Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 163772 times)

Nunzillor

Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #2145 on: January 01, 2016, 07:27:59 pm »

Basically what Nik said.  I suppose it's the concept, oddly enough— their personal use could become a slippery slope.  We already have Green Storm, where the characters can become enslaved whenever their commander wishes.  Allowing sods to come out of the background will just make slavery even more acceptable, and further allow it to creep into the gameplay.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: January 01, 2016, 07:33:58 pm »

Spoiler: @Syvarris (click to show/hide)
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: January 01, 2016, 08:22:12 pm »

Spoiler: @Nun&Nik (click to show/hide)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2148 on: January 01, 2016, 08:28:45 pm »

Don't worry Syv. I agree with you. So that means you're not crazy. Or that we both are. Probably the second one, now that I think about it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: January 01, 2016, 08:29:09 pm »

Players shouldn't be allowed to micromanage Sods, as that would just end up as Sods being extra bodies for players. However, Sods should be deployed as team equipment in any case where they would be helpful, which is most of them. In that case Steve can pay Syv some royalties, because he honestly deserves some for growing a clone army. [/opinions]

Nunzillor

« Reply #2151 on: January 01, 2016, 11:08:13 pm »

I guess you're right... Just because I think something is distasteful doesn't mean others should be forced to alter their behavior.  I can just not engage with that, and ignore it, I suppose.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: January 02, 2016, 02:33:21 am »

No syv, as said, we think it isn't a good idea primarily because it would negatively affect gameplay (lowering risk through remote micromanagement being a big issue) and not from some empty 'gut feeling' (though gut feeling does play a role of course, as it always does). As said, the fact that we could always try to ban/balance the most unsavoury parts was acknowledged when coming to a consensus. If we could just play this by ear, it wouldn't take so damn long to get anything done.

As for sod scenery, it's true that up till now they haven't been used in a big primary role on missions (though in Hep defense they did quite a lot). But even staying within the current mission equipment system, that can change. When I asked pw to allow me to use sods on the arbiter mission, I added the 'they won't go into the colony' clause as a way to actually help smooth over the idea. It was a clear compromise between "allow me to do this thing cause it seems cool and makes ic sense" and "I promise it won't affect the mission too much as to make it an npc event". We can now built upon this and, next time we have a mission where sods would make sense, let them play a more involved role. Then if we see it doesn't really work out, we can easily change again how we use them next time, because they'll still be firmly under gm control. But once you sell one, that'll be much harder (and would probably involve some salt from disillusioned buyers). And yes, it's true that mission equipment sods seemed to perform worse than they should, but that's because pw gives special treatment to player characters.

So hey, maybe if we have a trial mission once where every player is given a personal sod to use, with a few limitations, and we see it works and our fears can be assuaged, then we can still reopen the debate with some actual data in hand. But for now, keeping in mind the various arguments pro and contra and possible balancing attempts, the council's advice remains in the negative.

You do realise that a minimally equipped sod would cost around 30 tokens or more?
Edit2: And probably wouldn't be very useful in the kind of missions we'll be going from now on?
Edit: That is directed to both Syv and the council.

True, but that seems more like an argument for a player not to buy one (and waste his tokens on it) and less an argument on if they should be sold at all. If people wanna waste their tokens, that's not council business.

@morality: one thing I wonder is if the claim 'we already engage in amoral act A, B and C, so engaging in the slightly amoral act D is justified' is a good one. You could say "it is hypocritical to oppose allowing amoral D when other more immoral acts are still allowed" but that just makes the opposers a bit hypocritical (if they don't oppose/work to abolish acts B and C as well), but perhaps not wrong on the "is it immoral" front. So, does the fact that greater evil exists and is being done, justify allowing (herefore non existant) new evil?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 02:49:44 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: January 02, 2016, 03:31:42 am »

I want personal sods for missions. So let's say it works like this:

1. You buy one time license to deploy single sod on single mission with you. Single one use only, like grenades.
2. It's primary orders are to kill things that try to kill you. In other words, if you want to make best use of it, you must be near danger where it is most useful.
3. You can outfit it with your own weapons/armors if you want.
4. You are not permitted to modify or use it in any other way. All you can do is to give verbal orders to it that don't require it going too far away from you. Like poking its head out of cover to see it the laser turret is still shooting.

So treat them like bodyguards. Your safety is their priority which means they may shoot the medic who mistreats you.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: January 02, 2016, 05:13:02 am »

Spoiler: @Syvarris (click to show/hide)
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: January 06, 2016, 12:54:45 pm »

Here are pimpknuckles, ready to go in armory.

Spoiler: Exotic Pimpknuckle (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Swiss Army Pimpknuckle (click to show/hide)

We should decide what to replace the kinamps in Assault suits and Multi-function power gauntlet with. I think that the Swiss Army Pimpknuckle is best option because it has no requirements and only uses base stats, meaning almost any build can use it. Also very versatile.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: January 06, 2016, 01:45:15 pm »

First of all, I don't mind using it in the Multi-function power gauntlet. Frankly speaking, at its availability, it's a slightly ridiculous weapon, unlikely to be ever used - in my humble opinion.

Now, with the assaultsuits, it's a more interesting point... And I cannot accept them replacing the kinamp knuckles. (Note: I can totally see them being added, especially the Exotic ones as load-out for "Exo-type Assaultsuit" variant idea that has been around for quite a while, or possibly the Swiss Army ones as general utility upgrade for assaultsuits - just not as the replacement for the kinamps.)

The reasons are as follows: The kinamps ensure that a battlesuit (oops, assaultsuit) punch, already a frightening event, is absolutely terrifying in close combat. They are specifically for the sake of ensuring melee functionality of battlesuits. As such, any direct replacement needs to fulfill the same role - be a great force multiplier (pun not intended) in case of melee, as unlikely as it comes.
Plasma stakes could work, though they are more of directly powerful weapon than a force multiplier (they don't utilize the significant mass of an assaultsuit); same goes for tesla sabers. Forcefield weapons could work (possibly toned down to ensure the destruction wouldn't damage the assaultsuit - which would result in less than monoatomically sharp edge, meaning mass is more put to use), as could regular "advanced" melee weapons (remember that HUGE cleaver melee battlesuits use? Yeah, that one) - or perhaps something else to be invented.
Still, I think, if the risk is bearable, I'd keep the kinamps there (if offline most of the time) - assaultsuits are already quite powerful and expensive weapons, meaning a certain degree of trust from Steve, so I wouldn't find it a big stretch that the same trust could cover the kinamps. Or maybe they would have to be unlocked before use, and regular pilots would refrain from unlocking them unless Steve gave them the permission (of course, they could "ask for forgiveness later", if the situation really required that - I like leaving little possibilites for "unauthorised modifications" like that in equipment ;) ).

As for pimpknuckles - they do have their use, I can absolutely agree with that, but their use is first and foremost in versatility, not direct force multiplication (once again, pun not intended). It should be "marketed" and added to standard load-out as "versatility upgrade", not a "melee one" - which is what the kin-amps are.
(If we could invent (based on recovered artifacts&samples, as usual) and create a cool "melee upgrade" that would surpass kin-amps without being dramatically more expensive, I'd go for that in a heartbeat. For now, I'm afraid that there isn't any such thing yet.)

This made me think. If we are less likely going to deploy assaultsuits against conventional foes from now on, and more likely to use them in the exploration of other universes, should we perhaps develop an "Exploration" type assaultsuit (similar to the older type of a battlesuit, but utilizing all the cool new toys and materials we now have)? Swiss Army Pimpknuckles would look gorgeous on such a "semi-civilian" model. (They'd be useful on any assaultsuit, but only the type intended for non-combat use would get the most of it, I suppose.)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 01:49:53 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: January 06, 2016, 01:52:33 pm »

I'd be in favor of replacing battlesuit kinamps with a classic rocket-propelled fist.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: January 06, 2016, 02:05:53 pm »

Either rocket propelled fists or piledriver fists (or both) are probably the closest we can get to a kinamp.

Are pimpknuckles approved as a standalone item though?
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: January 06, 2016, 03:22:33 pm »

Sure. Exotic Pimpknuckles and Swiss Army Pimpknuckles are approved for Armory inclusion.

And, while I'm at it, Valkyrie Combat Transport (I believe that's the official name? Correct me if I'm wrong) is approved for Armory inclusion. The old shuttle model is decreed obsolete and is to be removed from Armory. But I believe Radio Controlled still wants an up-to-date description for the wiki reference.
Past Sigs
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 155