Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 163796 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #2115 on: December 22, 2015, 08:43:51 am »

Sometimes you don't want to burn the world just yet.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: December 24, 2015, 02:08:42 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, what do you humans think we should do with a Battlesuit/Assaultsuit's knuckles? Since this really isn't my call to make. Pimpcane knuckles seems interesting.

Same thing for the gauntlet. Or different thing for gauntlet.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 03:04:30 am by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: December 24, 2015, 02:53:43 am »

Seems like an adequate replacement. Not as much potential !!FUN!! to be had, but they seem like they could be effective. Especially if the meat heads have the option to have them pre-programed with a dozen or so different blades/spikes/rotating cheese graters
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: December 24, 2015, 05:00:49 am »

I feel like force monoblades would make more sense. Exact same cost as kinamps as well. I mean, what shapes would you get out of pre-programmed knuckles? Blade (some types possible), spike, something blunt? Whereas forcefield blade can only do the blade (though you might be able to slap people with the flat side of the forcefield), but it can do it much, much better. And it also uses uncon, like the kinamps before it, while modifyable pimpcane knuckles would be exo (and I think, of the three weapon skills, exo meshes with something like a battlesuit the worst).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 06:55:58 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: December 26, 2015, 08:09:57 pm »

@COUNCIL

So, again, what should I do about the Doctrine?  Just add it to the wiki and armory now, or make it an action in the M26 thread?  The latter would allow PW to verify it first.

Next, PW directed me to ask you guys about two things.  First, selling sod slaves:
EDIT: Sod Selling (Ignore these if you're too busy)

6.We've discussed selling sods before, multiple times.  You vary in your answers; You've said yes, you've said no, and you've said "Yes, but only as mission equipment".  Can people buy sods for themselves?

7.If so, can I profit from it?  Presumably we'd use the same 25% profit margin, like with tinkered equipment, yes?

8.Finally, can sods be specially customized?  Comrade_P wants to buy (presumably attractive) female sods.  Can we do that?
Hmm. I have problems with it in theory, I just don't want it to further unbalance shit, you know? Do me a favor, send RC a PM about it and we'll talk. I don't mind it in theory, I just wonder how to do it effectively.

Second, an aux program which pretty much replaces dex and str rolls with aux rolls, assuming you're not doing something weird and your body is undamaged:
4.A long time ago, back during the boarding mission, I wrote a program.  To sum it up, it was supposed to take a library of different movements, mostly combat-oriented, and allow the user to make their robobody/exoskeleton enact those movements (possibly with minor on-the-fly adjustments).  The in-game effect would be to replace strength and dexterity rolls with AUX rolls, as long as the user's body was undamaged and the desired movements were in the library.  IIRC, you said it was fine and I successfully completed the program, but I never tested it.  I'd like to do so now, but using a robosod's body.  Is the program effective?
It should be. Maybe. Unless the council screams at me in a few minutes.
More info on the program here.

Are either or both of these okay?

@New Assaultsuit fist weapons
I think I'd prefer pimpcane knuckles which are controlled via AUX.  Forceblades are explosive, which isn't a trait you want on a hand-mounted weapon.  If we specifically make sure the forceblade is tougher than the armor, but not explosive emough to damage anything aside from the arm, maybe then.  That way, no blow will detonate it, unless it would have destroyed the hand anyway.

A serious consideration would be to mount a modified solid light matter generator to all assaultsuits, trading the kinamps and battlesuit plate layer.  The SLMG would be automated so that it's only able to create new armor, and some melee weapons.  Full milnoplate costs the same amount as the SLMG, so it's presumably an okay trade, plus the device is neutered.  We'd have to check with PW first though, to make sure the SLMG can be automated like that; We wouldn't want assaultsuits to require uncon.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: December 27, 2015, 02:07:24 am »

Yeah, I'd doublecheck doctrine with pw to be extra doubly sure, but it should work out. Then just plop it into the armory (though Nik has that thing where he wants people to pass it by him as the responsible overseer, but Maurice is somewhat predisposed, so... Yeah).

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: December 27, 2015, 06:03:10 am »

I'm currently fully available for Armory inclusion paper-stamping. It might be OOC-ish, but then again, I might not be for long in this office, and I do believe in the importance of red tape this final Seal of Approval.

So what do you want approved, Doctrine?.. Hmmm, could you explain the intended battlefield employment for this weapon? I don't doubt it's effectiveness, but I'm slightly hesitant in regards to its price. (Thus I would hope that the original creator could dispel those doubts.)

Are there any other items pending approval? Come at me while I'm here. :)

(Oh, and on the matter of "secret functions": The first rule of secret functions cl-...

I do think that they should not be mentioned at all, not on the wiki, not in this thread, not perhaps even to the Council - they're players as well, aren't they? So I can give two variants: either as a secret deal with Piecewise (after all, mysteries and sense of discovery is just as important for him to maintain as it is for us to experience), or as an open deal with Piecewise where he throws in, say, bells and whistles for the total of 10-20% of the item's cost  - at no extra cost added, but in complete secrecy and randomised/arbitrarily decided (i.e. the creator cannot count on those features being in there). The former approach can be IC-explained as the "secrets of the trade", the latter - that the Hephaestus mass-production inevitably requires some refinements and changes upon the initial Tinkered prototype, which are brought in by the engineers/Aresteve. Personally, I'd vouch for the latter approach, as it is more random and interesting, but former is also acceptable (as long as "secret features" stay in the zero-price-increase zone - but it might require some haggling with Piecewise, and still leaves at least one player "in the know" , so maybe it's slightly worse). )
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: December 27, 2015, 02:07:44 pm »

Syv, council is going over your stuff, by the way. Doing the aux thing first. More news as it develops.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: December 27, 2015, 02:21:45 pm »

Didn't want to bug yah RC, but has the council made any more progress on the Valkyrie? Remember PW did say that we can go ahead and replace ALL our shuttles with it...
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: December 27, 2015, 02:36:18 pm »

We already finished that, remember? A while back you asked, I told you we needed armor info. You provided, then we told you it was ok and that you just needed to agree with pw how much of our current shuttle fleet it was going to replace (for the record, I'd suggest keeping some normal shuttles around, just in case). You also asked for a token price, but pw confirmed that a normal shuttle is already really, really expensive, so this one with all the added crap would honestly be too expensive to afford for anyone, so we never gave it a real token value.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: December 27, 2015, 03:00:57 pm »

We already finished that, remember? A while back you asked, I told you we needed armor info. You provided, then we told you it was ok and that you just needed to agree with pw how much of our current shuttle fleet it was going to replace (for the record, I'd suggest keeping some normal shuttles around, just in case). You also asked for a token price, but pw confirmed that a normal shuttle is already really, really expensive, so this one with all the added crap would honestly be too expensive to afford for anyone, so we never gave it a real token value.

Ah, right. So what's left then? Just Nik giving the rubberstamp?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: December 27, 2015, 03:09:03 pm »

Eeyup, even though I frown (like an old angry man yelling at kids on his lawn) ever so slightly upon the ooc-but-sorta-ic thing that's going on there, once you have that you're good. No wait, you also need a full write-up we can copypaste into the wiki somewhere so we don't forget what it has.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: December 27, 2015, 03:15:01 pm »

Um, didn't PW abolish the whole hep-approving thing when he made the system where people get tokens for their designs? Or is my memory shitty?

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: December 27, 2015, 03:22:54 pm »

I decided to let the Doctrine have full-auto by default.  Now you can piss away your ammo at unprecedented rates! :P

@Nik
Well, here's my original writeup for the Doctrine, modified slightly to account for council changes.

Spoiler: Armory Entry (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mechanical Explanation (click to show/hide)

As far as role... Well, it's intended to be a semi-replacement for the PSL.  The PSL is overkill for the vast majority of targets that we fight, even bosses.  Synthflesh warriors, arbiters, protectorates--all of them are much softer than a battlesuit, and their primary difficulty comes from being difficult to hit at all.  Thus, having more shots (which are still large enough to be lethal) seems like a good tradeoff.  Plus, on the rare occasions where we do encounter heavy targets, the Doctrine is still capable of dealing with them, albeit less effectively.

The PSL does have a use; it's better against extremely tough targets, like an Avatar of War.  I actually think it would be a good idea to replace the PSL with a 15 token variant, which easily one-shots battlesuits, and is more efficient against super heavy enemies.  The only problem with that is that we can't actually remove the PSL from the armory, so there would be too much redundancy.  Also, it would be very expensive for a weapon that's not very useful most of the time, much like the HGC.

Lastly, just to stave off the inevitable responses about how we can't predict the field effectiveness... Yes, this is all according to probably maybes, rather than guaranteed truths.  The Doctrine could very well end up being a worse weapon than the blifle.  I just hope it won't.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: December 28, 2015, 07:33:42 am »

After deliberations, the council thinks that allowing to substitute dex or str rolls by aux ones is not a good idea in terms of game balance. Several reasons were given, among those that allowing stats to replace each other leads to some stats becoming too powerful. Aux in general is already a powerful stat, rolled pretty often and needed to pilot high-end suits, so it probably does not need a boost. True, con rolls can be substituted by aux, but for that one needs to buy specialized hardware, next to hardpoints having other drawbacks (eg no swapping guns on the fly easily).

Someone brought up the AM's steady blade system as an example of 'replacing' rolls (or even circumventing them) that's less problematic. Here, the big drawback is that you are very much at the gm's mercy once you use it (more so than usual, so to speak) and loose control for a while (and the program specifies that it foregoes defense in favor of offense, so even if things go right you can end up in pieces), so there are real and tangible downsides to using it as opposed to just replacing roll x by roll y.

Any comments or other questions on this? If not, we'll move on to the sod issue.

Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 155