Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 163769 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #1785 on: August 25, 2015, 03:51:59 pm »

And now we have fieldable anti-magic stuff?
We have a pretty good anti-magic armour, a good alternative to our current shield automanipulators but it's not perfect, not impregnable.
A) There are things/effects that it doesn't protect against.
B) It might cause the shield to overheat and burn the user, or worse explode.
C) It might block friendly space magic or guns/equipment that utilize space magic.
D) It doesn't protect against indirect attacks. Someone can still throw a giant rock at you. But at lest they can't turn your head into a rock.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: August 25, 2015, 03:56:56 pm »

Note: further testing will be needed for these new artifacts, so there might be some drawbacks yet (like with forcefields and their tendency to explode fiercely). But still, GET HYPE!

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: August 25, 2015, 04:00:15 pm »

HYPE HYPE HYPE
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: August 28, 2015, 06:01:48 pm »

Sure I suppose.

Then I'll go add it to the armory.
Naughty boy RC, cannot wait for proper Hephaestus admission! :P
(Inb4 Yes, it sounds useful (=I'd approve it), but at the moment the people admitting things to the Armory are currently unavailable. Please wait until either they're back, or dead. Which won't be too long, either way.)
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: August 28, 2015, 06:06:32 pm »

Sure I suppose.

Then I'll go add it to the armory.
Naughty boy RC, cannot wait for proper Hephaestus admission! :P
(Inb4 Yes, it sounds useful (=I'd approve it), but at the moment the people admitting things to the Armory are currently unavailable. Please wait until either they're back, or dead. Which won't be too long, either way.)

Renegade4life

But seriously, I already added them and wrestled with the lay-out a while to get it (semi-)right. You can remove them if you wanna hold fast to the Hep checkpoint thing (in which case you should appoint a replacement or depute next time, to prevent this kinda thing) but only if you promise you'll add them in again yourself later!

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: August 28, 2015, 07:17:17 pm »

Nah, no problem. Especially since the Armory page still waits for the scheduled rework/removal (off to somewhere else) of not-on-officially-approved-list items. I can even state that yes, I'd approve that inclusion.

I just wanted to make it known that I am still unavailable for armory inclusion approval, if designs get submitted&Council approved in the mean time (and there isn't some hidden preferential treatment for the Board of Generals). Now sir, what else would you like approved ahead of schedule while the peons suffer, as befits them? We have the finest system of progressive bribes suited specifically for the refined tastes of ARM nobility...
Past Sigs

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: August 29, 2015, 09:46:09 am »

Nah, no problem. Especially since the Armory page still waits for the scheduled rework/removal (off to somewhere else) of not-on-officially-approved-list items. I can even state that yes, I'd approve that inclusion.

I just wanted to make it known that I am still unavailable for armory inclusion approval, if designs get submitted&Council approved in the mean time (and there isn't some hidden preferential treatment for the Board of Generals). Now sir, what else would you like approved ahead of schedule while the peons suffer, as befits them? We have the finest system of progressive bribes suited specifically for the refined tastes of ARM nobility...

Well, the kugelblitz has council and PW approval, just waiting on you, so if you're offering :P
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: August 29, 2015, 09:55:40 am »

I do like the treatment of space-magic artifacts as if they were anti-space magic artifacts.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1793 on: August 29, 2015, 11:23:52 am »

Yeah, it's pretty realistic. I mean, can't you use a radio transmitter to jam communications instead of facilitating them? Then why shouldn't you be able to use magic to make an anti-magic field?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: August 29, 2015, 10:37:59 pm »

mostly I'm referring to something that produces a certain effect that might counter other effects commonly caused by space magic, but no protecting from space magic itself.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1795 on: August 30, 2015, 05:04:24 am »

mostly I'm referring to something that produces a certain effect that might counter other effects commonly caused by space magic, but no protecting from space magic itself.
Not necessarily. We know space magic appears when certain configurations of matter and energy appear. Protective  automanipulators use sensors that detect the effect of space magic (increased temperature/gravity/etc) and counter them. The current artifact however could work differently. It could be using space magic to detect the impending emergence of space-magic-inducing patterns (those that are in its database anyway) and then using space magic to keep them from coming to fruition, so it could be targeting the cause of space magic instead of the effect.

Unless you want an artifact that "destroys" space magic in a certain area. That sounds difficult. Space magic is part of this world, so it would be like asking for an artifact that can destroy gravity, instead of merely affecting it.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: August 30, 2015, 05:47:15 am »

I'm not sure you're right, Paris.  Protective automatics might only detect anomalous forces and act to oppose them, not making a difference between sources of those forces.  I'm pretty sure you can't bypass a temperature protective automanip simply by being in naturally hot or cold conditions.  If the artifact can put out a normal fire, it isn't anti space magic at all.

Also, an artifact that actually destroys space magic would be an actual anti space-magic artifact.  I doubt it would be any more odd than any of the other effects through exceptionalism which are normally called space magic.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 05:50:22 am by Devastator »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1797 on: August 30, 2015, 06:05:13 am »

I'm pretty sure that temperature protection automanipulators can protect from both microwave amps and lasers, meaning they act on the effect, not the cause. Since they can be controlled by electronics, all you'd need is the right kind of sensor and algorithm. Maybe temperature sensors all over the suit that when they detect a large sudden difference in temperature, they activate the automanipulator which in turn returns a certain area to a preset temperature.

For the second thing, are you talking about in-universe or in general? Because if such an artifact existed, it would make a profound change to our in universe understanding of the universe. Of course since it's a story, odd things can happen, it doesn't mean anything happening there would necessarily happen in RL. Reality bending overshoots don't happen in RL either. But such an artifact would be odd from an in-universe perspective.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: August 30, 2015, 06:56:38 am »

I don't think the in-universe understanding would change much at all, for instance, we already have anti-magic rods.  It also strikes me as odd to expect an effect that exists for entirely unknown reasons to be wholly reliable.  I mean really, if you don't know why it works in the first place, how could you say that it must always work under all conditions?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1799 on: August 30, 2015, 08:33:10 am »

I don't think the in-universe understanding would change much at all, for instance, we already have anti-magic rods.
What is their difference from the current artefact?

It also strikes me as odd to expect an effect that exists for entirely unknown reasons to be wholly reliable.  I mean really, if you don't know why it works in the first place, how could you say that it must always work under all conditions?
I do not understand what you're talking about. Too vague.
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 155