Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 163934 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #1515 on: June 27, 2015, 10:00:12 am »

I thought council's job was to see if tinkered design can even work in first place? Did their job description change at some point?

Our job was to help pw with balancing, keep an eye out for exploits, check if tinker stuff works out, stuff like that. Was never fully detailed, because we have no real power anyways.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: June 27, 2015, 10:06:19 am »

I was going to go to some pretty solid lengths backing up my justification for a slightly increased cost, but it seems the actual reason for getting expensive weapons for nothing is because the token system is supposed to be completely arbritrary and unjustifiable.

I mean, really?  You get to make up whatever token price you like, except mine is completely unacceptable because.. it is actually a reasonable and defenceable price for what you are getting?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 10:12:20 am by Devastator »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1517 on: June 27, 2015, 10:10:55 am »

Or, maybe, try to balance things as best as we can, and let pw break his own game when he feels like it.
But balance in relation to what? Your own beliefs on what balance is supposed to be? Not the already established balance of the game?

Not even that. The council has no power! We just advise pw, and if he agrees, report our findings. PW can easily veto the veto, but chose not to.
To give an extreme example, that's like saying "We have no power! We may have given that man the death sentence if he does not choose to repent, but the governor did not phone to give him a pardon! If he wanted, he could had given him a pardon, but he didn't! Therefore, we are not responsible for his death. The only one we can blame is him for not repenting and the governor for not calling us! Nobody but us!"

What I'm saying is, you do have power. Piecwise had agreed on one thing, then you disagreed with that and piecewise decided not to disagree with you. You can't avoid the responsibility that power gives you by pretending you have no power.

I was going to go to some pretty solid lengths backing up my justification for a slightly increased cost, but it seems the actual reason for not getting expensive weapons for nothing is because the token system is supposed to be completely arbritrary and unjustifiable.

I mean, really?  You get to make up whatever token price you like, except mine is completely unacceptable because.. it is actually a reasonable and defenceable price for what you are getting?
I thought the conclusion of his post was that your price was unreasonable. He even had math and tilde symbols and everything plus comparisons to the existing token system, showing how that item fit in there. All you have is your own belief on how things should be balanced and what should be reasonable.

EDIT: I'm not judging anyone. I'm just saying how things are. Piecewise must trust your opinion better if he has you making decisions based on that alone, but it's just that, an opinion.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: June 27, 2015, 10:18:26 am »

I thought the conclusion of his post was that your price was unreasonable. He even had math and tilde symbols and everything plus comparisons to the existing token system, showing how that item fit in there. All you have is your own belief on how things should be balanced and what should be reasonable.

Well, the math is silly.  I'm assuming you're taking it from this post in particular?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=145831.msg6313769#msg6313769

Nikitan made that data up on the spot, entirely out of his own beliefs, to support his decision on the price.  Even so, using his assumptions, all those parts that he's ignoring are still required to create the PEW!  You still need the cooling, the generator, the focusing, and the two black boxes.

In the end, asking for whatever the #### you want to be free is totally acceptable, but asking for four goddamn tokens more is completely out of line?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: June 27, 2015, 10:27:44 am »

I also don't want it because I think it would be a very bad thing for the armoury to descend into "Whatever package deals the Hep guys decide to offer."  It means you don't get to pick what you want, unless you go sweet-talk the hep guys into making whatever you want for whatever price you think it should be, which is, in all honestly, a completely raw deal for anyone who doesn't want to play endless political games all the time.

I mean, really, why not just discount everything in the armoury 80% or so, to represent what you get for talking someone on Hep into duct-taping it to an assaultsuit, which is what mechanically these creations are.

I suppose that's only harsh if you don't have the fifteen tokens to buy yourself into the old-boys club, you peasant, you, or if you can't get one out of the free prototype loaner plan, which since everyone would want to use a personalized assaultsuit, everyone is eligable for, because each one is a 'unique product', and thus qualifies for prototyping.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: June 27, 2015, 10:32:54 am »

Seriously, though, I would like to hear a straight answer as to why giving two newbies PEWs would cost 24 tokens, but why firing two PEWs yourself should cost 5.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: June 27, 2015, 10:33:54 am »

I was going to go to some pretty solid lengths backing up my justification for a slightly increased cost, but it seems the actual reason for not getting expensive weapons for nothing is because the token system is supposed to be completely arbritrary and unjustifiable.

You know what is the funniest thing about all this? We both want 'fair' price, that is not defined arbitrarily. Hell, I'll go out on a leg and say we both would have probably accepted this price whether it was too high or too low, if only it was directly explained by resources spent. But for some reason (*wink*wink* We're here, [you know who]! :P) a new concept has entered this game in the last few years, and that word is "balance" - and it made the "realistic prices" make room and coexist with it.

Now, I am not saying that 'balance' is a bad thing. It's a compromise, and a good one at that - and, as usual, the telling mark of a good compromise is that no party is satisfied with the result. So here we are, both unhappy with the result, but maybe or maybe not it's for the good of us all, even if we cannot exactly see it.

Our job was to help pw with balancing, keep an eye out for exploits, check if tinker stuff works out, stuff like that. Was never fully detailed, because we have no real power anyways.
"The king holds the absolute power! We are merely his royal advisors, we have no real power anyways!" :P
Or, to quote ancients "My son rules all Greece" of Themistocles.

Well, the math is silly.  I'm assuming you're taking it from this post in particular?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=145831.msg6313769#msg6313769

Nikitan made that data up on the spot, entirely out of his own beliefs, to support his decision on the price.  Even so, using his assumptions, all those parts that he's ignoring are still required to create the PEW!  You still need the cooling, the generator, the focusing, and the two black boxes.
To be entirely honest, I indeed did the calculations on the spot, but they were as neutral as possible; I really wanted to find out the result, and it came a bit surprising even to me. The calculations are, in fact, based on my own extensive memories and experience of Tinkering and can be considered subjective in that - but so far that has been considered a more or less reliable source, and, of course, it is easily provable: ask Piecewise on those same prices I guesstimated.
Yes, it can be reasoned that there might be an extra one or two tokens in there for all the efficient energy transitions and wiring etc., but as I explained then - the cooling and the generator are already included in the very suit. That's the reason integrating the weapon offers such a nice synergy, after all.
And finally, once again, I am of the "Old-school" Tinker; I am less used and fine with arbitrarily making things up than figuring out the cost and how it should transition into tokens. That is why I assert my statement that those calculations were made in good faith; had they shown a very different result, I would not have denied them. I was being scientifically objective as much as it is possible within this game.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1522 on: June 27, 2015, 10:42:33 am »

Even so, using his assumptions, all those parts that he's ignoring are still required to create the PEW!  You still need the cooling, the generator, the focusing, and the two black boxes.
No, the point of his post is that they are not needed. Because they are already being provided by the assaultsuit/battlesuit. Therefore, all you're paying for is the 2 black boxes. Therefore, if we had linear prices, then the price of the suit would be dependent on the price of those two black boxes only, minus all the other equipment needed to operate them.

In the end, asking for whatever the #### you want to be free is totally acceptable, but asking for four goddamn tokens more is completely out of line?
I'm not saying it's out of line. We're not judging anyone or saying you're an idiot or anything like that. All I'm saying is that I'm not asking for things to be given for free, I simply have a different opinion on the matter than the council and am trying to convince it of that because its opinion matters more merely because of its position of power. It's simple politics, negotiation.

I also don't want it because I think it would be a very bad thing for the armoury to descend into "Whatever package deals the Hep guys decide to offer."  It means you don't get to pick what you want, unless you go sweet-talk the hep guys into making whatever you want for whatever price you think it should be, which is, in all honestly, a completely raw deal for anyone who doesn't want to play endless political games all the time.

I mean, really, why not just discount everything in the armoury 80% or so, to represent what you get for talking someone on Hep into duct-taping it to an assaultsuit, which is what mechanically these creations are.

I suppose that's only harsh if you don't have the fifteen tokens to buy yourself into the old-boys club, you peasant, you, or if you can't get one out of the free prototype loaner plan, which since everyone would want to use a personalized assaultsuit, everyone is eligable for, because each one is a 'unique product', and thus qualifies for prototyping.
It's not "Whatever package deal Heph wants to offer". As the post you linked shows, this is an idea that makes in-game sense to be a weapon package. The only thing in the game that currently gives such freedom is the Avatar of War.

This isn't a slippery slope. I have a hard time imagining the armoury suddenly flooding with unnecessary battlesuit variants, because such variants would offer nothing and make little sense. This is a variant that makes sense, even more so than existing variants.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: June 27, 2015, 10:48:12 am »

I may very well have accepted some of those synergy arguments from Sean, if he didn't go to such lengths to describe how much he worked on creating new improvements to them, instead of how these changes can allow for a cheaper PEW.  Also, there still are issues, because you'd still need the two barrels, at the very least.  You can then make another argument that building these things internally and then surrounding them with the dozens of layers of advanced armor that goes into the assaultsuit would result in an increase of price, as strapping two big guns to the shoulders means you need to add more armor, power assistance, etcetera.

Plus, well, in my opinion, I'd like it to not matter if you are rolling the feature into the suit, (the advanced generator, for instance), that it no longer costs money.  If the assaultsuit has absolutely everything, paramount defensive capabilities, rocket jets, advanced integrated generators..  why is it so cheap?

Lastly, I'm the only one unhappy with the result.  The tinker guys get what they want.  Cheap prices, permanent discounts to anything strapped to combat suits, prototyping capabilities that lets Hep hand out whatever they want to whoever they want for free..  The only compromise I get is that a few meaningless systems are thrown out on the design.  The only one that actually matters was the adjustment that the weapons would be built into the arms, meaning the loss of a usable arm for each PEW.

Except, of course, that wouldn't actually be part of the design once it's accepted and written into canon on the wiki, right?  It would be 'built into the arms', and the arms would still be usable..  To be honest, removing a useable arm would make it easier and cheaper to create, so I'd probably be okay with one less token cost per arm given up, with 23 for a single and 28 for a double.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1524 on: June 27, 2015, 11:26:42 am »

Also, there still are issues, because you'd still need the two barrels, at the very least.
Nope, just need to switch out a layer of hexsand inside the gun with a layer of hexplate, which should actually be cheaper. Only problem is that you'd have to remove the motors/electronics/various equipment in there to make room for the barrel, so the hand/arm itself would have less functionality.

You can then make another argument that building these things internally and then surrounding them with the dozens of layers of advanced armor that goes into the assaultsuit would result in an increase of price, as strapping two big guns to the shoulders means you need to add more armor, power assistance, etcetera.
Not really. The HEPs themselves are tiny, a mere unpainted metal cylinder on a pistol handle. And part of that is the generator. So all you need is power lines and perhaps a few lines of coolant running between the plates to help spread the heat around the suit or prevent the pilot from getting fried.

Plus, well, in my opinion, I'd like it to not matter if you are rolling the feature into the suit, (the advanced generator, for instance), that it no longer costs money.  If the assaultsuit has absolutely everything, paramount defensive capabilities, rocket jets, advanced integrated generators..  why is it so cheap?
Why is any equipment in the armoury the price it is? Why is the Gauss Cannon so expensive? Why is the Hand Cannon and Brisant so cheap?
The battlesuit is cheap because piecewise wants it to be cheap, because armoury sales are not done for profit.

Lastly, I'm the only one unhappy with the result.  The tinker guys get what they want.  Cheap prices, permanent discounts to anything strapped to combat suits, prototyping capabilities that lets Hep hand out whatever they want to whoever they want for free..  The only compromise I get is that a few meaningless systems are thrown out on the design.  The only one that actually matters was the adjustment that the weapons would be built into the arms, meaning the loss of a usable arm for each PEW.

Except, of course, that wouldn't actually be part of the design once it's accepted and written into canon on the wiki, right?  It would be 'built into the arms', and the arms would still be usable..  To be honest, removing a useable arm would make it easier and cheaper to create, so I'd probably be okay with one less token cost per arm given up, with 23 for a single and 28 for a double.
But think about it in terms of gameplay. If people on Hephaestus can't create at least equal equipment to the ones already existing in the armoury for the same price, then what is the point of them trying to design things?

Shouldn't the basis of this argument be trying to limit the PEWPEW so that it has more or less the same capabilities and price as other variants (EDIT: or be more expensive if it must have more functionality, although I dislike that due to personal preference, I'd prefer it if all variants are the same price), rather than trying to come up with arbitary arguments about what its price should be based on anyone's beliefs on what is and is not balanced? To work with the designer to reach a compromise with that as a goal? I think it would be a more objective and useful way of going about balancing this.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 11:28:56 am by Parisbre56 »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: June 27, 2015, 11:28:56 am »

Solution: Make the Avatar of War cost 50 token, make all BS and AS variants cost appropriately to their gear. Then the 2PEW AS can cost 28 token easy.

Do you grasp, at least, the concept of the cost curve? It's a vital part of tailor-balancing. Given item A, that has a general "Usefulness" of X and a cost of Y, and item B, that has a usefulness of W and cost of V, a theoretical item C, that has a usefulness of M, where X<M<W, must therefore cost N, where Y<N<V, and most importantly, the relative values of Y, N, and V must be proportional in their difference to their corresponding values X, M, and W. It gets a little more confusing with more items in the set, but this is a simple case.

Put into numbers, if you evaluate item B as ten times as useful as item A, but A costs 15 and B costs 30, an item C that is about thrice as useful as A, but still vastly inferior to B, should cost about 20 - this is me fudging the hell out of some virtual math, but I hope I am communicating my point well enough by now.

Just making the Avatar more expensive isn't going to fix all of the cost curve, but it's going to make this particular situation more viable.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: June 27, 2015, 10:03:21 pm »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: June 28, 2015, 02:01:46 am »

Heh heh. Lots to take in here! I'll try to respond somewhere today, when I'm back from work.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: June 28, 2015, 05:59:57 am »

Simple solution to the assault suit problem:
1- Battlesuits are effectively crappier Assaultsuits and cost 15 tokens REGARDLESS of the variant bought.
2- Assaultsuits also cost 15 tokens same as the Battlesuit

Stock assaultsuits and stock battlesuits are identical [well not really but they have the same functions the assaultsuit is just better] and cost 15 tokens. As we can see an Assaultsuit could come with the same variants with the same price. The assaultsuit is just the next battlesuit, so there really shouldn't be a reason against allowing the old variants to be available to the assault suit as they are all PW approved [as far as I know].

EDIT: removed a bunch of rambling nonsense

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 08:47:31 am by Corsair »
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: June 28, 2015, 10:16:51 am »

Spoiler: PEW PEW lazorbeamz! (click to show/hide)

Aaaand out of time. Hope there's not too much spelling mistakes or unfinished sentences. Or really, really bad math. There probably is. Internet cookie for spotting mistakes!

Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 155