Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 164357 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #840 on: March 20, 2015, 08:28:31 am »

You mean going to crap about the time I show up?  Glad I could help!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 20, 2015, 10:41:31 am »

Okay, so since I've been interested in designing a Mk IV for quite some time now (and MCP-III is really on the horizon already), I am going to ask:
With MCP-III, are we going to go in the venue of MCP-II (same systems plus superfluous 'free' upgrades for decreased cost), or are we going to assert it as the peak of MCP suit model line?
Because I can see it go both ways. Actually, with the former variant maybe even a couple of Sean's Mk-IIIA ideas could be borrowed (seeing that he managed to keep the suit cheap in the end) - and still make an 'ultimate' MCP-IV.
Decreasing the token cost increases the market - but, as Milno's example stands, there is still going to be at least some market for "premium package spacesuit". Off the top of the head, the suit prices could be 0-3-9(10)-15(16) for MCP-I through IV series.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 20, 2015, 05:10:56 pm »

Thank you Sword and Sean!  To make it easier for future searching, and just easier to peruse in general, I decided to snip most of the non-tinker stuff out of the log.  I also did some minor editing of the order, to make things read a bit easier.  I tried to avoid cutting out anything useful that might be referenced in the future, and minimized changing of actual text.

Spoiler: Snipped chatlog (click to show/hide)

Overall opinion of this method: low.  We got more done than in a typical update, but I think we also were only going to do one of these a week, so that's a net loss.  Also, there's less thought put into individual ideas, and less time for other people to comment on things.  That will make assigning good work orders more difficult, and generally will make good equipment slower to design.

Other, non-tinkerer people jumped in towards the end, and were... distracting.  I'm not sure if that's a real problem though; the tinker was already slowing down by then, so they might've just been filling a void.

I really, really hope that we don't do it as late next time.  I got tired pretty quickly, and I would have gotten tired even sooner if my sleeping schedule weren't entirely messed up.

@Nik

I'm not really sure what you're asking about the MCP.III, and I don't know what an MCP.IV would be.

My current opinion is that our 'MCP.III' shouldn't be an MCP at all.  Rather, it should just be the exoskeleton and rocket systems that an MK.III has, which can be worn over an MCP.I or II.  That way, it's cheaper for robots, and those people who buy IIs before the IIIs don't have to sell their previous suit at a loss.

I'm also against directly including armor in the basic design, like Sean did with the Aero, because it probably makes other armor harder to use with it.  What if a person started with a sharksuit?  Should they just throw it away when they get a III?  What if a veteran with old armor is getting the new flight system?  Should they throw away that armor?

Of course, it might not actually mean anything; maybe PW will let people layer protectorate armor on top of milnoplate or something.  We'd have to ask.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 20, 2015, 06:00:37 pm »

On the subject of the shark suit's description:

Only in the HMRC/ARM are 50mm semi-automatic railguns considered to be 'small arms'
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 20, 2015, 06:21:08 pm »

@syv
Yeah, this is strong case for any straight Mk-III replacement to be an upgrade to MCP-II. Also, no, I don't mean armoring the suits; since the sharksuit and Milnoplate exist, there is probably no reason for that.

What I had in mind for Mk-IV suit was to cardinally expand the supporting systems of the suit, while keeping it themed as "personal man-sized suit". Maybe using the upgraded exoskeleton (back then I thought of using +2; now that the new exoskeleton generation has arrived and might completely replace the standard one shipped with Mk-III equivalent, maybe even +3 or something). Perhaps adding a way to mechanically increase Dex of the user (I've tried once in Tinker, it did not work, but maybe a different approach would). Potentially installing a whole personal assistant wetware AI (some kind of 'preparation' bonus? 'tactical advice'? I don't know). Possibly in-built MMI for better and more precise suit control (especially if the user is incapacitated). Maybe making additional arms (or mechanical tentacles), tech-priest style.
Completely new and cool options (that require intensive discussion and consideration, of course) in the vein of Mk II to Mk III transition. That sort of things.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 21, 2015, 01:05:20 am »

And the Aero-MkIII does not have armor as such. It has so little lift capacity that using it with heavier armor is counterproductive, and even then all armor it has on the actual wearer is the hexsand chestplate. The only other armor is covering the vulnerable fan ducts and their articulation joints.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: March 21, 2015, 12:09:00 pm »

@Dorsi

Actually, a gauss rifle is a 20mm coilgun.  Not that that makes it any less amusing, considering 20mm is still categorized as anti-tank caliber.

Nanosharks, man.

@Nik

All of those except for the wetware and extra arms would likely be a part of the... Jetpack module?  Mk.III replacement thing.  Exoskeleton is obvious, Mk.IIIs already enhance dex, and the MMI will hopefully become a standard item, and even if it doesn't, it's still a good item to add.

I don't think extra arms are an important addition, although the wetware AI could be... The MMI can disable your commands to your own body, so perhaps it can send it's own?  We could sell an entirely seperate sod brain, which can possess the user for a period of time.  Certainly something to look into.

@Sean

Oh, sorry, I had thought the entire suit had hexsand plating.  I like your idea of armoring the flight components.  Maybe we could armor those by default, since hexsand is cheap, and it won't get in the way of other armor types.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #847 on: March 21, 2015, 06:01:03 pm »

I asked piecewise some questions about the new guns Aresteve developed in IRC. I'm just going to post what we know about them here so that they can be reviewed by the council or whoever else needs to review them and ask about details or decide things. Unknown parts bolded. I'll try asking piecewise in IRC if I am still awake at the time.

The reason I am trying to get them sent to the Sword for next mission is because they currently appear to be very good secondary weapons, especially because of their ability to ignore armour.

Spoiler: Mindfuckgun (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Telegun (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 06:43:12 pm by Parisbre56 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: March 21, 2015, 10:07:16 pm »

Re Mindfuck Gun: Does it affect all targets in the beam equally, or will hitting one person "shield" someone behind them?

EDIT:  I missed some good stuff in that chatlog, looks like; especially reminding me of this RTD.  Good times.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 10:27:04 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 23, 2015, 06:56:01 pm »

@Council Representatives
So, uh, anything about the proposed changes to post-fieldtest prototype trading? Because it seems that people might be very interested with the upcoming missions in mind. ((At least Syvarris supports this idea, and possibly more people as well.))
Spoiler: Quick Recap (click to show/hide)

Also, basic MCP suits - have they been tested enough to become the standard equipment (and everyone gets one instead of the old Mk I with the latest supply shipment to the Sword)?

Edit:By the way, so do the MCP-II go to the shipping manifest this time? The consensus seems 'Yes', but on the wiki page they are missing. Edit#2: Ah, it seems they got to the prototype pool directly, circumventing the whole shipping manifest. See what I was talking about earlier? :P
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 07:04:19 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: March 24, 2015, 06:54:12 am »

@Council Representatives
So, uh, anything about the proposed changes to post-fieldtest prototype trading? Because it seems that people might be very interested with the upcoming missions in mind. ((At least Syvarris supports this idea, and possibly more people as well.))
Spoiler: Quick Recap (click to show/hide)

Also, basic MCP suits - have they been tested enough to become the standard equipment (and everyone gets one instead of the old Mk I with the latest supply shipment to the Sword)?

Edit:By the way, so do the MCP-II go to the shipping manifest this time? The consensus seems 'Yes', but on the wiki page they are missing. Edit#2: Ah, it seems they got to the prototype pool directly, circumventing the whole shipping manifest. See what I was talking about earlier? :P

From ooc thread:
Depending on how many survived, up to three Radugas and Spektrs each may be available. However only a few will be passed out for the second round of testing, the rest will have to be purchased. Either Piecewise or Radio Controlled should have the answer to how many are available for free, and how much the non-free ones will cost.

I put it before the council and they said that they think the weapons have been tested enough that they should just be put into the armory, and thus end their trial run. Personally, I'm inclined to agree. I mean, there's gonna be quite some other stuff coming in as well, so it's not like there won't be any freebies. and if people really can't afford a weapon the team fund might lend a hand.

As for what to do with the prototypes, here the council said they also think they should just go to the AM and be sold normally.

Not at all, although I don't believe I get to choose who gets which.  It's probably either first-come first-serve, or Radio picks.

Yeah, Miya is gonna go over those again. Is easy, and allows us to hand out stuff according to need (eg joker peeps will have preference, since their mission is more critical). Gonna wait with allocating till i know the team compositions.

Also, are you implyig there has been... a slight clerical error?

D:

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: March 24, 2015, 07:49:10 am »

Yes! And it's those clerical errors, when they accumulate enough, that cause deaths of untold billions! And slight financial gain of unscrupulous quartermasters!

Seriously though, well, what a bummer. I kind of hoped it would also set precedent for how the non-token assets of team fund should get around. I mean, all the deceased people's stuff and various loot is just sitting there without any use whatsoever. Now, jeeps might get used in a mission eventually, med supplies should get around, but most of the stuff is just going to remain there as dead weight, it appears. And unless glorious revolutionaries start making last wills (that specify directly to whom their equipment goes, rather than donating it to the team fund once again), that pile of assorted stuff is just going to grow.

Also, I just totally remembered that the medical supplies pool should also be added to wiki. And then the pile of heads too. So, is the 'Team Fund' page really for team fund as described on the main page, or for all the funds and pools of the game as described on the page itself? So far, the prototypes pool tacitly coexisted with team fund, and look how much confusion it brought us. Probably high time for page contents reorganisation.
Past Sigs

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: March 24, 2015, 07:56:36 am »

Also, are you implyig there has been... a slight clerical error?

Lars hasn't done anything wrong.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: March 24, 2015, 08:10:30 am »

Yes! And it's those clerical errors, when they accumulate enough, that cause deaths of untold billions! And slight financial gain of unscrupulous quartermasters!

Seriously though, well, what a bummer. I kind of hoped it would also set precedent for how the non-token assets of team fund should get around. I mean, all the deceased people's stuff and various loot is just sitting there without any use whatsoever. Now, jeeps might get used in a mission eventually, med supplies should get around, but most of the stuff is just going to remain there as dead weight, it appears. And unless glorious revolutionaries start making last wills (that specify directly to whom their equipment goes, rather than donating it to the team fund once again), that pile of assorted stuff is just going to grow.

Also, I just totally remembered that the medical supplies pool should also be added to wiki. And then the pile of heads too. So, is the 'Team Fund' page really for team fund as described on the main page, or for all the funds and pools of the game as described on the page itself? So far, the prototypes pool tacitly coexisted with team fund, and look how much confusion it brought us. Probably high time for page contents reorganisation.
Alright then, if you want to be so uppity about it I can't see the trouble with taking some stuff from the newbie trust oh hey golly gee is this a Fission Instigator? Wow, people are really getting into the charitable spirit today aren't they!

That reminds me, actually, I had a lot of stuff written up for mission... 4, I believe, to flesh it out, wonder where I put all that, probably deleted it accidentally, now that I think about it.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 24, 2015, 08:50:06 am »

Nope. 'Giving things for free' is exactly what I wanted to avoid, as a rule (except maybe for 'no last will' cases). It's that if stuff is sold at base price, there is no incentive (bar that of roleplaying or something) to buy things from token fund rather than from the Armory. Well, AM even offers equipment customization at times! So the team fund should probably offer discount (and discernible one at that) to offer any competition to the AM. Which should not be seen as any problem for the economy in the long run since Steve's supplies are inexhaustible and get replenished often, while team fund equipment list is limited and fairly rare (not to mention completely unpredictable) to expand. (There could have been some problem with prototypes, but since their case is decided separately already, there is no reason to be concerned anymore.)
[I've had a long rant about team funds getting intermixed and no longer serving their original purposes, but resisted getting sucked in for now. I'll finish it up later, but for now it's suffice to say that for some equipment currently there it is exactly right to be given out for free, and for other it is of priority to be sold and converted to tokens.]
Past Sigs
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 155