Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 164020 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #1425 on: June 24, 2015, 10:04:18 am »

I pretty much agree with Nik's statement, with the caveat that Fate is actually rather useful.  It seems to be the stat that's rolled for injuries you might avoid through sheer luck.  Remember STEPHEN HAWKING standing untouched in the middle of an explosion?  That's what I think Fate allows you to do.  Also, I'd point out that our system is more balanced than many, thanks to the rule that any skill with -2 will probably instakill you if you roll it.

@Xantalos

As Sean said, you died because you had multiple terrible rolls.  And a foolish action.  The best that could have gone for you was for you to realize 'oh, I'm stuck flying away at a high velocity, there's nothing I can do'.

Really, the only unavoidable roll was the AUX roll.  And you were pretty much warned about aux being necessary when you signed up for an EVA mission.

Quote from: Execute/Dumbo.exe
while having negative medical and being in a position without medics with, say, a broken arm, well...
Remember what happened to Spazyaks last character?

Spazyak was being an idiot there.  He intentionally used MED, despite it not possibly working out for him.  You can dump a stat, but you have to remember not to use it.  Even then, he rolled exceptionally poorly to permakill himself.  It was much more likely for him to simply murder himself in a reversable fashion.

Intu comes into play like at mission 19, I would say at least 1+ would be a good investment, as it would also help you out if someone was creeping up behind you, for example,

The problem is, even a good intu stat is difficult to use well.  On M19, three people rolled well, got a warning, and didn't heed that warning because it wasn't actually intuitive.

It's really really rare for enemies to sneak up on us.

and negative Aux is a bad choice for a full combat guy just because you want a battle-suit, or assault-suit, or whatever those young whippersnappers are calling it today.

Eh, sure.  Every single skill is potentially a dump stat, so aux being less of one doesn't mean much.

And charisma could also be used to help explain things to other teammates without others noticing, right?

What?  You mean like the situation on the boarding mission, where Flint was trying to quicktalk a guard sod while impersonating a crewmember?  It's extraordinarily rare for us to even get the chance to do that, and even then it's an easy situation to avoid if you have a penalty.

It's only a useful stat for ampers who want to MC enemies, and career blops people.  Even in the latter case, it's not a requirement, because jobs likely to require talking can just be assigned to more suitable people.

Oh, also, if you check my character's stats, the only stats I have a -2 in are strength, handi, con, and uncon.  Aside from strength (which I mitigate by having sods possess my body), all of those are entirely avoidable.  There's other dump stats (Like Gen.Know, intuition, and dexterity), but I didn't give them -2 because PW has already personally threatened me many time more than the average player, and those rolls aren't guaranteed to be avoidable.  Med would be dumped too, but Saint is a doctor in his backstory, and I just couldn't justify changing that.

...I wish I could swap that +1 from Fate to Endurance, though.  Oh well.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: June 24, 2015, 10:06:34 am »

I forgot I made med my dump stat, I thought I had aux as it. I also rolled a 1 on it anyways so 1-1 is 0.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: June 24, 2015, 10:12:45 am »

That's not how rolls work now, Spazy.  It's not 1-2 (which is more accurate, since you had a -2), it's 1(-2).  A 4(-2) would still have killed you, and a 6(-2) probably would have too, despite traditional RTD rules saying that should be a 4, I.E. a success.

...Also, AUX was your dump stat too.  And Gen.Know.  And Mind and Fate.  It's remarkable Zoltan didn't die during childbirth, or grade school...

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: June 24, 2015, 10:13:50 am »

That's not how rolls work now, Spazy.  It's not 1-2 (which is more accurate, since you had a -2), it's 1(-2).  A 4(-2) would still have killed you, and a 6(-2) probably would have too, despite traditional RTD rules saying that should be a 4, I.E. a success.

...Also, AUX was your dump stat too.  And Gen.Know.  And Mind and Fate.  It's remarkable Zoltan didn't die during childbirth, or grade school...
I really had no clue what I was doing. At all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sig-texts!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: June 24, 2015, 10:22:11 am »

Spazyak was being an idiot there.  He intentionally used MED, despite it not possibly working out for him.  You can dump a stat, but you have to remember not to use it.  Even then, he rolled exceptionally poorly to permakill himself.  It was much more likely for him to simply murder himself in a reversable fashion.

Actually, my guess is that anything under three would have been a permakill and 4/6 various flavors of temp dead, with 5 being maybe partial success still with downsides.  See:

A guy with -2 in med tried to set his broken arm and rolled a 1.

Luckily he didn't have any sort of explosives so he only managed to take himself out.

I heartily believe his threat, there.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: June 24, 2015, 10:29:29 am »

Nah, IIRC, death (well, perma-death especially!) is likely to happen on [1] (maybe also on [2], but not permanent, etc.); [3] is probably for maiming (like, [1] on +0 skill/stat, I think), and the above can actually grant a bit of success and/or shield you from your own ineptness. (I am speaking of -2 skill/stat level specifically).
That's the reason I still keep Maurice's painting hobby, despite him being clearly inept at Handiwork (-1 in current system). A good roll can get the job done, it's that the definition of "good roll" is narrower and narrower at the deeper end of stat/skill levels.

I pretty much agree with Nik's statement, with the caveat that Fate is actually rather useful.  It seems to be the stat that's rolled for injuries you might avoid through sheer luck.  Remember STEPHEN HAWKING standing untouched in the middle of an explosion?  That's what I think Fate allows you to do.  Also, I'd point out that our system is more balanced than many, thanks to the rule that any skill with -2 will probably instakill you if you roll it.
Then again, Mesk was in the middle of explosion, and he was a fucking Master of Fate, and look where it got him. But yeah, maybe a semi-dump-stat (to avoid being a bullet-magnet).
Also, technically, as I explained above, any skill with -2 can possibly instakill you if you roll [1] on it; but you are still right because the rules of narrative and Murphy's Law tell us that you will roll [1] on something that can instakill you with that particular roll. Just because the ERverse hates your guts, and Piecewise delights in torturing, and especially - torturing munchkins.  :P

A guy with -2 in med tried to set his broken arm and rolled a 1.

Luckily he didn't have any sort of explosives so he only managed to take himself out.
I heartily believe his threat, there.
... On the other hand, Toaster might be right, and Piecewise could have revised his table of "Roll results causing instakills for -2 stats" because that seemed like a nice idea.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: June 24, 2015, 12:18:38 pm »

...Huh, I looked it up, and you're right.  A -2 is only guaranteed tp be lethal on a roll of 1, and you're actually capable of succeeding to some extent on a 5.  I guess I overestimated PW's cruelty, which isn't all that surprising...

Anyway, Fate doesn't control whether you survive a hit, but whether you're going to be hit at all.  So if you're hot dropping, Fate will reduce the chance of you being hurt, and possibly the chance of your shuttle being hit at all.  Or if a sod's shooting at a group, Fate selects who gets shot.  Or the example with STEPHEN HAWKING, where who got hit with shrapnel was a random roll--It would be Fate now.  It probably even controls whether or not an overshooting teammate shoots you or the guy next to you, which is excessively valuable all on it's own.

AoEs that don't have notable randomness can't be avoided with Fate, nor can it avoid targeted attacks which are specifically aimed at you.  However, we have many, many, many instances of attacks which are semi-luck based.  So I think it's valuable.

(Not to mention that it probably has something to do with what the elder gods we'll be harnessing think of you.)

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: June 24, 2015, 01:01:17 pm »

Unrelated

Totally unrelated
So, it says on armory entry that AoW can be modified before purchase. What would you people say about possibility of the following upgrade: you take the Amplifier out of the configuration and replace it with another Enhanced capacity slot?
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: June 24, 2015, 01:04:51 pm »

Unrelated

Totally unrelated
So, it says on armory entry that AoW can be modified before purchase. What would you people say about possibility of the following upgrade: you take the Amplifier out of the configuration and replace it with another Enhanced capacity slot?
can I buy it with snu-snu from you?
GENERATION 31:
Sig-texts!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: June 24, 2015, 01:07:40 pm »

I was under the impression that Mesk died because his nanobot buddies kept trying to fix him despite his continued exposure to vacuum.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: June 24, 2015, 01:09:17 pm »

can I buy it with snu-snu from you?

I don't possess any of the depicted and will purchase those with tokens from armory, like it is supposed to be done, and I recommend you to do likewise.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: June 24, 2015, 01:13:21 pm »

Mind, comrade, I haven't had a chance to discuss the particulars of the blistol variant with pw. Shouldn't be much work, but still.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: June 24, 2015, 01:33:13 pm »

Mind, comrade, I haven't had a chance to discuss the particulars of the blistol variant with pw. Shouldn't be much work, but still.

Well, I wanted to order just one with some extra features for myself, hence triple price. I'm willing to pay up to 4 tokens for it, so I guess I'll get what I want in the end.
Sigs

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: June 24, 2015, 01:48:48 pm »

I was under the impression that Mesk died because his nanobot buddies kept trying to fix him despite his continued exposure to vacuum.
He died because he didn't have the constitution necessary to even have a chance to survive 14 nuclear blasts simultaneously, even with Pancaek's good rolls and group shield.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: June 24, 2015, 02:10:42 pm »

He died because he didn't have the constitution necessary to even have a chance to survive 14 nuclear blasts simultaneously, even with Pancaek's good rolls and group shield.
No, piecewise stated in the past that vacuum is SUPER BAD for his health.
Likely because his nanobots consume parts of his body to fix his injuries and the vacuum damages his skin and outer musculature constantly.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 155