Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 163751 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #2190 on: February 04, 2016, 02:31:53 pm »

Yeah, zeus-lightning bolts.  Since the LEDs and solid light covering the suit are golden, and it's a highly mobile melee fighter, I want to complete the sunbro look by letting it throw lightning.  Sadly, the laws of physics don't seem to be very accommodating today.  Mostly, I was hoping somebody would remember some esoteric xeno tech that we have which would allow such an effect.

Wires might work, and should be reusable, which is more than any of my other ideas.  Not quite the right effect, but close enough...

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2191 on: February 04, 2016, 03:48:01 pm »

Well, the reason I was so happy in the OOC thread was because the Rainbow Cannon has its blue lightning mode. And I just bought some solid light equipment that could have some pretty fun combos. The simplest one being the "Electrify Containment Sphere and Shake Thoroughly".

You could ask piecewise what you would need to do to copy the basic form of blue mode. You know, just the "shoot lightning" part, not the "create unnatural lightning storms" part. I know Hephaestus doesn't exist as a thread anymore, so I don't know how exactly you'd study it. Hence why I said "ask piecewise", since you'll probably have to work out some sort of arrangement with him. Edit: Probably not right now though, since it's not that important.

Or I could just follow Faith around and shoot her whenever she asks me to. You know, assuming you kept the battlesuit's insulation in the new design.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 03:50:32 pm by Parisbre56 »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: February 04, 2016, 03:54:51 pm »

Brain saver helmet: How about 4 tokens like the backpack, + some to make it automated. Okay?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 03:57:28 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2193 on: February 04, 2016, 04:01:03 pm »

Brain saver helmet: 4 tokens like the backpack, + some to make it automated. Okay?
I think the automation is what they were against, because it wouldn't take med rolls. So if you automate it, it is either more expensive or has the same price as the fibroblast therapy (since it's basically the same, doesn't take up a genemod slot but can be damaged more easily). At least that's how I see it with their current logic. By my logic, they could probably allow it to be a bit cheaper than the genemod by adding another drawback. Maybe something like complete inability to use head armor like milnoplate or civil defender's longboat and your head being a giant target.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: February 08, 2016, 04:50:24 pm »

The current council proposal on how to make the automated brainsaver helmet work is to basically grant the user an automatic reroll in case of braindamage, best roll counts, for 6 tokens. Works on regular humans and braincases. We know it's not exactly what you asked, but seeing as how the pw-made alternative is 10 tokens+genemod slot, we don't see a way to get anything near the price range you had without downgrading the effect somewhat. As it is, it would decently decrease the wearer's chances at sustaining braindamage without outright ignoring the mechanic at such a low price (and if people really do want perfect protection from brain damage, there is already the genemod available, which I think also works for braincase brains (eg. the enhanced capacity genemod also works on braincased brains).

For that solid light suit, here are some preliminary thoughts/ideas, but we'll need some feedback from you syv:
-normal slmg and 2 regular slpf are ok.
-no blackout mode.
-slmg doesn't have stat requirements.
-some council members feel the name might be a bit confusing (mostly for pw), since it is still called an assaultsuit/heavy robobody despite losing so many of their features. Not a sticking point, but something you might want to consider basically.
-extra exoskeleton strength: some feel that this would be a bit of a waste, since the suit already is stronger than the average exoskeleton and it seems a lot of extra strength wouldn't help all that much. It might still be possible to get some extra power though.
-However, those people also point out that instead actually letting it fly (in addition to the enhanced movement rockets) would seem like it'd make a lot of sense for the thing and give more utility.
-automated slmg: might be possible, but like pw said isn't compatible with the more freeform version. If you really want this as an option, it might be good to await pw's response in the poke thread so we have an idea of about how many options we should shoot for.

So basically, it becomes a balancing point between the extra exo strength, flight, automated slmg option and the number of slpf. I know you gave a rough idea on the importance of each in the initial write-up, but since there's quite a bit of possible arrangements here, we'd like you to elaborate on this point if you can. Then we can come up with a final version.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: February 08, 2016, 05:13:16 pm »

raaaadioooooo what about meeeeeeeeeeee.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: February 08, 2016, 05:18:34 pm »

Oh right, sorry, forgot to include it. Council basically thinks it really does have too much overlap with Nav's thing to warrant an armory entry. Sorry. You can probably still get a price for it if you wanna buy it for yourself, but even then it'll be close if not outright just an existing laser weapon plus that electro conversion kit in price and function.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: February 08, 2016, 05:20:17 pm »

you cannot cut funding. you will regret this.
*ER wanders off, muttering to itself.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: February 08, 2016, 05:54:45 pm »

If the helmet can't possibly be better than the genemod it's supposed to replace no matter how it's designed then I see absolutely no point to tinkering or adding it to the armoury.

I think the council might be overlooking that due to the different methods used the genemod prevents stat loss from all sources, where the helmet only prevents stat loss from regular temp death. A blow to the head, overuse of space magic, alien soundwaves etc. would still cause stat loss. The helmet can be damaged or destroyed, a genemod cannot. The genemod affects entire body and makes it heal faster and better, the helmet only affects the head. And the genemod is something added by PW literally at the start of the game, alongside everything else we're trying to replace or upgrade, it's due for an update. For those reasons I think the helmet should cost considerably less than the genemod.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 06:06:21 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2199 on: February 08, 2016, 06:11:16 pm »

For what it's worth, I agree with NAV.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: February 08, 2016, 06:52:30 pm »

genemods have always been pointlessly expensive.

give us the fully functional helmet.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: February 09, 2016, 03:32:05 pm »

Why even bother with it?  You might have to go.. one whole mission with a +3 rather than a +4 in the relevant uber-stat.  The game's ending, and stat loss no longer matters.  Having a 'fully functional' helmet that requires no teamwork or effort to use, to avoid something that is no longer relevant as the game is ending.

If avoiding stat-loss was always too unimportant for someone to bother with the genemod, it certainly now isn't important enough that it MUST be available at a cut-rate price.

There's a much easier and straightforward way to enhance the desired but unnecessary power-creep, by making the genemod cheaper.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 03:37:40 pm by Devastator »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: February 09, 2016, 04:06:28 pm »

Ahh, I'm being too harsh on this.  It's still bullshit, anyway.  You found an item that nobody cared about for four years, and now it NEEEEEEDS to be replaced with something op and ridiculously cheap.  If you guys cared about it, it wouldn't be brought up when it no longer matters.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: February 09, 2016, 04:22:00 pm »

Devastator, why are you even here? What you are doing is infinitely more pointless than whatever you think I'm doing.

You have the chain of events wrong. I came up with a design that should work, then the council said it cannot possibly work and brought up something no one cared about for four years. Even though it should be cheaper for both balance and design reasons. That is why I'm arguing. No one is trying to make something ridiculously cheap and OP, just reasonably priced and actually working.

Are you against the entire concept of tinker and attempting to design things or improve the armory?
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 155