Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 163942 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #195 on: January 08, 2015, 06:08:03 pm »

Yeah, there's a lot of awesome stuff in the last Heph turn.  I feel like a kid who had candy waved in front of him, then told that I couldn't have any until I've done my chores and waited awhile.

I want to make stuff with the almost frictionless material.  Efficient exoskeletons!  Efficient planes!  Efficient gun barrels!  Efficient Skates!  Efficient cup holders!  Efficient floors!  Efficient keyboards!  Efficient tables!
I'm getting images of those desaturated "Failure" sections of infomercials, showing people failing menial tasks without the help of the advertised product.

"Efficient guns!"

*Drops gun shoots self in foot*

"Efficient floors!"

*Slips on floor, falls down stairs*

"Efficient tables!"

*Christmas dinner flies across the room and splatters on a wall*

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 08, 2015, 06:18:33 pm »

If I remember, there actually is a near zero friction material that exists.
You should see videos of Mayo in a bottle treated with that stuff, makes it look kinda like a large slug is slip sliding around in the bottle.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 08, 2015, 10:30:44 pm »

ehhh... No, because that's how I used to get around the "can't build something without permission from a superior" rule.  If I do it when Pyro doesn't respond, Pyro says I'm breaking the rule, but if I wait until Pyro okays it, Pyro might as well post it himself.  Beyond that, I already have ten sub actions, although technically nine of them are me providing the information for Pyro's turn.  That's more than my self-imposed, and overly high limit of nine.

It's because it's outside of your scope, really. As I said, your job (as well as Anton's) really centers around research and, to a degree, deployment. If Radio OKs it, then that's fine, but I prefer he puts in the actual order and you ask (and receive) IC. And for you, it should only really be stuff like biochemical forges and the like - Anton is the one who should be requesting ship production and such, and neither of you for things like new types of factory, that should be Radio on his own. You're not an administrator.

And sorry for not posting that much - this thing really accelerated fast, and I've been having to deal with a couple things RL (not least of which being that the place where I can post from is freezing). I'll see if I can't get a coherent action post together tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 11:23:52 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 09, 2015, 02:32:47 am »

Sometimes I feel like going around the wiki and filling it with [citation needed].

Yeah. It's too bad the search function sucks so much on this forum, since that would make finding references sooo much easier sometimes. Especially when searching the entire subforum, a lot is left out, and if you don't remember the thread it was in...

Sometime I'll read through the entire subforum again and finish that artefact page in the wiki. Hopefully.
A work of Augean proportions. Might wanna invest in a few sherpas to help carry the quotes.

It's because it's outside of your scope, really. As I said, your job (as well as Anton's) really centers around research and, to a degree, deployment. If Radio OKs it, then that's fine, but I prefer he puts in the actual order and you ask (and receive) IC. And for you, it should only really be stuff like biochemical forges and the like - Anton is the one who should be requesting ship production and such, and neither of you for things like new types of factory, that should be Radio on his own. You're not an administrator.

As I said, normally I wouldn't have a problem doing it myself, but I'm on mission, so no big post with a million things. Besides, thanks to him things keep happening around there at the moment, so at least he's constructively outscoping.

It seems we'll have to interrogate headless sometime soon for that key. Or at least, for a hint where we can find it. Going out to chase down the cult could be a perfect opportunity for a Hep mission!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 02:40:22 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 09, 2015, 03:16:02 am »

Forum search function sucs, but google is still pretty good. Here's query I use as basis for all searching:
site:http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/ "Einsteinian Roulette"
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 09, 2015, 02:17:03 pm »

Although I never used it, didn't Paris make a forum thread compiler/searcher, that could do useful stuff like sort out only PW posts?  That seems like another useful method of finding stuff. 

I've seriously considered posting little citatation marks after edits of mine, just so that quotes are easily findable.  I've already done that with a lot of the stuff on the weapon statistics page.  It might be a good habit to get in, considering how... variable PW can be.

@Pyro

I get that we aren't admins, but may I ask exactly why it's like that?  I could understand if it's division of labor, just to keep people from arguing about what to expand, but you're around so sporadically that it really hurts Heph if nobody fills in for you.  The current system just makes that harder to do.

Also, why are there the "area of expertise" assignments, like how I'm supposed to handle fleshpits, and Sean handles spaceship construction?  In practice, it means nothing, and doesn't even make sense anyway.  Yes, I focused on fleshpits, because I thought they were important, and Sean focused on ships, because he thought they were important, but that doesn't mean we're more qualified than anyone else to handle them.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 09, 2015, 02:27:36 pm »

Besides, Anton is a weapons engineer. Asking him to build ships is kinda like asking Kalashnikov to design aircraft - I'm sure any fighter jet that can sit submerged in a bog for thirty years, then get hauled out and be battle-ready after ten minutes of cleaning and a refuel, or still take off and fly well after having most of a Saharan dune stuffed into its intakes is going to be an asset to any army air force. But I doubt that those specific qualities are what you should be looking for in a fighter jet before all others. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #202 on: January 09, 2015, 04:13:01 pm »

Although I never used it, didn't Paris make a forum thread compiler/searcher, that could do useful stuff like sort out only PW posts?  That seems like another useful method of finding stuff. 

I've seriously considered posting little citatation marks after edits of mine, just so that quotes are easily findable.  I've already done that with a lot of the stuff on the weapon statistics page.  It might be a good habit to get in, considering how... variable PW can be.

@Pyro

I get that we aren't admins, but may I ask exactly why it's like that?  I could understand if it's division of labor, just to keep people from arguing about what to expand, but you're around so sporadically that it really hurts Heph if nobody fills in for you.  The current system just makes that harder to do.

Also, why are there the "area of expertise" assignments, like how I'm supposed to handle fleshpits, and Sean handles spaceship construction?  In practice, it means nothing, and doesn't even make sense anyway.  Yes, I focused on fleshpits, because I thought they were important, and Sean focused on ships, because he thought they were important, but that doesn't mean we're more qualified than anyone else to handle them.
If I remember right people tried to use it on ER and and started crying. Couldn't handle the girth.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #203 on: January 09, 2015, 04:21:16 pm »

It works fine, although it takes a while to download everything. I use it every once in a while, if there's something I really want to find. Also download threads to my phone for offline reading.

Latest version has a bug that requires a workaround. You need to change your forum time format in the look and layout settings because of the way it sorts posts.

It's an easy fix, just got to take the format from the user's settings or use the standard if they haven't logged in, but I never got around to fixing that because people didn't seem very interested. Haven't had a download since November and I only have a total of 13 downloads.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 10, 2015, 03:52:13 pm »

Quick question: the teleporter tech, what is it based on? The same artifact asthe teleporter gun pan bought via nyars? Because I was gonna send that to Hep to reverse engineer it, but I'm not sure now if that's still neccesary.

Oh, and the mindfuck gun, what artifact was that based on?

Both the mindfuck and teleport systems are based on artifacts recovered during the second mission.

So mindfuck comes from those clearings? But teleport? I can't remember anything related to teleporting.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 10, 2015, 04:15:56 pm »

((The space shipyard is going to be partially occupied by producing transport ships in the shorter term, and in general Anton is strongly against building up any sort of FTL combat fleet at the moment. The latter is due to his belief that we can't outfight the UWM on equal technology terms, and it will be better not to waste resources building ships that will be no more than cannon fodder. Instead the focus should be on creating new warship weapon systems and similar force multipliers, so that the comparatively few ships we can produce will be able to outfight the greater numbers of UWM ships.))

Then you and whoever wants to help you better get on the research and designing part of that plan, and fast.

I'd rather have a medium sized outdated fleet than a high tech non-existant one.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 10, 2015, 04:38:32 pm »

Already working on that, partially. I'll know tomorrow if the cutting beam idea will have any scalable applications. Or whether it will even work. :P

If it works well enough, a scaled-up version for spaceship main guns will be the next project.
(If it doesn't, Anton can work on that one special project next, and hope that it works without exploding this time.)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 10, 2015, 05:22:42 pm »

Already working on that, partially. I'll know tomorrow if the cutting beam idea will have any scalable applications. Or whether it will even work. :P

If it works well enough, a scaled-up version for spaceship main guns will be the next project.
(If it doesn't, Anton can work on that one special project next, and hope that it works without exploding this time.)

I eagerly await the results.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 10, 2015, 05:38:42 pm »

On the subject of dealing with battle suits - The best option is almost certainly ' Get the sods in close '. Remember during the Heph assault when those two sods casually leaped behind the battlesuit, jammed its legs with a pair of batons, and popped the hatch to reveal the juicy ARM interior in exactly 1 turn?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 11, 2015, 12:46:17 am »

@ Ao Teleport?

Just sleepy guessing, but the forest area with the UWM troopers around some wreckage might be the source.  Whenever somebody walked too far in any direction, they'd end up walking back to the wreckage.  It stopped when they fried the seed, so it could have been a teleportation thingermajigger.

@Dorsi

Back when Flint was attacked by sods, he got three rolls to avoid being boarded.  A dex roll to avoid the inital baton shoving, an Aux roll to override the hatch opening, and another dex roll to grab the sod climbing into the suit before he got shot.  The only reason the sod got as far as he did was Flint rolling two twos.  Plus, I think the batons only jammed his legs, rather than breaking them.  Requiring a BS pilot to roll three failures in a row, at melee range, seems like a bad primary method of dealing with then.  Hence why I want to make a weapon sods can use at a distance, and which doesn't give multiple rolls to dodge.

Anyway, I already know we have methods of dealing with BSs at melee range.  The Mythril penetrator some guy made can stab right through BS plate, and doesn't give three rolls to avoid it.  I still dislike the idea, because getting close to a battlesuit is likely very difficult to do without significant casualties.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 155