Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 164142 times)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #1260 on: June 17, 2015, 12:47:49 pm »

Well, on the list of the worst thing we could to face is the AM's sister and a Titan. So I'm always trying to find ways to kill those things, since synthflesh and physics breaking is notoriously tough.
AHAHAHAHA But wait! What about STAN, Timmy, the Doctor, and Steve himself? And, you know, the old Altered, some kind of New Altered, as-of-yet-unknown Pandora's Box, Star Eater, Space Cthulhu That Is Coming, and Steve himself? Finally, Piecewise the GM, Random Number God, and, of course, Steve himself?
((... I am so sorry.))

@nik/forcefield sword.
Why stop at a vibrating monofilament when you have a hyper-rotational matter annihilator?

Seriously, its a postage stamp that can project a field a meter or so in front of it.
Why not set the filament to point at the target, offset it by 45° and rotate at ludicrous speeds so that you can bore a hole straight through the target or gouge out large chunks of material with every swing?
Yeah, I understand. The problem is whether we can actually have depth of forcefield that thin too.
You actually reminded me why I originally wanted to have that crescent monowire be asymmetrical: it works the same for other purposes, but if you start rotating it, it would absolutely mince everything. To compare with your example, it would be like adding a second filament to the first, but offsetting it by 30° instead. Fun ensues.

Don't know about synth-flesh, though. The synthflesh has that 'blood' that prevents major damage by regular vibrating monofilament wire, but this 'wire' (if it can be done, once again) is not made of matter and might be better.

@Paris That might work. Though see the above on synthflesh regarding its use against Avatars.
It actually reminds me that we are still lacking a proper "medium" missile launcher (bigger than Rocket Rifle, but smaller than that proposed "stinger" missile tube). We should see to the issue.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: June 17, 2015, 01:02:18 pm »

Did piecewise ever accept that system though? Because I thought that was the problem.

If it's not, then I don't see why it isn't being used. It's not like extra equipment is bad. If it gets used and is useful, good. If it looks like it's never going to be used, just put it in a dusty corner of the armoury page and forget about it.
The problem was with payment. I couldn't get people (the Council) to accept the equipment as being effectively "rented". When you bought the MACS, you would effectively buy "a license to wear one", and any given arrangement of gear on you would not be yours except by technicality. Tampering and disassembly came up - since the "core" suit was meant to be buyable separately as a Mk2 replacement, the extra gear like exoskeletons, rockets et al, would cost far less for the assembled suit than individually.

The idea was to have a Mk2 replacement that people did not have to trade in when upgrading to armored exoskeletons a-la Mk3, combined with adjustable loadouts for said Mk3, like variants on a Battlesuit.

Maybe I should draft up a MACS system that is just that, a set of variants. Extra modularity can be handled case-by-case later, I guess.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1262 on: June 17, 2015, 01:10:02 pm »

@Nik: Well, I'll rephrase that as: "The worst things I could face in ground combat that I have any info about their specifics." Because I can start building a spaceship killer, hell even a god killer, but unless I know anything about said god, I can't do much more than the standard "Get the thing that works best against space magic, combine it with something that deals massive to mundane stuff and make so big people will think you're definitely compensating for something." Something like a Dyson sphere made out of synthflesh that is controlled by a ghost-ship-like group of amp-capable humans. Which would probably end up being a self-fulfilling prophecy, since the thing I described sounds terrifying. And exactly like the kind of crazy extravagant thing the UWM would do.

EDIT: @SM: Or just release the modular system and have people trade modules like trading cards. The modular system works when it is regarded as a long term investment, something you'll buy now and then slowly add to in the future, perhaps by accepting parts by other players who don't need them anymore. I believe I described a volunteer-based system like that in more detail back when the system was first proposed.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 01:12:10 pm by Parisbre56 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: June 17, 2015, 01:17:17 pm »

The inherent problem of modular is that each component will be more expensive than when bought as part of a suit. As modularity goes up, so does price for a 'full suit', up to the point it's so expensive it isn't affordable or cannot compete with more focussed items. Sean tried to find a way to lower the price, but it didn't work out, we couldn't find an agreable midway. One thing we proposed was that he could lower the modularity, bringing more things into the base suit, to lower the costs.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: June 17, 2015, 01:47:16 pm »

Well, anyways, I want to get the basic outline for the AMMT(armored mobile medical transport) down. If we can get a system of some modularity, that would be nice, but I'll wait on that for the AMMT.

Speaking of missile launcher, since we are winding down with the missions and the basic specs and price for the Kugelblitz were agreed on, will it be included in the prototypes sent to the Sword?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: June 17, 2015, 01:51:36 pm »

Well, if we wanna do this as a collaboration, i might be a good idea to divide the work a bit in a structured way, so this thing doesn't go down that path of much talk, but no results. Basically, tryar, what you could do is ask pw about various features a medical suite could have and at what price, but leave alone for now things like chassis or armor, just focus on that 1 module.

As for that other thing, I advise you put it on the prototypes list on the wiki. Not sure if it'll get a free prototype though, check with pw.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: June 17, 2015, 01:53:21 pm »

Well, if we wanna do this as a collaboration, i might be a good idea to divide the work a bit in a structured way, so this thing doesn't go down that path of much talk, but no results. Basically, tryar, what you could do is ask pw about various features a medical suite could have and at what price, but leave alone for now things like chassis or armor, just focus on that 1 module.

As for that other thing, I advise you put it on the prototypes list on the wiki. Not sure if it'll get a free prototype though, check with pw.

Good idea. I'll get the med equipment nailed down, you do the parts that haul around the med equipment :P

Also, yeah I'll get the kugelblitz on the prototypes page asap
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: June 17, 2015, 01:57:54 pm »

Ok, but I can't tinker on irc until monday or so, so yeah.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: June 17, 2015, 02:05:37 pm »

Ok, but I can't tinker on irc until monday or so, so yeah.

That's fine.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: June 17, 2015, 02:12:05 pm »

Also, yeah I'll get the kugelblitz on the prototypes page asap
Please wait.
RC, why are you confusing the people? The prototyping decision-making is done by the Head of Engineering.

Actually, let's review the whole process (some of wiki writers might want to put it on wiki somewhere, on Tinker page or something):
First, the item in question is worked out with Piecewise (it might or might not get explicitly approved at this step; if yes, skip the next and go to the last).
Then it is approved by the Council and Piecewise.
Then it is approved for prototyping by the Head of Engineering.
And after successful prototyping (with or without some last-minute changes) it gets to the Armory.

Now, I don't want to sound mean or bureaucratic, but I was instructed by PyroDesu himself on the details and importance of that last step of prototyping approval, and my professional honor rests on making such calls with all consideration.
(Reviewing the Tinker thread, it appears that I asked all the designers to post the details once again, but only the Hoverboard details were re-posted.)
So, tryrar, could you please quote the relevant data on your design? Also, just to confirm, have you had it approved by Piecewise?
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: June 17, 2015, 02:15:49 pm »

Sorry nik, I thought it had jumped through all the hoops already, didn't mean to undercut the paperwork or your job. NEVER DOUBT THE PAPERWORK!

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: June 17, 2015, 02:40:49 pm »

Here you go nik:

Spoiler: blaster pistol (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: blueshard rifle (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Blaster Bazooka (click to show/hide)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: June 17, 2015, 02:41:05 pm »

What all is awaiting prototyping, anyway?

What I know of is the Blaster weapons, the AS with integrated PEWs, the hoverboard, the Kugelblitz... the MkIII-A. Was there much else?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: June 17, 2015, 02:46:41 pm »

Sharkmist medkits.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: June 17, 2015, 02:48:29 pm »

@Sean Mythril Penetrator, I recall. Also, the MCP undershirt (which I am still putting off to write up, eugh, and will probably ask Pyro to confirm prototyping for the sake of impartial decision).

@tryrar I remember that the prices were lower, weren't they? Also, what is the effective range of those missiles? (Checking to confirm the avoidance of 1/8th kiloton blast)

@Radio Controlled You're making me look up the logs of our heated debates, and the power calculations. The battery clip/power of shot weren't that nice and rounded, I remember that vividly.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 02:51:17 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 155