Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 163721 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #2070 on: November 07, 2015, 10:30:09 pm »

@Radio

Okay, can do!  Unless given a different directive, I'll remind you guys once the new exo/unc stuff is all finished.  I'm guessing that's what's keeping you busy.

@Nun

Interesting book.  After doing a bit of research on what it's about, I have a lot of things to say.  However, they pretty much boil down to "Not if you're a utilitarian."

Also:
Quote from: TvTropes, describing BNW's "dystopia"
Most people have no idea just how vapid and insignificant their lives are.
HAHAHAHA!

Nunzillor

« Reply #2071 on: November 07, 2015, 11:01:56 pm »

If you're a utilitarian it's essentially as much of a utopia as could ever be possible.  But if you place value on freedom, creative thought, and emotion, the society in A Brave New World closely resembles a dystopia.  The sods remind me of Deltas, cloned menial laborers conditioned from birth to accept their lot in life, dull but well trained, forever subservient to the higher castes.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 11:04:32 pm by Nunzillor »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2072 on: November 08, 2015, 05:46:38 am »

But what if they enjoy being slaves? Wouldn't it be wrong to make people unhappy and force them to be "free" against their will, just because their morals don't match yours? After all, you're doing two wrongs: forcing your will and your morals on them AND hurting them and making them unhappy.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: November 08, 2015, 05:59:51 am »

Of course not.

If we have given them real freedom, then they a free to sell themselves back into slavery if they so choose.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Nunzillor

« Reply #2074 on: November 08, 2015, 09:57:13 am »

But what if they enjoy being slaves? Wouldn't it be wrong to make people unhappy and force them to be "free" against their will, just because their morals don't match yours? After all, you're doing two wrongs: forcing your will and your morals on them AND hurting them and making them unhappy.
They're quite literally conditioned from birth into accepting their role in society without  question.  Without that coercement, they would surely not tolerate being slaves.  Even with the coercement, I think a taste of freedom would be enough to make some of them see things differently.  Maybe.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 10:00:08 am by Nunzillor »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2075 on: November 08, 2015, 11:10:26 am »

Haven't you been conditioned to think being creative and free is a good thing? Does that make it wrong?
Besides, not everyone subconsciously wants to be free. There are people who feel uncomfortable making choices, people who prefer to follow rather than to lead or people who prefer to have the illusion of choice rather than actual choice.
There are people who want to consume and perform simple tasks rather than create, people who prefer believing something they know is false just because it's more comfortable than facing the truth. Does that make them inferior to other people?

Just to be clear, I'm just having some fun playing the devil's advocate, I'm not advocating either for or against either world view. If you do not like this sort of conversation, I will stop.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: November 08, 2015, 11:14:06 am »

Haven't you been conditioned to think being creative and free is a good thing? Does that make it wrong?
Besides, not everyone subconsciously wants to be free. There are people who feel uncomfortable making choices, people who prefer to follow rather than to lead or people who prefer to have the illusion of choice rather than actual choice.
There are people who want to consume and perform simple tasks rather than create, people who prefer believing something they know is false just because it's more comfortable than facing the truth. Does that make them inferior to other people?

Just to be clear, I'm just having some fun playing the devil's advocate, I'm not advocating either for or against either world view. If you do not like this sort of conversation, I will stop.
You're doing a very convincing job of it.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2077 on: November 08, 2015, 11:21:34 am »

Well, I do it to myself all the time. It's always fun trying to poke holes in your ideas or try to take them to their logical extremes. It helps turn something I feel in my mind into something more concrete and easily understandable, something less fuzzy, if that makes sense. And it helps spot mistakes.

Nunzillor

« Reply #2078 on: November 08, 2015, 11:30:18 am »

Nah, I think it's interesting.  There is a difference between being someone who doesn't like to be a leader, someone who likes to be led by others, and being a slave.  To be clear, I don't mean figuratively being a slave to an ideology or to a way of thinking, or just being someone that isn't creative, I mean literally being forced to do manual labor for no benefit to yourself for the sake of others.  No human being naturally likes that, and looking at history at slave uprisings and abolishment by reputable governments at a global level, it seems less like I'm conditioned to say so and more like a moral inevitability.

Slavery, being bound to another's will, is such an extreme that it is difficult to conceive of anyone that would appreciate it. The same assertions you make were brought up by slavery advocates before it became illegal in America.  "They like to work, it's all they know!  It's just a way of life, and it's unfair of you to impose your cultural mindset on others!" Overwhelmingly, slaves were happy to be free, even in a society that was heavily prejudiced against them.  Slavery is a mistake.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 12:18:46 pm by Nunzillor »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: November 08, 2015, 02:34:40 pm »

Spoiler: For size. (click to show/hide)

Regardless of what you think of BRW, ER sods are easier to accept. They have no soul!  They're really nothing more than robots who use organic circuits.  It's way more immoral to use manipulator brains, because those were once thinking humans with families, and using them to power space magic subjects them to pain and torment.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2080 on: November 08, 2015, 03:08:20 pm »

That is indeed a convincing argument. However, it is an argument about modern humans. But what happens when you try to apply that argument to a sci-fi setting? I mean, in a sci-fi setting, you can get all sorts of weird ethical problems you might have not even thought about. And because as a society we have not actually gone through the changes that come with the advancement of science or the changes in how the economy or the society or the government works (the steps through the discovery and/or adoption of a ground-breaking new thing and the adjustment of our moral system or the development of a new moral system around it) we tend to quickly apply our current morals to the situation without much thought about how the society in said fiction thinks and works or what the things in the story actually resemble, what their closest analogue to something in the modern world is.

So, to be specific, yes, there is a convincing argument that enslaving a human might be wrong, based on historical evidence. However, consider the argument from a different perspective. Is owning a work dog wrong? Dogs are intelligent. They can understand things, follow orders, make choices, display emotions... Yet many are imprisoned inside houses for people's entertainment while others are taken from a young age and trained to do something, without being given a choice. And if the training is right, they'll even learn to love their job and their trainer. But if they disobey their orders or do not behave as expected, they might end up cast out or worse killed, with a more suitable dog replacing them. The same argument could be made for any sort of domesticated animals, but dogs are usually the easiest to relate to.

So, we come down to two questions: What is the difference between a slave and a dog? I mean, if someone treated slaves like dogs or other work animals, kept them happy but forced them to do certain work, would what they are doing be morally questionable? And if so, why? What if they left dissidents leave and fend for themselves? Would they still be wrong?

And second and most important to our discussion, what is the difference between a Sod and a dog? After all, sods are intelligent but not as intelligent as humans, they were bred created to follow orders, they are usually taken care of and they are happy as long as they are following orders. True, they have some human DNA in them and look humanoid, but so do other primates.

((Again, just arguing for arguments sake. I agree that slavery is wrong. But it's fun to see someone's morals and way of thinking.))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: November 08, 2015, 03:22:48 pm »

I suppose major problem with slavery is that you are using your own kin for it. But sods are not humans. They are engineered biological tools of war.

But then again ants use slavery. You can't even argue slavery is unnatural.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: November 08, 2015, 04:45:10 pm »

I can't help but wonder if we could employ this sort of sod slavery debate to undermine UWM.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nunzillor

« Reply #2083 on: November 08, 2015, 04:57:11 pm »

Hmm.  Perhaps I see things differently than most...

Spoiler: @syvarris (click to show/hide)

The basic difference, I think, is that dogs don't have the potential for advanced reasoning, which is the crux of the issue, I feel.  The sods, on the other hand, are altered to be more stupid and more compliant.  They had the capability to be a regular human being like anyone else, but were damaged by the government (whether ARM or UWM) until they were almost like dogs.  That is a reprehensible act because is essentially killing the person they would have become.

But sods are not dogs, they are still human beings.  They have the capacity to understand complex languages, including written languages, and internalize complex training that would baffle any dog.  Or any primate other than sapiens, for that matter.  In my opinion, the sods have sufficiently advanced reasoning to be "eligible" for basic human rights, similarly to how sufficiently advanced AIs would deserve rights. 

Letting dissidents leave would be a good step.  I'm not sure if there would be more than a few due to the way they are created.  Not destroying humans' potential to bring them near the same level as dogs would be better.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 05:04:08 pm by Nunzillor »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: November 08, 2015, 06:05:34 pm »

Spoiler: Size (click to show/hide)

@Comrade P.

It would be rather difficult to use this debate effectively.  Even if we could get people to care, we still use sods in overwhelming numbers.  The only real difference is that most of ours are robots with 3d printed organic brains, while the UWM only grows full-flesh sods.  Even that difference is just due to a massive resource and production disparity; We make robots because we have a massive industrial world full of metal and production lines, but relatively little organic material.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 155