Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 163674 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2014, 10:12:18 pm »

Spoiler: Sod Divisions (click to show/hide)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2014, 10:48:11 pm »

@Sean: You can always build smaller pieces of the ship on the ground and assemble them in orbit.

Considering that the ship is apparently larger than a light cruiser, we might not have the required lifting power to haul even small pieces of it up into orbit. It'll be easier and faster to help the orbital facility become operational quicker. (Expanding the ground facility is sadly a worse option, because while being able to build larger ships on the ground is nice, our mass driver is built to the same spec. We don't really need a larger ground yard if we'll have the orbital yard.)

Plus it doesn't quite work well with my intended evil plan of action. :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2014, 12:47:21 am »

@Sean: You can always build smaller pieces of the ship on the ground and assemble them in orbit.

Considering that the ship is apparently larger than a light cruiser, we might not have the required lifting power to haul even small pieces of it up into orbit. It'll be easier and faster to help the orbital facility become operational quicker. (Expanding the ground facility is sadly a worse option, because while being able to build larger ships on the ground is nice, our mass driver is built to the same spec. We don't really need a larger ground yard if we'll have the orbital yard.)

Plus it doesn't quite work well with my intended evil plan of action. :)

Might want to try and find some way to hide those FTL components. Simus might be a bit confused to see that we're getting some even while we're building (or have built, depending) the facilities to produce them ourselves. At the very least, she'll ask you why you ordered in parts without saying anything - you're in charge of the fleet, after all.

Also, just an idle thought - I wonder if, if we chose to (not likely, Simus is fairly happy with her lot, and I would think Anton and probably Saint are too) not support Steve anymore, if he could take Hephaestus a second time?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 12:55:57 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2014, 01:00:29 am »

He could tell ARESTEVE to shut everything down and release Xan, presumably. Plus they have all the other murderhobos that took Heph in the first place, I think they could do it.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2014, 01:05:26 am »

He could tell ARESTEVE to shut everything down and release Xan, presumably. Plus they have all the other murderhobos that took Heph in the first place, I think they could do it.

I think we could disconnect Aresteve again if we felt like it. It might have to be a... violent disconnect, but possible. If by murderhobos you mean the other players, I give one reason (or, multiple, if we did rebel against the rebels): Hammer(s) of Hephaestus. I bet we could stop the Sword itself from getting close, and smaller craft like shuttles and pods are a lot easier to clean up. Even if they got to land, we know how they operate and can respond in kind.

As for releasing Xan, that reminds me, I need to put a chip in Xan3's brain. Same as in Xan2.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 01:09:20 am by PyroDesu »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2014, 01:06:20 am »

Well, whenever he's released at least.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2014, 01:14:16 am »

Might want to try and find some way to hide those FTL components. Simus might be a bit confused to see that we're getting some even while we're building (or have built, depending) the facilities to produce them ourselves. At the very least, she'll ask you why you ordered in parts without saying anything - you're in charge of the fleet, after all.

Easy way to hide FTL components - we don't actually have any. :P
And worry not, I have an evil plan. Worst case scenario, if that fails, it's still Steve's orders. Steve's orders, they're like magic. I don't have to explain sh!t. ;D

Also, just an idle thought - I wonder if, if we chose to (not likely, Simus is fairly happy with her lot, and I would think Anton and probably Saint are too) not support Steve anymore, if he could take Hephaestus a second time?

We'd have to unplug ARESTEVE and issue a lockdown so that pro-ARM personnel don't interfere. And then we'd have to operate all defenses manually. Anton could theoretically come up with some new weapons to help with that, but it'd have to be way, way down the line - by then there's no telling what sort of power the Sword itself may be carrying.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2014, 01:30:15 am »

Easy way to hide FTL components - we don't actually have any. :P
And worry not, I have an evil plan. Worst case scenario, if that fails, it's still Steve's orders. Steve's orders, they're like magic. I don't have to explain sh!t. ;D

He'll import the FTL equipment and stasis systems with the next supply run.

She'd note the import - while I don't actually post anything to the effect, I assume that she knows anything going out and coming in, as a matter or principle (also keeps things running fluidly - I can just refer to the wiki instead of trying to recall what she's seen and what she's not). Saying it's on Steve's orders would work, but then she'd just ask Steve, eh?

We'd have to unplug ARESTEVE and issue a lockdown so that pro-ARM personnel don't interfere. And then we'd have to operate all defenses manually. Anton could theoretically come up with some new weapons to help with that, but it'd have to be way, way down the line - by then there's no telling what sort of power the Sword itself may be carrying.

Heck, if we're allowed to plan that far down the line, we could grow a new AI to take over when we unplug Aresteve. But even without an AI guiding defense systems, don't underestimate the ability to fill a region of space with high-velocity bus-sized chunks of metal.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2014, 06:25:33 am »

All them sods bucko
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Stuff like progress reports and such are handed to Simus by ARESTEVE. He is in on the ploy. How would Simus ever find out? Unless she inspects things in person?

Worst case scenario, if that fails, it's still Steve's orders. Steve's orders, they're like magic. I don't have to explain sh!t.
I know right? It's like diplomatic immunity for annoying questions.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2014, 08:20:41 am »

For the armchair commanders, it might be easier to just clone one or two willing PCs a couple hundred times, rather than involve the Doctor or creating a smart Sod template yourself. Potentially gets around the "will they be smart enough?" problem, too.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2014, 03:49:15 pm »

Stuff like progress reports and such are handed to Simus by ARESTEVE.

Now where did you get that idea? From how I play Simus, I think you would expect her to check on things herself if it's not too big a deal to do so (and with only a single shuttle, it's not). Even if she were just checking cargo manifests given to her, there's surveillance everywhere - and I would think, particularly good surveillance at the cargo bay. I'd be willing to bet those FTL units aren't small enough to smuggle out in a pocket.

Of course, the whole thing is impossible to hide anyways - Anton has to use the shipyard to build the things, and Aresteve can't sanitize that report - she'll know at least that something's being built in the shipyard, and that would generate a question. Which would, again, just get kicked upstairs to Steve (or Aresteve) - but hey, the question is still asked.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:05:22 pm by PyroDesu »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2014, 04:04:28 pm »

Now where did you get that idea? From how I play Simus, I think you would expect her to check on things herself if it's not too big a deal to do so (and with only a single shuttle, it's not). Even if she were just checking cargo manifests given to her, there's surveillance everywhere - and I would think, particularly good surveillance at the cargo bay. I'd be willing to bet those FTL units aren't small enough to smuggle out in a pocket.

Of course, the whole thing is impossible to hide anyways - Anton has to use the shipyard to build the things, and Aresteve can't sanitize that report - she'll know at least that something's being built in the shipyard, and that would generate a question. Which would, again, just get kicked upstairs to Steve - but hey, the question is still asked.

You're talking about the guy who secretly built a new kind of power generator in his spare time, and was only discovered and carted off to the HMRC because it accidentally turned out to be a new kind of single-use wave motion gun. Don't underestimate a mad scientist's capability for discreetness. :)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2014, 04:09:07 pm »

Of course, the whole thing is impossible to hide anyways - Anton has to use the shipyard to build the things, and Aresteve can't sanitize that report - she'll know at least that something's being built in the shipyard, and that would generate a question. Which would, again, just get kicked upstairs to Steve - but hey, the question is still asked.

You're talking about the guy who secretly built a new kind of power generator in his spare time, and was only discovered and carted off to the HMRC because it accidentally turned out to be a new kind of single-use wave motion gun. Don't underestimate a mad scientist's capability for discreetness. :)

While living in a fairly normal community. Ever heard of the Radioactive Boy Scout?

Besides, you're going to be taking up an entire orbital shipyard for likely at least a month in real-time. And Simus is admittedly somewhat anal-retentive about things she's put in charge of.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2014, 04:25:34 pm »

While living in a fairly normal community. Ever heard of the Radioactive Boy Scout?

Besides, you're going to be taking up an entire orbital shipyard for likely at least a month in real-time. And Simus is admittedly somewhat anal-retentive about things she's put in charge of.

In the words of Valentine McKee, as he runs away from a pissed-off pre-Cambrian underground tentacle monster and towards a sheer cliff, "I'VE GOT A GOD-DAMN PLAAAAAN!" :P

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2014, 04:38:28 pm »

Of course, the whole thing is impossible to hide anyways - Anton has to use the shipyard to build the things, and Aresteve can't sanitize that report - she'll know at least that something's being built in the shipyard, and that would generate a question. Which would, again, just get kicked upstairs to Steve (or Aresteve) - but hey, the question is still asked.

Thing is, I don't recall you ever saying for simus to do so. And ARESTEVE could probably manipulate video images while they're being streamed. Besides, if those FTL units are just in a big container labeled 'spess shup parts' and ARESTEVE claims it's just a bunch of hull plating, what's Simus gonna do, crack open every crate? And without provocation? And let's say she somehow notices something being build in the shipyard (she also gonna go check that personally?) even then ARESTEVE can just say "oh, it's another defense ship, decided to build it here to test the shipyard" then what? Unless you start playing Simus as incredibly paranoid of ARESTEVE, then I think he could hide it. If needed by creating a little disaster or urgent matter somewhere ("oh hey look, that production line over here went kaput, might wanna help with that for a bit") that would suck up Simus' attention for a little while.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 155