Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 164281 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #510 on: February 16, 2015, 05:09:02 am »

Dub the completed suit the Badgersuit, until somebody gets annoyed and renames it.

Yeaaaah, let's go for something different, shall we? Would simply 'medium armor suit' be to bland?

((We've got a free construction crew.  Dunno what to do with it.  tired.  Also, wondering what I should do about the new head system on the wiki page.  Is this something that won't be official till Nik arrives, or is it immediate without any RP or what?

We could build a dedicated armor production line for thz various new armor suits. Or one for mass producing weapons and ammo for export.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 05:11:25 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: February 16, 2015, 05:17:26 am »

Or we could just start building laser cannon arrays for Q'baja defenses.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: February 16, 2015, 06:28:04 am »

See! Someone does take the new position responsibilities seriously! :P
That said, what about that new 'high-density energy research installation' or whatever-it-was Sean wanted to start working on earlier? It sounded promising.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: February 16, 2015, 07:10:52 am »

See! Someone does take the new position responsibilities seriously! :P
That said, what about that new 'high-density energy research installation' or whatever-it-was Sean wanted to start working on earlier? It sounded promising.
The high-energy research labs would have been used for weapons such as the Graser, and ship-scale variants of smaller weapons, plus new power systems that may be dangerous to test in vicinity to our base. It would also have been used to give Anton some private research space where he could work on semi-secret projects of his own.

As it turns out, Aresteve has some discrete (and discreet) research facilities already, so the latter is probably no longer a concern. And unless somebody starts to care about the handling of high-power artifacts and very-high-energy weapons, I think the high-energy labs will not end up being needed.

Not until Anton starts his next secret project, at least. Although I wouldn't want to pass up the chance to let PW inject some excitement into our boring Heph-based lives. :)

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: February 16, 2015, 01:53:12 pm »

Oh, and I forgot to mention - could someone give me a condensed version of what's been going on on Hephaestus since about January 17? I'd like to try and get back into it as soon as possible, and reading through things that have already happened can get confusing.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: February 16, 2015, 02:09:58 pm »

I don't think much of all was accomplished since then, besides the usual tinkering. New projects mostly stayed in limbo, and expansion continued as usual (i.e. new fleshpits, more sods, etc).

Anton made a VOS(k)HOD weapon, basically a HEP that can have its output beam compressed to various degrees, proportionally increasing penetration. He then gave it to a science crew that is currently making strides in improving on his slapdash design.

Anton is designing a pair of next-generation combat ship classes, using multi-aperture X-Ray free-electron lasers, and an enormous gamma-ray FEL for primary weapons systems of the two respective designs. He'll be done in a week or two.

Anton has designed a cheap flight suit for planetary forces, based off advanced rechargeable batteries and electric ducted fans, but the design is stuck in Council limbo.

Some artifacts have been researched, most interesting one being the blueraditite from the planetoid mission, which is a super-efficient albeit super-radioactive battery.

Saint has been making new robots, suits, and robot suits - the Assault Suit (aka Battlesuit 2.0), the Heavy Robot Body (aka braincase-Battlesuit), the Badgersuit (aka Milnoplate MkIII), the Sharksuit (aka regenerating Civic Defenders Longcoat 2.0), and... that's probably it. He's been at the forefront of personal defense equipment lately.

Charles mostly spent time fruitlessly interrogating Leo.

I probably missed a few developments here and there.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: February 16, 2015, 02:19:28 pm »

Why not call your VOS(k)HOD as High Energy Projector Additional Piercing, ie. HEPAP which kinda sounds like kebab with a leap of logic.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: February 16, 2015, 02:49:52 pm »

Because that's the only remotely sane-sounding acronym I could come up with? :P

Variable-Output, Superc(k)ooled High-energy Offensive Device.

Plus Anton is mostly Russian or comes from a society with Russian heritage, and Voskhod means "Sunrise".

Naming it HEP-anything makes it sound like a new strain of hepatitis.

Of course, that wasn't the only one I came up with. I had another one that I came up with as a joke, but if you insist on knowing:

Directed Energy Beam that Isn't a Laser Cannon.

Better? :P

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: February 16, 2015, 05:10:51 pm »

Charles also requested access to Xan so he can have the appearance of flesh.
*pokity*
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: February 16, 2015, 05:15:29 pm »

So would you guys like to do it the way sean suggested? Ie every time I post we do a roll on all the "NPC" run projects. Good rolls bring things forward, medium ones keep pace, bad ones represent delays or setbacks. Science teams could be used to give bonuses to rolls. It might make things faster, and give you more feedback.

I personally would vote no, I think it'd make things more complicated. I mean, if we have trouble keeping the wiki page updated, how do you think we'll fare with this? Sure, it's not entirely realistic, but it's simple and straightforward.

Or we could just start building laser cannon arrays for Q'baja defenses.

Also fine by me. Feel free to overrule crew assignment if need be.

Charles also requested access to Xan so he can have the appearance of flesh.
*pokity*

We might want to first set up a system how potentially dangerous projects/actions like that are handled.

Because that's the only remotely sane-sounding acronym I could come up with?
Why not call it the Piercing Energy Weapon?

Pew pew!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 05:20:01 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: February 16, 2015, 05:59:39 pm »

It would be interesting if you adapted that weapon for a sniper rifle, kinda like the LESHO, but with lasers.
Course, being sneaky with it would be out of the question when the PEW would need to vent all of its heats in a superheated blast of coolant.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #521 on: February 16, 2015, 09:13:33 pm »

So what do people who want to go to Hephaestus do now? How does it work with the new system of governance?
Because I've been wanting to help out with Hephaestus for a long time. Plus, now it makes sense from an IC perspective.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: February 16, 2015, 11:12:46 pm »

So what do people who want to go to Hephaestus do now? How does it work with the new system of governance?
Because I've been wanting to help out with Hephaestus for a long time. Plus, now it makes sense from an IC perspective.

You could pick an admin to sub under, I suppose. But there will only be the 4/5 (I suppose Emp as Admin of HR is kinda one, but he doesn't really do projects or control workgroups, so he's kind of a weird, different kind).
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: February 17, 2015, 02:07:59 am »

So would you guys like to do it the way sean suggested? Ie every time I post we do a roll on all the "NPC" run projects. Good rolls bring things forward, medium ones keep pace, bad ones represent delays or setbacks. Science teams could be used to give bonuses to rolls. It might make things faster, and give you more feedback.

I personally would vote no, I think it'd make things more complicated. I mean, if we have trouble keeping the wiki page updated, how do you think we'll fare with this? Sure, it's not entirely realistic, but it's simple and straightforward.
Actually, how difficult is it to maintain character stats every update? This is far less work than that. Plus if it's done every update instead of every X days, it's kept in focus - so not as likely to be accidentally forgotten.

Because that's the only remotely sane-sounding acronym I could come up with?
Why not call it the Piercing Energy Weapon?

Pew pew!
Bwahaha. But of course! :D

The successor to the HEP - the PEW! That's just perfect. ;D
Still needs a name though. I think I'll keep the sunrise thing and call it the Zarya. But the PEW stays.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 02:09:39 am by Sean Mirrsen »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #524 on: February 17, 2015, 08:36:55 am »

You could pick an admin to sub under, I suppose. But there will only be the 4/5 (I suppose Emp as Admin of HR is kinda one, but he doesn't really do projects or control workgroups, so he's kind of a weird, different kind).
Oh, that's good. I was hoping I could just come there and help everybody, but this also works.

Hey, syvarris, Sean, Empiricist, Nikitian! Any of you need a helper/lackey? You know, someone to help with things? Talk about projects? Delegate work to? Bring you coffee?

For Sean, I've got some ideas about how to fix a security hole you have right now that will become more important later. And establishing that network of QEC sensors I've been suggesting since forever.

For Empiricist, I am willing to work to help make contact with other planets. Two people working at it at the same time means twice the chances of success. Plus, I've got some good ideas I'd like to explore about improving our propaganda campaign.

For Nikitian, I could help research Nyars artefacts, since you can't just give those to a science crew. And since I've worked with one of the artefacts you're receiving for two missions now and know all that is known about it, I could research it much more quickly.

For Syvarris, I could provide more materials to work with for expanding/creating stuff. Or just work on modifying/improving designs, like he does. Talk about designs and stuff. I've got some ideas for making LESHO/Gauss Cannon artillery cheaper/more effective, an APC chassis that can result in various models for different tasks, a weapon that could be used against large automanipulator-defended ships, etc.

And I don't know what division that falls under, but I've got ideas I would like to research for ways and equipment that could be used to make the lives of our black ops teams easier and allow us to deploy teams to other planets covertly if necessary, without the need for the Sword itself to make its way there. Or research ways and equipment to make the lives of our science teams easier. Generally make it so that our Stealth and Science teams doesn't have to use the same equipment as our Military teams. And give the people of Hephaestus a way to reach other planets if there is ever a need for face-to-face diplomatic talks or for some other reason.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 155