Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Dragon Age: Inquisition- Hyperbolic Thread Title!  (Read 9872 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition- Were you expecting it to be good? Its good.
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2014, 12:26:02 am »

Other then moments during the opening where they keep stuffing up the height of my Dwarf Character and that for some reason he is wearing more epic looking gear then he does when I get to the combat stage yet they constantly have the camera on his chest during cutscenes before that moment. Yeah its good...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2014, 12:57:19 am »

Ok, sorry I haven't been posting in this, actually got the game and then um...well was busy PLAYING the game. :P

So, its pretty awesome. Still lacks the tactical depth of the first game in favor of the "lol so action" style of the mistake, but makes up for it with STRATEGIC depth.
Really feels like you're running a fuckhueg organization, I would go so far as to say this game is what Fable 3 SHOULD have been.

The Orlesian Masquerade was awesome as well, definitely a high point.

Speaking of that Masquerade, how did you resolve the situation?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Basically I did what you WANTED to do :P
Did the same thing with the prisoner.

Speaking of prisoners, GOAT SIEGE :P

Also anyone else find it UNREASONABLY hard to get specializations?
At first I was going to try for champion, but decided that Templar was better for tanking. Was very happy to learn I had the materials I needed, but it took HOURS to find that goddamn book. (top floor of the blacksmithy, by the bed ftw)

Oh, and tip for newbies: Unlock the Emprise du Lion as soon as possible, it has level 3 crafting mats, including silverite, which lets you craft warrior-type armor that is wearable by ANY class.
Battlemagery will ensue.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 12:59:48 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2014, 01:00:32 am »

champion
templar

Not going with mage masterclass?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2014, 01:19:02 am »

champion
templar

Not going with mage masterclass?

Sadly mages have the most boring abilities of all the classes.

I mean you can use fire, ice, or lightning to do...exactly the same thing... and there isn't really any of the "fuck the world" spells from the first game outside of specializations.

The specializations make em interesting, but there's a LOT of game to slog through before you can even be annoyed by the crazy requirements for that.

Indeed, I do this.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2014, 01:31:09 am »

What, no Firestorm or anything?
Aww.
Sig! Onol

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2014, 01:34:56 am »

Well that is because Mages aren't made to do damage, that is the rogue's job.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2014, 02:27:46 am »

Speaking as someone who likes playing the artillery piece mage... that statement breaks my mind and makes me very sad at the same time.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2014, 02:36:47 am »

Speaking as someone who likes playing the artillery piece mage... that statement breaks my mind and makes me very sad at the same time.
Sig! Onol

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2014, 03:48:20 am »

Mages are definitely a support class this time around though my mage can definitely wreck some shit. They're also kinda the better AOE damage classes and thus better at crowd control. For example, the electric vortex when upgraded damages enemies every time they're damaged within it. As you can imagine, this can get a bit ridiculous as you pump out 1000+ damage per second in a large AOE.

Rift mages can drop meteors which is pretty amusing. That's probably the only superweapon-class spell in the game other than the special one your main character gets.

Also the knight-enchanter class is ludicriously hard to kill... especially when equipped with lifesteal and bonus to healing. Also with silverite-crafted heavy armour, a mage can equip it. Seriously, my main character who is that class can solo high dragons. It takes a freaking long time, but they can't kill him.

-----

Anyway, according to Origin I've played 95 hours of this. I'm about 90% done of the main story but about 40% done of all the other sidequests and such. I haven't even gone to three of the non-required locations.

I'm gonna stop playing now. Mostly because:

1) I'm encountering a lot of annoying bugs.
2) I kinda spoiled myself accidentally when trying to figure out some bugs and ruined the secret ending. Bleh.
3) The game feels rushed at this point.

The first two should be easy to understand but the third I think needs some elaboration.

Basically the game is super-duper in-depth for the three quarters of the story. Everything and everything has huge amounts of elaboration. There's so much build up for all the plot, your companions, your allies, etc. Then it sort of... ends. I'm not talking about an unresolved ending but rather, my companions just stop mattering. At 90% story completion, the only companion I think had a finished-up arc is Varric. Iron Bull for example completely falls off after one single thing and you're like "uhhh.... aren't you going to try to resolve this at all?". "Nope". It's annoying. It's like that for a lot of the characters.

You can tell they wanted to go further but probably ran out of time (4 years of development probably pissed people off). Also if I wasn't spending time faffing about in the countryside, this main quest could be finished in about 20 hours. It's actually very short if you look at it in that way. A bit like Skyrim.

Personally speaking, the only characters I think are fully fleshed out are Solas, Sera, and Varric. They have a lot to say, have tonnes of cutscenes, and their storylines are resolved. Cole is alright, though his circumstances are probably a bit unique. The rest just leave you hanging a lot. I suspect that it might be hidden behind the romance line. I wish there was more Dorian! I wish there was more Iron Bull! I wish fucking Blackwall would comment a bit more about his earth-shattering revelation instead of what amounts to "K."

I enjoyed my 90 hours of it. The last 5 hours were me being frustrated at "is this it?" It seems contradictory given how much time I spent but there you have it.

Edit: Forgot about the advisors. Cullen is done the best IMHO, he has a fully fleshed out story arc with a conclusion and epilogue. Leliana is Leliana, she got all the fleshing out she needed from the other games and she's basically being "Leliana" here. Josephine has quite little screentime honestly in comparison. Maybe if you romance her?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2014, 07:35:53 am »

That seems to be a bit of a problem in Bioware games. Assuming a five act sequence, their games tend to peak in act IV, and act V is a blitz to the finish line with no real storyline anymore except for the (supposedly) frantic quest to stop the big bad from finishing their master plan.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2014, 12:48:41 pm »

Doesn't feel like 5 acts to me actually.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2014, 12:19:11 am »

Speaking of bugs, anyone else having minute-long pauses of uninteractibility literally ANY time Stroud opens his stupid trap?

Every line he has just causes my game to go "hurr....durrrrr....hurrrrrrrrrrrrrr" for a full minute before recovering and its frustrating, if hilarious.

Indeed, I do this.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2014, 05:15:30 am »

Alright

I don't know if it's my apparently-degrading PS3 (even though I bought it like March last year?) or crap internet or what, but holy SHIT is DAI buggy and crashy.  I regularly get over three crashes in rapid succession each play session before eventually giving up, conversations, people and scenery fail to load... it's pretty fucking unenjoyable.

Also terrible:  The slow-ass animation to pick up shit that is like everywhere that you need in significant quantities for crafting and junk.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2014, 05:44:43 am »

How are the character personalities in this game?

Do characters act and respond rationally and logically at least within the parameters of their personality and the current situation?

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2014, 08:23:33 am »

I'm about 30 hours into the game, having killed 3 dragons and around level 17-18, and I'm enjoying it so far, but I feel like the characters are a bit more flat than their Origins or even DA2 predecessors.

Combat is a bit more fluid, but I would've liked to see the Tactics screen from Origins or 2 making a return, as either would be preferable to "Yes, use this ability," "No, don't use this ability," and "Use this ability whenever possible." Outfitting tactics like that so that your allies played half decently was part of the fun, at least for me, and in Inquisition you end up with enemies charging next to your squishier party members, and the party members sitting right next to them, firing a bow or swinging a staff in their face. I like the concept of the Knight-Enchanter for Vivenne, but when she mostly sits back and swings her staff around ineffectively, I'm wondering why they didn't add in the more robust tactics systems from the previous games.

Also, as far as keep upgrades, did anyone else go for the Chantry? I'm having a hard time figuring out what, exactly it meant by "Gathers money for you," as I don't seem to get any income from it of any sort. I feel gipped, as I probably should've gone the garden route, so that I could grow the harder to get herbs like Felandris.

Some bits also appear to be a bit wonky for PC... I mean, why is there no quick key to Take All when looting enemies, something that appeared in both previous games? Occasionally, the mouse will stop functioning when I go into menus, such that nothing becomes selectable... I can use keyboard keys to navigate, but an annoying bug nonetheless.

And while I like the open world feel, adding in the equivalent of Mercenaries/Assassin's Creed/Far Cry/[insert open world game here] as far as collectibles is a detestable move that preys on my ADD. Overall it feels like senseless game padding rather than anything that adds to the game. My first thought was that it basically boiled down an MMORPG into a story focused single player version,  what with the dispatches that require real time to pass, some one which can take close to a day to complete. Yes, I know they do so outside of the game, but it added a cheapy, freemium feel to the council map, and left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. 

Come to think of it... flat characters, useless party members, needless grinding and game padding, freemium tendencies and time sinks... Maybe DAI was going to be an MMO, or is basically their prototype.

My most interesting bugs so far include after a storyline event, my character appeared in the middle of Skyhold in the default "dress up doll" position, with both arms and legs spread out, and never left it until I went to another area completely (basically, he hovered, and jumping was the only way to turn directions, but he was able to otherwise move normally). Another point, I was in the Forbidden Oasis, and after getting off the horse, my view switched over to an NPC that wandered around the area whenever I selected my main character.

Has anyone else noticed that the horse is quite possibly the creepiest part of the game? It sort of reminds me of those creepy Watson videos that turn lazy programming into entertainment.

You go to call you horse, and it might as well be a summon, as it always appears opposite of the camera, usually directly behind you. I'm fairly sure the horse is an Old God of some sort. And you're using it as a mount.

It doesn't matter whether you are in a pit, just left a darkspawn infested cave, or are in a dragon's nest: The horse will always appear behind you, even if there was no way for it to feasibly get there beforehand. Normally, your character will take falling damage, but if you jump on your horse and fall far enough, its legs will shatter and rebuild themselves right before your very eyes. It devours the souls of your party members when you mount up, catching them in a black mist, only to release them temporarily from the black mist from which it itself came.

The horse waits, and watches. Always watching.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 11:34:29 pm by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5