Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: Dominions 4 - Round 12 (And We're Up!)  (Read 20145 times)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 - Round 12 - Let's Draft!
« Reply #135 on: December 02, 2014, 08:46:50 pm »

I'm putting the mod together now.

My gem income will be 2E2D3B, and my nation name is Skamianiela (Belarusian for "petrified", since so many of my mages are slow to recruit  :P)

You suck, Boksi, by the way. But *sigh*, yes, I can do that.

Edit: Oh, as a bonus (also, so someone doesn't get screwed) I've made all of our nations "hates swamps" and "hates wastes"

Edit^2: Ok, we're about 99% ready. I just need:
1) for Hellheart to give me his national gem production.
2) for everyone to download the mod (HERE) and check to make sure I didn't screw anything up. I did a quick look around, but you'll want to make sure, I'd think. This would also be a good time to tell me if anything needs changing.
3) We need to pick a map.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 11:29:47 pm by AlStar »

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 02, 2014, 11:15:14 pm »

Screw it. I can't decide, so I'll take the coward's way out.

6S. Nation name: Shao Limb

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 02, 2014, 11:21:06 pm »

Screw it. I can't decide, so I'll take the coward's way out.

6S. Nation name: Shao Limb
Aw, you don't like Hellheartia? I took a long time to come up with that.

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 02, 2014, 11:52:30 pm »

Warrior of the Five Elements isn't Fort-Recruit as well. Are they mutually exclusive? I kind of assumed I'd get both, not one or the other.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 02, 2014, 11:58:01 pm »

Warrior of the Five Elements isn't Fort-Recruit as well. Are they mutually exclusive? I kind of assumed I'd get both, not one or the other.
As far as the game is concerned, foreign recruit means foreign only. However, if this was not the expected behavior for taking that (and everyone agrees), I'd be willing to throw your foreign troops onto your fort roster as well. Otherwise, we look into changing how your points are spent.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 03, 2014, 02:14:51 am »

I'll make sure I warn you all :
I won't be home (and won't access the game and tell you whether it's OK for my nations) for ~36 hours. Wont' really have access to the net either (going hiking with my company).
Anyway, you've seen the maps I've posted the images of, you roughly know what I want (not just 1 sea, preferably all the terrain types,...).

akirilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 03, 2014, 09:12:03 am »

A heads up - I am currently at a conference and won't have access to my home computer until Thursday night, so the odds of me doing anything game-wise between now and then are minimal.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 03, 2014, 09:41:33 am »

Well, I'm glad I went to all the trouble of putting the mod together last night, what with 2/5 players being out for most of the rest of the week.  :P

Ah well, it's not like it's effort wasted - it would've had to be done eventually.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 04, 2014, 12:16:51 pm »

I'm back and I tested the mod : it looks good for me :)

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 05, 2014, 04:46:35 am »

So, as we still have to choose the map, is there anyone against this one :

TomDraft 3 (68 land, 7 sea)

(you can click on the image to get it at double size).

I will be able to put it online in 7 hours, if you want to really test it, and I will put -nostart tags on provinces with less than 4 non-sea neighbours.
There seems to be everything (sea, swamp, waste, cave, farm, river), and it is of course double-wrap.

akirilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 05, 2014, 12:30:21 pm »

I downloaded the mod, it looks great, but there are a couple of unexpected behaviors

First - my Spire Horn Warrior is foreign recruit ONLY.  I assumed that spending a pick to make it foreign recruit does that IN ADDITION to retaining him at forts.  I most certainly do not want to lose the ability to recruit them in forts - in fact, I would consider that to be a negative rather than a positive.  If that's the standing interpretation, I need to revise my perk picks.  Does it also mean that Hellheart can only recruit his sacred warriors in non-fort provinces?

Second - PD at low levels has nothing to do with my national units, consisting instead of whatever Militia-equivalent the province can provide.  Instead of Spire Horn Warriors and Androphag Archers I see a whole lot of Militia, Light Infantry, and an occasional Archer (of the generic variety), although they are correctly led by an Eponi Chieftain.  Furthermore, at level 20, the Eagle King does NOT make an appearance as a commander.  Instead, it's whatever the native commander is for that province (Mounted Commander, for instance).  However, at 20 PD and at each additional point thereafter, I do get 1 Spire Horn Warrior and 1 Androphag Archer.

Is this the intended behavior?  It's inconsistent with the description on the front page (and PD units did influence my draft choices to an extent), but then again I didn't spend any perks on customizing PD, so it's not a huge issue, more one of expectation.  I expect different levels of resistance from Abysian Infantry led by an Eagle King than I do form 20 Militias led by a Mounted Commander, and it will influence how much I invest in building up PD.

Otherwise, everything is as I expected it to be.

P.S.  Having play-tested the nation for a year or so REALLY makes me wish I picked a different normal priest than a Guhyaka General - StR kills even if he is relatively cheap.  Alas, should have thought it through more (was one of my first picks).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 12:31:56 pm by akirilus »

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 05, 2014, 01:02:02 pm »

Is this the intended behavior?
Yeap.
PD units are yours directly only in provinces with a fort. in the other, you get your first scale unit at the second scale.

About the foreign-recruit thing, this is what foreign-recruit means.
Hellheart has his Warrior of the Five Elements only outside his forts. And I didn't use my points to take foreign-recruit on my units because I didn't want not to be able to buy them in my forts.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 05, 2014, 06:27:05 pm »

As far as the game is concerned, foreign recruit means foreign only. However, if this was not the expected behavior for taking that (and everyone agrees), I'd be willing to throw your foreign troops onto your fort roster as well. Otherwise, we look into changing how your points are spent.

I'll point to this post a few above. I'm willing to refund a point if you want to bring it back to fort recruit.

That's how PD works - your capital/fort PD will be what you expect, while any non-forted PD will be made up of the local troops led by your commander until you get up to 20+ PD. (which is pretty much what tompliss said.)

edit: and I'm good with TomDraft 3 - the water distribution is better than any of the ones I made. (Although I do kind of like mine with the vertical river cutting it in half, just because it's unique.)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 06:35:14 pm by AlStar »

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 05, 2014, 10:29:58 pm »

Hellheart has his Warrior of the Five Elements only outside his forts. And I didn't use my points to take foreign-recruit on my units because I didn't want not to be able to buy them in my forts.

This is still totally worth it. And it made me feel much better about my other Sacreds - 5 White Centaurs will clear out most PD before the trampling Troglodyte Lord can even get there, and in my other forts I will clearly focus on something other than massing Great Olms.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 06, 2014, 02:51:04 am »

edit: and I'm good with TomDraft 3 - the water distribution is better than any of the ones I made. (Although I do kind of like mine with the vertical river cutting it in half, just because it's unique.)
I think I'd like, someday, to play on a vertical oriented map, with a narrow (3-4 provinces wide) band of ground with a river (2 province wide sea) before wrapping around, extended for 20-40 provinces long...
T think the amphibious and coastal nations will have a net advantage, but it could be fun (except for the obivous 2vs1 always wins).

EDIT: and here is TomDraft3, edited with some neighbour links to fit a bit more (mountain passes for mountain provinces with too few neighbours), and the no-strat tags for provinces without 4 land provinces alawys accessible (or at least 2 temporary accessibles to compensate each normal province) : linky !
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 03:09:47 am by tompliss »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15