. (Any game, actually.)
I'll definitely agree.  In fact, I used to have this little chart here.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Your typical nuzlocke only goes to the second Start (where it asks "how much harder"), but you can make it quite entertaining.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2014, 11:11:10 pm »

I've tried playing Nuzlocke some. Honestly didn't find it very cool. If you don't restrict pokemon centers it doesn't actually make it harder, it just makes it more grindy. And if you do restrict them it becomes really hard. In a way that I didn't find fun at least.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2014, 11:16:16 pm »

Quote from: Roland9
The worst thing about that drill is the high-pitched grinding sound it makes.  Even in such an ultra-violent game those executions felt sick somehow.  Also its tiny swing that - wait, does it work on dogs at all?  I couldn't get it to.  It's a pretty helpful weapon for getting A+ though, since it's not much worse than punching and it gives a ton of score (though I think that was nerfed in a patch?  I don't have the Steam version).
It doesn't work on dogs. The worst thing about the drill is not the horrible horrible sound, but the way that the enemies struggle when you drill them. I mean, Christ, they grab your shoulder. At least with the other ones they're too dazed to resist; the poor fuckers who get drilled are aware enough to try and shove you away.

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2014, 11:19:11 pm »

I may be a little bit OCD.

That's why in most FPS campaign I use either the "infinite rounds pistol" or the "shit-ton of ammo weak starting machingun" and in some case melee combat.
Often shooting new guns only once to see the effect or if the level is clearly designed for this (eg need rockets to kill a boss).
I always play at the hardest difficulty available, even cheating to unlock the last one in some games.

I went through all the classics like that, Doom, Fear, HL, Duke 3D (the good one), AvP/2 (again the good ones), Fallout3 (using only melee and the blowgun throwing crap), Stalker...
I STR I would often replay a mission until I loose nobody. Even in games like blitzkrieg with "platoons of infantry" I went through most campaign without loosing a trooper. I must admit it went slowly.

Moral of the story, I should stop playing other games like I play my roguelikes.  :P

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2014, 11:24:44 pm »

I'm the same way about ammo!  I'll use it when I have to, but usually after I've died or run really low on health.  I was married to the dispersion pistol in Unreal 1.  I even used it as a light source in Sunspire (ironic name for that dark, fallen tower-temple).

It doesn't work on dogs. The worst thing about the drill is not the horrible horrible sound, but the way that the enemies struggle when you drill them. I mean, Christ, they grab your shoulder. At least with the other ones they're too dazed to resist; the poor fuckers who get drilled are aware enough to try and shove you away.
Ugh, yeah.  It's very visceral in multiple ways, which is probably why it gives so much score.  Even the amount of points is disturbing in a "Good job killing that guy impressively!" way.

She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2014, 11:32:55 pm »

I may be a little bit OCD.

That's why in most FPS campaign I use either the "infinite rounds pistol" or the "shit-ton of ammo weak starting machingun" and in some case melee combat.
Often shooting new guns only once to see the effect or if the level is clearly designed for this (eg need rockets to kill a boss).
I always play at the hardest difficulty available, even cheating to unlock the last one in some games.

I went through all the classics like that, Doom, Fear, HL, Duke 3D (the good one), AvP/2 (again the good ones), Fallout3 (using only melee and the blowgun throwing crap), Stalker...
In games like Halo and Quake I don't like using lasers because of the way the gun feels, I like using punchy human weps like machine guns and shotguns, which sometimes isn't a downgrade. I also hate using grenades that you have to select as a weapon as opposed to CoD button press grenades.

I STR I would often replay a mission until I loose nobody. Even in games like blitzkrieg with "platoons of infantry" I went through most campaign without loosing a trooper. I must admit it went slowly.
Okay, that's impressive.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5