Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 164237 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
al
« Reply #480 on: February 07, 2015, 06:44:31 pm »

What time is it?

Spoiler: SADOMASOCHISM TIME! (click to show/hide)

Whew, that was quite a ride! Off to bed, I've earned it!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 07:13:02 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #481 on: February 08, 2015, 01:28:54 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note that my point here is not to say "Tanks suck battlesuits rule ban all tanks giant robot combat ftw !!!111one!".
It is to say that a) battlesuits are fun
b)they make sense from a gameplay perspective
c)they offer their own unique balance of features
d)there are situations where that balance of features is more useful and their use makes sense and thus are good to have
e)we're already mass producing them, so we might as well give them to our troops and allies. Because if we'd stopped mass producing them, then they would had become more expensive.

Anyway, that's all I had to say. If you can't agree on those points, there's no point in arguing about petty details. We'll just have to agree to disagree. It's not like I expect you to design those models or order someone else to design them and I assume you are not going to forbid me from designing battlesuit models so all this arguing is pointless.

EDIT: Slightly irrelevant: A thing to consider when using tokens to compare things is that tokens are exponential in their cost. Just because something costs 30 tokens doesn't mean it's thirty times more expensive. It means that it is much more expensive than thirty times.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 01:54:03 pm by Parisbre56 »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #482 on: February 08, 2015, 01:35:17 pm »

You say that bluerad batteries are more cost efficient than generators, at least for short durations.  Say I have a generator that will produce x power for an arbitrary length of time, and a bluerad battery that will produce x power for y days.  At what point is it cheaper (in tokens) to have a generator than a battery?
You know how piecewise is with numbers. You're probably better off asking for an estimate or asking for something relative to something else.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 08, 2015, 07:25:42 pm »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 09, 2015, 04:36:25 am »

Cossault hartlesuit 2.0 design (New Battlesuit design)

Slightly unrelated to the current discussion, but I would approve of the name Cossack.

Also, as an avid proponent of humanoid battlemecha, I am prepared to accept the various inefficiencies they have compared to tanks. Unlike even gunships, that are effectively only different in that they are flying, tanks are just unimaginably boring. Practical maybe, but boring.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 09, 2015, 06:38:04 am »

Spoiler: On topic (click to show/hide)

Also: kudos to RC and Paris for the earlier exciting discussion. I simply stopped from participating for some time, watching as you gave each other the same arguments and fine points that I could suggest, yet then always added some exciting new twists I wouldn't even imagine. It was fun (in a good way), and I really sort of cheered for both sides.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #486 on: February 09, 2015, 08:21:09 am »

@syvarris: Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm saying. I'm not saying we should give all our soldiers giant miniguns because they look cool and force them to use nothing but giant miniguns. I'm saying that since there are some circumstances where giant miniguns are useful and since we have a giant pile of giant miniguns over there, we might as well hand out a few to those of our soldiers that may benefit the most from them.

EDIT: Oh, and it might be better to have two or three tank chassis, one like a tank destroyer, suitable for anti-tank combat with strong weapons and good frontal armour, perhaps trading some of its mobility and ability to target at many angles, one suitable for supporting infantry that looks much like the one you described and something in between.

And me and some friends used to play laser tag in my grandfather's fields with equipment we had bought, so it had a nice mix of cover and open space. And whenever you pulled down the trigger the gun would only emit a short pulse and there was a delay between each pulse, so even if you pulled the trigger again there there would not necessarily be a shot fired. Although we only had front and back chest sensors that had to be hit from a very specific angle, so it made things harder. Someone could have their chest covered and they could still poke their head and hand out and fire without danger, meaning that if someone took a vantage point you'd have to work with the others to flank him. Not to mention that someone could "accidentally" cover their sensor with their arms or bend forwards while they were running, which usually resulted in accusations of cheating and/or fistfights. Ah, now you have me reminiscing like an old man. Anyway, not saying that makes me an authority or anything. Just saying why I'm thinking the way I'm thinking. You're right, shooting guns on the move is hard.

Inspired by battlesuit speed discussion: What if you gave robots a system like the one used by Renen? Someone should look into that. And then make a bird shaped robot that goes "beep beep", goes :P and then explodes.

Irrelevant: The robot apocalypse has begun. The first attack has already taken place. The little killers are already inside our homes! Will you stand idle and let this happen?[/joking]
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 08:23:58 am by Parisbre56 »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: February 09, 2015, 04:26:01 pm »

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 09, 2015, 09:52:25 pm »

Quick non-battlesuit discussion post:

On Sean's Mk III-A design:
Just one point - could you perhaps switch the base exoskeleton power to 1/3 or 2/3? It's hard to benefit from the 1/2 when many people have str/end scores in increments of 1/3 bonus. Oh, are you pehraps counting on them having it at bare minimum of no penalty (3) and summing up with half (7) to the bonus of 2/3 instead of 1/2?
Or maybe, in the light of the new stat system, you should contact Piecewise for a sneak peak of it and adjust according to the new approach.

On MCP-II: I am at a loss. Is it really any worth of upgrading from Mk II? Even if it cannot beat it's price?
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 10, 2015, 07:13:18 am »

Ooh boy, you start school for a day and things explode!

Either way, I'll try to limit myself a bit, since a lot of points were made by other people for me already, and we could keep going into smaller and smaller points indefinitely. I do agree however that, for the ridiculous length it has, the discussion was fun and civil (though I hope, paris, that it wasn't too much of a bother to you. I'm sorry if it was). I'll print us all some medals or something to commemorate.

Ahem, anyways, on to the actual reply.

Inspired by battlesuit speed discussion: What if you gave robots a system like the one used by Renen? Someone should look into that. And then make a bird shaped robot that goes "beep beep", goes :P and then explodes.

I have looked into mass producing Renen-style bodies, but those deteriorate the brain that uses it, unless a specific kind of brain is used. Once one of those is found, it could be emulated with a computer modeled after that brain, or we could clone the organic brain in question. It's yet another thing that's on my list.
(Maybe we should kidnap Renen and put him in the bioforge? But then we need someone to kidnap him. Not it!)
They'll probably be too expensive for making them 'standard' but should be usable as a sort of elite troops. Perhaps the less subtle counterpart to synthbodies?

I've seriously been wondering whether replacing the HRB's bottom two layers of armor is a good idea; it makes it more vulnerable to the small arms fire that it will meet, but less vulnerable to the heavy weapons that it might not.  Is that a good tradeoff?
Perhaps we could look into a composite of our two materials that, while less good at either thing, are good overall and better than battleplate?

Also, as an avid proponent of humanoid battlemecha, I am prepared to accept the various inefficiencies they have compared to tanks. Unlike even gunships, that are effectively only different in that they are flying, tanks are just unimaginably boring. Practical maybe, but boring.

Hah, yeah, you got me there. 'Practical but boring' is something I have no defense against (well, aside that I don't find tanks boring personally) and can't deny being in love with a little. I guess I get some sort of distressing enjoyment out of doing things the best way instead of the flashy way. Woe be me.

And yeah, lets say you have access to the exoskeleton thats under all the battle suit armor.

@ syv: so yeah, it might be worthwhile to see if using a newer model of endoskeleton could net us any additional bonuses.

In related news, the results from the poll are in:

Either we have hit the limits of democracy, or there's foul play at work here. Either way, I propose a tie breaker by rolling for it on random.org. Is it ok if I do this? If not, I'd just let syv decide what he thinks is best, might be easiest.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 07:41:50 am by Radio Controlled »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: February 10, 2015, 10:19:03 am »

Democracy wins by one important vote.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 10, 2015, 11:00:30 am »

... Apparently not.

What did you vote for (assuming you tried to create a tiebreaker)? We'll just use that, seems like it might be the least hassle?

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 10, 2015, 11:24:07 am »

Hey guys. Sorry for not having posted for a long time, but I think Hephaestus has become something I can't handle... alone.

To that end, I would like to propose a change in the administrative system. Instead of Simus being the overlord and the other players being underlings with a lot of free will, I think some decentralization might be in order. Namely, splitting the job of managing Hephaestus into four discreet sections: Defense, Expansion, Engineering, and Science.

The Defense admin will manage construction of fleets, the composition of the forces, building static defenses, so on and so forth. Their job is to ensure that Hephaestus is as hard a target as possible for the UWM to try and take back (Sean would be my choice). The Expansion admin oversees the construction of new facilities and shipping convoys. Their job is to ensure that Hephaestus can pump out as much materiel as is required at any time, and that it can all be delivered where it needs to be (Syv would be my choice). Both of these, Defense and Expansion, will share equal command of construction crews.

The Engineering admin's entire job is to make new designs, and to approve other designs that people make for production. Their job, to make and have made new technologies for the ARM movement (And I would very much like to take this job - as Radio put it, "You seem more like the lone wolf (or, at most, with a small dedicated team) conjuring marvels of destructive science locked up in a lab somewhere, not the human resources manager. And I suspect you enjoy playing the former more than the latter as well.") The Science admin's job is to research artefacts and give new concepts and materials for the engineer to play with (I would like to nominate Nik for this job). Both of these jobs share equal control of Science crews.

What do you guys think? Also, keep in mind this puts me on the same level as the other three - I think I can say I don't want all the power that was given to me at the start. Radio, or Emp, would be in charge of matters like who gets to come on Hephaetus (Though I would recommend still keeping it tightly limited), who gets kicked off if need be, settling disputes, so on and so forth.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: February 10, 2015, 11:42:10 am »

Anton as the Minister of Defense (:P) could work. As long as he can still toss new designs at Simus to advance the war effort, he'll accept it if such a shift occurs.

Expect pop-up laser turrets and cunningly hidden railguns everywhere. (Yes, even there. I have had the silliest Heph System Defense project rolling around in my mind for a while now.)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 10, 2015, 11:49:52 am »

... Apparently not.

What did you vote for (assuming you tried to create a tiebreaker)? We'll just use that, seems like it might be the least hassle?

Tiebreaker was indeed my goal and "Assault suit" was my vote. It's simple enough.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 155