Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 164232 times)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #990 on: April 21, 2015, 04:21:02 am »

Thank you!

I really like the division since it breaks up the otherwise wall of text into readable chunks, but I struggled to understand where, say, those "shade creatures" from Mission 6 would go. Incidentally, quite a lot of stuff can go swimmingly from "Specimens" to "Samples" and back (Abyss sand, living crystals, flesh samples, sharkmist etc.), and even to/from "Artifacts" (glowworm gun, Milno's powersource, etc.); and then there is also the soundworm that breaches the seemingly impregnable wall separating "Data" from the rest (or it would, if captured intact, anyway).

So far, I have not been able to come up with a meaningful classification; the best shot I currently have is "if it came in a container, it's a material sampe/specimen; if it came as information only, it's data; anything else, and it's an artifact". It's about as useful as it sounds, unfortunately.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: April 21, 2015, 04:30:53 am »

I don't think we have "shade creatures" from M6. Faith tried to capture some, but her attempts failed.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #992 on: April 21, 2015, 04:33:16 am »

Maybe they mean the ones from the holes in the ground? Did they capture those?

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: April 21, 2015, 04:36:34 am »

Maybe they mean the ones from the holes in the ground? Did they capture those?
From Pitted lands? No, nobody captured those either.  Only living thing they captured was micro-servitors, and those are already turned into weapon.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: April 21, 2015, 05:14:18 am »

Didn't we capture the shade ones from the start area? I remembered that we did; a living one and and remains of another one.

What we did not capture (and what I am still a bit sad over) is a tissue sample of one of those large animals. Oh well.

Just checked debriefing: apparently, Faith brought in an artifact; don't have the slightest memory of it, unfortunately. Archive diving will have to commence.

EDIT: Okay, there have been at least five containers with which shades were tried to be captured (Faith:3, Milno:1, Mason:1) and not one of them weighted anything. It was confirmed for Faith that "the box is empty", but this might or might not include other boxes.

Now I wonder whether it'd be possible to mount a second expedition into the Samsonite Abyss with express purpose of capturing everything we missed. The shades, the stilt-walkers, the black fluid of the Light-Eater, even the fucking Wyrm - and get to the city we never reached. At least, knowing what awaits us there we might prepare a whole lot better.
The main reason for this expedition being that if half of our current developments uses the Abyss sand, what other wonders could we have uncovered there?..
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 05:30:37 am by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: April 21, 2015, 06:37:25 am »

It's fair to assume other boxes were empty as well.

There was some handy material at bottom of the pitts, but we have no IC knowledge about those. Hephaestus could launch expeditionary mission on their own. Take some sods, develope sonic weapons for them, give them basic training about the area and go.
Old sigs.
Games.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: April 21, 2015, 07:20:11 am »

Hey, so I just found this one random quote while looking through mission 14 because it's late and I need something to read and I found this:
>Sort of. Burnout amps are more powerful and easier to use then normal amps but they actively damage brain tissue through use. They're rarely used, as such, and I don't believe they've even been produced for centuries.
This is from reply #320, by the way, I can't directly quote from locked threads, but looking at this, would it be possible to have temp use burnout manips? Just grab a brain, but instead of the price dictating how much it can handle before it starts to go on the fritz like the brains we have now for normal manips, it can instead work like 'the more mind, the more and easier it can do shit' while it will always have a concrete 'degradation level' with no chance of recovering.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #997 on: April 21, 2015, 07:20:25 am »

Assuming the portal still exists. And assuming the light eaters we revived don't get violent.

It would be easier to just launch robots to start ripping the snow globe world apart or send especially shielded crews on special hover vessels to try and find what the sharkmist built.

@ED: Like a manipulator that's more powerful but doesn't replenish it's ammo when left alone? And constantly gets more unstable and dangerous to use?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:23:22 am by Parisbre56 »

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: April 21, 2015, 07:31:59 am »

@ED: Like a manipulator that's more powerful but doesn't replenish it's ammo when left alone? And constantly gets more unstable and dangerous to use?
And easier to use... In the short term.
Alan help.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #999 on: April 21, 2015, 07:34:04 am »

I think manipulators are no longer magic calculators. You just input the parameters and hit execute. So since there are no math, you can't really make it easier.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: April 21, 2015, 07:35:23 am »

Well, not easier, just... Less prone to failure? I guess?
Alan help.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: April 21, 2015, 01:47:06 pm »

@Nik: Yeah, my intention is basically *just* to split the walls of text. That's a lot of what Wiki organization is about, is splitting walls of text into readable and findable subunits. I need to do a pass on the Heph page with this in mind... :P

It's intended as a sort of 'triage' categorization method for new items. As in, if Steve were sending these things for research, how would you label them pre-research? Well, you'd label anything that required 'special handling' on mission an Artifact, anything else physical a Sample, and any data taken without an accompanying sample as Data. This gives you an at-a-glance impression of what you need to do to start research on each item, and you can always update their classification as things progress, or even use a different classification scheme.

I may change the 'materials' label to 'samples', though. That sounds more accurate to what I'd like it to be, but you may find it more useful to separate it out into a couple more categories.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: April 21, 2015, 09:26:07 pm »

Hey Sean, guess what: WE'RE FREE!.. to do what the Doctor wants us to do outside this conversation.
Past Sigs

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: April 22, 2015, 08:22:28 am »

Writing up blaster line of laserweapons. First writeup, subject to change.

Spoiler: Blaster Pistol (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Blaster Rifle (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Blaster Bazooka (click to show/hide)

Comments on the features of the weapon, the specs or my desert-dry writing style welcome.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: April 22, 2015, 09:33:50 am »

I'd say that when viewed as-is, the cost progression for the ammo does not make sense. The pistol shard costs 1 token alone, and fully discharges to about a cutting laser's strength. The rifle's shard costs 2 token, and fires with an equivalent of 10 cutting laser pulses. The Bazooka (I still prefer Cannon) fires, presumably, an even more powerful shot - but, even with the cooling block extra, costs 1 token.

Gonna have to find some way of stopping people from buying the Bazooka clips to power their Rifles, if you go this way.

Otherwise, i.e. stat-wise. A "standard laser pulse", as far as I've known in this game, is about 5 seconds. I'm using this just to get some numberable data here. The standard Laser Rifle battery provides enough power for 24 5-second pulses, and costs 1 token. The standard Cutting Laser battery provides power for 12 "standard pulses", and costs 2 token.

Now, taking into account that blueshards aren't necessarily cheaper per unit storage, and these are going for compact rather that efficient, balancing game mechanics and fluff is going to be tricky. Bear in mind, production costs don't factor as much into token costs, and while we would like to phase out the old Laser weapons on the battlefield, doing so within the token economy is probably not what we want to do.

Here's my take on possible balance:

Blaster Pistol - 1 token cost, 1 token per 20 shots (instead of equivalent 24 of Laser Rifle). Note that the weapon is cheaper to buy than the Laser Rifle (2 token), and while it has compactness on its side, I think the lack of cutting ability reduces its utility enough to allow the lower cost for comparable number of shots.

Blaster Rifle - 4 token cost, 2 token per 10 shots (instead of equivalent 12 of Cutting Laser). The weapon is, again, half as expensive as its nominal power equivalent (Cutting Laser, 8 token), and with notably lower requirements as well. With the same reduction in utility, I think this is the most balanced of the proposed designs.

Blaster Bazooka - 6 token cost, 2 token per shot. The weapon has no direct power equivalent in Armory weapons, the closest being the PEW.
While 2 token per shot may seem expensive, the much lower buy-in cost would allow potential buyers to pack much more heat for the same initial cost. I think it goes well with its description as a "bazooka" - the namesake weapon is itself a cheap launch tube, with the ammo being the more important part. Likewise, comparing to its closest equivalent, the PEW, the weapon is half as expensive (at least) to purchase, while its ammo is slightly less cost-efficient per shot, yet has similar destructive power. The difference in utility is once again there, in a different way (the firing as a HEP without ammo thing), but it is one that I think the PEW could probably be corrected for, rather than the Bazooka. Keeping the ammo cost at 2 token keeps the cost curve in the series more level (the Rifle can put out a similar blast, it just melts with it), and prevents its abuse by creative tinkerers.

That's my take on it. :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 09:37:11 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 155