Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 164233 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #495 on: February 10, 2015, 11:59:37 am »

Irrelevant things that came up from the Hephaestus thread or the below:
Did you build those stuff you wanted to send to Qbaja? Cannon materials/knowhow and stuff? Because you can always dedicate a production/research crew to that.

And perhaps you should consider mentioning that any sensitive equipment we send to allies gets life locked to make reverse engineering it harder.

Did syvarris ever did anything with that machine with buttons he got before the Hephaestus defence?

Has anyone on Hephaestus checked how kinamps work? Because if you can modify them now, you could do things like building kinetic rifles with variable outputs and areas of effect, good for punching holes through stuff safely and without collateral damage.

this, however, I'm not sure about. Are we? I don't think we are mass producing any battlesuits on Hep, though we still have the sword's stock.
Anything new is mass produced to get the mass production discount. Otherwise things like the shard rifle would be more expensive. Therefore, even if we have stockpiles of old battlesuits and are currently not producing any, any new battlesuits we make for HMRC use are going to be mass produced or be more expensive or less efficient.

I'm thinking fire support drone, but those probably also won't be very popular, too practical
Wouldn't a drone run into all the problems flying units have though? Limited armour and being easier targets in exchange for mobility? For example, I'm pretty sure piecewise treated flying as dangerous during the Hephaestus defence. So while drones are nice to have, they fill a different niche.

there's little to be gained from making it battlesuit sized
Not necessarily. Disregarding other advantages like more powerful equipment and higher strength, I don't think armour is little. For example, you can throw HRBs away because you have sods inside them and you don't care if they live or die. However if a soldier is experienced for example and you want to give him even higher chances of staying alive, you give him better armour. Because with our new armour, every layer is like an extra "life" for a soldier, like in those old side scrolling shooter games. So it's just a question of comparing how each impact your resources: cost, survivability, morale and available manpower.

I wonder about weapons with heavy kickback though. I wonder if holding a gun in the classical way won't give more resistance to that, since you can use more of your body to brace the weapon.
You can use other features of the body for LESHO-like weapons, like temporarily locking the exoskeleton and transfering control to the onboard computer, so it can target more easily and absorb the recoil. Maybe the heavy cannon battlesuit even has some sort of advanced recoil dampeners installed in its limbs. Would make sense. Or maybe it has a ball like connection in its waist so every time it fires its top starts spinning around like a... spinning top. *badum tish*

Sure, but that's very circumstantial. It sure could happen, but you can also argue giving Batman-style gadget belts with shark repellant, just in case of mutant sharks from outer space
I dunno, we're giving everyone sharkmist based armour. That thing is biological. And in sci-fi settings, biotech things have a tendency to mutate into killing machines. Even if they don't, the fact that sharkmist can make its way inside the body through a bullet wound should not be underestimated. A knife wound can result into a soldier turning into a suit of armour. So yes, giving our medics some sort of anti-shark vaccine sounds like a good idea.

Then again, landing close is what cost them most of their assets in the first place. Had they landed in a weaker spot, they'd have had at least 3 to 5 times the troops they had, IIRC. Of course, they didn't know we had increased our defenses or had Stevebots to help hunt shuttles.
If they had landed on a weakspot however, they would had been pounded by artillery, stevebots and Sean's ships, with even less of a chance of reaching the base.

But had they landed in a weak spot, and then used LESHO's to snipe our laser batteries
But you don't really need to land to fire LESHOs. If they wanted, they could had attached them to pods or even thrown them from orbit amongst the pods and debris. Even for advanced computers and sensors, it's going to be hard for it to differentiate between debris and cluster nukes. Even the kill droids and battlesuits they sent would had been able to get hit a laser battery had they not been either very poor in their choice of targets or destroyed the moment they landed.

Go look back at the kills made. Quite a few by amps, of course, but not by far the most. Our laser cannons, and artillery, had the most kills.
True about the laser cannon, but that was bound to happen either way. Not sure about the artillery (Do you count all of their kills? :P) but OK. However a very big aid was given by ampers and assorted alien equipment. Saving most of Sean's ships from the bombs. Destroying battlesuits. Stopping the killdroids. Stopping the orbital bombardment. I dunno, maybe I'm remembering it wrongly, not enough time to go back and reread it all, but I feel like space magic played a big part in keeping us safe.

Nope, but Steve does.
Does he? I'm pretty sure that many times he just tosses us in there with no idea about what the hell is going on and just hopes we can sort it out. Even in the first mission when Steve had no idea they had powerful air defences. Of course, after we get in there, start transmitting data and he starts figuring out what's going on, he still doesn't say much unless asked or unless it's crucially important to our success/survival, but I that's because it's more fun that way. Wouldn't be very fun if Steve gave us all the answers and all the right choices the moment he figured them out. Or maybe he doesn't even wants to give all the answers because they're secret. Anyway, it's better to say that piecewise knows and there's a chance Steve might know something too.

If we up tech until mechs are possible, then I could still expect vehicles to have a leg up of sorts.
Pun intended? Anyway, might want to look at how some of those mech units (Renen, Arbiter) can be so fast, if it's not forbidden knowledge. Because if it can be used on vehicles, then insanely fast vehicles. Else, proof of mechs faster than vehicles, (at a much higher cost, of course. Not saying that they would be more efficient).

I'm not sure if it'd ever work in any way, but the idea is hilarious at least ("Dead ahead, ramming speed!")
I dunno, ramming tanks with tanks was used during world war 2 (rarely), so it might come up, if two tanks end up in close combat for some reason. Probably even less useful than for battlesuits though.

On the other hand, it could be useful for APCs, something like the ARSC that can literally drive through enemy defences at high speed using a kinamp to clear its path. One of the modules for that APC chassis I was thinking about was a kinamp rammer up front (and maybe a rocket in the back) for doing something like that. Just need to run some tests to make sure I can prevent the rammer and the vehichle from breaking apart. Would be easier if I could modify the kinamp to manually trigger it just before impact.

I have looked into mass producing Renen-style bodies, but those deteriorate the brain that uses it, unless a specific kind of brain is used.
Like I said, you don't need to make so powerful bodies. Just need to look at what technology they're using and if you can use something less advanced (and thus cheaper) to make mechs/vehicles stronger/faster, perhaps as an after-purchase upgrade. Unless the bodies need constant maintenance or something.

Either we have hit the limits of democracy, or there's foul play at work here. Either way, I propose a tie breaker by rolling for it on random.org. Is it ok if I do this? If not, I'd just let syv decide what he thinks is best, might be easiest.
From my experience with making internet polls, people sometimes feel the ocd need to vote an option just to get an interesting pattern to appear or because nobody else has voted it.

though I hope, paris, that it wasn't too much of a bother to you. I'm sorry if it was
Eh, don't worry, I'm an idiot that likes complaining. You did nothing wrong. I was not in the best mood at the time, so sorry if I said anything bad.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 10, 2015, 01:36:09 pm »

Spoiler: @Simus' plan (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: @Paris (click to show/hide)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 10, 2015, 03:26:12 pm »

On Simus' plan: Hooray! Finally a Hephaestus job offer for Maurice! :P

Seriously though, I feel honoured that you find me up to the task. I did suggest (IC) some stuff to Miyamoto/RC, but only maybe half of that is somewhat relevant, and that took me quite some time to mill over. I'm not sure I can be the perfect Science administrator, but I am certain if I ever took that position I'd do my best and would produce a number of interesting results by myself (apart from pure administrative functioning).
However, I think that there might be two other spheres of Hephaestus crew activity (possible, but mostly unexplored at this point) : social engineering (let's call this domestic affairs) and bio-techs - the latter being all so more important now that we have Q'Bajans' knowledge and tech to allow serious Doctor-independent development. I am not sure these two spheres really need their own distinct managers, but they probably deserve at least looking into.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: February 10, 2015, 05:21:23 pm »

Spoiler: @Simus' plan (click to show/hide)

I would hope he'd like to join us on Hephaestus. Even has good in-character reasoning to, besides the fact both me and Radio think he'd jump at the opportunity.

Rules on rank: We are all equal in rank to one another, but our separate divisions answer only to us and those above us, not to other admins, without permission. Our collective rank is equal to the rank I currently hold in the system, below the Generals but above basically everyone else (technically, we're on the same level as Lars, but still somewhat above him). If there's need of it, executive power can be held by Radio, but me and him agreed democratizing Hephaestus would be a bad idea. Not the worst idea, but not preferable.

Nik: I've been toying around with inviting you for quite a while, but held off because A: you're on mission, B: What role exactly you'd be filling (after all, Syv's character is a lot like yours, only less personable). Now I have a good reason to bring you in. As for social engineering, that's a really small-time thing and pretty much Emp's region. Biotech would fall under the purview of Science (I'm trying to keep the roles as wide as possible while remaining distinct).
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 11, 2015, 04:12:26 am »

I do wonder (and I know I'm being pushy but I end up wondering about these things late at night), who would Charles' request to have access to Xan even go to? If there's no one in particular I can just see that vanishing into the ether.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: February 11, 2015, 05:42:49 am »

I think if we're going to be department heads with equal administrative power, we may as well form a little council of our own. Probably not called as such, though. Parliament? Duma? :P Whatever it's called, the question of Xan's release would probably fall to that governing body. It's not a question of defense, science, engineering, or any single thing exclusively. May as well put it to a vote.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: February 11, 2015, 06:10:48 am »

I now have the image in my head of Xan taking the place of Zod before that one Kryptonian council in Superman 2, watching the various people debate about whether to send him to the Phantom Zone or not.
Sig! Onol

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: February 11, 2015, 06:37:00 am »

Hephaestus Public Senate! As opposed to ARM Secret Council. :P
Also, wouldn't it be a matter of homeland security and thus fall onto the defense department? Just asking.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: February 11, 2015, 06:43:00 am »

I don't have any terroristic intentions!

For the next few millennia anyway.
Sig! Onol

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: February 11, 2015, 07:41:33 am »

I do wonder (and I know I'm being pushy but I end up wondering about these things late at night), who would Charles' request to have access to Xan even go to? If there's no one in particular I can just see that vanishing into the ether.

As far as I know, that would be me.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #505 on: February 11, 2015, 09:59:32 am »

Spoiler: @syvarris (click to show/hide)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: February 11, 2015, 12:59:52 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 01:03:25 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: February 13, 2015, 08:11:38 am »

@Sean Actually, I am afraid, adjective 'blast' is completely irrelevant here. If anything, it's the High Energy Projector that is 'Blast' something, not a weapon created by decreasing the width of 'energy beam'.

HEP -> HER (no, probably not the best... I think you see why :P ) -> HES
What about High Energy Sender? Seeder? Squeezer?
Past Sigs

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 13, 2015, 09:26:44 am »

Variable-Output, Supercooled High-energy Offensive Device?

VOScHOD - i.e. "Voskhod", aka "Sunrise". The "Voskhod" directed-energy weapon.

Heh, I guess you could call it a "Morning DEW". :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 13, 2015, 09:45:07 am »

Only if you scream "DO THE DEW" when you fire it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 155