Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 163684 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2014, 02:54:00 pm »

Spoiler: Sod divisions (click to show/hide)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2014, 03:08:25 pm »

I was thinking, and I have a further idea. Can we perhaps have a second commander right there, among the troops? For the cases when QEC wouldn't work - say, alien/eldritch powers at work, or if they ever need to operate in a pocket world, like Samsonite Abyss - it'd be an ideal place for UWM to retreat and make a new base if our troops would lose leadership and cohesion the moment they step through the boundary; and then renewed technological progress, spurred by war, means that, with space magic and all kinds of new physics, they might be able to devise a "jammer". Furthermore, commander in field might have better outlook on the things and so better judgement.
The main problem I see with this idea is how to work out their relationship, seniority and that stuff. We might have to drift even further away from common military approaches here.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2014, 03:29:36 pm »

Well, I think we agreed that flesh sods might go with the sod commander model, since they're gonna be different anyway, and they're kinda like an experimental group.  Also, even if we added commanders, the vast majority of the sods are still unintelligent, so any normal platoon could relatively easily be upgraded to an autonomous platoon by adding a couple intelligent commanders.

I think the safest method of 'seniority' would be "Sod commanders are always superior to sod drones, but always inferior to human commanders.  Rank compared to other sod commanders is based on which one is older, and if there is a disagreement between two sod commanders of equal age, serial number decides the winner."  That last bit might not be the best, but I still don't think it would be terribly complex.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2014, 03:39:37 pm »

Uhhh, do you mean 'sod commanders' as 'commanding sods'? Because I remember 'sod commanders' as they were on Hephaestus, and from what I gathered, they were more like humans upgraded with ranged sod-empathy to control and command them, sitting safely away from the front line.
Also, what do you think of AI officers? (For the sake of safety) Stevelings, like Aresteve, only much smaller and geared for tactical command instead of planetary control?
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2014, 04:36:33 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think the safest method of 'seniority' would be "Sod commanders are always superior to sod drones, but always inferior to human commanders.  Rank compared to other sod commanders is based on which one is older, and if there is a disagreement between two sod commanders of equal age, serial number decides the winner."  That last bit might not be the best, but I still don't think it would be terribly complex.

Yes, that seems a good idea. Would you be amenable to having both (aka smart sods as squad commander, and armchair commanders that can override sod commanders)?

PW, there is a small question for you in the spoiler, would you care to take a look?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 05:06:58 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2014, 04:57:37 pm »

@Nik

I mean normal sods that have been upgraded with improved intelligence.

I think AI officers would be fine, albeit impractical.  We need human gray matter to make those, plus that gray matter needs to be intelligent to begin with, and then it's probably still less intelligent than an equivalent number of humans.  We'd need to do research before we know if it's practical.

@Radio

I have stuff I really should have done awhile ago, so I'm not even going to open that spoiler.  I just know that if I open it, I'll get sucked in.

Expect a reply either Sunday, or maybe Monday.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2014, 05:08:29 pm »

@Nik

I mean normal sods that have been upgraded with improved intelligence.

I think AI officers would be fine, albeit impractical.  We need human gray matter to make those, plus that gray matter needs to be intelligent to begin with, and then it's probably still less intelligent than an equivalent number of humans.  We'd need to do research before we know if it's practical.

@Radio

I have stuff I really should have done awhile ago, so I'm not even going to open that spoiler.  I just know that if I open it, I'll get sucked in.

Expect a reply either Sunday, or maybe Monday.

don't worry, was just about to go back to screaming at statistics myself anyway.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2014, 06:20:43 am »

Is it possible to type out the gist of what a character says, but still use a speech roll to modify it so that they word and deliver it more persuasively? Because right now, I'm pretty much typing what Charles is saying to the prisoner instead of using his enormous speech bonus to try and brainwash the poor sap through a forced speech versus willpower roll since just typing "Charles attempts to proselytize the prisoner (use speech roll, preferably speech versus willpower)" seems a bit lazy along with lacking in direction and roleplay.

Also, how do Hephaestus personnel level up and purchase tokens? Do they just slowly increase the stats that they perform actions related to and become able to request equipment pertaining to that?
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2014, 03:00:53 pm »

Is it possible to type out the gist of what a character says, but still use a speech roll to modify it so that they word and deliver it more persuasively? Because right now, I'm pretty much typing what Charles is saying to the prisoner instead of using his enormous speech bonus to try and brainwash the poor sap through a forced speech versus willpower roll since just typing "Charles attempts to proselytize the prisoner (use speech roll, preferably speech versus willpower)" seems a bit lazy along with lacking in direction and roleplay.

Also, how do Hephaestus personnel level up and purchase tokens? Do they just slowly increase the stats that they perform actions related to and become able to request equipment pertaining to that?

Sure you can, I think.

And while I'm not sure if we level up anymore, we don't bother with tokens. You want a bit of equipment, you get it (just ask Simus first, please, if it's just something for personal use). That's one reason I'm being extremely selective about who gets to come.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2014, 06:07:13 pm »

Oh, I better remember to have Charles request a perfect decomp soon then.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2014, 06:47:10 am »

@Empiricist: You level up whenever you go on a Hephaestus specific mission. There have been 0 of those, however, since most people on Hephaestus don't like the idea of participating in missions.

@Radio Controlled: I always imagined QECs like a network. Each one connects to a central backbone and the backbones connect with each other to form the network. That way everyone can communicate with everyone else without much hassle. Like the internet.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 06:49:04 am by Parisbre56 »

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2014, 07:10:03 am »

That way everyone can communicate with everyone else without much hassle. Like the internet.
With or without superluminal cat photos? :P

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2014, 07:12:36 am »

@Radio Controlled: I always imagined QECs like a network. Each one connects to a central backbone and the backbones connect with each other to form the network. That way everyone can communicate with everyone else without much hassle. Like the internet.

That sounds cool, but would be much worse than a real QEC.

A QEC would be a link between two widely disparate points, and be utterly impossible to break or intercept.  There is a caveat, however, that the two points need to be manufactured together, at the same time and place.  You might well have one end be on a network, but that would mean going back to that network when you run out of medium.  Since we don't want to go back to the UWM capitals to recharge our FTL comms, that would be a very bad implementation for us.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2014, 07:36:16 am »

I was under the impression that we had our own QEC net now, since we refuelled on Hephaestus. That means that Hephaestus is currently the centre of our QEC net, since it provided us with QEC "fuel". So any new QECs we create will be centred on it and just need a supply run from Hephaestus to be refuelled. Once we have spread enough to have more worlds that can manufacture QECs we can link them to allow communication between the two.

Then again, we still have access to UWM's TV, so I might be mistaken. Maybe Steve is somehow hijacking their QEC shipments.

EDIT: Or Steve could be relaying them thorough the normal comms of another world. Or maybe he still has some control over the network since he was the one who developed it. He did say he was using it to disrupt UWM comms.and make it harder for them to organize themselves last time I asked him about it.

@Empiricist: The cat photos are eternal. They shall outlive humanity like the machines of a quiet world.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 07:51:14 am by Parisbre56 »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2014, 03:48:46 pm »

@Sean: You can always build smaller pieces of the ship on the ground and assemble them in orbit.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 155