Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 163661 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #2055 on: November 04, 2015, 12:27:21 am »

Hey, council people, you took over weapon statistics and pricing, right?  I figured I could post the information on the Doctrine (shard weapon between testament and PSL), since it's not doing anything PW hasn't approved.  It's just miniaturizing the PSL less.

If this is okay, then please vet it.  If not, that's fine.

Spoiler: Armory entry (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mechanical explanation (click to show/hide)

@Slave Trade

IIRC, PW previously offered to let people buy unequipped sods for 5(?) tokens, but pointed out that the buyer would have to talk to me because I'm their supreme commander/creator.  However, when I brought up selling sods in IRC later, he said he didn't want people to be able to own sods.  You can try asking him again and he might change his mind, but I refuse to make specialty sods unless I get paid for it.

Nunzillor

« Reply #2056 on: November 04, 2015, 12:33:40 am »

ln thinking about it more, I've found I feel pretty terrible about it, even in a game.  So never mind.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: November 04, 2015, 12:40:27 am »

ln thinking about it more, I've found I feel pretty terrible about it, even in a game.  So never mind.
Why? They're literally born lobotomized or something IIRC. Hell, I'm planning something much worse and it isn't even on a non-sapient being!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Nunzillor

« Reply #2058 on: November 04, 2015, 12:45:57 am »

It just unsettles me.  Dunno.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: November 04, 2015, 12:52:06 am »

Bah, you decent person.

Sig! Onol

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: November 05, 2015, 06:16:29 pm »

@Sod Slavery

Think about it like this: sods have gene hacked pleasure centers which cause them to feel nothing but bliss as long as they're following orders.  Flesh sods make up only a small portion of our forces, and are considered inferior and secondary to the robosods.  Therefore, most of them are probably doomed to spend the rest of the war in a crate or stasis container, never getting the chance to fight for their glorious commander.

Slavery isn't an accurate term for sods being bought--it's more like they're being knighted in service to a lord.  Instead of being one of the thousands thrown haphazardly into battle on a whim, or sitting and waiting for years on end, a sod in service to a player would be a unique soldier who sees important action.  You would equip it, command it, name it, and potentially even design it.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: November 05, 2015, 08:12:25 pm »

...I kinda want one. Test unknown shit on him, have him clear a building, walk into unknown areas, lots of possibilities there.
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: November 05, 2015, 08:28:10 pm »

Hey, so my meatbag slave idea isn't actually a warcrime! ~Suck it, naysayers~!

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: November 05, 2015, 08:42:07 pm »

Note that 'humans' and 'sods' isn't interchangeable for a reason. Your... whatever you wanted the meatbag slave for, might work differently on a sod than on a regular human (their physique is excellent, so they might easier survive 'lethal' therapy - but their 'space magic affinity' is hampered, so that area is far more difficult to explore).

And finally, the distinction of us employing sods not being slavery or worse isn't so clear-cut. But oh well.

P.S. With Hapah's announcement, though, you might be able to acquire a clone of you for mere 3 tokens. Now whether performing inhumane experiments on yourself (just... another yourself) is a warcrime is even muddier and, well, I think it rather counts as self-sacrifice so everything is fine.
See? Cloning yourself, a living, thinking and understanding being that can feel pain and anguish is far more acceptable than using creatures that were designed for this and aren't in the slightest way unfazed by the experiments (and, in fact, derive pleasure and happiness from being useful). Ethics are weird.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: November 05, 2015, 09:14:33 pm »

Note that 'humans' and 'sods' isn't interchangeable for a reason. Your... whatever you wanted the meatbag slave for, might work differently on a sod than on a regular human (their physique is excellent, so they might easier survive 'lethal' therapy - but their 'space magic affinity' is hampered, so that area is far more difficult to explore).

And finally, the distinction of us employing sods not being slavery or worse isn't so clear-cut. But oh well.

P.S. With Hapah's announcement, though, you might be able to acquire a clone of you for mere 3 tokens. Now whether performing inhumane experiments on yourself (just... another yourself) is a warcrime is even muddier and, well, I think it rather counts as self-sacrifice so everything is fine.
See? Cloning yourself, a living, thinking and understanding being that can feel pain and anguish is far more acceptable than using creatures that were designed for this and aren't in the slightest way unfazed by the experiments (and, in fact, derive pleasure and happiness from being useful). Ethics are weird.

That's actually brilliant! Conveniently enough Root is reasonable enough to not be opposed to such a plan if he ever wants to do it. Maybe after a few missions.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: November 05, 2015, 10:06:11 pm »

@Sod Slavery

Think about it like this: sods have gene hacked pleasure centers which cause them to feel nothing but bliss as long as they're following orders.  Flesh sods make up only a small portion of our forces, and are considered inferior and secondary to the robosods.  Therefore, most of them are probably doomed to spend the rest of the war in a crate or stasis container, never getting the chance to fight for their glorious commander.

Slavery isn't an accurate term for sods being bought--it's more like they're being knighted in service to a lord.  Instead of being one of the thousands thrown haphazardly into battle on a whim, or sitting and waiting for years on end, a sod in service to a player would be a unique soldier who sees important action.  You would equip it, command it, name it, and potentially even design it.

The idea that buying sods is like knighting them now makes me really want to just buy at least one of them and equip them with a K-amp lance and robo horse.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: November 05, 2015, 10:09:39 pm »

If Lucricia survives for long enough I'm actually planning to custom order an organic buddy, probably some sorta camouflaged bird scout that's able to mimic words or something like that.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Nunzillor

« Reply #2067 on: November 05, 2015, 10:38:40 pm »

The whole sod program is very problematic morally.  Reminiscent of A Brave New World...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: November 05, 2015, 10:50:20 pm »

If Lucricia survives for long enough I'm actually planning to custom order an organic buddy, probably some sorta camouflaged bird scout that's able to mimic words or something like that.
See if I were still a shapeshifter I could help with this.
Sig! Onol

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: November 07, 2015, 06:07:27 pm »

@syv (and others maybe, if I missed them): the council is a bit pre-occupied with helping pw with his stuff, so it might take a while. Maybe remind us again once pw's stuff is all in the armory?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 155